Author Topic: 20 years. Was it worth it? Will not be renewing anything  (Read 1731 times)

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 06:39:30 pm
They would just lower the qualifications for bowl eligibility.

Iím pretty convinced that the future is a separate division for the G5 (or most of them).

It all depends on the money. If itís sustainable then things will stay the same. If itís not, at some point in the near future you will see some schools choosing to move down to FCS.

For a while I would imagine the G5 could be reinforced with a few FCS schools that want to give it a try.

Right now it sure SEEMS unsustainable BUT there is a lot of creative accounting going on and a lot of student fees being collected around the country.

It just may go on and on the way it is until some mega event like drastic TV revenue decreases which will trickle down to reduced revenue for G5s or state legislatures banning or reducing student fees for athletics.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 06:53:10 pm
We have the potential to be where Memphis, Houston, USF, and Houston are today with better leadership and marketing. If you are really leaving comeback sometime  because itís going to be a lot of fun.
Years ago we let USF get our spot because someone didn't want to start football.  At the time Charlotte was WAY more better than USF, but it's all spilt milk now.  Amazing what USF has done since - some rough years they had getting going but now they are legit.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 06:53:52 pm

Iím pretty convinced that the future is a separate division for the G5 (or most of them).

It all depends on the money. If itís sustainable then things will stay the same. If itís not, at some point in the near future you will see some schools choosing to move down to FCS.

For a while I would imagine the G5 could be reinforced with a few FCS schools that want to give it a try.

Right now it sure SEEMS unsustainable BUT there is a lot of creative accounting going on and a lot of student fees being collected around the country.

It just may go on and on the way it is until some mega event like drastic TV revenue decreases which will trickle down to reduced revenue for G5s or state legislatures banning or reducing student fees for athletics.

The next round of TV contracts is going down - across all sports.  Hell most experts see ESPN and sports networks collapsing in the future.  Stands are empty for even top 25 SEC schools.  Ratings are down for sports in general. There is a massive shift coming.  The Alabamas and Texases are immune but mid and lower level P5 schools won't be able to hang. 
Mahna Mahna

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:59 pm
It's been 15 years since Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette, and DePaul announced they were leaving CUSA to join the Big East.  Shortly afterwards, Judy told us that she was told 2 years prior we would have been invited to the Big East too if we had football.  Instead of responding that we would start football if the Big East would still have us, she announced we were joining the A10.  Then USF and their startup football program pounced on an offer from the Big East.

Then a few years later, s*** started to hit the fan, mainly because of Judy's stubbornness and poor vision.  Then she claimed she fought for football for 20 years.

it's amazing that some of our fans still support her.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:23:18 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 08:54:04 pm
Here is where I am.

If Judy or a current member of the Athletic Department are still in place as the AD the date donations are due, they will not get a penny from me. Granted my $ isnít going to make anyone lose sleep, but enough people like me will have an impact..

If Brad Lambert is still the coach, I will still buy my required two FSL seasons as Iím not ready to pull the plug on the investment quite yet... however I will donate the entire season to Big Brothers Big Sisters. I canít take another season of unimaginably awful football, itís the act opposite of fun.

I can b**** till I drop, but as long as Dubois enables Judy to call the shots we are at the mercy of idiocy. All we can do is walk away.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 12:54:24 am

The next round of TV contracts is going down - across all sports.  Hell most experts see ESPN and sports networks collapsing in the future.  Stands are empty for even top 25 SEC schools.  Ratings are down for sports in general. There is a massive shift coming.  The Alabamas and Texases are immune but mid and lower level P5 schools won't be able to hang.

Yeah I have noticed a lot of empty seats in a lot of games on TV.

If the mid and lower P5 canít keep it going then we are screwed.

May be a good thing we havenít expanded the stadium......

This is anecdotal but I see a general lack of enthusiasm for sports among a lot of people. Either your a hard core or sort of ambivalent about it. I remember lamenting to my family the other day ďnobody just goes to the game anymoreĒ.

Probably a combination of cost and too many other entertainment options.

I definitely see non sports fans rebelling about paying fees for sports when they donít watch sports. They want ala cart plans.

When you are able to unlink the big sports networks from a basic cable package then the game is over.

The fact that Disney is starting their own streaming service makes me think they are not going to be able to use their market power to keep the cable and satellite systems in line for much longer. They seem to see the future as streaming. 

goniners2016

• Walk On
Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 06:54:06 am
I havenít been around as long as some of you, but everyone has described my feelings perfectly. I graduated in 2016. Never saw success in basketball (heard excuse after excuse and tweety birds), witnessed the emergence of football, but what really made my college experience was traveling to Hoover to see us come close to winning our first national championship. God I loathe UNC-CHeat.

That was the only real highlight for me as a student.

What continues to baffle me is the acceptance of mediocrity here. I know members of the AD have to show that theyíre unified with Judy, but I really honestly believe after to talking to most that they do think there is nothing to worry about. And what even more alarming is that some top donors who only care to be liked also feel the same way.

Nothing will change unless a change takes place (starting at the top). And Iíll be damned if Judy retires and they promote from within - Darin, Kim, or whoever else.

Some of you have said that youíll look at single game tickets now. Thatís what Iím doing. Itís easy to come by and theyíre cheap. I had the opportunity to purchase basketball season tickets, but I just couldnít bring myself to it. And thatís a shame.

I visit the board often but hardly post. Just know that I share your thoughts and feelings. I still believe things will get better. I just hope they get better before we lose another graduating class who hasnít experienced the joys of being a Niner on gameday.
"You don't say much my friend, but when you do it's to the point, and I salute you for it."

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 07:00:54 am
clt says our players cannot remember a time when we were good at sports. Other than the golf and soccer runs.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos