Author Topic: Gameday/Brand/Marketing Ideas  (Read 2668 times)

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 12:52:39 pm
On my list of priorities I don't really care which color green people wear.  Our teams should be "uniform", but fans, yeah I don't really care.  If they are there and wearing some kind of Niner gear they are good in my book.  The "One Green" movement is gravy.

I think the issue is for a school that struggles with branding is the multiple greens just adds to it.  The least we can do is make sure every piece of merchandise that comes from the book store is the same green.

Sure.  I don't object to these efforts, but I remember when the bookstore didn't carry enough inventory to clothe the unicycle kids at halftime.  As an old fan, this feels like complaining about the color of the free BMW you just won in a raffle.

Nuggett...you need to take a trip to some peer schools.  Thats all I want.  Lets stay on pace with competition.  We do not.  We are lazy. 

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 12:58:03 pm
I don't want to just complain about complaining.  I do have some items for the list.

• packthemine49.com - Why make people go to a second website to buy our tickets?  What good comes from this?  Make charlotte49ers.com the one-stop shop, and make it better.
  • Have a cohesive, coherent social media strategy.  We are not some 16 year old girl snapchatting just to bump her post count.  Have something to say.  The only reason to have sport-specific twitter accounts is to focus information for fans that want news specific to that sport.  Don't retweet everything posted on every other 49er account.  I now follow none of them because a) they rarely said anything worth reading, and b) one post showed up 3-4 times in my feed.  It was annoying.  It was bush league.  (Probably being run by a rook)
#unc-CHeatingPays

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 01:03:05 pm
On my list of priorities I don't really care which color green people wear.  Our teams should be "uniform", but fans, yeah I don't really care.  If they are there and wearing some kind of Niner gear they are good in my book.  The "One Green" movement is gravy.

I think the issue is for a school that struggles with branding is the multiple greens just adds to it.  The least we can do is make sure every piece of merchandise that comes from the book store is the same green.

Sure.  I don't object to these efforts, but I remember when the bookstore didn't carry enough inventory to clothe the unicycle kids at halftime.  As an old fan, this feels like complaining about the color of the free BMW you just won in a raffle.

Nuggett...you need to take a trip to some peer schools.  Thats all I want.  Lets stay on pace with competition.  We do not.  We are lazy.

I stopped going to our peer schools when we stopped having a chance to win the games, so it has been a long time, but I get your point.
#unc-CHeatingPays

metro

• Freshman
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 01:05:48 pm
I don't want to just complain about complaining.  I do have some items for the list.

• packthemine49.com - Why make people go to a second website to buy our tickets?  What good comes from this?  Make charlotte49ers.com the one-stop shop, and make it better.
  • Have a cohesive, coherent social media strategy.  We are not some 16 year old girl snapchatting just to bump her post count.  Have something to say.  The only reason to have sport-specific twitter accounts is to focus information for fans that want news specific to that sport.  Don't retweet everything posted on every other 49er account.  I now follow none of them because a) they rarely said anything worth reading, and b) one post showed up 3-4 times in my feed.  It was annoying.  It was bush league.  (Probably being run by a rook)

49erfestivus hit those points on twitter.  Check them out.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 01:18:08 pm

I get that, but I am an old fan too.  I remember those days at the old book store.  It is an easy fix though.  Just use a standard green and be done. 
Mahna Mahna

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 01:48:50 pm
In terms of branding I've noticed a lot more of the same shade of green in the bookstore. As our Nike stuff comes in it looks like it's replacing Under Armour and Champion stuff that was there as it's sold.
That deal with Nike should bring uniformity to the athletics gear, both on court and fan ware.

Also I 100% agree with getting Kevin Donnely off snapchat, I took them off my snapchat, half the stuff was dumb and didn't relate to me as a college kid. Get a young guy 25-35 years old running that.

Oh, NWAs favorite, IMG, fire everyone from it and get someone who can actually market the Niners properly. Not a single tweet since 9/1/17...embarrassing for a major D1 program.

Also I'd say enhance tailgating. The tailgate village was awesome, but with so many restrictions getting put on it the excitement and energy died. That place was awesome especially early in the season.

At the end of the day, vision is needed to improve everything here. Don't have to fire everyone(except IMG) to get things turned around just need someone who can allocate the resources we have better.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Head of Barstool 49ers, follow us on twitter and Instagram @barstool49ers

chargrad2008

• Walk On

chargrad2008

• Walk On
Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 01:51:24 pm
Also I'd say enhance tailgating. The tailgate village was awesome, but with so many restrictions getting put on it the excitement and energy died. That place was awesome especially early in the season.

More details on this? Was this just the students tailgate area?

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 01:54:50 pm

More details on this? Was this just the students tailgate area?
It was where 90% of the frats tailgated. They banned straight up booze, so only beer which is fine, but then would ruin the fun by not allowing bed sheet signs and such. 
Also several frats getting kicked off campus didn't help either. I know that place will be packed for the App game next season, hopefully it stays that way all season long.

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 01:57:11 pm
  • One shade of green and a consistent shade of accent gold like in this logo, the shade that's used now tends to look brown https://imgur.com/zxRVm5V
  • Officially adopt the c pick for a primary logo and end the c49ers era
  • Total uniform overhaul to signal a new direction in the AD
  • New gameday apparel that is color correct and actually gets the Charlotte branding right
  • pregame hype packages for basketball and other sports like this:
  • Massive social media marketing and gameday marketing campaign to bring some interest back and stir up some school spirit (Like the "All In" thing)
  • Fix the student section seating for basketball and football, they're too spread out to get anything going in terms of chants and coordinated things
  • Organize Tailgates for non-football sports
  • Using the flat space outside Halton for gameday tailgate tents during basketball season
  • For the love of god, get new audio systems for Richardson Stadium and don't play music when the band is playing
  • Use the giant blank retaining wall outside of Halton for something other than being really out of place
  • Move the tailgate village up to the actual area around Richardson Stadium
  • Take it easy with the super strict facility event rules when it comes to signage and flags and banners and things at gameday, if you want to create an intimidating atmosphere that makes it hard to play in Charlotte, you've got to let the student sections be able to do something other than chant forty-niners
  • Take a note from the #FireJudyRose movement and Use viral social media marketing around campus.
  • Green Rally Towel
  • Give free gear to freshman during SOAR
  • Play up the history and past successes with our basketball, baseball, and soccer teams
  • Replace the generic banners in the Halton concourse with some honoring of our former basketball players

ghostofclt

• Junior
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 02:01:14 pm
clt says we need more camo items as well.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 02:30:55 pm
Stop playing the “It’s Time” video at halftime during basketball games we’ve all seen it 1000 times over the last 10 years.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 02:36:36 pm
Stop playing the “It’s Time” video at halftime during basketball games we’ve all seen it 1000 times over the last 10 years.
Amen!  Let's make some new highlights.  Emphasizing that our glory days were back in the very low resolution days makes me sad.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:02 pm

Just pulling this one - not going to happen.  Too many wealthy donors there and if they do open it up some it's going to be lower donors. 
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 03:31:04 pm

Just pulling this one - not going to happen.  Too many wealthy donors there and if they do open it up some it's going to be lower donors.

Yeah.  I am not sure there are any unsold spaces around the stadium.  Unused, sure, but bought and paid for.  Bring me a six-pack of Shiner Bock and you riff-raff can hang out in my space.   :p
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 03:34:59 pm

Yeah.  I am not sure there are any unsold spaces around the stadium.  Unused, sure, but bought and paid for.  Bring me a six-pack of Shiner Bock and you riff-raff can hang out in my space.   :p

The AD really needs to place people for parking the way they do seats.  Use priority points.  It's stupid those spaces go to high dollar donors that have no intention of tailgating.  Use priority points and allow people to pick their preferred lot, fill lots up from inner to outer.  It fills the lots, reduces costs on lots needing attendants and encourages additional donating. 

I have been offered a spot up there to "help the atmosphere", but screw that if I can't bring my party with me.
Mahna Mahna

trickynbc

• Freshman
  • BSEE 2010, I Wanna Go Fast!
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:53 pm
It's just an green/white ambulance without the party, the party makes it the Normbulance!

The AD really needs to place people for parking the way they do seats.  Use priority points.  It's stupid those spaces go to high dollar donors that have no intention of tailgating.  Use priority points and allow people to pick their preferred lot, fill lots up from inner to outer.  It fills the lots, reduces costs on lots needing attendants and encourages additional donating. 

I have been offered a spot up there to "help the atmosphere", but screw that if I can't bring my party with me.
"Why not pick Charlotte?" - Joe Thompson

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 05:46:06 pm
A couple of items come to mind for me:

C pick C pick C pick   
Several have already preached about this, so I'll chime in.  I've heard our own alumni detractors say that people don't know what that logo is or that nobody will know that's Charlotte's logo when/if we use it.  Well, if you keep locked in the basement that's exactly right.  Put it on the helmets and on as much merchandise as you can.  Those that don't know what it is will soon learn.  It's the best logo we've got and we need to be using it extensively.

Affordability and availability of our gear at games, the bookstore, and around town. 
The sale price on what much of the clothing at our games and at the bookstore is still $10-$20 higher than what it should be priced at to begin with.  Price the gear reasonably on campus so that folks that make the trip to the games and at the bookstore there will walk out with something to wear.   Make sure that Walmart, Target, and other retailers in town can and will have plenty of our gear on hand.  Not occasionally, not in the back corner of the store.  And since online shopping is so easy now, set up an Amazon store  too so that Niners far and wide can get it and will come back for more. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:51:46 pm by X-49er »
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

tasheets

• Walk On
Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:35 pm

C pick C pick C pick   
Several have already preached about this, so I'll chime in.  I've heard our own alumni detractors say that people don't know what that logo is or that nobody will know that's Charlotte's logo when/if we use it.  Well, if you keep locked in the basement that's exactly right.  Put it on the helmets and on as much merchandise as you can.  Those that don't know what it is will soon learn.  It's the best logo we've got and we need to be using it extensively.

Affordability and availability of our gear at games, the bookstore, and around town. 
The sale price on what much of the clothing at our games and at the bookstore is still $10-$20 higher than what it should be priced at to begin with.  Price the gear reasonably on campus so that folks that make the trip to the games and at the bookstore there will walk out with something to wear.   Make sure that Walmart, Target, and other retailers in town can and will have plenty of our gear on hand.  Not occasionally, not in the back corner of the store.  And since online shopping is so easy now, set up an Amazon store  too so that Niners far and wide can get it and will come back for more.

Academy at Concord Mills does a decent job with 49er gear.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 09:08:06 am

C pick C pick C pick   

The second point is the one I connect with most as a student. The bookstore is way way too expensive for students to go in and get stuff all the time.
Gray's across the street is a bit cheaper and always has sales going on which makes it much easier to go there and buy stuff than on campus. I don't know if the campus gets a cut of Gray's profit(I'd assume they do, but I don't know).
However, making the gear affordable would be a huge step in seeing more worn around campus. I think at least.

Jackrabbit49er

• Freshman
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 09:15:24 am

I agree that the bookstore is expensive, but no more than what I see from the Iowa Hawkeyes or SoDakSt Jackrabbits. College apparel is just expensive. Similar to the NFL. Going to team store directly doesn't give you a good deal. It's the third party sites that have good deals. Seems a bit backwards to me, but that's the way it is.

I prefer the 49ers logo, then C pick. I do think the Charlotte work mark is underused, especially on fan gear.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

My college teams:

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:10 am
About expensive gear, I was in Hattiesburg last week and bought a USM shirt at their on campus bookstore for 7.00 less than I had bought similar brand, similar logo, same fabric shirt through our website last year.
I also bought 2 other good shirts on sale for around 12.00 a piece.

As for marketing, I would push football season tickets hard during move in day.  ECU did this when we moved my daughter in and I’ve had several Charlotte kids parents ask me about my season tickets.  I think we could get parents to join the 49er club and sell a few season tickets (or even individual game tickets) if we made some real effort.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:40 am
About expensive gear, I was in Hattiesburg last week and bought a USM shirt at their on campus bookstore for 7.00 less than I had bought similar brand, similar logo, same fabric shirt through our website last year.

As for marketing, I would push football season tickets hard during move in day.  ECU did this when we moved my daughter in and I’ve had several Charlotte kids parents ask me about my season tickets.  I think we could get parents to join the 49er club and sell a few season tickets (or even individual game tickets) if we made some real effort.

App State used to push football season tickets to the parents of freshmen.  I don't know if they still do, but doing so makes a lot of sense.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

tasheets

• Walk On
Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 11:23:41 am

Maybe allow the parents to start the contribution and let them transfer it to their child upon graduation. Would give the graduates some club points to start out with!

jdub49er

• Walk On
Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 11:50:44 am
For the love of God, please revamp the cheer-leading program.  From what I'm told, it seems like it has a mission more akin to private enterprise cheer-leading camps and less to do with supporting Niner sports.  A lot of turnover, and it doesn't seem like they have any interest in leading the student cheers or even learning any past chants/cheers. 
Seems like a small issue but it could enhance the game day experience.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos