Author Topic: Methodist Postgame  (Read 1884 times)

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:26 pm
Charlotte 116
Methodist 76
#unc-CHeatingPays

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 10:29:03 pm
Charlotte 116
Methodist 76
Methodist teased the crowd by making one of two "fowl"shots several times in the last five minutes, thus denying them free chicken.  :p

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:36:27 pm
Impressed with the Serbs.

why is Haslem and not Davis on the MBB poster this year?
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:41:33 pm
Serbs are legit.

Not bean pole spot up shooters.  Very athletic...smart....all around players. Can shoot, pass and play defense...they move their feet like they are 6'2".  As impressive as they are...makes me wonder how good Felip is!?!  If this is the type of players we can start getting with Ivo as a coach...we could be on to something.

Ajukwa and Garvin were very impressive too.

The 2 big guys were big but were not offensive options at all...but we don't really need them to be.  They both hit their FT''s though...I honestly don't think they missed from the line.

Roster looks good.  We knew we would have good guard play (the freshman PG played well too...especially defensively).  But we have some size...some rim protection....some mismatch Serbs...alot of perimeter shooting...a lot of bball IQ guys.

Still need to see how we mesh defensively...but the energy from the team is the best it's been in years.  Especially the freshmen...they flat out get after it.

Cool thing when both Serbs are on the floor with either Haslem or Thomas...we have a front line with everyone over 6-8....but we still have 4 3pt threats on the floor and 4 ball handlers.

Not sure the w/l record or how far we can go....but it should be the most fun to watch team we've had in years.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:51:42 pm
I was annoyed that we were playing a Div III team as a regular game, but simply watching our team I have to say this is the most fun I have had at a Niners game in years.

Methodist is actually a good team until you go past their 6th man.  Charlotte on the other hand had 7 players in double figures, and 11 players on the scoreboard.  We have a nicely balanced team.  Davis, White, and Ajukwa were what you would expect tonight.  Price and Garvin surprised me.   Price went 6-6 form the field, and had 6 boards, 2 steals and a block.  Great night for him.  Garvin was the most active player we had, diving for loose balls and playing tough D.  He was 3-4 from the field, 5-5 at the line, and had 6 boards and a block.  The crowd really appreciated his play.

Supica is going to be terrific, and Vasic had a good game too.  More Serbians please.

I like McGill.  For a freshman in his first college game ever, he showed maturity in his decisions, and he is built like a fireplug at 6"2", 200 lbs.  I can't wait to see him set a pick on somebody bringing the ball up the floor.

With four minutes to go we put in the scrubs.  We were up by 31.  The scrubs stretched the lead to 40.  I suggest we put in Coach Price as the guest OC tomorrow.

Non-player highlights were the huge banners--I don't know what else to call them--that they brought out and covered the center student sections on each end.  The students held them over their heads.  Both had the C-pick 49ers logo, one was green and one was black, one said Niner the other Nation.  Good effect.  Better than my description.  It looks like we have a new sponsor promotion with Chick-fil-A.  In the last four minutes of the game, if an opposing player misses two free throws for the same foul, everyone gets a free Chick-fil-A sandwich.  The crowd went nuts on this.  We were cheering when they called a foul on us, and crazy loud when their player was shooting.  It was hilarious.  Best promo since the Poulan Chain Saw give away in the '90s every time we broke 100, which we often did.

I will be at the football game tomorrow, but as far as I am concerned it is officially basketball season.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:55:02 pm by Nugget »
#unc-CHeatingPays

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:02:48 pm
Alot of fun tonight good crowd
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:48 pm
Also....not a predictor of much of anything but as a testament to our athleticism this year...our pregame layup line was eye opening. One of the serbs was dunking like MJ lite (reverse full double clutch all the way down and back) and the entire layup line was a show-boating dunk fest that went 10 deep or so.

Seems like for the last decade we barely had 3 guys on the roster that could dunk at all...now we have 10 guys dunking and 4-5 doing so like they're trying to win a dunk contest.

Our most athletic and deepest layup line in a decade or so.  Very fun to watch in and of itself.

For what that's worth.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 11:16:48 pm
The 30 for 30 on the Serbs after we win the National Championship is going to be phenomenal.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

49ersRock

• Walk On
Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:27 pm
Great opening win.Will be interesting to see how we match up with Oklahoma State on Monday night.I see where that game will be on Fox Sports SE.

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:11 pm

NWA was lookin' strong tonight on the big screen.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:42:01 pm
It was a fun night, obviously it’s hard to get too excited given the competition, but well I am. We are bigger, deeper, and more athletic than last year. Can’t wait to see how we do Monday.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:44:52 pm
clt says we still miss beans.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 12:07:36 am
It was a fun night, obviously it’s hard to get too excited given the competition, but well I am. We are bigger, deeper, and more athletic than last year. Can’t wait to see how we do Monday.
The good news is Methodist is probably as good as, or better than, four CUSA teams.  The bad news is Methodist is probably as good as, or better than, four CUSA teams.
#unc-CHeatingPays

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 12:16:57 am
Tonight made me excited to be a Niner fan! What an idea  :))
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 12:24:41 am
The 30 for 30 on the Serbs after we win the National Championship is going to be phenomenal.
Yes. Yes, indeed.  ;D

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 04:10:09 am
What is the most points we’ve ever scored in a game? 116 has the be close to a record. Granted the opponent was D-III.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:32 am
Yes. Yes, indeed.  ;D

You Got Serbed?
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 05:41:53 am

NWA was lookin' strong tonight on the big screen.

Lifting glasses of whiskey builds muscle mass
Mahna Mahna

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 05:58:16 am
What is the most points we’ve ever scored in a game? 116 has the be close to a record. Granted the opponent was D-III.

Pretty sure we put up 120+ on A&T around 2004, and held them under 40. Those were the days when beat downs were expected and fairly reliable.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 07:04:10 am

Pretty sure we put up 120+ on A&T around 2004, and held them under 40. Those were the days when beat downs were expected and fairly reliable.

That score was 102-39. It's a shame a D-3 game will hold this record like it has meaning. I remember putting 123 up on Pfeifer in a 2008 exhibition though.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:31 am

that game was 102-39/

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:56 am
Glad to see that we didn't struggle in our counted exhibition game.  Also good to see Davis with 8 assists in limited play.  Pretty close to a double double in 23 minutes.  Monday will tell us where we are.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 08:29:38 am
Yes. Yes, indeed.  ;D

You Got Serbed?
that is the slogan at intermezzo, a restaurant in plaza owned by serbs.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 08:39:09 am

Postgame radio said 116 was a Halton record.

Niner17

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 09:02:05 am
Look who photobombed this pic after the women’s game last night!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos