Author Topic: Bring back Bobby Lutz!!!  (Read 17810 times)

Colorado49er and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #250 on: January 09, 2018, 01:28:45 pm
I'm on the fence with Bobby, but when discussing his tenure under Phil remember:

He was allowed to go into the last year of his contract
He was leaned on with the type of players he was recruiting
His wife was told to be quiet
He was told to be more controlled on the sideline
He lost his assistants

Bobby's time in the A10 wasn't great but it was not entirely on him.
When we went to the A10 Bobby also said that you cannot recruit kids from the South that are interested in playing a bunch of small private Northeastern schools.  He was wrong of course--Richmond, VCU, and Davidson do just fine--but when your HC thinks he can't get it done, he can't.

Maybe he has changed his perspective, but I want a coach that builds a team that can step on the court with anyone.

Bobby admitted he didn't prepare for the recruiting shift as he should have.  He was the last coach we had that put teams on the floor that could step on the court with anyone. 

I do think though we need to look elsewhere as we try to get things straight.  Oddly enough if Judy had stayed I would have been much more pro-Bobby.  With her gone though, I think we have a unique clean slate opportunity.
Mahna Mahna

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #251 on: January 09, 2018, 01:59:12 pm
I'm on the fence with Bobby, but when discussing his tenure under Phil remember:

He was allowed to go into the last year of his contract
He was leaned on with the type of players he was recruiting
His wife was told to be quiet
He was told to be more controlled on the sideline
He lost his assistants

Bobby's time in the A10 wasn't great but it was not entirely on him.
When we went to the A10 Bobby also said that you cannot recruit kids from the South that are interested in playing a bunch of small private Northeastern schools.  He was wrong of course--Richmond, VCU, and Davidson do just fine--but when your HC thinks he can't get it done, he can't.

Maybe he has changed his perspective, but I want a coach that builds a team that can step on the court with anyone.

Bobby admitted he didn't prepare for the recruiting shift as he should have.  He was the last coach we had that put teams on the floor that could step on the court with anyone. 

I do think though we need to look elsewhere as we try to get things straight.  Oddly enough if Judy had stayed I would have been much more pro-Bobby.  With her gone though, I think we have a unique clean slate opportunity.
Agreed. Our roadblocks from her leadership are gone. I'd take Bobby as a basketball ops director or hire him as BB consultant in a heartbeat.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #252 on: January 09, 2018, 02:27:15 pm
Would Bobby come back as an associate AD?

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #253 on: January 09, 2018, 02:50:53 pm
I know for a fact, Bobby asked to be part of the university when he got fired.  Dubois wasn't having it. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #254 on: January 09, 2018, 03:13:46 pm
I know for a fact, Bobby asked to be part of the university when he got fired.  Dubois wasn't having it.

#Truth
Mahna Mahna

ninermac

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • http://www.ninernation.net
Reply #255 on: January 09, 2018, 03:19:44 pm
Whether he's coach, associate AD, or just a well thought of alum and ex-coach. Something needs to be done to mend that fence.

Regardless of your opinion on our A-10 years with him, our rise and the period of time we all associate with Good Niner athletics is a lot shorter and less enjoyable if he hadn't been here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:21:30 pm by ninermac »

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #256 on: January 09, 2018, 04:42:44 pm
Someone get in touch with him and get him to show up for a home game and see what kind of response he gets !
Suggestion not very fair to Fancher is it ?!

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #257 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:25 pm
clt says the train will be running between campus and hornets arena just in time for our ncaa games.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #258 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:06 pm
clt says the train will be running between campus and hornets arena just in time for our ncaa games.
Delays are inevitable, but this is ridiculous.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #259 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:58 pm
Whether he's coach, associate AD, or just a well thought of alum and ex-coach. Something needs to be done to mend that fence.

^^^^ This. That's not all.  While we're mending fences, we need to bring Cornbread back to campus on a regular basis too.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #260 on: January 10, 2018, 09:58:16 am

^^^^ This. That's not all.  While we're mending fences, we need to bring Cornbread back to campus on a regular basis too.

Ugh! The only way to get Cornbread back on campus is to put up a statue of him, declare it Cedric Maxwell Day, and pay for his travel expenses.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #261 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:14 am

Ugh! The only way to get Cornbread back on campus is to put up a statue of him, declare it Cedric Maxwell Day, and pay for his travel expenses.

That was the case with old AD who took things personal and made every criticism as fuel to a fire.  New AD might be smart enough to bury the hatchet, give Cornbread some of the props he wants and get him back in the fold.
Mahna Mahna

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #262 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:39 am

You sound so much like admin sometimes lol.  Red carpets needed.  Guess that wasn't in the servant leadership seminar.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #263 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34:40 am

I have no problem with that !
I think we should be featuring and honoring a former played at every damn home game !

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #264 on: January 10, 2018, 10:47:57 am

That was the case with old AD who took things personal and made every criticism as fuel to a fire.  New AD might be smart enough to bury the hatchet, give Cornbread some of the props he wants and get him back in the fold.
I don't think this is an AD thing, it is a Cornbread thing.  His tenure as a needy alum far exceeds Judy's time here.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #265 on: January 10, 2018, 10:48:26 am

He was Grand Marshall of our first Homecoming Parade for football in 2013. Talked to him briefly there. I remember him being a little involved during that first football season.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #266 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:24 pm

I don't think this is an AD thing, it is a Cornbread thing.  His tenure as a needy alum far exceeds Judy's time here.

Oh he is needy and demanding and a self perceived alpha dog and has a self inflated ego.  Judy doesnt do well managing those types.  New AD offers an opportunity to mend that bridge. 
Mahna Mahna

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #267 on: January 10, 2018, 02:30:09 pm

Oh he is needy and demanding and a self perceived alpha dog and has a self inflated ego.  Judy doesnt do well managing those types.  New AD offers an opportunity to mend that bridge.
If Cornbread really is as described there, why would you want to mend the bridge? I know he's a hero from the distant past, but do we need the drama?

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #268 on: January 10, 2018, 02:41:20 pm

Yep. Judy is probably as responsible for the bad feelings as Cornbread is.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #269 on: January 10, 2018, 07:23:34 pm

If Cornbread really is as described there, why would you want to mend the bridge? I know he's a hero from the distant past, but do we need the drama?

Hmm needy, inflated ego, alpha dog mentality and demanding - that's an big athlete for you.  Cornbread, like him or not (and I don't really), represents the highest we have ever climbed.  We need to be on better terms with him.
Mahna Mahna

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #270 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:01 pm

Hmm needy, inflated ego, alpha dog mentality and demanding - that's an big athlete for you.  Cornbread, like him or not (and I don't really), represents the highest we have ever climbed.  We need to be on better terms with him.
Hey, our first Bobble Head was of "Bread"   MC probably had something to do with that I believe

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #271 on: January 14, 2018, 05:24:18 pm

It looks like Bobby has left the Windy City Bulls staff.  Is he living in Charlotte now?  I am pretty sure he sold his house in Harrisburg several years ago.  It looks like something is afoot.

Bobby is spending this season "consulting and observing":  https://twitter.com/bobby_lutz/status/946773560814702592

Bobby is apparently in Charlotte:  https://twitter.com/bobby_lutz/status/950782947338149891

Lutz at the Cox Mill and Lincoln Charter games:  https://twitter.com/Coach_Rick57/status/941095276890263552

Lutz on WFNZ talking about the Charlotte 49ers: https://twitter.com/TBoneWFNZ/status/941444639814504448

The Bobby Lutz Story
https://www.facebook.com/events/933525670143356/
#unc-CHeatingPays

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #272 on: January 14, 2018, 06:22:57 pm

It looks like Bobby has left the Windy City Bulls staff.  Is he living in Charlotte now?  I am pretty sure he sold his house in Harrisburg several years ago. 

Yes, Bobby is living in the Charlotte Metro area now, but not in Harrisburg.

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #273 on: January 14, 2018, 06:23:27 pm
How would it feel to have Lutz as HC at ECU?  If we do not jump on him that is what will happen.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #274 on: January 14, 2018, 07:08:33 pm
How would it feel to have Lutz as HC at ECU?  If we do not jump on him that is what will happen.
Why would I care about the head coach at ECU?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos