Author Topic: 20 years. Was it worth it? Will not be renewing anything  (Read 1732 times)

Gassman

• Junior
I have had season tickets for every season that Halton and JRS have been open.

Looking back I have to question whether or not it was worth it.

Ever since the CUSA breakup the basketball program has been in slow steady decline.

I was hopeful about football, but we see where things are going and how they have gone up to this point.

The simple truth is that the AD leadership has failed to make the correct hires and failed to act when necessary to correct those issues.

The simple truth is that our University leadership has failed to hold the AD leadership accountable for this.

I never expected to be a dominant team in either sport but I didnít expect us to basically become a laughing stock.

The fact is that Niner athletics is a black hole that I will no longer throw money down.

I just wish I had opened my eyes to the truth before I wasted my money on FSLs. What a joke!!!

It has gotten so bad that I cannot get anyone in my family to attend games with me, and I can barely give away tickets when I canít use them.

I will not give $ or purchase season tickets. I reserve the right to pick up individual game tickets, but the season tickets are done.

The older I get the more I see clearly that problems start at the top in any organization. The plain and evident truth in this situation is that our leadership is really, really bad at their jobs.

The other day I happened to be on campus during the day and for the first time I walked up onto campus and checked out the former location of the Belk tower. I didnít think it would bother me that it was gone, but it did.

This university leadership team that has allowed our current AD stay in place, which has led to the rot of our programs that you see today is the same leadership team that allowed the Belk tower to fall into disrepair.

During this time our university has largely grown, but I ask you this?  Is that because of our leadership or is IN SPITE of them? 

Are they really managing other aspects of the university better than athletics or have we grown due to the ďrising tide that lifts all boatsĒ of a southern boom city?

Obviously I will never have the insight to answer that question. Maybe someone will write that history one day.

The bottom line for me is that this AD has been allowed to stay in place despite horrible horrible job performance and Iím just not going to support that anymore. It stinks of the worst stereotype of the government employee that gets to hang on to their job no matter what. It makes me sick.

It pains me that our students are stuck with such high fees to support such mediocrity.

I would not blame any student who makes a stink about this. I really wouldnít.

So in closing, I am still a fan. I will still bleed green. But I will not be supporting this administration financially beyond single game tickets, not until things change.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:17:12 am

WAS it worth it? Yes.

Is it worth it now?  Absolutely NOT.

Judy needs to go ASAP.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:18:49 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:18:17 am
good post.  but.....
they. don't. care.

student revolt is the only fear they have
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:00 am
all is well Gas.... just check out the next addition of "from the desk of Judy Rose" and she will list every verb in the english language except WINNING:

evaluating, studying, partnering, celebrating, announcing, researching, pursuing, coordinating, discussing, implementing, improving (yes really), upgrading, outreaching, contacting, representing (lol not in championships), engaging, reaching out, serving (more like getting served), looking, and welcoming (my ass). 

Oh and pat her on the head for hosting an ncaa round uptown!  so awesome we host other teams who try.  Get your advance tickets now!!!   :rolleyes:

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:57:23 am
all is well Gas.... just check out the next addition of "from the desk of Judy Rose" and she will list every verb in the english language except WINNING:

evaluating, studying, partnering, celebrating, announcing, researching, pursuing, coordinating, discussing, implementing, improving (yes really), upgrading, outreaching, contacting, representing (lol not in championships), engaging, reaching out, serving (more like getting served), looking, and welcoming (my ass). 

Oh and pat her on the head for hosting an ncaa round uptown!  so awesome we host other teams who try.  Get your advance tickets now!!!   :rolleyes:

Great post. This perfectly encapsulates the way they communicate and demonstrate their tone deafness about our performance.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:13 am
I don't fault anyone for waking away.  I have backed down to only what I have to give.  For me personally I refuse to let nonalums run me off from my school at this point. 

I will hang in long enough to see her leave.  If we replace her with anyone in house I'll walk away. 

Mahna Mahna

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:22:59 am

WAS it worth it? Yes.

Is it worth it now?  Absolutely NOT.

Judy needs to go ASAP.

Exactly how I feel.  It used to be a blast but now it's just a chore.  I have season tix to football but I doubt I get them next year.  The only reason I have to come to football now is tailgating with friends I don't normally see much.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:41 am
I've contributed since I graduated in 2007. Had basketball season tickets, FSLs etc. and I'm in the top 750 in rank. But I can't do it anymore. I've moved away from the Charlotte area and I haven't been able to convince myself (or wife) to make the drive in to a single game this year. Its just not worth it and I'm over it. I feel such a relief with cutting ties, like the burden has been removed.
ďAll that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universalĒ

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:10:53 am
I don't fault anyone for waking away.  I have backed down to only what I have to give.  For me personally I refuse to let nonalums run me off from my school at this point. 

I will hang in long enough to see her leave.  If we replace her with anyone in house I'll walk away.
yep, promoting from within will be the last straw.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 11:18:33 am

yep, promoting from within will be the last straw.

Cara may be the next AD.

Halton49

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:38 am
Been a Niner for a long time.  Graduated the Final Four year and had the sports weekend of my life at Rupp Arena watching us take out Syracuse and Michigan.  40 years later, I can still feel the excitement we all had after the Michigan game.  We need a change in leadership.  I want to sign the Fire Judy petition, but I personally can't make myself do it because I don't want to think I was a part of getting someone fired from their job.  But I do wish Judy would either retire or get reassigned to another position without influence.  It is very apparent we need someone new "with fire in their belly" who values a winning culture (and no, I do not want to cheat like you know who).  Like others have said, I have contributed for years, bought FSLs and season tickets for both basketball and football.  In the mid 200 range in the ranking system.  But I am growing tired of the losing, and the expectation that we will lose before the game even begins.  I am beginning to think that single game tickets in the future for fewer games may be the way to go.  It certainly isn't hard to get them.  And of course, Father Time is not on my side, and I want to see us relevant again sooner than later.  I read the board often, and don't post much, but yesterday's embarrassment with both major sports spurred this post.  Go Niners!

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:41 pm

Ever since the CUSA breakup the basketball program has been in slow steady decline.

I was hopeful about football, but we see where things are going and how they have gone up to this point.

The simple truth is that the AD leadership has failed to make the correct hires and failed to act when necessary to correct those issues.

The simple truth is that our University leadership has failed to hold the AD leadership accountable for this.

I never expected to be a dominant team in either sport but I didnít expect us to basically become a laughing stock.

The fact is that Niner athletics is a black hole that I will no longer throw money down.

I just wish I had opened my eyes to the truth before I wasted my money on FSLs. What a joke!!!

It has gotten so bad that I cannot get anyone in my family to attend games with me, and I can barely give away tickets when I canít use them.

I will not give $ or purchase season tickets. I reserve the right to pick up individual game tickets, but the season tickets are done.

The older I get the more I see clearly that problems start at the top in any organization. The plain and evident truth in this situation is that our leadership is really, really bad at their jobs.

The other day I happened to be on campus during the day and for the first time I walked up onto campus and checked out the former location of the Belk tower. I didnít think it would bother me that it was gone, but it did.

This university leadership team that has allowed our current AD stay in place, which has led to the rot of our programs that you see today is the same leadership team that allowed the Belk tower to fall into disrepair.

During this time our university has largely grown, but I ask you this?  Is that because of our leadership or is IN SPITE of them? 

Are they really managing other aspects of the university better than athletics or have we grown due to the ďrising tide that lifts all boatsĒ of a southern boom city?

Obviously I will never have the insight to answer that question. Maybe someone will write that history one day.

The bottom line for me is that this AD has been allowed to stay in place despite horrible horrible job performance and Iím just not going to support that anymore. It stinks of the worst stereotype of the government employee that gets to hang on to their job no matter what. It makes me sick.

It pains me that our students are stuck with such high fees to support such mediocrity.

So in closing, I am still a fan. I will still bleed green. But I will not be supporting this administration financially beyond single game tickets, not until things change.

D.O.B.A.

This post describes me to a "T".

CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 01:36:06 pm

D.O.B.A.

This post describes me to a "T".

Not really. You want to turn against NINER NATION by giving app fans your tix? Among other things. Inexcusable.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.Ē
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:51 pm
No itís not inexcusable.

Itís inexcusable what has happened to this fanbase and athletic department.

Why any of us still care, when the AD obviously does not is beyond me, but more power to him waiting till judy is gone. Itíll save him a lot of heartache.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 02:31:12 pm

Me too!  I'll be the curmudgeon with the really old Niner hat and shirt that I bought when we  Niners complained about our first round seed.  I will be around when the current failures finally leave!  And if they don't like it they can kiss my axe!

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 04:22:48 pm
We have the potential to be where Memphis, Houston, USF, and Houston are today with better leadership and marketing. If you are really leaving comeback sometime  because itís going to be a lot of fun.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 04:46:21 pm
We have the potential to be where Memphis, Houston, USF, and Houston are today with better leadership and marketing. If you are really leaving comeback sometime  because itís going to be a lot of fun.
had the potential. Imo, the gap is too much to make up at this point. Power conferences are starting to squeeze us out with more conference games. I think aac has enough clout to not be pushed put unless the p5s decide to just said their most valuable programs.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 05:10:32 pm
had the potential. Imo, the gap is too much to make up at this point. Power conferences are starting to squeeze us out with more conference games. I think aac has enough clout to not be pushed put unless the p5s decide to just said their most valuable programs.

There is a time coming when P5 schools arenít going to get ridiculous TV money for basically breathing.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 05:10:54 pm
Agree NN.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 05:11:43 pm

We definitely had the potential.  I think we still have an outside shot but not with our current leadership, including both the AD and the chancellor. 

I think our best shot is to land in the AAC and hope they have enough clout.  It will take leadership ready to make a hard sale, which is the opposite of what we have now.  We'll probably need some luck too.  But first we have to prove we want to win.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:17:22 pm by 49r9r »

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 05:16:53 pm
3 things in lifer are certain:
death
taxes
the 49ers and Judy Rose will make a reactive conference affiliate decision after its too late

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 05:56:37 pm
The Athletic Department is an embarrassment to the University. There is no accountability and performance does not matter.

Don't expect anything different until the entire athletic administration is gone.

Shame on historically big donors such as Dale Halton and others that have enabled this all. Judy Rose and her team are enabled by them.

It's perfect for the AD, because they have a couple of big donors in their back pocket that have no standards of excellence for the AD... and they don't have to worry about new donors coming in and raising the bar because they don't try to grow that base at all.

It's an awful situation.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 05:58:06 pm
Been a Niner for a long time.  Graduated the Final Four year and had the sports weekend of my life at Rupp Arena watching us take out Syracuse and Michigan.  40 years later, I can still feel the excitement we all had after the Michigan game.  We need a change in leadership.  I want to sign the Fire Judy petition, but I personally can't make myself do it because I don't want to think I was a part of getting someone fired from their job.  But I do wish Judy would either retire or get reassigned to another position without influence.  It is very apparent we need someone new "with fire in their belly" who values a winning culture (and no, I do not want to cheat like you know who).  Like others have said, I have contributed for years, bought FSLs and season tickets for both basketball and football.  In the mid 200 range in the ranking system.  But I am growing tired of the losing, and the expectation that we will lose before the game even begins.  I am beginning to think that single game tickets in the future for fewer games may be the way to go.  It certainly isn't hard to get them.  And of course, Father Time is not on my side, and I want to see us relevant again sooner than later.  I read the board often, and don't post much, but yesterday's embarrassment with both major sports spurred this post.  Go Niners!

clt welcomes you and encourages you to post more on this chat page. We need wisdom.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 05:59:31 pm

There is a time coming when P5 schools arenít going to get ridiculous TV money for basically breathing.
all the more reason to squeeze non p5s out. Leaves them with more ncaa tournament revenue and bowl revenue.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 06:25:48 pm

all the more reason to squeeze non p5s out. Leaves them with more ncaa tournament revenue and bowl revenue.

Some of the schools are going to have trouble qualifying for those things without the non P5s.

The entire model we have now only works for a handful of schools without the obscene TV money.  Unless those schools wanna go it on their own, the paradigm will shift.

Mahna Mahna

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos