Author Topic: Rest of season with Fancher  (Read 6544 times)

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 07:06:00 am
Coach Fancher is scheduled to be on ESPN 730 today - Wednesday, December 20th - at 9:30 AM.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:09:43 am by Run49er »

Kenny

• Walk On
Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:35 am
I missed the interview.  Does anyone have a link to a re-play?

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 11:56:26 am
Coach Fancher is scheduled to be on ESPN 730 today - Wednesday, December 20th - at 9:30 AM.

I have to say he is a very intelligent and honest dude.

Not much "coach speak"

Hawthorne_49er

• Freshman
Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:29 pm

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 01:21:29 pm

Not much "coach speak"
I liked that. Also, if the guys play at the same speed as he speaks, we will be fine.  ;D

ninereast

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 09:10:46 pm

Not much "coach speak"
I liked that. Also, if the guys play at the same speed as he speaks, we will be fine.  ;D

I have a good feeling about Fancher after listening to the interview. He hinted about what he thought were some of the teams problems under Price.

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 09:33:52 pm
I like that he was somewhat candid. Still a lot of coach speak. For the most part really liked his attitude and feel good about him being here for the season.

Not sure what to think of him being upset of being fired after winning a weak conference....in his ninth season and going 13-18. He mentioned buzz took them to 24 wins the following season so I'm not sure how much credit fancher should get there or not. But this reminded me of the accepted mediocrity from our AD the past few decades.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #57 on: December 20, 2017, 09:52:27 pm
It’s hard to say they’ve accepted mediocrity when we’ve fired Lutz for being average Major for below average and Price for whatever you want to call it.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #58 on: December 21, 2017, 12:16:32 am
It’s hard to say they’ve accepted mediocrity when we’ve fired Lutz for being average Major for below average and Price for whatever you want to call it.

We extended coaches after mediocre seasons.  Bobby was fired more for his personal conflicts with Judy and Phil than his performance.  Major was removed due to health, otherwise he might still be here.  Price was let go, IMO because Judy thought it would quiet the crowd. 
Mahna Mahna

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #59 on: December 21, 2017, 09:16:08 am

Judy as made terrible hires every time she has had to look outside the organization. Those are her failures. I cannot emphasize enough that she has no metrics for success in coaching hires.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #60 on: December 21, 2017, 10:32:13 am

Judy as made terrible hires every time she has had to look outside the organization. Those are her failures. I cannot emphasize enough that she has no metrics for success in coaching hires.

Football and Men's basketball are the sports that really count, but Judy has hired some good soccer coaches, golf coaches, and women's basketball coaches.  She deserves credit for those if you are going to (rightly) tag her with Major and Price.  To me, Lambert was a good hire to start the program.  Keeping him though, I don't get that.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #61 on: December 21, 2017, 11:41:24 am

Football and Men's basketball are the sports that really count, but Judy has hired some good soccer coaches, golf coaches, and women's basketball coaches.  She deserves credit for those if you are going to (rightly) tag her with Major and Price.  To me, Lambert was a good hire to start the program.  Keeping him though, I don't get that.
I don't understand the logic of calling Lambert a good hire to start the program. A good hire to start the program is someone that wins immediately and keeps the excitement level high. Lambert is BORING and worse, he's a loser.

We couldn't have a worse foundation for starting the program. The next coach is basically going to be building a new program from scratch, but instead of one with a clean name, he's going to have one with stink attached to it.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 12:10:06 pm

I don't understand the logic of calling Lambert a good hire to start the program. A good hire to start the program is someone that wins immediately and keeps the excitement level high. Lambert is BORING and worse, he's a loser.

We couldn't have a worse foundation for starting the program. The next coach is basically going to be building a new program from scratch, but instead of one with a clean name, he's going to have one with stink attached to it.

I think it is unlikely that you are going to hire a coach that will not have a team on the field until the third year of his tenure if he is a proven winner.  I mean sure, that would be ideal, but let's face it, Kiffen isn't going to take a couple of years off to work with architects to build a stadium and make uniform choices.  Lambert isn't the devil.  He oversaw a million choices that positioned us to have a successful program, then we found out he is not a good coach.  I am not particularly surprised, and now it is time to move on.  Sadly, we didn't.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:52 pm
Well said Nugget.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 12:59:34 pm
We are off topic now - but as for Lambert - I think he was a fine hire to start the program.  I think we could have done better, but I wouldn't say him starting the program was a disaster.  The person you hire to start your program is rarely the person who wins at your program.  As has been mentioned, Ratliff was a HUGE part of this staff.  Losing him I think really knocked this entire program back.  Had Judy let Brad go I think we could have looked back and said ok that was a good start.  Now though Brad will be remembered more for his lack of ability to get it done than his success in getting it launched 

As for other coaches, yeah Judy gets credit for a handful of coaches, but none in the sports that matter.  That is one of the HUGE issues with her AD.  They seem to think all sports are created equal and that is just not true no matter what Judy thinks.  Give her credit for those hires, but the point is NO ONE CARES about women's basketball.  Their gate revenue was under $5k.  It literally is of no consequence to us if she hires a bad women's basketball coach.  NONE
Mahna Mahna

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:36 pm
Give her credit for those hires, but the point is NO ONE CARES about women's basketball.  Their gate revenue was under $5k. 

You are wrong. Judy cares, and much more than an AD should care. This is where the problem is. It's also obvious she cares more about softball than baseball too, and baseball is our 3rd largest revenue producing sport.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #66 on: December 21, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
Give her credit for those hires, but the point is NO ONE CARES about women's basketball.  Their gate revenue was under $5k. 

You are wrong. Judy cares, and much more than an AD should care. This is where the problem is. It's also obvious she cares more about softball than baseball too, and baseball is our 3rd largest revenue producing sport.
And women's basketball is just barely 4th, only edging out mens soccer by a small amount I believe.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #67 on: December 21, 2017, 01:38:52 pm
We are off topic now - but as for Lambert - I think he was a fine hire to start the program.  I think we could have done better, but I wouldn't say him starting the program was a disaster.  The person you hire to start your program is rarely the person who wins at your program.  As has been mentioned, Ratliff was a HUGE part of this staff.  Losing him I think really knocked this entire program back.  Had Judy let Brad go I think we could have looked back and said ok that was a good start.  Now though Brad will be remembered more for his lack of ability to get it done than his success in getting it launched 

As for other coaches, yeah Judy gets credit for a handful of coaches, but none in the sports that matter.  That is one of the HUGE issues with her AD.  They seem to think all sports are created equal and that is just not true no matter what Judy thinks.  Give her credit for those hires, but the point is NO ONE CARES about women's basketball.  Their gate revenue was under $5k.  It literally is of no consequence to us if she hires a bad women's basketball coach.  NONE
Men's Basketball and Football are the two that matter to me, but I really want soccer to win (I just don't want to have to watch it).  I want baseball to win.  In 5-7 years when I retire I might be spending afternoons at Softball games and I want them to win too.  I want C-USA to have a Commissioners Trophy for the best performance across all sports, and I want Charlotte to be in the hunt for that.  If we field 18 teams, I want 18 striving to be in the top 3 of the conference.  I give credit for any hire that is getting it done.  My gripes are for the coaches that are not.
#unc-CHeatingPays

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #68 on: December 21, 2017, 01:59:23 pm

We could have been playing on the soccer field.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #69 on: December 21, 2017, 02:14:15 pm

true, but the football coach had nothing to do with that.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #70 on: December 21, 2017, 02:26:53 pm

true, but the football coach had nothing to do with that.
True, that was Phil and Judy.  Awwk-ward!  :)
#unc-CHeatingPays

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #71 on: December 21, 2017, 02:39:10 pm
Back to Fancher..... I hope we have a change in AD and Fancher creates the situation where we've played so well he's a legit candidate.  I like all his interviews and he does have valuable HC experience.

You have to imagine if we have a new HC in the Fall, they'll be starting from scratch as well from a roster standpoint. Which can be good or bad, depends on who they might hire and the assistants.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #72 on: December 21, 2017, 03:51:26 pm
Back to Fancher..... I hope we have a change in AD and Fancher creates the situation where we've played so well he's a legit candidate.  I like all his interviews and he does have valuable HC experience.

You have to imagine if we have a new HC in the Fall, they'll be starting from scratch as well from a roster standpoint. Which can be good or bad, depends on who they might hire and the assistants.
if he kills it the rest of the season, I'll be thrilled that we can have some continuity.  If he finishes with a middling record, I'm cool with him being included in interviews for the permanent position, but I want us to interview other candidates as well.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #73 on: December 21, 2017, 04:10:14 pm
I don't think you can or should lock onto anyone at this point. And new ADs typically want to bring in their own people.

That said, this is a job interview, whether its here or elsewhere, for Fancher. Best of luck to him, especially if his success = Charlotte's.

ghostofclt

• Junior

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos