Author Topic: Forest Trail Sports University  (Read 7517 times)

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
on: June 16, 2016, 10:31:10 am
Barber Scotia College is a HBCU school just outside of downtown Concord, and through financial mismanagement they lost their accreditation a couple of years ago and have stopped offering classes.  They hope to revive the college, but in the mean time they have leased most of their campus to a new university that focuses on sports.  I don't whether to be impressed that they are being honest about the real focus for many student-athletes--or should they be called athlete-students here?--or, saddened that it has come to this.  Their URL is ".com" and not ".edu", so I think this says a lot.

http://www.independenttribune.com/news/forest-trail-sports-university-taking-over-most-of-barber-scotia/article_5e53a1bc-2c13-11e6-8005-07a891439ce7.html

http://www.foresttrailsportsuniversity.com

#unc-CHeatingPays

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:19 am
Tuition and Fees 2016 2017
$38,700.00

Tuition & Fees Includes:
- Scholarship
- Athletic Program
- Double Room
- Tuition (Waldorf University)
- 14 Meals Per Week

No thanks...

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:39:24 am
At least their Online Store is nicer than ours

http://spiritstore.olinesports.com/category.php?viewcategory=3

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 11:01:58 am
Tuition and Fees 2016 2017
$38,700.00

Tuition & Fees Includes:
- Scholarship
- Athletic Program
- Double Room
- Tuition (Waldorf University)
- 14 Meals Per Week

No thanks...
$38K?? No thanks!
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

LzeroKI

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:57 am
So, no accreditation whatsoever (From what I can tell), no scholarships, who would they even play in their sports?

I'm not understanding the target "customer" for this "school"...Is it basically one of those for-profit "Universities" but with the added gimmick of playing sports for the school?

cltniners

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 04:17:01 pm
clt says this is a perfect feeder school for UNC-CHeat

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 04:31:32 pm
And why is the degree through another U?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:48:21 pm
So, no accreditation whatsoever (From what I can tell), no scholarships, who would they even play in their sports?

I'm not understanding the target "customer" for this "school"...Is it basically one of those for-profit "Universities" but with the added gimmick of playing sports for the school?

The target customer is anyone who can get a student loan. Its a scam like most for profit schools. It's garbage. 

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 09:25:13 am
Where do they play?  D1?  D2?  D3?  NAIA?

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:01:23 pm
Where do they play?  D1?  D2?  D3?  NAIA?
Their academic partner, Waldorf University, is located in Forest City, Iowa (located west of I-35 between Des Moines and Minneapolis) and is an NAIA school.

cltniners

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 06:38:39 pm
clt says the acc is pure class.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 07:02:46 am

The target customer is anyone who can get a student loan. Its a scam like most for profit schools. It's garbage.
That scam is going on in public universities and private NFP universities too.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:15 am
NinerID, if you scam for the greater good people think you're a hero.  If you scam for your own pocket, you're evil.   :-*

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 07:10:01 pm
Big O finally decided to investigate.

Charlotteobserver.com: New sports university in Concord to offer coaching, but no classes

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 08:53:33 am
No classes, no sports league.  I guess they just scrimmage all season.   :))

cltniners

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 01:31:34 pm
clt can officially report that ftsu is being punished for the CHeat scandal

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 01:40:43 pm
Didn't read through all of the Big O piece until today and saw that FTSU no longer had an academic partner.  So basically it's now a very high priced Y!!!

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:50:26 am
Run49er they are nice enough to provide a Free bus to RCCC, if $32,700 can be considered free..

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 08:38:07 pm
My heart breaks for these kids and families. They are being robbed.

This is a scam. There's no other way to put it.

The scholarship sounds great but it's just a sale. The 20k scholarship I nothing more than a "60% off all clearance" sale.

Many are likely the first kids in their families to go to college and have free (til you leave with a loan) college. They don't understand what they are messing up.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

cltniners

Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 11:52:52 pm
clt says this team will also play dewberry.

Crusader

• Freshman
Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 11:59:29 pm
clt says this team will also play dewberry.

Forest Trail, Dewberry, Charlotte and

maybe Johnson and Wales or University of Phoenix

I see the beginnings of a fine holiday tournament.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 12:57:07 pm
My heart breaks for these kids and families. They are being robbed.

This is a scam. There's no other way to put it.

The scholarship sounds great but it's just a sale. The 20k scholarship I nothing more than a "60% off all clearance" sale.

Many are likely the first kids in their families to go to college and have free (til you leave with a loan) college. They don't understand what they are messing up.
My heart breaks for them and it doesn't break for them. At this point when you see they offer no sports leagues and no academics and you still send your kid there then I don't feel sorry for you.
My heart breaks more for their bank accounts than anything else lol
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 04:43:20 pm
Fascinating and very detailed article on a similar operation, the infamous College of Faith.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/29/the-shady-college-football-team-that-gets-paid-to-lose-games/

LzeroKI

• Walk On
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 08:08:40 am
I know this is an old thread but, just as an update for those curious: ESPN did an article on how this "university" opened and subsequently shut down within just a few months.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19136428/the-downfall-america-first-sport-only-college

It was about what those on this board expected it to be: a for profit business that duped people into paying in order to play "college sports".  In reading the article, I do feel somewhat bad for the kids who went there, but at the same time I'm not sure how they thought this was on the up & up in the first place.

A local sports talk afternoon show here in the triad had the baseball/AD on yesterday afternoon; he comes off as a "good guy" on the radio show, but I'm not certain anyone involved in the operation of this "university" is a truly "good" person.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 04:45:13 pm
I know this is an old thread but, just as an update for those curious: ESPN did an article on how this "university" opened and subsequently shut down within just a few months.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19136428/the-downfall-america-first-sport-only-college

It was about what those on this board expected it to be: a for profit business that duped people into paying in order to play "college sports".  In reading the article, I do feel somewhat bad for the kids who went there, but at the same time I'm not sure how they thought this was on the up & up in the first place.

A local sports talk afternoon show here in the triad had the baseball/AD on yesterday afternoon; he comes off as a "good guy" on the radio show, but I'm not certain anyone involved in the operation of this "university" is a truly "good" person.

That is a distressing story.  It says that what the Chungs have done is not illegal, but I will bet they end up in jail soon enough because they are stupid, and con-artists.  The parents involved here seem pretty stupid too.  Nave is a nicer way to say that, but I just cannot understand why anyone would fall for this.  I feel badly for the kids who should be able to rely on adults--especially teachers, coaches, and parents to steer them to the right path.  I hope the other Forest Trail operations are investigated and closed soon.
#unc-CHeatingPays

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos