Author Topic: Thoughts of a graduating Niner  (Read 471 times)

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
on: November 19, 2017, 11:50:58 am
As I took in my last home football game last week a lot of things ran through my mind.
I remembered my first home game a 56-0 W over JC Smith, I left at halftime because it was 90 degrees and watched the entire second half from my room in Hunt Hall, genuinely excited about football at Charlotte.
Sadly since then that excitement has turned to disappointment and just a general lack of caring.
I'd say I was one of the few who attended almost every home game win or lose. Tried my best to cheer on the Niners and make the best out of embarrassing losses.
Over the four years I can count on my hands how many times I went home happy. With a good amount of those coming in 2014 when we won three home games I believe.
For four years I paid record student fees to watch football get driven into the ground by a coach and an athletic department that just does not care.
For four years, I've had players that I coach who could play and star here get ignored by our staff and watch them go elsewhere and make genuine impacts on the teams they play while our staff brings in kids from 1000 miles away who probably didn't even know Charlotte existed before getting a letter in the mail.
For four years I watched the student attendance dwindle to what it was vs MTSU which I'd venture to say was around 500-1000 students total.
I sat there wondering if we will ever see this program rise up to the potential it has. Four years of disappointment, losing and an attitude of not caring by our athletic department have destroyed school spirit to the point where thousands show up to the tailgate, but maybe 10% actually make it to the game.
I do not know what the answer is, Judy Rose has been here for 42 years total and 27 as AD. I saw somewhere on here that maybe a student revolt would change things, sadly the students here do not care enough to do that.
For four years I watched friends at other schools have such great football cultures even at smaller schools like Elon and Richmond that made me jealous while I sat in an empty JRS watching the Niners find another way to kick their fans in the balls.
There are positives though. None on the field, but I got to meet some of the best people through going to the football games and would never trade any of those memories for anything. Those times rooting for the Niners as they broke our hearts gave me some of the bestfriends I could've asked for. Sadly, outside of that it is hard to find any other positives.
Lastly, at the MTSU game I sat with three of my senior players all of whom looking at Charlotte as a possible destination. Not to play football, but to get a great education and we do provide one. And I couldn't help but think what their four years will be like.
I pray that it isn't anything like mine have been.
Disappointed does not even begin to describe my feelings towards this football team and AD. We are not broken beyond repair, but damn it's hard to see any form of light at the end of this tunnel.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:48:22 pm
If Rose knew what was best for Charlotte athletics she would step aside at the end of the year.  First, let Lambert go, and then make a statement that the next AD would hire a FB coach.  We need NEW!  New perspective, new ideas, new goals, new excitement.  A new logo even!  Everything is stale and undesirable.  Rose should understand this and do what's best for the school.  Your time is up. 

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:03:31 pm
If Rose knew what was best for Charlotte athletics she would step aside at the end of the year.  First, let Lambert go, and then make a statement that the next AD would hire a FB coach.  We need NEW!  New perspective, new ideas, new goals, new excitement.  A new logo even!  Everything is stale and undesirable.  Rose should understand this and do what's best for the school.  Your time is up.
Don't care about the logo, but we need new energetic and young leadership.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:41:34 pm
I feel ya Niner Alum.

I graduated 2016, my last game was that OT loss to UTSA where Matt Johnson threw it in the end zone. At that point I had hope for where wed end up, but now its hopeless.

The excitement of beating Campbell and GA state cant be the high water marks for the program, but right now, it feels like it will be.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:54:03 pm by Ninerfan2012 »

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 02:30:08 pm
she doesnt understand messaging, how brands function, nor market trends.  she is 100% administrator.  she is worst possi ble school for her skill set.  We are young and urban area.  Hell i wager she cant even tell you how espn 3 works or what roku is. 
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:51:26 pm
clt would love to go back to the norm logo.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos