Author Topic: 2017-2018 Opponents  (Read 10387 times)

pcon

• Senior
Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 05:39:54 pm
I'm I the only one that had no clue where Methodist was located and had to look it up??  Thought it was the all girl school in Raleigh for a second...

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:21 pm
clt expects wins and losses.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:25 pm
Six road games in a row  :-\

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 08:07:33 pm
charleston was pretty good last season. they beat a lot of teams that we beat and blew out davidson. i believe they return most of their team. i dont feel like bringing up the methodist game. my feelings on that are that it is embarrassing but if we have a good season, ultimately, it won't matter. we have a lot of new pieces this season. not going to make predictions because we don't really know what our team will look like. i am optimistic but it is restrained optimistim until price shows me that he can coach defense. i'd like some updates on how the summer sessions are going.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:20 pm
Newberry last year and Methodist this coming season are why I'm leaning in favor of a 20 game conference schedule. Surely we would be able find 9 OOC foes from among the 330+ non-Conference USA Division I schools!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:21:37 pm by Run49er »

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 07:36:02 am
Hopefully the shift by the NCAA away from the RPI will persuade us out of this in the future.

It's just really poor assessment of how the RPI works combined with us being cheap. C-USA isn't going to get an at-large bid because its institutions are cheap. If we get an at-large bid it will be because the best team in C-USA will have the chance to get multiple Top 100 wins during conference play. You do that by elevating the conference RPI, you elevate the conference RPI by winning a s*** ton of games, regardless of opponent strength.

The last two seasons, conferences with the 30th SOS finished 11th and 13th. C-USA had the 19th and 27th SOS those years and finished 22nd & 23rd.

Last season C-USA went 66-89 versus D1 teams in non-conference games, and played in 18 non-D1 games. No conference with a winning percentage above .500 finished below conferences that finished under .500. Replace those 18 games with winnable (sub-325 RPI) opponents, and have each team improve by 1 game, and C-USA is knocking on the door of being a Top 10 conference at 98-75. Middle Tennessee's RPI probably goes from 34th to 24th. Marshall and La Tech go from 112 & 116 into the Top 100. All without the teams not actually being any better quality.

We are getting gamed by the RPI so badly just because every school in the conference, including Charlotte is cheap.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 09:07:24 am
[C-USA has divided the teams into tiers. We are designated "Tier 2" of 3, this designation was not on a similar document from last year. It's unclear what the role of the "Tiers" will be.

Reading this thread and looking at our schedule is bringing "TEARS" to my eyes. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:00 am
[C-USA has divided the teams into tiers. We are designated "Tier 2" of 3, this designation was not on a similar document from last year. It's unclear what the role of the "Tiers" will be.

Reading this thread and looking at our schedule is bringing "TEARS" to my eyes.
Solid work.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 11:24:38 pm
Been reading the "major" conference  offseason reports by Matt Norlander on CBSSports.com. Most of our OOC opponents who fall into that category are expected to be "cellar dwellers" in 2017-18.

Here are Norlander's power rankings:

East Carolina - #10 (of 12) AAC

Oklahoma State - #10 (of 10) Big XII

USF - #12 (of 12) AAC

Wake Forest - #9 (of 15) ACC

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 01:01:17 pm
Well if WKU has really lost Mitchell Robinson, that will change my initial expectations

Schedule is out! http://charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/7/18/49ers-announce-2017-18-mens-basketball-schedule.aspx

PDF: http://charlotte49ers.com/documents/2017/7/18//2017_18_Charlotte_49ers_men_s_basketball_schedule.pdf
Methodist looks to be a Div III school.  Are we counting this as a game or an exhibition? I casually expressed my displeasure with our real game against Newberry last year, but I gave the Athletic Dept the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe something fell through the cracks and we needed a game, or maybe they were throwing Spease a bone and letting his kid play on a floor he grew up on.  However, if we are booking a Div III school this year for a game that we are going to count then I am going to have a talk with someone.

This is "the plan" going forward. I didn't renew my season tickets last year because of this, and again will not this year. They are saying they are doing this to protect our RPI, which hasn't been Top 100 in 4 years, nothing to protect. They are doing it because the guarantee check is about 1/3 of the price. If they're looking to save a buck then so am I.

We do have 5 D1 home games in the non-conference, but we may be favored in just 2 of them. If team improves minimally, we should be 6-4 in non-conf at worst.

Losses to East Carolina, James Madison, High Point, South Florida, Chattanooga (Very good last season but lost their coach and 5 seniors) or Presbyterian should not be acceptable.

We will be lucky to get one win against Charleston, Davidson, Wake Forest, or Oklahoma State without significant drop-off from them (see Oregon State).

As for the C-USA slate, broke the games into 3 categories, based off minimal acceptable improvement from team.

Exp Losses: @ODU, @LT, @MAR, @WKU (3 Games)

Exp Wins: @Rice, @NT, MAR, @FIU, @FAU, FIU, FAU, @USM, UTSA, WKU (10 Games)

Toss-Ups: WKU, ODU, UTEP, UAB, MT, @WKU (5 Games)

Given a minimal amount of luck in the toss-up games (1-4)

C-USA Record of 11-7 would be something to work with.

So as of today, a 17-11 record (versus D1) should be a reasonable expectation to hold Coach Price to (ATTN. JUDY ROSE). Of course this is conditional, there are many variables that can pull this expectation one way or another. But if Price can't get to a 16-12 record with the balanced roster he's put together I think he will have made his case that he is NOT the man to bring Charlotte back from the abyss.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:50 pm
Georgetown dropped out of the Phil Knight Invitational this week. 

If we were savvy we'd have Coach Price on the phone with Coach Ewing (both coached on Hornets) trying to put together round-robin event. Two teams on our schedule are also not yet attached to an exempt event (James Madison, High Point), a MEAC team could be tied in and we'd get another home game paid for by the guarantee we'd get from Georgetown.

If we were savvy.

emf

• Senior
Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 09:26:10 am
I just confirmed that Methodist is considered a regular season game, not exhibition.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:44 am
I just confirmed that Methodist is considered a regular season game, not exhibition.
Not by me, it ain't.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 10:59:20 am
We should slip a game in with Queens asap to Devarte can make us regret our decision
(per his twitter)  :eek:

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:02 am
Not by me, it ain't.
Ran into a member of  their men's golf team while out shopping last week. Mentioned the upcoming hoops interaction.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 01:00:34 pm
Not by me, it ain't.

I'll be spending that evening at home with my family, cherishing the money I didn't spend on season tickets.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:29 pm

??? >:( :-[ :(

"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 01:16:48 pm
It seems that this will be the theme under Price. Doesn't want to hurt RPI by playing an Oregon State every year. I don't agree with it, but we are stuck with this for the foreseeable future it looks like.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:56 pm
It seems that this will be the theme under Price. Doesn't want to hurt RPI by playing an Oregon State every year. I don't agree with it, but we are stuck with this for the foreseeable future it looks like.

Didn't they just decide that they were going to discount the importance in RPI in the NCAA selection process?   What's the point?  It looks worse to play a non D1 team.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:53 pm

Didn't they just decide that they were going to discount the importance in RPI in the NCAA selection process?   What's the point?  It looks worse to play a non D1 team.
d2 games are cheap and we need cheap because we have been terrible for so long that our fanbase has fallen apart and basketball is either on the verge of losing money or already doing so.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 05:27:33 pm

Didn't they just decide that they were going to discount the importance in RPI in the NCAA selection process?   What's the point?  It looks worse to play a non D1 team.
As noted in another thread, RPI "survived" latest tweaks to NCAA tournament selection process, but likely will be eliminated following 2017-18 season.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:30:04 pm by Run49er »

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:48 pm

This has nothing to do with RPI. We're about to have a fifth consecutive season outside the top 100.

This is all about saving a few bucks.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:24 am

This has nothing to do with RPI. We're about to have a fifth consecutive season outside the top 100.

Have to since people like me and you stopped buying season tickets  8)

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 10:55:57 am

... and trying to add a W to the win column where it is misleading to anyone looking at it. Teams should have to at the very least put an asterik and comment for wins against non-d1. The school should exclude the W from the actual record because it's embarrassing.

I can't remember Prices contract but I wonder if there is a W incentive and the school didn't put "D-1" in the language.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:58:03 am by cibik02 »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:49 am

... and trying to add a W to the win column where it is misleading to anyone looking at it. Teams should have to at the very least put an asterik and comment for wins against non-d1. The school should exclude the W from the actual record because it's embarrassing.

I can't remember Prices contract but I wonder if there is a W incentive and the school didn't put "D-1" in the language.

Ha!  Most people don't realize how good these D-2 teams can be.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos