Author Topic: Mark Price Let Go -- FIRED  (Read 5522 times)

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
on: December 14, 2017, 10:57:46 am
https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/941335823517175813

Breaking: @Charlotte49ers release basketball coach Mark Price from contract. Houston Fancher taking over as interim coach. Details coming.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:53:07 pm by moss2k »

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:18:10 am by Mr. Bojangles »

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:09:46 am
How the hell does he get fired, yet Brad doesn't. I was fine with letting him finish the season, but come on....
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Head of Barstool 49ers, follow us on twitter and Instagram @barstool49ers

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:36 am
Something is amiss matey's.........can't wait to hear these details !

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:20:15 am
lavelle moton. i think he would be a perfect fit.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:48 am
Judy this isn't going to help your cause.

Savio

• Senior

89NinerGrad

• Walk On
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:34:49 am
Another hire by Judy that did not pan out.  I was excited when Mark was hired but he could not recruit the type of athlete needed to compete.  From what I have read here he wasn't much of a coach either. 

I wonder given the current regime if guys like Cedric Ball or Frank Persley would even be given consideration? They were prop 48's as I remember.  I wonder if our coaches are allowed to recruit HS athletes like them or do they not meet the minimums academically?

Not holding my breath for this getting turned around anytime soon.
Proud Niner Class of 89
:49ers:

N1NER

• Junior
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:36:44 am
Nail in Judy's coffin!  She's done here!

mojoniner

• Freshman
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:42:09 am

That would be a great hire. Of course they will probably keep Franchor as coach.

Will the recruits that signed early look to be getting released?

SadNiner

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:44 am
What about retaining our stellar recruiting class?

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:51:06 am
Wow. I’m guessing they thought this would appease the fan base. All the did was stoke a fire which, lets be honest, was starting to dwindle. AD needs to address this now or go. No way you keep Lambert and fire Price.

ProudNiner13

• Walk On
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 11:54:20 am
Seriously, what the hell is going through the heads of this administration? Absolutely baffled by their decision making.
Hating the Tar Holes since '89

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:12 pm
I'm not surprised at all. I think that Price was at least as much of the instigator as Judy....(my son just told me that Hudson Price is gone too,which makes me think that it was more "he was fired" rather than him just saying "hey,i'm not doing the job and i'm not a good fit here"...

I feel bad and have zero hostility towards Price...I think he's a good guy,but not a very good recruiter or gameday coach and he just was watching the team deteriorate with no good answers.

Regardless of what happens with Judy we're a long way from respectability and it's a long road and a couple of real aggressive and talented head coaches from being back on any map.

That said,as many others have...Keeping Lambert and firing Price....??? Unless we get a REAL A.D. we're S.O.L.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:12 pm
WTF???????

WHAT THE ABSOLUTE CRAP IS GOING THROUGH THIS ADMIN'S HEAD?
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Pork Chop

• Senior
Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 12:13:54 pm

Yes, please
"You sir are the greatest poster ever." - NLP

"I don't know if the ban stick is big enough to take the 'Chop man down." - Niner Advocate

"Pork Chop's 'stache deserves its own thread." - Hooner49

Two Millionth Fan at a home 49er basketball game 11/24/2003

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 12:19:31 pm
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article189735574.html

“I”m still stunned to be honest,” Price told the Observer. “I was called in this morning and was told they were going to make a change. “They said they didn’t like the direction of the program was taking and that I might have lost some of my players, which I don’t agree with.”

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:10 pm

Yes, please

LeVelle Moton, Tim Cluess, John Becker, etc.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:11 pm
This seems reactionary to me, like Rose and Dubois completely misjudged the reaction they were going to get on the Lambert decision but felt like that was now a done deal, so they swung this pendulum to the opposite side and have misjudged the appropriate action here too.

This has to send a confusing message to any coaches that we might want to hire--do we pull the trigger on getting rid of you too slow, or too fast?  I know I am confused.
#unc-CHeatingPays

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 12:37:07 pm
This seems reactionary to me, like Rose and Dubois completely misjudged the reaction they were going to get on the Lambert decision but felt like that was now a done deal, so they swung this pendulum to the opposite side and have misjudged the appropriate action here too.

This has to send a confusing message to any coaches that we might want to hire--do we pull the trigger on getting rid of you too slow, or too fast?  I know I am confused.

Does this mean you have now jumped on the FireJudyAndPhil bandwagon?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 12:50:08 pm

This means that I disagreed with the decision to keep Lambert, and I don't understand the decision to fire Price at this point in the season.  If Judy feels that Fancher can turn it around and win more games maybe this makes sense, but if we don't win more then what is the point?  I said last March that I suspected Judy would retire after the Exponential Campaign came to a successful conclusion and I still believe that.  The bandwagon is going to make her life miserable, but I do not think it will change the outcome, so no, I will not be tilting at this particular windmill.
#unc-CHeatingPays

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 12:51:54 pm

This means that I disagreed with the decision to keep Lambert, and I don't understand the decision to fire Price at this point in the season.  If Judy feels that Fancher can turn it around and win more games maybe this makes sense, but if we don't win more then what is the point?  I said last March that I suspected Judy would retire after the Exponential Campaign came to a successful conclusion and I still believe that.  The bandwagon is going to make her life miserable, but I do not think it will change the outcome, so no, I will not be tilting at this particular windmill.

This may very well be true. But she has made a large portion of each our lives miserable. So if that’s all we accomplish, it will be worth it in my opinion.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 12:57:31 pm
Don't see the point of not letting him finish out the season, unless there were other issues that couldn't wait. Wonder if we'll ever find out. May have been players coming to complain to the administration?

It does seem like there's serious issues with the team. Upperclassmen have obviously played poorly. But you'd hope that there's more to it than just observing their play to take such a drastic action.

So we spiral down a little further now. Time for someone new to pick the next coach.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 01:00:00 pm
Just heard this. A complete miscalculation that will result in a worse team this year and another horrible Judy Rose hire. This is a disaster.

When I thought it couldn’t get worse it does.

This is a nightmare people.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 01:03:08 pm
It seems extremely likely that Jon Davis will leave.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos