Author Topic: Mark Price Let Go -- FIRED  (Read 5523 times)

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #75 on: December 14, 2017, 09:27:29 pm
Rose coming out saying Mark Price lost the players.  Which Price said he did not agree with.  Rose is spinning this against Mark Price.  Like she had  to do something.  Rose is digging this hole so much deeper.  If the bad press doesn't get our Chancellor or BoT moving to have her resign, what will??
Wasn't the word on the street the AD 'was encouraged' to hire Price?  So why the surprise when the guy is failing like Hal Wissel?

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:05 pm
Rose coming out saying Mark Price lost the players.  Which Price said he did not agree with.  Rose is spinning this against Mark Price.  Like she had  to do something.  Rose is digging this hole so much deeper.  If the bad press doesn't get our Chancellor or BoT moving to have her resign, what will??
Wasn't the word on the street the AD 'was encouraged' to hire Price?  So why the surprise when the guy is failing like Hal Wissel?
Definitely ironic that until now with Fancher taking over for the reminder of the season, Wissel was the only Niner HC who had D-I experience as a head coach prior to coming to Charlotte. Hmm...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:39:41 pm by Run49er »

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #77 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:46 pm
Definitely ironic that until now with Fancher taking over for the reminder of the season, Wissel was the only Niner HC who had D-I experience as a head coach prior to coming to Charlotte. Hmm...
Really?  From the Google Machine:

"In announcing Wissel's appointment, UNCC AD Clyde Walker called Wissel "the top D2 coach in the country"

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #78 on: December 14, 2017, 10:07:08 pm
Really?  From the Google Machine:

"In announcing Wissel's appointment, UNCC AD Clyde Walker called Wissel "the top D2 coach in the country"
No arguing Wissel's success at Florida Southern but still find it ironic that as the only Niner HC until today with prior D-I head coaching experience also hands down the worst HC in Niner D-I history!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #79 on: December 15, 2017, 12:28:16 am
I will be curious to see his contract, but I have to believe it is just like all the others since Bobby Lutz--you get your base pay, less any amount you earn elsewhere, until the end of the term.  So probably less than $700,000 minus his earnings.  I could see him not taking another job for a while though.  Advantage of being a millionaire.
#unc-CHeatingPays

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #80 on: December 15, 2017, 03:41:40 am
I will be curious to see his contract, but I have to believe it is just like all the others since Bobby Lutz--you get your base pay, less any amount you earn elsewhere, until the end of the term.  So probably less than $700,000 minus his earnings.  I could see him not taking another job for a while though.  Advantage of being a millionaire.

He took the job here partially because he didnít want to move out of the city of Charlotte. He made a lot of money in the NBA and decent money as an NBA assistant. He easily could sit the next 2.5 years and draw his million+ Charlotte paycheck and play golf almost everyday. His image is still intact as a Cavs legend. He is always welcome visit Cleveland to do personal appearances and say whatís up to Lebron James & Co. Not a bad life.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #81 on: December 15, 2017, 05:06:40 am
When Bobby was s*** canned there is a presser acting like standards and markers exist.  90 rpi, 6000 fans not enough, etc.  Muscle flexing because it was personal.

When Major canned - presser??  nope.

Price???  negative.

Lambert heat? crickets from her then Dubois wfnz fail

Why???  oh to hide from accountability??  Yes!!  Thats disgusting,  Ivory tower, out of touch, PR  debacle, double standard, gutless, DMV level mgr move. 

Face.....the.....music of your s*** decisions.  You are a state gov employee making more than congress and senators using student fee about to collect MASSIVE pension from NC tax payers.

The times Judy Rose loves a camera to brag on her killer mgmt advice (time life balance bs, i dont do social media chat pages) VS runs away from a camera when her choices sour are a huge indictment of character.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:39:33 am by punchdrunk »

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #83 on: December 15, 2017, 01:05:14 pm
When Bobby was s*** canned there is a presser acting like standards and markers exist.  90 rpi, 6000 fans not enough, etc.  Muscle flexing because it was personal.

Price???  negative.

Why???  oh to hide from accountability??  Yes!!  Thats disgusting,  Ivory tower, out of touch, PR  debacle, double standard, gutless, DMV level mgr move. 

Face.....the.....music of your s*** decisions.  You are a state gov employee making more than congress and senators using student fee about to collect MASSIVE pension from NC tax payers.

The times Judy Rose loves a camera to brag on her killer mgmt advice (time life balance bs, i dont do social media chat pages) VS runs away from a camera when her choices sour are a huge indictment of character.

They tried to hide the Major firing during selection Sunday.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/article14539379.html

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #84 on: December 15, 2017, 01:09:28 pm

Price???  negative.

It's literally one of the worst traits to have as a leader.  When things go right take full credit and when things go wrong never take ownership.  It's management 101 on what not to do. 
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #85 on: December 15, 2017, 05:24:44 pm
Tanner Smith has moved up to Assistant Coach.  He seems like a nice guy so it is probably bittersweet for him to get the job this way, but hey, it is a promotion.
#unc-CHeatingPays

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #86 on: December 15, 2017, 06:12:34 pm
http://www.espncharlotte.net/gerry-v-show-tom-sorensen-2/

Posted in the SB. Tom really doesn't hold back on this one. Having him on our side could be great for media coverage.

amnesiac

• Junior
Reply #87 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:24 pm
Excellent move.

as i said was not on board with this hire, first red flag was when he could not keep the guys who were already on campus when hired.... i am sure the calculation was he could recruit them to stay by the Admin.

As I said his career here would be judged by his 2nd Fall Recruiting class... and it didnt happen, clearly he had no plan.

Mullins/Watkins/Lutz/Major(he may of had the same) had potential recruits stacked 2 deep wanting to be in our starting line ups...

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #88 on: December 15, 2017, 11:07:53 pm
Excellent move.

as i said was not on board with this hire, first red flag was when he could not keep the guys who were already on campus when hired.... i am sure the calculation was he could recruit them to stay by the Admin.

As I said his career here would be judged by his 2nd Fall Recruiting class... and it didnt happen, clearly he had no plan.

Mullins/Watkins/Lutz/Major(he may of had the same) had potential recruits stacked 2 deep wanting to be in our starting line ups...

We should fire the next coach too if they donít retain all of our current roster and potential recruits!  ???

amnesiac

• Junior
Reply #89 on: December 15, 2017, 11:17:00 pm
ha!.... what was the probability of his future success here at this stage?

how was he going to turn it around?, recruiting.... new assistant coaches...coaching strategy...

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #90 on: December 15, 2017, 11:57:32 pm
ha!.... what was the probability of his future success here at this stage?

how was he going to turn it around?, recruiting.... new assistant coaches...coaching strategy...

Firing a coach this early in the season provides no benefit period. If you fire a third year coach you do it after the season finale. Once again you are gutting the team to build all over again. It will take the next coach years to build to a stable place. Judy Rose has the worst timing with coaching extensions or firings.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #91 on: December 16, 2017, 08:14:05 am
Excellent move.

Had Judy allowed them - Braswell and others would have left Majors team.  Mark not being able to keep Dorn and Wiids shouldn't be seen as a mark against him.  That's normal if the AD is granting releases. 

The reason why this was so poor is not based on basketball but on the business side.  At the conclusion of the season I believe there was a high probability of him resigning.  This saves the school money as it would have been a negotiated buyout and it looks better as the coach opting to leave vs being fired and helps with hiring the next guy.

Instead we fired a guy not even half way through his 3rd season and in the process owe the balance of his contract and lose who has been our second best player all for what? To maybe not suck as much for the rest of the season?  The team is still deeply flawed.  Maybe a miracle happens and  they turn it around, but u expect to maybe get an emotional bump then limo thru conference play. 

We easily could have just finished out the season and and at the conclusion allowed him to resign or fire him then.   Just a cleaner way to do things. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:18:26 am by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #92 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:07 am
Excellent move.

Had Judy allowed them - Braswell and others would have left Majors team.  Mark not being able to keep Dorn and Wiids shouldn't be seen as a mark against him.  That's normal if the AD is granting releases. 

The reason why this was so poor is not based on basketball but on the business side.  At the conclusion of the season I believe there was a high probability of him resigning.  This saves the school money as it would have been a negotiated buyout and it looks better as the coach opting to leave vs being fired and helps with hiring the next guy.

Instead we fired a guy not even half way through his 3rd season and in the process owe the balance of his contract and lose who has been our second best player all for what? To maybe not suck as much for the rest of the season?  The team is still deeply flawed.  Maybe a miracle happens and  they turn it around, but u expect to maybe get an emotional bump then limo thru conference play. 

We easily could have just finished out the season and and at the conclusion allowed him to resign or fire him then.   Just a cleaner way to do things.

EXACTLY! But once again Judy has mis-marketed our university. Outsiders will look at this as WOW, Charlotte just fired hall of famer Mark Price halfway through the season. That is not the way we want to be seen.

But at the same time, he needed to be fired at the end of the season, so Judy, you go girl! Thanks for adding more fuel to the fire.

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #93 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:59 am
Excellent move.

Not to mention just a better image for new candidates.  If the record is bad at the end of the season there is some justification, but canned 1/3 of the way through the 3rd season is seen as not giving the guy a chance.  If Fancher gets a decent record out of the team will it be seen that Fancher is such a good coach or that they didn't give Price enough time?  It is a no win situation for the AD at this point, but they will try to spin it for sure.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #94 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:06 am
Did Mark recently argue with a ref in front of CHP?  That's a great way to end a coaching career at this school, whether your RPI is in the 300s or in the top 100.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:41 pm
Why did she fire Price if she was going to announce her retirement a month later?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #96 on: January 04, 2018, 10:03:58 pm
Why did she fire Price if she was going to announce her retirement a month later?

Hint hint - she wasn't aware she would be announcing her retirement.  Don't let the pressed fool you.
Mahna Mahna

bertholemew

• Walk On
Reply #97 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:16 am
This actually works out pretty well, I think. Now Fancher can remain the interim Coach for next season to give the new AD time to evaluate him. If he doesn't impress, no pressures of having to make a big decision on letting him go. That's a plus since they'll also being replacing the football coach (more than likely).

mojoniner

• Freshman
Reply #98 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:26 am
This actually works out pretty well, I think. Now Fancher can remain the interim Coach for next season to give the new AD time to evaluate him. If he doesn't impress, no pressures of having to make a big decision on letting him go. That's a plus since they'll also being replacing the football coach (more than likely).

I think that would continue to hurt recruiting because of the uncertainty of the coaching staff.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #99 on: January 05, 2018, 08:50:01 am

I think that would continue to hurt recruiting because of the uncertainty of the coaching staff.
I'm hoping our 2019 recruiting class is not what exists now...but committed to a BCS team currently and  comes over with the new staff we hire.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos