Author Topic: Next Coaching Hire  (Read 5616 times)

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #50 on: December 25, 2017, 10:09:16 pm
We got a guy that was an college legend to coach us with a helluva NBA career and we can't get someone who is an up and comer to triple his salary??  That's comical.

To say you can't win here just because of the AD isn't fair either.  What do you need to win?  Not a hard question.  TALENT.

Major got talent unfortunately he couldn't coach it.  We need a guy that can recruit AND coach.  Plenty of guys would jump at this job for 350K, don't fool yourself just because we all want Judy gone.  It's a good job in a good city.

We suck now and I'm not disputing that.  Is the AD a trainwreck??  Absofuckinglutely.  The next guy definitely will have some hurdles, not disputing that either.

But- I firmly believe the right person can still win here and he's out there,  I just wish we knew who the hell he was for sure.

I think we can get an up and comer, but not one that is high profile.  The Bobby Hurley type guys are skipping us and going right to the big league.  They aren't going to risk their resume on a Charlotte job to make an extra 100K a year when staying where they are will net them millions.  We will get the Alan Major's of the world - who are WAY under the radar.  The issue is they are under the radar for a reason and its a bigger roll of a dice than normal.

Knowing and learning some of the behind the scenes issues that are going on that are directly tied to the AD - makes this job an even harder reclamation project than we know.  Add into that we fired our all time winningest coach and just fired an NBA legend after 2.5 years - this job, while having tons pf potential, is a very daunting task for someone to come into.
100% agree.  We are not going to get a Bobby Hurley that already has bucks and has K in his corner.  I'm saying we can get a Nick McDevitt type from UNCA that, BTW, is making 114K a year- looked it up.  I hope nobody is nave enough to think that a guy with kids and a mortgage wouldn't sign a 1.2M contract for 4 or 5 years when barely making 6 figures. 

As they say on Monday Night Countdown Come on man..
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #51 on: December 25, 2017, 10:25:14 pm
We got a guy that was an college legend to coach us with a helluva NBA career and we can't get someone who is an up and comer to triple his salary??  That's comical.

To say you can't win here just because of the AD isn't fair either.  What do you need to win?  Not a hard question.  TALENT.

Major got talent unfortunately he couldn't coach it.  We need a guy that can recruit AND coach.  Plenty of guys would jump at this job for 350K, don't fool yourself just because we all want Judy gone.  It's a good job in a good city.

We suck now and I'm not disputing that.  Is the AD a trainwreck??  Absofuckinglutely.  The next guy definitely will have some hurdles, not disputing that either.

But- I firmly believe the right person can still win here and he's out there,  I just wish we knew who the hell he was for sure.

I think we can get an up and comer, but not one that is high profile.  The Bobby Hurley type guys are skipping us and going right to the big league.  They aren't going to risk their resume on a Charlotte job to make an extra 100K a year when staying where they are will net them millions.  We will get the Alan Major's of the world - who are WAY under the radar.  The issue is they are under the radar for a reason and its a bigger roll of a dice than normal.

Knowing and learning some of the behind the scenes issues that are going on that are directly tied to the AD - makes this job an even harder reclamation project than we know.  Add into that we fired our all time winningest coach and just fired an NBA legend after 2.5 years - this job, while having tons pf potential, is a very daunting task for someone to come into.
100% agree.  We are not going to get a Bobby Hurley that already has bucks and has K in his corner.  I'm saying we can get a Nick McDevitt type from UNCA that, BTW, is making 114K a year- looked it up.  I hope nobody is nave enough to think that a guy with kids and a mortgage wouldn't sign a 1.2M contract for 4 or 5 years when barely making 6 figures. 

I would love to think Judy has done her homework and has a list of potential coaching hires in case Fancher does not work out. But in reality, I doubt she does. She never has before.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #52 on: December 26, 2017, 07:04:48 am

I would love to think Judy has done her homework and has a list of potential coaching hires in case Fancher does not work out. But in reality, I doubt she does. She never has before.

Shell make an impulsive hire based on random factor.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #53 on: December 26, 2017, 07:27:58 am

1.2 mil?  Not following the math. 

Here's the thing.  Would a 112k guy come?  Maybe.  Probably quite a few.  Problem is the future factor and self worth.  The only guys interested in being UNCC HC would be the sorts who have no ambition. If they had ambition and bright future they don't touch a Judy Rose job.  We are now the GRAVEYARD of hiring.  Will Wade now looks genius!!   

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #54 on: December 26, 2017, 08:13:45 am
1.2m is total value of contract.

Teamarete

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 05:26:12 pm
How about bart lundy at queens or sharman white at Georgia state as options?

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 06:10:02 pm

Buddy her kitchen floor is just littered with cover letters, this next hire will be determined by penmanship.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 06:34:11 pm

Buddy her kitchen floor is just littered with cover letters, this next hire will be determined by penmanship.

Judy is using this as a job board.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:40 am
clt says this will show the importance of a good cover letter.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #59 on: January 02, 2018, 10:24:38 am
I feel like we need to spend about $1 million/year to get the coach we need.  We have burned all of our incremental change opportunities with no payback, and now we need a proven winner to reverse this seemingly endless slide into obscurity within a 3 year period.  I just don't know if we can afford it.  I put the chart below together off the top of my head, so I did not dig to find contracts to verify it.  If I am missing the boat somewhere let me know, but primarily I wanted to map out who I thought we were paying to coach, and not to coach, our team.

Season          Head Coach          Past Coach
2009-2010          Bobby Lutz         
2010-2011          Alan Major          Bobby Lutz
2011-2012          Alan Major          Bobby Lutz
2012-2013          Alan Major          Bobby Lutz
2013-2014          Alan Major          Bobby Lutz
2014-2015          Alan Major         
2015-2016          Mark Price          Alan Major
2016-2017          Houston Fancher (I), Mark Price          Alan Major
2017-2018          New Coach          Mark Price
2018-2019          New Coach          Mark Price
2019-2020          New Coach          Mark Price
2020-2021          New Coach         
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:38:11 am by Nugget »
#unc-CHeatingPays

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #60 on: January 02, 2018, 11:43:13 am
I feel like we need to spend about $1 million/year to get the coach we need.  We have burned all of our incremental change opportunities with no payback, and now we need a proven winner to reverse this seemingly endless slide into obscurity within a 3 year period.  I just don't know if we can afford it.  I put the chart below together off the top of my head, so I did not dig to find contracts to verify it.  If I am missing the boat somewhere let me know, but primarily I wanted to map out who I thought we were paying to coach, and not to coach, our team.

this basically screams:
#firejudyrose

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #61 on: January 02, 2018, 11:47:23 am

It looks really bad once you see the dollars attached, even worse when you consider the amount of funding they get from student fees and even worse than that when you hear them say money constraints limit what we can do. 
Mahna Mahna

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #62 on: January 02, 2018, 11:56:55 am

It looks really bad once you see the dollars attached, even worse when you consider the amount of funding they get from student fees and even worse than that when you hear them say money constraints limit what we can do.
and EVEN WORSE when you calculate our average RPI since 2010 ended is #211 and DROPPING!

If we are paying 2 coaches for eternity would be nice to WIN

ninerID

• Athletic Director
Reply #63 on: January 02, 2018, 12:03:38 pm
2016-2017          Mark Price          Alan Major
2017-2018          Houston Fancher (I), Mark Price          Mark Price

I think i fixed it.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

ninermac

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • http://www.ninernation.net
Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 12:07:37 pm

I think i fixed it.

So, essentially we were sandbagging on about a Half Million a year we could have been using for coaching upgrades. It seems we've had no problem in paying that much extra to people on permanent vacation.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #65 on: January 02, 2018, 12:22:46 pm

I think i fixed it.

So, essentially we were sandbagging on about a Half Million a year we could have been using for coaching upgrades. It seems we've had no problem in paying that much extra to people on permanent vacation.

BINGO
Mahna Mahna

Star Wars Maniac

• Walk On
Reply #66 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:35 pm
from 2005-06 until last season we have 176-183 overall record (79-102 conference record A10/new CUSA) thats is what we have fallen to since we last made it to the big dance thats pathetic

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #67 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:41 pm
Season                Head Coach                Past Coach
2009-2010                Bobby Lutz                
2010-2011                Alan Major                Bobby Lutz
2011-2012                Alan Major                Bobby Lutz
2012-2013                Alan Major                Bobby Lutz
2013-2014                Alan Major                Bobby Lutz
2014-2015                Alan Major                
2015-2016                Mark Price                Alan Major
2016-2017                Mark Price                Alan Major
2017-2018                Houston Fancher (I), Mark Price                Mark Price
2018-2019                Bobby Lutz                Mark Price
2019-2020                Bobby Lutz                Mark Price
2020-2021                Bobby Lutz             

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos