Author Topic: OK State post mortem  (Read 2868 times)

austinniner

• Senior
on: November 13, 2017, 10:12:05 pm
It was ugly.  A game I would on paper expect us to win, but we were run out of the gym.  We still don't play defense.  My, how far we have fallen.  It will take us forever to climb back up.  After 40 years of fandom, I considered throwing in the towel seriously for the first time ever.  Man, it really sucks to be a Niner right now, and I experienced the H@# Wiss&#$ years as a fan.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:22:18 pm
I agree about throwing in the towel.  Had a small sliver of hope for the season going into this game but we took care if that real quick.

We looked awful and unprepared.  Tired of watching us throw up brick after brick.  New players same story. 

Maybe we will bounce back but after that crapshow I am not optimistic.

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:46 pm
I agree about throwing in the towel.  Had a small sliver of hope for the season going into this game but we took care if that real quick.

We looked awful and unprepared.  Tired of watching us throw up brick after brick.  New players same story. 

Maybe we will bounce back but after that crapshow I am not optimistic.

That was some serious butt hurt.  A 5'-9" guard posterized Garvin................... Geez!
We came out scared. That was obvious.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:28:42 pm by MEGRNiner »

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:26 pm
Positives
Davis and White played hard under trying circumstances. 
Ryan Murphy came off the bench and hit two threes late.  Murphy has a nice stroke and NBA range.  He needs to see more time on the floor.
Hudson Price had some nice rebounds and several inside baskets

Negatives
Ajukwa was invisible.  Had no positive impact.
Haslem was poor on defense and outhustled for rebounds.  He is good for 10-15 minutes per game as a role player - best case.
Supica and Vasic both had rough outings although Supica contributed some in garbage time.

I am cautiously optimistic that we will improve.  There are some building blocks.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:56 pm

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:17 pm
OSU hit a lot of tough shots in the first half and we were ice cold. We never got into a rhythm in the first half and dug too big of a hole. We out scored them in the second half. P5 schools are going to have better athletes than us and it showed with their shot blocking ability. We rebounded better than most games last season. If we can hit shots early and build our confidence I feel we can beat many of the teams on our schedule. I’m not worried yet.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:35:19 pm
Going go wait to post on this.  Only comment I have to make is give Haslems scholarship to Price.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

chidave

• Junior
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:50:57 pm
That was a gut shot, I thought we had a great shot in this one but it was over almost from the opening tip. On the bright side they kept fighting in the second half, but yikes.

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:38 pm
I guess we can officially transition from depressing FB postgame interviews to depressing MBB postgame interviews.

From the desk of Judy Rose: “They let me be Athletic Director ya’ll! Look at the Charlotte 49er logo that I made with a crayon. Ain’t it purdy. Aww shucks, did we lose again?”

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:33 pm
We are better than we showed tonight, it may be a minuscule amount or a large amount.  I just know we have to be better than tonight.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:55:12 am
Not speaking in hyperbole when I say we probably have one of the worst defenses in college basketball. No help defense down low. Terrible to rotate around the perimeter. Nonexistant communication.

OK state having better atheletes shouldnt have anything to do with how poor our defense was. Judy or previous coaches have nothing to do with this. That defensive performance was embarrassing.

I want to be a fan of this program, but I'm afraid I've seen all I need to see from basketball this season.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:53 am
Not speaking in hyperbole when I say we probably have one of the worst defenses in college basketball. No help defense down low. Terrible to rotate around the perimeter. Nonexistant communication.

OK state having better atheletes shouldnt have anything to do with how poor our defense was. Judy or previous coaches have nothing to do with this. That defensive performance was embarrassing.

I want to be a fan of this program, but I'm afraid I've seen all I need to see from basketball this season.

We couldn’t get our shots off last night and score enough points. The defense wasn’t great but wasn’t our biggest problem last night.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 07:31:27 am
clt thanks the team for making it easy to watch the full panthers game. Was planning to multi screen, but no need.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:48:03 am
Yeah... not even going to lie, I have no idea who is even on this team this year other than Jon Davis and the coach's son.

Did not watch. Did not listen to the radio. Did not follow online. Did not know the game was last night...and basketball is by far my favorite sport.

I get that this is just one game, but statistically, the idea that we would improve by 150 RPI and compete to make the NIT was close to impossible. It's even more depressing that we wasted Pierria Henry's talent, and now Jon Davis's talent.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:29 am
Our guys did NOT look ready...

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:22:08 am
We should never use a game against a D3 team to predict how good we will be.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:10 am
We should never use a game against a D3 team to predict how good we will be.
The Methodist game suckered me into thinking we had some talent and depth.  Ugh!

I didn't watch the game last night, and it sounds like that is a good thing.  Most of our team have only ever played two games together, so there should be some gelling as we move forward, and much of C-USA is weak.  We may do okay, but this sure let's us know there is a big gap between where we are, and the teams that used to beat ranked teams.  Still, it is going to be better than football.
#unc-CHeatingPays

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:33 am
Just watched the game from the DVR. Embarrassing game by the niners. Every player looked out matched.

Davis is obviously our best player but he made ill-advised passes and gave up the open pass to teammates to take on 2-3 OSU players. Reminded me of Kobe Bryant out there having a bad game. Some possessions were just very poor decision making and trying to hard. There is a fine line between taking over a game and playing 1 on 5.

Rebounding? Wow. Terrible.

After watching that game, whatever little confidence I had in Price went out the window. Hopefully this was just a hiccup but wow, not good.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:45:36 am by cibik02 »

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:21 am
We had 33 rebounds to their 37. Look at the stats we shot poorly and they out shot us. We both had 8 offensive rebounds.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=400989227

ninereast

• Walk On
Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:26:32 am
Going go wait to post on this.  Only comment I have to make is give Haslems scholarship to Price.

I watched the game this morning and tossed my breakfast. Haslem either was not paying attention or moves at a very slow pace to allow guards to drive in for easy layups. YOU HAVE TO CONTEST BIG MAN! Thomas looked better defensively. Both big men have offensive limitations at this point.

OK State double teamed Davis early on and it worked. We did settle down in the second half and did not allow a 40 point loss.

Please be better than this!

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:51:25 am
It was 30-8 early on, then OSU decided to stop playing defense in spurts, allowing us to keep it around -20 for the game.  Their coach took multiple timeouts pissed off at their effort after they went up big.  If they had kept on the gas, it would have been a 30-40 pt loss.  Don't let the score or the small difference in rebounds fool you, we were that outmatched.

Any improvement we'll make this season over last season will be marginal.  And to think, I was actually a little excited for the game last night.  Gut check, not that anyone's surprised, though. 

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:08 am
After watching the game this morning I have a few thoughts.

- Ajukwa played a really bad game.  Shot the ball poorly, was out of position on offense and defense, and looked lost overall.  He was particularly terrible during OK State's initial run.

- Davis tried to do too much once the team was down.  Everyone stood and watched the action while Davis took bad shots and tried to draw fouls.  They are much better moving and trying to find open shots.

- The players were not confident from the start.  A lot of open shots passed up for drives and misses.

- The defense was ok, but they had lapses where no one rotated over to help.  Davis got tired and left his man open a couple of times.  Also, it looks like the strategy is to go under ball screens versus over.   More concerned about drives instead of 3 point shots.

- The shots simply didn't fall early.  When you don't make open shots you will lose.  OK State was not making shots through some stretches, but were 11 of 11 from the FT line. 

This team must work hard to be ready for conference play.  They are an improvement over last season though.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 11:58:19 am
Big O not aware that Carroll has been suspended.
CHARLOTTE (1-0) at OKLAHOMA STATE (1-0)

Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, Okla., 8 p.m.

These teams played once before – 38 years ago (the 49ers won). The Cowboys are picked to finish last in the Big 12, but forward Jeffrey Carroll (averaged 17.8 points last season) is a big-time threat. The 49ers pummeled Division III Methodist in their opener.
Charlotteobserver.com: College basketball: Monday’s area games to watch

So, we lost by 18 to what's projected to be the worst Big 12 team who also happened to be missing their best player?

Ouch

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 12:32:53 pm
It will be interesting to see how this team responds.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:57 pm
i really thought we could win yesterday but even a close loss, with good signs of improvement, would have given me hope. obviously we are not the same team when we miss all those threes but we shold be able to throw the ball inside more. big guys have to finish. watched first few minutes of the game and thought the defense looked a lot better which makes me wonder if it is coaching or if the team struggles to maintain their composure during adversity. i can forgive the new guys for being timid during their first road game but we have enough upperclassmen that this should not be happening to the rest of the team. im going to the charleston game saturday but i am giving the team maybe 2-3 more chances or im done.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos