Author Topic: Next Coaching Hire  (Read 5640 times)

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 03:53:10 am
I really don’t think Judy will hire our next coach.

I’m predicting that Judy is fired in March and that we hire a new AD to make this important hire. Then Lambert will be fired right after the football season. This time next year we have a new AD, new MBB coach and new FB coach.

This makes wonderful sense but David Scott said yesterday he doesn’t see any changes from Judy or Phil. Judy will run this place like a third world dictator as long as she wants.

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 07:23:23 am
Most successful coaches understand the importance of accepting jobs in good environments. Read an interesting article about Houston's reason for signing a 10 year extension at JMU- this sentiment being echoed by him. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if our AD is creating the best environment to attract a future successful coach.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 07:35:46 am
Whoever the new coach winds up being, I still push for Dink and Demarco to be a part of the program.
But a serious push needs to be made for Danny Morrison to be the new AD.
Experienced, Professional, knows football and has contacts.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:54 am
clt expects major to be back. He is healthy now.

brinsone

• Walk On
Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 08:03:41 am
Which sane, qualified coach would accept a position under Rose now? 

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 08:39:43 am

This was brought up on 730 on my drive to work this morning. It will be next to impossible to find a qualified coach unless there is a leadership change. Our next coach will likely be someone already on staff or a complete nobody trying to make a name for himself.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:56 am

This.  Some people keep saying "There are people out there that will take this job" . That's true, but to the outside world we are a dumpster fire, and it's clear as day.  We just canned an NBA legend with NBA coaching experience after 2.5 years.  Anybody with any coaching acumen knows this is a dumpster fire.  If Judy picks our next coach, it will be a nobody. 

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:46 am
I am not in favor of hiring Bobby Hurley's dad, but interesting words from an outsider how tarnished the 49er brand now is.  #MissionAccomplished

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/12/15/16779990/bob-hurley-is-bored-and-frustrated-heres-an-idea-charlotte-49ers
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:56:46 am by punchdrunk »

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 08:56:33 am

This.  Some people keep saying "There are people out there that will take this job" . That's true, but to the outside world we are a dumpster fire, and it's clear as day.  We just canned an NBA legend with NBA coaching experience after 2.5 years.  Anybody with any coaching acumen knows this is a dumpster fire.  If Judy picks our next coach, it will be a nobody.
I don't know who is considered a nobody but I know for sure we're not going to poach a high level coach from someone.  Never have, never will. 

That said, there are plenty of candidates that would take the job.  You take a guy like Nick McDevitt at UNCA just as an example.  Do y'all really not think a guy making 125K or so in Asheville wouldn't jump at 350K or so at Charlotte?  I think y'all are not figuring the economics into this equation...

Whomever we hire they better be able to recruit.  John Wooden himself couldn't win with what we're trotting out there right now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:03:40 am by hootie »
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:16 pm
If that clown was brought back, I would walk away for good after being here since Lee Massey's freshman year.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 09:12:16 pm
If that clown was brought back, I would walk away for good after being here since Lee Massey's freshman year.

I would walk away for good too, and I was here prior to Lew Massey's freshman year. A move like that would be Judy and Phil's way of saying a big F-U to the fanbase.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 09:14:14 pm

I don't know who is considered a nobody but I know for sure we're not going to poach a high level coach from someone.  Never have, never will. 

That said, there are plenty of candidates that would take the job.  You take a guy like Nick McDevitt at UNCA just as an example.  Do y'all really not think a guy making 125K or so in Asheville wouldn't jump at 350K or so at Charlotte?I think y'all are not figuring the economics into this equation...

Whomever we hire they better be able to recruit.  John Wooden himself couldn't win with what we're trotting out there right now.

Economics does matter. But is 350 a year for a couple years better if your career is ruined in three years under Rose? Or would you rather live like a god at a lower level school? No one worth a damn is going to make the jump to our school.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 01:31:17 pm

That said, there are plenty of candidates that would take the job.  You take a guy like Nick McDevitt at UNCA just as an example.  Do y'all really not think a guy making 125K or so in Asheville wouldn't jump at 350K or so at Charlotte?I think y'all are not figuring the economics into this equation...

Economics does matter. But is 350 a year for a couple years better if your career is ruined in three years under Rose? Or would you rather live like a god at a lower level school? No one worth a damn is going to make the jump to our school.
.    What a load of bs

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #39 on: December 24, 2017, 02:04:21 pm

.    What a load of bs
Whatever 91.  its spot on. 

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #40 on: December 24, 2017, 04:44:33 pm
A lot of it depends on what other jobs are out there.

If money and conference are relatively equal, no one is going to pick Charlotte considering the chaos in place. Especially if they have a kid who’s going to play for them. We just burned bridges with a name guy and his kid after 2 years and 7 games. Maybe, just maybe it would have been a good idea to let this year play out and see what Prices thoughts were after his kid finished up. He might have chosen to walk away with his dignity intact.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #41 on: December 24, 2017, 05:48:38 pm
A lot of it depends on what other jobs are out there.

If money and conference are relatively equal, no one is going to pick Charlotte considering the chaos in place. Especially if they have a kid who’s going to play for them. We just burned bridges with a name guy and his kid after 2 years and 7 games. Maybe, just maybe it would have been a good idea to let this year play out and see what Prices thoughts were after his kid finished up. He might have chosen to walk away with his dignity intact.
yep .  Price clearly wasn't cutting it, but the season wasn't going to take a drastic turn for the better by firing him in December. Just a bad, bad look for an already struggling athletic department.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #42 on: December 25, 2017, 04:06:17 pm

.    What a load of bs
.   "NO ONE worth a damn will" come to our school, huh?  The rest of the post is fine, but this blanket statement is crap.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:07:50 pm by 919R »

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #43 on: December 25, 2017, 04:09:19 pm
We just fired a head coach after less than 2.5 years. Fan support in the toilet. AD department many fans are refusing to support no matter performance. I can't imagine a proven winner choosing us.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #44 on: December 25, 2017, 05:34:41 pm

.    What a load of bs
.   "NO ONE worth a damn will" come to our school, huh?  The rest of the post is fine, but this blanket statement is crap.
All you gotta do is watch the Will Wade debacle. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #45 on: December 25, 2017, 06:13:47 pm
No proven coach with significant obvious upside would come here I think is the more appropriate statement. 

That isn't really an issue though because that isn't who Judy has been able to hire in the past anyway.  The reality is before and definitely now - our job has limited appeal.  We aren't high up enough in the chain to get another mid major coach coming here.  Sure we may pay more than some, but if they have their eyes on a higher profile job they opt to stay where they are and strengthen their resume. 

IMO where we are today is either hiring a retread coach, see Fancher, or an assistant that no one really knows, see Major.  Someone like Will Wade or Hopkins isn't working in our current environment.  Sadly I think the only chance we have is to just get lucky and guess right and that's with football or basketball.  Now if we dump Judy and clean the slate - who knows.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:21:23 pm by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #46 on: December 25, 2017, 06:28:10 pm
We got a guy that was an college legend to coach us with a helluva NBA career and we can't get someone who is an up and comer to triple his salary??  That's comical.

To say you can't win here just because of the AD isn't fair either.  What do you need to win?  Not a hard question.  TALENT.

Major got talent unfortunately he couldn't coach it.  We need a guy that can recruit AND coach.  Plenty of guys would jump at this job for 350K, don't fool yourself just because we all want Judy gone.  It's a good job in a good city.

We suck now and I'm not disputing that.  Is the AD a trainwreck??  Absofuckinglutely.  The next guy definitely will have some hurdles, not disputing that either.

But- I firmly believe the right person can still win here and he's out there,  I just wish we knew who the hell he was for sure.

[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #47 on: December 25, 2017, 09:08:15 pm
No proven coach with significant obvious upside would come here I think is the more appropriate statement. 

That isn't really an issue though because that isn't who Judy has been able to hire in the past anyway.  The reality is before and definitely now - our job has limited appeal.  We aren't high up enough in the chain to get another mid major coach coming here.  Sure we may pay more than some, but if they have their eyes on a higher profile job they opt to stay where they are and strengthen their resume. 

IMO where we are today is either hiring a retread coach, see Fancher, or an assistant that no one really knows, see Major.  Someone like Will Wade or Hopkins isn't working in our current environment.  Sadly I think the only chance we have is to just get lucky and guess right and that's with football or basketball.  Now if we dump Judy and clean the slate - who knows.
.    Thank you...... exactly. This is NOT the same as "no one worth a damn".

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #48 on: December 25, 2017, 09:10:19 pm
We got a guy that was an college legend to coach us with a helluva NBA career and we can't get someone who is an up and comer to triple his salary??  That's comical.

To say you can't win here just because of the AD isn't fair either.  What do you need to win?  Not a hard question.  TALENT.

Major got talent unfortunately he couldn't coach it.  We need a guy that can recruit AND coach.  Plenty of guys would jump at this job for 350K, don't fool yourself just because we all want Judy gone.  It's a good job in a good city.

We suck now and I'm not disputing that.  Is the AD a trainwreck??  Absofuckinglutely.  The next guy definitely will have some hurdles, not disputing that either.

But- I firmly believe the right person can still win here and he's out there,  I just wish we knew who the hell he was for sure.
.   100% agree with this post and the person you are talking about here would be "worth a damn".

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #49 on: December 25, 2017, 10:03:42 pm

I think we can get an up and comer, but not one that is high profile.  The Bobby Hurley type guys are skipping us and going right to the big league.  They aren't going to risk their resume on a Charlotte job to make an extra 100K a year when staying where they are will net them millions.  We will get the Alan Major's of the world - who are WAY under the radar.  The issue is they are under the radar for a reason and its a bigger roll of a dice than normal.

Knowing and learning some of the behind the scenes issues that are going on that are directly tied to the AD - makes this job an even harder reclamation project than we know.  Add into that we fired our all time winningest coach and just fired an NBA legend after 2.5 years - this job, while having tons pf potential, is a very daunting task for someone to come into.
Mahna Mahna

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos