Author Topic: Ad Selection Process - Who is our desired Peer Group?  (Read 799 times)

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
on: January 04, 2018, 03:34:49 pm
I'm assuming the AAC since several of the members use to be in conference with us prior to football expansion.  So we need an AD who can promise they can get us to that level of college sports on a defined time line.  Possibly hire one of the AAC AD's?  There should be a public statement of goals with a timeline, and for Charlotte it should be ambitious.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:36:38 pm by UnclePugsly »

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:07 pm
clt says short term goals:

announce plans for modest expansion of the rich
increase 49er club donor base, follow iptay model
stress local recruits to coaches
AAC invite
logo and brand refresh

Long Term
SEC invite

chidave

• Junior
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:59:49 pm
I want our new AD to release something like this soon after they are hired.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/937422447258755072

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Walk On
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:25:17 pm
I'm assuming the AAC since several of the members use to be in conference with us prior to football expansion.  So we need an AD who can promise they can get us to that level of college sports on a defined time line.  Possibly hire one of the AAC AD's?  There should be a public statement of goals with a timeline, and for Charlotte it should be ambitious.

I like where your head as it with this one. Im not sure how much you publicize the search itself, but the goals of the program - those need to be part of the narrative of the search. No settling for some career D2 or FCS AD who "does things the right way" with the "right kind of kids"

We need to make it clear that the program has ambitions, and we expect someone who will be able to direct the program to those goals.

We need someone who believes the revenue sports are the foundation of the entire program's success.

We need someone who knows how P5 and prominent AAC/MWC programs are run

We need someone with significant contacts with the media - whether its sports journalism, or broadcast partners, and knows how things get done with each of them

We need someone who has a history of excellent marketing, who understands the latest trends including the dreaded social media

We need someone with a history of successful fundraising, especially at challenging or not historically strong programs, by their own actions, and not just coat tail riding.

We need someone that realizes that the football stadium size is an impediment to success, and that the way forward is a slightly larger capacity stadium that focuses on the fan experience, with a good balance of inexpensive GA seats and more premium fan experiences.

We need someone who is smart enough to realize that there really is not a distinction between fans and supporters, as young fans become supporters later in life, unless you turn them off through ineptness or disdain. The foundation of a healthy fanbase is the recent grad. See: IPTAY.

And finally, we need someone with a history of successful coaching hires, and all that entails.

We need to be ambitious.

We can take solace in knowing that this is an extremely desirable job on a beautiful campus in a booming city in a temperate climate, where the bar for success is very achievable (bowl teams and NCAA teams as the barometer, vs the stress at a pressure cooker like Texas or Tennessee etc). Ambitious candidates will recognize this as a nearly perfect situation.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:34:17 pm by NinerAdvocate »

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:34:12 pm
clt says short term goals:

announce plans for modest expansion of the rich
increase 49er club donor base, follow iptay model
stress local recruits to coaches
AAC invite
logo and brand refresh

Long Term
SEC invite

chargrad2008

• Walk On
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:55:28 pm
logo is an easy fix

trash our primary "49ers" logo and have the c-pick as primary and the "charlotte" font one as secondary

use corncob pipe norm as throwback occasionally (but I still love that one)

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:06:40 pm
I would start my search with SEC staff and go from there.  If anyone knows how important football is then they would be it.  We don't want a pencil pushing pansy either.  Need someone who can come in and get in the community and make it their own.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:13:48 pm
logo is an easy fix

trash our primary "49ers" logo and have the c-pick as primary and the "charlotte" font one as secondary

THIS - that's the only logo fix we need
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 05:27:07 pm
logo is an easy fix

THIS - that's the only logo fix we need

100% on board with this. Our current logo only works on large print, such as the court. On anything small, it looks jumbled and you can't make it out.

To hell with our old philosophy of "people don't know the logo without having 49ers in it". Let's have success on the court and make people realize what it stands for!

This revamp needs to be done day one

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 05:52:33 pm

To hell with our old philosophy of "people don't know the logo without having 49ers in it". Let's have success on the court and make people realize what it stands for!

People knew who we were from 95-05 and it didn't have sh!t to do with the logo.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Savio

• Senior
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:59:37 pm
It's important for the AD and the school itself to connect with its alums.  Now is the time again and do it right.  We should be a huge network especially in the Charlotte metro area with 80k+ alums.  It should be like it is here on NNN but on a much larger scale.

I've live out in LA for a decade and it's ridiculous the network of alums for UCLA and USC.  They build off each other, feed off one another, they connect with one another, it should be the same with us.

If we make the right hire, Athletics could easily be that glue that binds us.

Also agree with what NA said.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:01:17 pm by Savio »

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 06:49:03 pm

People knew who we were from 95-05 and it didn't have sh!t to do with the logo.

Imagine what it would be like now with a new AD and social media...

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 07:50:02 pm
I agree NA's bullet points. I would also like an AD that knows how to sell this team in a pro sports town. Programs like Temple, Houston, ucla, and washigton figured it out. The next Charlotte AD needs to crack that code.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:50 pm

I like where your head as it with this one. Im not sure how much you publicize the search itself, but the goals of the program - those need to be part of the narrative of the search. No settling for some career D2 or FCS AD who "does things the right way" with the "right kind of kids"

We need to make it clear that the program has ambitions, and we expect someone who will be able to direct the program to those goals.

We need someone who believes the revenue sports are the foundation of the entire program's success.

We need someone who knows how P5 and prominent AAC/MWC programs are run

We need someone with significant contacts with the media - whether its sports journalism, or broadcast partners, and knows how things get done with each of them

We need someone who has a history of excellent marketing, who understands the latest trends including the dreaded social media

We need someone with a history of successful fundraising, especially at challenging or not historically strong programs, by their own actions, and not just coat tail riding.

We need someone that realizes that the football stadium size is an impediment to success, and that the way forward is a slightly larger capacity stadium that focuses on the fan experience, with a good balance of inexpensive GA seats and more premium fan experiences.

We need someone who is smart enough to realize that there really is not a distinction between fans and supporters, as young fans become supporters later in life, unless you turn them off through ineptness or disdain. The foundation of a healthy fanbase is the recent grad. See: IPTAY.

And finally, we need someone with a history of successful coaching hires, and all that entails.

We need to be ambitious.

We can take solace in knowing that this is an extremely desirable job on a beautiful campus in a booming city in a temperate climate, where the bar for success is very achievable (bowl teams and NCAA teams as the barometer, vs the stress at a pressure cooker like Texas or Tennessee etc). Ambitious candidates will recognize this as a nearly perfect situation.

clt says you expressed clt points better than clt. Well done, buddy!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos