Author Topic: ODU Game  (Read 2051 times)

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07:02 pm

When I saw the 49er Twitter account post that Dale was giving the team a pep talk my WTF meter pinged. Let's get an old rich lady to talk up a bunch of 20 year old athletes, that will motivate them. Holy incompetence Batman!

Dale Halton spoke to one of my business classes around 2004. I remember her complaining that her trust fund wouldn’t let her spend the money the way she wanted. #iwishihadthatproblem
considering the money she has invested in this program, she probably wouldn't have spent her trust fund money wisely anyway.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 05:57:20 pm
I understand chapel hill Phil will be giving the pep talk before the next game. He was chosen because of his enthusiasm, his do whatever it takes to win attitude, and his vast knowledge of competitive sports.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

chidave

• Junior
Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 06:26:17 pm
I also heard he was teaching an Accounting course on Revenue next semester.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:23 am
Very few of our players are D-1 worthy. It pains me to say that, because they chose to go to our school and they are Niners, just like us. But we look like a JV team out there, and I'm not exaggerating out of desperation. I really mean it.

I think Francher is a better coach than Price, but the players are so lacking in talent that it really doesn't matter. I would say that I almost feel bad for him, but recruiting was part of his job as an assistant, so he has to share the blame.

Price was able to recruit ok enough in his freshman year but wasn't able to pull in anyone since. Remember when we were consistently getting 3 and 4 star recruits? It wasn't even that long ago.

I still support the AD's decision to fire Price. Worst coach ever. Bar none.
I total agree about firing Price but I don't think the talent level is as bad as you think.
The truth is Jon Davis has been horrible this year. He can't stop turning the ball over.
He needs to be moved off the point. We are just an nonathletic team. Our bigs are just
to slow....Saturdays game was just an awful shooting game

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:29 am
Very few of our players are D-1 worthy. It pains me to say that, because they chose to go to our school and they are Niners, just like us. But we look like a JV team out there, and I'm not exaggerating out of desperation. I really mean it.

I think Francher is a better coach than Price, but the players are so lacking in talent that it really doesn't matter. I would say that I almost feel bad for him, but recruiting was part of his job as an assistant, so he has to share the blame.

Price was able to recruit ok enough in his freshman year but wasn't able to pull in anyone since. Remember when we were consistently getting 3 and 4 star recruits? It wasn't even that long ago.

Consistently get 4 star kids? I don't recall that.  We managed to get overlooked guys and some great transfers.  We also were able to leverage coaching changes to land some guys. 
Mahna Mahna

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 11:19:31 am

Consistently get 4 star kids? I don't recall that.  We managed to get overlooked guys and some great transfers.  We also were able to leverage coaching changes to land some guys.
land, correct.  We were at least in the discussion for some every year though.   I think there is still a small but.of value in recruiting just from seeing your name attached to 4 star guys.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 11:25:37 am

I total agree about firing Price but I don't think the talent level is as bad as you think.
The truth is Jon Davis has been horrible this year. He can't stop turning the ball over.
He needs to be moved off the point. We are just an nonathletic team. Our bigs are just
to slow....Saturdays game was just an awful shooting game
no offense, but that is flat wrong.  Our guys have the physical stature of a ymca team.  look at a team photo now compared to 15-20 years ago.  We dont have any Galen, Rodney, Dew, Anjuan, kelvin, or even Odom god rest hjs soul. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 11:43:29 am
I think this team has some quality parts.  It isn't as bad as the scores indicate but that isn't to say the talent of the roster is high enough.

A coaches job is to make a team greater than the sum of its parts.  Bobby, Melvin and Jeff did that with their teams.  Majors teams were the sum of its parts.  Prices teams are worse than the sum of their parts.  It's just baffling to see. 

We have enough talent to compete with most of the teams we play.  We don't have enough heart or desire or coaching.  One of the things Bobby did was instill a chip on the shoulder for our programs and fans.  Us against everyone.  A willingness to be an asshole with some swagger.  We don't have that anymore and it's been extremely  damaging.  I also think Phil and Judy hated that.
Mahna Mahna

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 12:23:52 pm
clt says it is obvious that we miss beans.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 03:38:08 pm

One of the things Bobby did was instill a chip on the shoulder for our programs and fans.  Us against everyone.  A willingness to be an asshole with some swagger.  We don't have that anymore and it's been extremely  damaging.  I also think Phil and Judy hated that.

Fess up. You don't think. You KNOW Phil and Judy hated that. And we need to get that "Asshole with Swagger" mentality back.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 07:30:46 pm
clt says all of our programs need more swag.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos