Author Topic: Gameday/Brand/Marketing Ideas  (Read 2711 times)

clt12thman

• Walk On
on: January 08, 2018, 07:22:58 pm
The whole end of the Judy Rose thing and the prospect for change in the coming years when it comes to athletics got me thinking about some changes we could make and stuff that we could do better when it comes to gameday and how we market ourselves. I've got some ideas but I was wondering if anyone else could come up with some interesting ones.

QOSTA49er

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:05:10 pm
For the love of gawd switch up the logo. C pick or my all time favorite the old school norm with corn cob pipe

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:30 pm
C49ers needs to go ASAP
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:21:24 pm
I'll post my list of stuff in a little bit

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:43 pm
We need to go to the c pick and it needs to be updated to look more modern. Our current logo was developed in an age when digital design was just starting to take off and it really looks like it was made by someone playing around with Photoshop's features for the first time. It is a nice logo in concept, it just hasn't aged well.

Some slight tweaks to modernize it would be great.

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:58:33 pm
Similar to what the Panthers did years back...they did a logo rebrand. Kept the basic design, but just modernized it. As a result, looks a lot sharper and up-to-date with the times.

Another idea, we need to market the hell out of the light rail, which officially announced it will open march 16th. I want to see wraps or ads on the rail for our athletics. To help put butts in seats, wouldn't mind seeing deals like with each round trip light rail ticket stub, receive 49% off a GA ticket to basketball/Football (for a limited/promotional time).

LzeroKI

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:09:50 pm
For the love of gawd switch up the logo. C pick or my all time favorite the old school norm with corn cob pipe

I think the change to just the C pick is a great idea, and I'm not against using old school norm every once in a while, but we can't complain about the C-49ers being too busy (f-ball helmets for example) while also saying this logo isn't "too busy":

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:25:06 pm
Get better entrance music.  Something that we can claim as ours. 
Have the band stop playing show tunes and music from the 70's during halftime.  The newest song I've ever heard them play is the game of thrones theme.  New music.. please.
Put a tablecloth on the tables that are giving out programs.  The tables by themselves look so Mickey Mouse.
Have someone from the 49er club have a table in the concourse answering questions and maybe looking for new members.
Mark the 49 yard lines
Have premodern video montages.  Va tech had a great one to "twist and shout" of people doing their VT hand gesture during a tv timeout.  Some were famous, some not, but it was cool.
Hire a real media person and have a 15 minute highlight show for every (including road) game.  Think Campbell or GW highlights from 2013.
Win on occasion.  The last half an hour of the UAB game was my favorite Charlotte sports moment since the Gardner Webb comeback.
I'm sure I'll come up with more.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 09:26:31 pm
C49ers is terrible.

The “Charlotte” word mark one is awesome. The C pick is awesome. Even the standalone 49ers one is cool. The script 49ers is an all time favorite for me.

C49ers muddles our logo and makes it hard to even tell that the pick is a C. Not to mention you can’t possibly decifer it on a football helmet.

Also pick a non-custom green. Kelly, Forrest, i don’t care. Just pick one that’s not a custom color.

Gold. We are 49ers. Stop trying to hide gold. 49ers discover gold. Our best basketball uniforms ever were gold.  Our best football pants are gold and our best football uniform has gold numbers. Use the gold.

The second we expand the football stadium we need to give away tickets all over the local school systems. If we give away too many and create a regular SRO situation... good.

Easy one here, but we need to sell basketball tickets for less than Davidson. And you can get in at Davidson for 8.68. CUSA is not A10 hoops, and unfortunately we are not as good as Davidson.

This may be unpopular but I’d also be ok with saving the marketing budget for a time when we get better. Nobody is gonna come watch us get blown out of the water with regularity.  Marketing a bad product is not a good idea in the realm of athletics. We need our brand in control when we find success again.

Social media is free. Find a hashtag you like. Use it. We like Rocksolid. If you don’t, pick one, and for the love of God we will use it. Being creative on social media cost nothing and is an incredible way to market yourself. For free.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:32:31 pm by ImfromClayton »

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:27:27 pm
And figure out a uniform shade of green.
I wore a hat, tshirt, and sweatshirt to the FIU game and none of the items matched each other.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:57 am
I wore a hat, tshirt, and sweatshirt to the FIU game and none of the items matched each other.

clt says greens are tough. Just ask eagle fans. For some reason, clothing mfg struggles to be consistent.

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:31:59 am
clt adds ideas

- new or updated logo is necessary. We need something that is fresh and clean and easy to reproduce. Both UNC CHeat and UNC R went to more modern logos and have reverted back to the classics. Our smokin norm may have an issue with the millenials who will be upset by the pipe

~ the 49er club has to shift models. Hire someone from iptay or hire an consultant. Target is 10,000 members giving $49 and up

= recuit local first.

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 07:39:13 am
Get Kevin Donnelly off the football social media.  Tweeting things like "my man" when Duke signed to practice squad is unacceptable within any professional org.

Mimic exactly what the Panthers do on snap and twitter.  It's clearly a 25-35 year old and controlled. 

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:30:36 am

clt says greens are tough. Just ask eagle fans. For some reason, clothing mfg struggles to be consistent.
'

This may be a shot at nike not being able to produce the eagles "midnight green" uniforms in time for the season a few years back.  But if it's not he's still correct.

I am amazed when the packers, eagles and other green teams come to Bank of America.  Even in the NFL greens are near impossible to match, just like teals (see coastal, UNCW, Hornets, Panthers even UNC)  You can always tell a Panthers/hornets/packers/eagles chinese knockoff jersey because the color just flat out doesn't look right. The Jags teal uniforms were awesome, and even they have gotten away from using them as much.

I think the only answer to that is to either pick forest, or kelly, and just embrace whatever forest or kelly you happen to get with that purchase.  Not trying to grab the low hanging wal mart fruit, but if you go see the heels play, you will see more shades of that light blue color than you will see greens in our stadium. The problem is, we currently get both greens, AND the custom color, and the result is something like the astros rainbow uniform.

The fact that a bunch of college sports fans can sit around and have a well versed discussion about shades of green is a clear statement that this is an issue.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:27 am

'

This may be a shot at nike not being able to produce the eagles "midnight green" uniforms in time for the season a few years back.  But if it's not he's still correct.

I am amazed when the packers, eagles and other green teams come to Bank of America.  Even in the NFL greens are near impossible to match, just like teals (see coastal, UNCW, Hornets, Panthers even UNC)  You can always tell a Panthers/hornets/packers/eagles chinese knockoff jersey because the color just flat out doesn't look right. The Jags teal uniforms were awesome, and even they have gotten away from using them as much.

I think the only answer to that is to either pick forest, or kelly, and just embrace whatever forest or kelly you happen to get with that purchase.  Not trying to grab the low hanging wal mart fruit, but if you go see the heels play, you will see more shades of that light blue color than you will see greens in our stadium. The problem is, we currently get both greens, AND the custom color, and the result is something like the astros rainbow uniform.

The fact that a bunch of college sports fans can sit around and have a well versed discussion about shades of green is a clear statement that this is an issue.

Yup pick a standard dark green and go from there.  Won't stop it from happening but should go a long way in getting a lot on the same page.
Mahna Mahna

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:54 am
We had a thread on this a while back. I will try and find it.

Edit: http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=34612.msg684263#msg684263

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 08:50:03 am
We have to somehow spread the word that football tickets are NOT sold out. 

I know that sounds stupid to us, but I still run across people all the time that think that you can't come by a ticket unless you go secondary market, and some people just wont do that. 

We were talking about it in the shoutbox this morning, but Charlotte, NC is a hot place.  We've discussed the downfalls of the noon kickoffs before at length, but that has to be a focus moving forward.  We need as few noon kickoffs early in the season as possible. Those turn more people away than they win people over. 

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:44 am
Mich St has 1 shade.

North Texas has 1 shade, but its ugly

Marshall has 1 shade.

Colo State has 1 green

USF has 1 green

Oregon has 1 green

Willam and Mary Tribe has 1 green

UAB is pretty consistent

Our moronic university will have 4/9 day and use social media to distribute photos of people on campus in neon, dark, pastel, greens.  Its an ORGANIZATION ISSUE. 

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 09:21:20 am

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 09:39:40 am
Mich St has 1 shade.

Marshall has 1 shade.

Colo State has 1 green

USF has 1 green

Oregon has 1 green

UAB is pretty consistent

Our moronic university will have 4/9 day and use social media to distribute photos of people on campus in neon, dark, pastel, greens.  Its an ORGANIZATION ISSUE.

I both agree, and disagree with this. 

Our University does way to much proliferating shades of green that are clearly not even close to what we are trying to achieve.  That is an organizational issue. Neon is a cool fad for schools that have an established brand.  That statement doesn't apply to us.

A simple google search of any of those schools, and the word "fans" and you will see that we are not even close to the only green school that has this issue.  I even wonder if that's why MSU students wear white at basketball. Oregon's brand is literally wearing every shade of green in existence, which considering this discussion, and our problems with it, is a great idea.

NWA is right.  We just need to pick one of the non custom shades, and that will limit this. The custom color is the issue.  When nobody can replicate what you want them to, you are going to get more of the garbage

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:46 am
Boom. 

https://twitter.com/unccharlotte/status/950507573941358592

Uncc marketing dept is on drugs

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:16 am
Mich St has 1 shade.

Marshall has 1 shade.

Colo State has 1 green

USF has 1 green

Oregon has 1 green

UAB is pretty consistent

I both agree, and disagree with this. 

Our University does way to much proliferating shades of green that are clearly not even close to what we are trying to achieve.  That is an organizational issue. Neon is a cool fad for schools that have an established brand.  That statement doesn't apply to us.

A simple google search of any of those schools, and the word "fans" and you will see that we are not even close to the only green school that has this issue.  I even wonder if that's why MSU students wear white at basketball. Oregon's brand is literally wearing every shade of green in existence, which considering this discussion, and our problems with it, is a great idea.

NWA is right.  We just need to pick one of the non custom shades, and that will limit this. The custom color is the issue.  When nobody can replicate what you want them to, you are going to get more of the garbage

At least at William & Mary, the various shades of green are discussed ad nauseam on the message boards, etc.  You can look at a full tailgate lot during a game and see 15 different shades of green (W&M's official colors are green, gold and silver - but silver is used infrequently).  I've met two different people wearing Charlotte gear to the W&M games... and they fit right in.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 11:10:13 am
On my list of priorities I don't really care which color green people wear.  Our teams should be "uniform", but fans, yeah I don't really care.  If they are there and wearing some kind of Niner gear they are good in my book.  The "One Green" movement is gravy.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:52 am
On my list of priorities I don't really care which color green people wear.  Our teams should be "uniform", but fans, yeah I don't really care.  If they are there and wearing some kind of Niner gear they are good in my book.  The "One Green" movement is gravy.

I think the issue is for a school that struggles with branding is the multiple greens just adds to it.  The least we can do is make sure every piece of merchandise that comes from the book store is the same green.
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 12:41:25 pm

I think the issue is for a school that struggles with branding is the multiple greens just adds to it.  The least we can do is make sure every piece of merchandise that comes from the book store is the same green.

Sure.  I don't object to these efforts, but I remember when the bookstore didn't carry enough inventory to clothe the unicycle kids at halftime.  As an old fan, this feels like complaining about the color of the free BMW you just won in a raffle.
#unc-CHeatingPays

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos