Author Topic: Name Confusion Log  (Read 380853 times)

survivor45

• Assistant Coach
Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 06:15:39 pm
Quote from: gamer;205613
I am surprised no one has related a conversation with Phil Dubois yet!

:lol: :lmao:

Perhaps we have already. Is Dubois a patron of Auto Bell?  I think he may have stopped to get his car cleaned before his job interview.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #26 on: December 16, 2006, 07:47:58 pm
Didn't we have an entire forum dedicated to this once?  It's a shame it's gone.  I had some really good examples in there.  In short, if I had a dollar for everytime our school was confused with Chapel Hill...

1)  Our Athletics would be fully funded
2)  We'd have a football stadium, team, the works
3)  We could buy the Charlotte Observer
4)  We'd have our own law school and medical school
5)  We'd completely fund the light rail line out to the University

you get the idea.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

LakeNorman49er

• Senior
Reply #27 on: December 16, 2006, 10:14:25 pm
Quote from: metro;205542

Its very simple:
people who don't want name change like being confused with UNC. And thats the last thing I want someone to associate me with.

word.  doba.
ninermike:  "LakeNorman49er= Get your misquote of me out of your signature line. "

persinger (when discussing tarholes):  "we will do a big pre-game story on the upcoming tarhole game"

persinger (when discussing 49ers):  "we never do pre-game articles on any game.  it is not our job to inform the public about the local teams."

Gill2003

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2006, 10:42:20 pm

Confusion....

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #29 on: December 16, 2006, 10:42:59 pm
These assholes STILL have us mislabeled! BOYCOTT!!
Hey "College Golf Store," it's 2006. Get with the program, SLACKERS!!
http://www.collegegolfstore.com/north_carolina-charlotte1.htm

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 11:08:22 pm
Quote from: Gill2003;205664

Confusion....

When I search UNC Charlotte, I don't get any of that. You wouldn't be trying to fabricate evidence would you? That right click menu over what your search was is a little too convenient don't you think? Besides, under the pictures it has the word "Tarheels" in bold which means it was a search perameter. :shades:

We've got more than enough evidence already. We don't need to make any up. Nice try though.

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

Brick Tamland, Weather

• Sophomore
Reply #31 on: December 17, 2006, 12:39:36 am
That was really, really queer trying to make up evidence like that. Just awful.
--------------

"I love lamp"

Gill2003

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006, 07:15:06 pm
damn... Almost got away with it....

Sideshow

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • website
Reply #33 on: December 17, 2006, 07:31:30 pm
http://tinyurl.com/yc3kck

click on "NCAA" then "UNC-Charlotte"
The greatest 49er Pep Band drummer ever.  Sorry Dustin.

Gill2003

Reply #34 on: December 17, 2006, 07:49:33 pm
wow... that hurts....

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #35 on: December 18, 2006, 08:33:54 am
My senior year of high school my family had an exchange student from Brazil for the whole school year.  I told him I was going to UNCC and he kept thinking I was going to Chapel Hill.  When I corrected him, he said, no the one in Charlotte is UNC isn't it?  I think the day he left he finally had it straight...  That there is no school in Chapel Hill.  And Charlotte is the best university!!!  Go Niners!
Go NINERS!

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #36 on: December 18, 2006, 01:05:13 pm
Both my mom and dad cannot figure out that I graduated from UNC CHARLOTTE...they call it everything under the sun EXCEPT UNCC.....

On the flipside....my grandfather is a big wig at U of Arizona in Tucson..........he has no problem understanding the difference...although he has only stepped foot inside Halton 1 time....for my graduation.

I say this to illustrate an important fact regarding our name........the number 1 missuse of the name seems to come from people WITHIN OUR OWN STATE.  What gives?

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #37 on: December 18, 2006, 01:19:37 pm
Quote from: casstommy;205840
Both my mom and dad cannot figure out that I graduated from UNC CHARLOTTE...they call it everything under the sun EXCEPT UNCC.....

On the flipside....my grandfather is a big wig at U of Arizona in Tucson..........he has no problem understanding the difference...although he has only stepped foot inside Halton 1 time....for my graduation.

I say this to illustrate an important fact regarding our name........the number 1 missuse of the name seems to come from people WITHIN OUR OWN STATE.  What gives?

Widespread sublimonal messaging in NC media outlets by Chapel Hill...  :mask: I TiVo'd something off of WTVI and played it at 1/7th speed and found images of Chapel Hill, Hitler, and blue puppy dogs popping up on the screen.
Go NINERS!

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #38 on: December 18, 2006, 02:47:57 pm
Every single one of my relatives in South Florida think that I graduated from Chapel Hill. I'll tell them I graduated from UNC Charlotte, and they say, "Oh, Go Tarheels." I told them that we changed our location, color, and name sometime last year, and that we are no longer the carolina blue tarheels from chapel hill; we are now the Green 49ers from Charlotte. I told them it was time for an upgrade. It was fun to confuse them.

Mike_Persinger

• Senior
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 09:52:27 am
Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?
Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com
(704) 358-5132

Savio

• Senior
Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 09:54:22 am
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;205989
Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?

No...they'll never let it go....

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 09:59:15 am

Sure!  You got connections somewhere Mike?
Go NINERS!

Mike_Persinger

• Senior
Reply #42 on: December 19, 2006, 10:00:47 am
No, but we buy ink by the traincar ...
Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #43 on: December 19, 2006, 10:07:08 am
Hmmm, I'm trying to find the connection here...  Are you saying that if we are nice to that school up 85 you would print enough to put pressure on Judy, Phil and the board?  Or is that just rehtoric?
Go NINERS!

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #44 on: December 19, 2006, 10:12:31 am
I would be extatic! I've come to terms with the "North Carolina" thing, but I think that I would still have beef with them going by UNC. But I would rarely if ever bring it up because it is relatively pointless. I just want to be treated fair.

Not to mention I would be too busy cheering on my football team and rocking my University of Charlotte gear! Honestly, Mike, please don't even talk this way. I'm getting all excited!

NinerAdvocate

Reply #45 on: December 19, 2006, 10:13:10 am

No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #46 on: December 19, 2006, 10:21:24 am
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;206011
No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.

Exactly what I was thinking.  That would just leave the problem to the seemingly more content schools such as UNCA, UNCG and UNCP.
Go NINERS!

NinerATL2CHA

• Senior
Reply #47 on: December 19, 2006, 10:28:21 am
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;206011

That's an excellent point.  What some people from the "outside" (not you, Mike... you've obviously been here for a while and are "in the know") do not realize is that no one here that I know of actually hates Chapel Hill because they happen to be Chapel Hill.  They dislike them because they are constantly confused with them.  Not Chapel Hill's fault... but, you can see how over time it can happen.  It just gets irritating and frustrating.

And, I would take the football deal all day long.

Mike_Persinger

• Senior
Reply #48 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:39 am
OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?
Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
(704) 358-5132

Gill2003

Reply #49 on: December 19, 2006, 10:31:04 am
I think Charlotte getting the name change.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos