Author Topic: OK State post mortem  (Read 2867 times)

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 02:07:07 pm
When you look at OSU on paper it is tough to evaluate them after losing so much last year and with Jeffries out indefinitely.  They were probably correct in picking them last, but now that games are being played it is pretty clear that they are a decent team.

I mean - even at last in the Big12, I'm pretty sure they were projected to finish decently in the overall scheme of things.  SI had them 71st and CBS had them 94th.  My problem isn't that I think OSU is garbage (they're not), but that we didn't even look competent for 2/3 of the game.

I am not trying to put too much of a spin on this team because they haven't proven a damn thing, but if the shots would have fallen early on we would have not looked as bad.  I know if teams made shots then they will win, but we had good looks that didn't fall.  Once we were behind it changed the way we played because Davis tried to do too much.  Not saying that we win 10 games this year, but we would have looked better if the open shots would've dropped.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:28 pm
Once we were behind it changed the way we played because Davis tried to do too much. 

But if he's supposed to be a contender for CUSA player of the year and a future NBA draft possibility....when we struggle early like that...he NEEDS to take over.
An NBA calibre prospect takes over when his team needs it and is effective at it.

He tried to do what we needed him to do...he just wasn't very effective at it.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 02:34:40 pm
Once we were behind it changed the way we played because Davis tried to do too much. 

But if he's supposed to be a contender for CUSA player of the year and a future NBA draft possibility....when we struggle early like that...he NEEDS to take over.
An NBA calibre prospect takes over when his team needs it and is effective at it.

I don't disagree, but the team is better when he doesn't have to do that.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 02:38:24 pm

I don't disagree, but the team is better when he doesn't have to do that.

Completely agree.

But on the nights when the team is struggling...the NBA prospect is supposed to do what he do.

It's early.  It's a learning experience for him and the team.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:33 pm
Watching this game and others in the past 2 years, Davis pattern has been the same. Try to get everyone involved early and get himself going later. What he has to recognize now is teams are game planning for him, by doubling him. The others are gonna have to make shots in order to free him up. Aside from White and Davis, the team looked overwhelmed.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos