Author Topic: Campus Construction Update  (Read 230431 times)

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #1175 on: June 30, 2017, 01:51:51 pm
All this construction and CHP couldnt "find" the money to save a landmark.

Phuck Fill

Ninerdawg

• Freshman
Reply #1176 on: June 30, 2017, 11:13:02 pm
No college that cost 80-100K for 4 years is value.

UNC Charlotte undergrad tuition and fees are about $7000 per year (in-state). Nowhere near the 80-100k you are saying. UNC Charlotte is a damn good deal.

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #1177 on: July 01, 2017, 07:17:33 am

UNC Charlotte undergrad tuition and fees are about $7000 per year (in-state). Nowhere near the 80-100k you are saying. UNC Charlotte is a damn good deal.

NC schools in general are a good deal.  So much so I'm thinking of letting my kids take a year off after high school, move to NC, gain residency and then go to school in NC.  Some time between now and then but that is an option I'm seriously considering. 

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1178 on: July 01, 2017, 07:47:29 am

http://finaid.uncc.edu/undergraduate-cost-attendance-budget

There is a lot more to school than just tuition. Including where you live. I purposely didn't respond to anyone because I didn't want to derail this thread since it is about construction update. Financing 80k at god knows what % to have a fifty fifty shot at being un or under employed is a bad deal. College is great if you choose a handful of majors.

A college degree is a high school diploma of 30 years ago and the schools know it. They charge a ton because everyone lives in a suite and everything has to look brand new. It is a bubble that will have to burst at some point. We can't sustain 3-5% tuition increase every year. Graduates can't continue to have 50k plus in student loans, the worst kind of debt by the way. Yes I am a finance guy and yes I chose one of the handful of right majors.

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #1179 on: July 01, 2017, 08:15:27 am
I have never seen an accredited science degree in engineering being compared to anything like a highschool degree.  If an in-state student chooses a similar productive degree, the Charlotte degree earned will be a bargin and should more than pay for itself.  While you pick up other important life experiences and skills at college, you had better choose a career path that will pay your bills.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1180 on: July 01, 2017, 08:20:39 am
The comparison was about getting a job. 30 years ago the standard was a high school degree, maybe community college. Now it is bachelors, maybe masters.

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1181 on: July 01, 2017, 09:29:17 am
The comparison was about getting a job. 30 years ago the standard was a high school degree, maybe community college. Now it is bachelors, maybe masters.

Bingo. 30 years ago to get a job paying the equivalent of $50k today you just needed a high school diploma. Now there are tons of people who paid out the ass to get a bachelor's who make that or less. There are also those who are perpetually underemployed and must drive Uber, wait tables, whatever to make ends meet.

It doesn't matter what the older generations think or say, earning power has stagnated, cost of education has skyrocketed, the value of a degree has diminished, and cost of living has gotten significantly more expensive. Those are just the facts.

emf

• Senior
Reply #1182 on: July 01, 2017, 10:20:41 am

Bingo. 30 years ago to get a job paying the equivalent of $50k today you just needed a high school diploma. Now there are tons of people who paid out the ass to get a bachelor's who make that or less. There are also those who are perpetually underemployed and must drive Uber, wait tables, whatever to make ends meet.

It doesn't matter what the older generations think or say, earning power has stagnated, cost of education has skyrocketed, the value of a degree has diminished, and cost of living has gotten significantly more expensive. Those are just the facts.
I'm assuming a mod wil come along and move this discussion to its own thread, so I'll respond and mention how automation is going to be eliminating a lot of the less skilled jobs.  A McDonalds with 2 people operating it isn't that far off.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #1183 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:17 am

I'm assuming a mod wil come along and move this discussion to its own thread, so I'll respond and mention how automation is going to be eliminating a lot of the less skilled jobs.  A McDonalds with 2 people operating it isn't that far off.

clt says that could happen on campus. No we are back on track.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1184 on: July 02, 2017, 04:45:16 pm

clt says that could happen on campus. No we are back on track.

Back on TRACK?  Shouldn't news of the TRACK team be posted in the "Other 49er Sports" forum?

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #1185 on: July 04, 2017, 07:15:12 am

Just an FYI, that Charlotte is one of the biggest automation hubs in the US with many 49er alumni in the industry including myself. 

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #1186 on: July 05, 2017, 11:46:40 am

NC schools in general are a good deal.  So much so I'm thinking of letting my kids take a year off after high school, move to NC, gain residency and then go to school in NC.  Some time between now and then but that is an option I'm seriously considering.
I have known families to do that - take a year off and work (which has value of building a resume) and then be a resident.  As I said before Charlotte is a tremendous value, particularly if you are in a 'monied' major.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1187 on: July 17, 2017, 11:24:09 am
So construction has not started on new student wellness center and it was my understanding that the Union lot would be closed right after commencement finished...anyone know if that was faulty info?
They have started working on expanding the Union Deck though.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

NormsNinerNation

• Freshman
Reply #1188 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:39 am
Union deck construction has started
#StateOfCharlotte

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1189 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:23 pm
Union deck construction has started
Yes I noted that, but is the wellness center delayed? Cause I thought it would've started by now.

NormsNinerNation

• Freshman
Reply #1190 on: July 17, 2017, 04:07:43 pm
lol totally misread that
#StateOfCharlotte

emf

• Senior
Reply #1191 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:28 pm
So construction has not started on new student wellness center and it was my understanding that the Union lot would be closed right after commencement finished...anyone know if that was faulty info?
I think they had to rebid some jobs. This says construction starts July 20.

http://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/fields/projects/file/HAWC_0.pdf

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1192 on: July 17, 2017, 04:41:47 pm

http://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/fields/projects/file/HAWC_0.pdf
Ok that makes sense! Thanks!

emf

• Senior
Reply #1193 on: July 24, 2017, 03:59:00 pm

Just received email that says that lot closes  8 p.m. Friday, July 28

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1194 on: July 24, 2017, 04:07:35 pm
They are moving right along on Union Deck expansion and Scott Hall renovation. Also Pine, Maple and Elm Halls are really looking good. I think those are supposed to be ready by Fall of 2018. Not sure though just judging by the amount of construction still going on in that area.

emf

• Senior
Reply #1195 on: July 24, 2017, 05:10:52 pm
They are moving right along on Union Deck expansion and Scott Hall renovation. Also Pine, Maple and Elm Halls are really looking good. I think those are supposed to be ready by Fall of 2018. Not sure though just judging by the amount of construction still going on in that area.
LOL... Pine, Maple, and Elm were supposed to be done June 2016, then it was pushed to June 2017, now projecting August 23 for Elm and Pine.  Contractor on notice for Liquidated Damages.

http://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/fields/projects/file/Elm%20Maple%20Pine.pdf

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1196 on: July 24, 2017, 05:38:05 pm
LOL... Pine, Maple, and Elm were supposed to be done June 2016, then it was pushed to June 2017, now projecting August 23 for Elm and Pine.  Contractor on notice for Liquidated Damages.

http://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/fields/projects/file/Elm%20Maple%20Pine.pdf
So Elm and Pine are Aug 23, but what about Maple?

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1197 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:11 pm

Best on pancakes IMO.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1198 on: July 24, 2017, 06:30:49 pm

Best on pancakes IMO.
Maple syrup flavored cookie are where it's at.

emf

• Senior
Reply #1199 on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:38 pm

More delays https://mobile.twitter.com/rosaaxzt/status/890682432193802241/photo/1

* Recent Posts

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos