Author Topic: Bring back Bobby Lutz!!!  (Read 18525 times)

ninermac

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • http://www.ninernation.net
Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 10:38:14 am
I'm not sure I'd be All In on a return, but damn if I don't get chills watching the old videos...

IF there was a concrete plan in place, I'd take it... Maybe Lutz is brought in to stabilize and put in a solid foundation, knowing he will move to Associate AD when the time is right so that we can continue upward progress.

Given our last few hires, football included, a little fire on the sidelines would be welcomed.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 10:48:02 am
Lutz hits the ground running and knows all the ins and outs of Charlotte sports. Judy isnít going to hire anyone better. Give Lutz the Jeff Mullin role to stabilize and hand the keys to another coach in 4 or 5 years.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:42 am
If Bobby comes back here we know Judy and Phil are desperate.  I still don't see that happening.  Sooooo much bad blood.
Mahna Mahna

49ER9ER

• Walk On
Reply #53 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:01 am
I am aware there were a number of fans that were highly frustrated in Lutz last year, especially with the disappointment at the end of that season. In lieu of what we have had the last 8 years, I would take that year over and over again. At least there was hope then and we were on the verge of postseason play.

Bobby can coach, recruit, and rebuild the program. He knows the environment better than anyone else we could go after allowing him to negotiate the right environment for success. He is an alumni and carries tremendous passion.

Most importantly, unlike the most recent years, I truly enjoyed every single game I attended when he was at the helm. I seldom missed a game. Everyone has to keep in mind that this is currently a challenging environment to be successful. This has been proven by the existing and previous coaches that I personally think are very qualified.

Bringing back Bobby is an absolute no-brainer. Can you imagine the passion and drive he would have the second go around? This has the potential to make everyone look good... both the athletic department and the University.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 11:26:08 am
I am aware there were a number of fans that were highly frustrated in Lutz last year, especially with the disappointment at the end of that season. In lieu of what we have had the last 8 years, I would take that year over and over again. At least there was hope then and we were on the verge of postseason play.

Bobby can coach, recruit, and rebuild the program. He knows the environment better than anyone else we could go after allowing him to negotiate the right environment for success. He is an alumni and carries tremendous passion.

Most importantly, unlike the most recent years, I truly enjoyed every single game I attended when he was at the helm. I seldom missed a game. Everyone has to keep in mind that this is currently a challenging environment to be successful. This has been proven by the existing and previous coaches that I personally think are very qualified.

Bringing back Bobby is an absolute no-brainer. Can you imagine the passion and drive he would have the second go around? This has the potential to make everyone look good... both the athletic department and the University.

By the same token, can you imagine how ugly it'd get if things didn't turn around in the way that met our expectations? It's like an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. You break up and date a few other awful options, then the ex doesn't seem so bad anymore. But low and behold, you get back together and it's no time before you go, "oh, right...THAT is why we broke up."

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 11:30:52 am
This is the worst thread on NNN

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:54 am
Bobby's downfall had more to do with the decisions made over his head and lack of support, so he started to fail in his job.
My speculation anyways.
Even in times I was displeased with his performance......had I known we'd get to this point.....I would have paid him myself !!!!!

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 11:48:45 am
Bobby's downfall was recruiting and assistant coaches.  Both of those can be pinned on admin.  We wouldn't pay assistants enough so they left and then Judy allowed him to go to the very end of his contract in a conference where he was already struggling to adjust to recruiting wise. 

Bobby's style of play was ahead of it's time.  If we look at the reliance of the 3 in the college game today - that is where we were 15 years ago.  We would absolutely run a team out of the gym. 

On defense he was recognized nationally for his advanced defensive tactics, both under Melvin and as HC.  IMO the issue was he stopped getting the players he needed to effectively run it and to his fault he didn't shift or change his thinking.  The result was a really poor defense, but no worse than what we have seen recently.   It can also be traced to my first point.

Would I take Bobby back?  Yes.  I believe him when he says he is a better coach now than he was before.  He got time to learn at a few other schools and reflect on his methodology. 

Do I think Judy and Phil would swallow their pride and ask him to return?  No.
Mahna Mahna

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 11:53:35 am

By the same token, can you imagine how ugly it'd get if things didn't turn around in the way that met our expectations? It's like an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. You break up and date a few other awful options, then the ex doesn't seem so bad anymore. But low and behold, you get back together and it's no time before you go, "oh, right...THAT is why we broke up."

This sums up my fears with bringing Bobby back.  Although, he may have acquired some new tricks over his time away from the program.  Plus, it would depend on who he hired as assistants also.  I would definitely want him to hire someone who is an ace recruiter.  Also, I would hope his teams would have more of an attention to detail (this is what makes coaches great I believe, is their obsession with the details).

I back off of my previous statement that if they hired Bobby back, they would lose me.  I guess I should have really said that I would be very very cautious about that hire.  I would want to see some change in those areas that would drive me crazy about his teams in those final years.  But, I would still support them to be honest.

49erDrummer

• Junior
Reply #59 on: December 15, 2017, 11:57:46 am
Y'all.

The fact that this thread even exists in earnest is borderline nuts.

Come on.

charlottefan

• Walk On
Reply #60 on: December 15, 2017, 11:58:20 am

IF there was a concrete plan in place, I'd take it... Maybe Lutz is brought in to stabilize and put in a solid foundation, knowing he will move to Associate AD when the time is right so that we can continue upward progress.

I would take this in a heartbeat.

NLP49

• Administrator
  • Walk On
Reply #61 on: December 15, 2017, 12:13:07 pm
Talk to me about Lutz when Rose is fired. That's all that matters right now.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #62 on: December 15, 2017, 12:17:58 pm
Y'all.

Come on.
If you get 500 applicants, and can't see their names.  His goes to top of list:

5 NCAA as HC
Multiple conf titles
Asst under Hoiberg
Asst at Ncsu
Uncc alum
Local media love
NBA asst

pcon

• Senior
Reply #63 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:08 pm
Y'all.

Come on.

This...Judy will never hire him back.  She always wants the upper hand.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #64 on: December 15, 2017, 12:43:27 pm
Re: Lutz as a defensive coach.

Charlotte vs. Tenn
Announcer #1 "The Vols are slicing through Charlotte's defense like a hot knife through butter."
Announcer #2 "Like a hot knife through non existent butter"

Ah, good times. Good times.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #65 on: December 15, 2017, 12:52:55 pm
I'm not sure I'd be All In on a return, but damn if I don't get chills watching the old videos...

Agree.  Watching the videos of what we used to be makes me even more pissed at Judy and Phil.

Given our last few hires, football included, a little fire on the sidelines would be welcomed.

That's not a bad idea.  Knowing Bobby, he might get us back to post season just out of spite. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #66 on: December 15, 2017, 01:19:44 pm
Y'all.

Come on.

5 NCAA as HC
Multiple conf titles
Asst under Hoiberg
Asst at Ncsu
Uncc alum
Local media love
NBA asst
and scratch golfer

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #67 on: December 15, 2017, 01:32:55 pm
Y'all.

Come on.

5 NCAA as HC
Multiple conf titles
Asst under Hoiberg
Asst at Ncsu
Uncc alum
Local media love
NBA asst
Bob knights resume would be better.

49erDrummer

• Junior
Reply #68 on: December 15, 2017, 01:52:53 pm

5 NCAA as HC
Multiple conf titles
Asst under Hoiberg
Asst at Ncsu
Uncc alum
Local media love
NBA asst

While I've got as much love for Bobby as anyone, and he's a Niner legend, it's also not quite as simple as cherry picking the high points without mentioning timelines or context.

That's like saying that poop "doesn't really smell that great."  It's not a lie, but it doesn't exactly convey the whole truth either.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #69 on: December 15, 2017, 02:11:55 pm

5 NCAA as HC
Multiple conf titles
Asst under Hoiberg
Asst at Ncsu
Uncc alum
Local media love
NBA asst

While I've got as much love for Bobby as anyone, and he's a Niner legend, it's also not quite as simple as cherry picking the high points without mentioning timelines or context.

That's like saying that poop "doesn't really smell that great."  It's not a lie, but it doesn't exactly convey the whole truth either.

The timeline was bad conf choices and chancellor hire.  Hard to produce if boss undercuts your strat.  Lutz would now have leverage and say this is how we roll damnit.  Personally think its a grandslam to get him and 8000 there first night.  This board is micro, the macro would love it.  Tons of marketing potential also. 

Besides isnt AD about body of work  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:15:30 pm by punchdrunk »

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #70 on: December 15, 2017, 02:45:56 pm
I canít really imagine Judy or Phil rehiring Lutz, as it would essentially would be an admission that they were wrong in the first place to fire him. Humility is not an area of strength for either.

That being said, I could also see them getting desperate enough to bring him back in an attempt to regain at least some short term fan satisfaction.

Either way, nothing will happen until the offseason.

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #72 on: December 15, 2017, 02:59:57 pm
I think this ship has sailed and it's likely for the best.
We are the number 1 school in the conference when it comes to attendance for soccer.- Phil Dubois

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #73 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:09 pm
I canít really imagine Judy or Phil rehiring Lutz, as it would essentially would be an admission that they were wrong in the first place to fire him. Humility is not an area of strength for either.

That being said, I could also see them getting desperate enough to bring him back in an attempt to regain at least some short term fan satisfaction.

Either way, nothing will happen until the offseason.
well said

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 04:18:42 pm
All time winningest coach, alumni, knows how to recruit to Charlotte, and tons of passion for the school. He has gained tons of valuable experience since leaving Charlotte.

Lol no

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos