Author Topic: How has your support changed for the 49ers?  (Read 2500 times)

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:46 pm
This thread is in the Football forum, but the topic question applies to Athletics in general. Looking for serious responses.

For better or worse, have you changed how you support the Niners over the last 10 years? What needs to change for your support to increase?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:32:37 pm
I still go to a lot of basketball games,  but I enjoy mocking our inept athletic department more than I enjoy our sporting events these days. 

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:39:52 pm
The who?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:01:43 pm
Since moving back to NC from Iowa in 2013, I was a basketball season ticket holder until this season, and last year was also a football season ticket holder.  I will not buy season tix again until a change is made to the AD (both sports and memorabilia) and people in the band don't take a knee (Football only and donations to the band).  I want to spend more money, but refuse to put my hard earned money in places where there continues to be things that I do not believe in.  I may buy a ticket for a Saturday basketball game this season, but it is not a priority.  I did spend $12/month for CUSA TV to watch basketball games.

I am a die hard basketball fan.  As a graduate in 2000, I used to skip engineering classes to go to the games.  Now students don't even want to go to games when they don't have class.  It is a shame.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:26 pm
From the start of the 2008-09 season through the end of the 2015-16 season I missed just one home mens basketball game. I traveled to San Juan, Louisville, Charleston, Knoxville, Memphis, Atlanta, Cincinnati, DC, Richmond, Greenville & Rock Hill to the see the Niners play.

Since the start of the 2016-17 season I've been to four games.

I was at every home football game our first four seasons. Made it through the gates just once this season.

Such a waste of money. It won't get better until Phil and Judy are gone. I've endured enough suffering to walk away physically for a while. I kept telling myself for years that sticking it out through the lean years would make the taste of glory all that much sweeter, but it just made me a cranky asshole. Call me fair weather if you want, but unconditional loyalty to this athletic department is a dark path and will only lead to your soul being battered and left to die.

The won't hold themselves accountable, so it is up to us their financial reliance on student fees leaves only one weapon for us to use and that is walking away. Fill The Rich, and Halton with silence. It's what Judy & Phil deserve.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:10:34 pm
clt didn’t attend many fb games until 2013...badfan

no b-ball games since lutz was fired

andrew_uofc

• Freshman
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:50:44 pm
Class of 2011, Charlotte native.

As a student, I can count on one hand the number of home basketball games I missed. Was always in line early, was literally sitting in the chair behind Lutz for his last game.

Had a family member with season BBall Tix and went to lots of home games after graduation, not all thanks to work/marriage/kids.

Got in with the Young Alumni offer on season football tickets. We kept those for 3 seasons.

Was very vocal in my support for the school and teams, always wearing Charlotte stuff around the office, buying new apparel every season.

Now, I will not so much as purchase 49er gear. My Norm bobblehead on my desk at work has a miniature paper bag on his head. I may occasionally attend an event if a family member invites me, but no $ are coming from my pocket to do so.

When I chose to attend Charlotte in 2007, I believed that I was getting on board with a school that was about to have a breakthrough. There were murmurings of football, and we had competitive teams in other sports. Basketball was only recently removed from the big dance. Boy was I wrong about the direction things were headed. I had the grades to go almost anywhere, but I wanted to be part of the movement.

I'll come back after Judy and Phil are gone, as long as the new blood is interested in leading us to prominence. In the mean time, I'll be steering my kids to P5 schools so I can latch on and be the crazy guy with the parent t-shirt on in the stands. I agree with the previous post, call me fair weather if you want (if your name is Judy or Phil), but I want a return on my investment, energy, and decision to make Charlotte a permanent part of my life.

If this was a marriage, I would set my Facebook relationship status to "Separated."

Savio

• Senior
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:28:31 am
I grew up watching the Charlotte 49ers on TV in the 80s.  I watched Henry Williams play, Sean Colson and Demarco and that was it, I was a fan, I was hooked.  I watched and followed until I became a student in 1997, didn't miss a ball game during that span.  I was a section 104 regular for most home games.  I got see the the 49ers in the NCAAs 4 out of 5 years.  We were good, we were exciting, our players had "it", swagger.  We knew we could compete with anyone, Pitino, Huggy, Calapari, Crean teams.  We were lucky, we had the experience of a winning culture.  We could watch selection Sunday with anxiety.

My fellowship to the basketball team has waned.  I don't follow as much or watch as much.  We're too predictable so the outcomes are inevitable. 

I have FSLs/Tickets, I was able to trek out to a few games the first 3 seasons but haven't been to any games since.  The times I was in Charlotte visiting, I didn't care to go. 

If Phil/Judy's job is to alienate the alums/fanbase, they're doing a stellar job.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:36:19 am by Savio »

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:08:32 am
Class of 2011, Charlotte native.

As a student, I can count on one hand the number of home basketball games I missed. Was always in line early, was literally sitting in the chair behind Lutz for his last game.

Had a family member with season BBall Tix and went to lots of home games after graduation, not all thanks to work/marriage/kids.

Got in with the Young Alumni offer on season football tickets. We kept those for 3 seasons.

Was very vocal in my support for the school and teams, always wearing Charlotte stuff around the office, buying new apparel every season.

Now, I will not so much as purchase 49er gear. My Norm bobblehead on my desk at work has a miniature paper bag on his head. I may occasionally attend an event if a family member invites me, but no $ are coming from my pocket to do so.

When I chose to attend Charlotte in 2007, I believed that I was getting on board with a school that was about to have a breakthrough. There were murmurings of football, and we had competitive teams in other sports. Basketball was only recently removed from the big dance. Boy was I wrong about the direction things were headed. I had the grades to go almost anywhere, but I wanted to be part of the movement.

I'll come back after Judy and Phil are gone, as long as the new blood is interested in leading us to prominence. In the mean time, I'll be steering my kids to P5 schools so I can latch on and be the crazy guy with the parent t-shirt on in the stands. I agree with the previous post, call me fair weather if you want (if your name is Judy or Phil), but I want a return on my investment, energy, and decision to make Charlotte a permanent part of my life.

If this was a marriage, I would set my Facebook relationship status to "Separated."

clt says you must provide a pic of that bobble head.

Jackrabbit49er

• Freshman
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 07:22:44 am

clt says you must provide a pic of that bobble head.

QFT.

I am seriously considering not giving to the athletics department this year. The gram slam club has changed their options, and I don't know that I want to donate to the general fund. All my money might go to academics this year.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

My college teams:

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:22:26 am
Hasn't wavered. I think Lynch and Shanahan are going to bring us back!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 09:48:00 am
My financial support has not changed, but after four years of going to, and tailgating at, all but a couple of home games, this year we tailgated once, and left at half-time in two games and the end of the 3rd in another.  My support has waned.

If Lambert is not fired I will consider donating my tickets back to the 49er Club and take the value as a donation credit to my account.  This will allow me to keep my FSLs going, but reduce my cash donation by $380.  Paired with no purchase of a parking pass I am saving $450, which I will put towards different Saturday fun.  This will represent a real out of pocket savings to me, and a real net loss to the 49er Club (because they end up with tickets they cannot give away instead of cash), but no reduction in my situation for when times get good again--and I have to believe they will.

From a basketball perspective I have mixed feelings.  I am not happy that we played Methodist as a real game, nor that we struggled to beat Presbyterian, but I really think selling Charlotte to recruits must be a nightmare after the last 10 years.  I can understand why our progress will be incremental unless we hire a coach willing to outright cheat.  I am not quite to the point where I am ready for that--but the NCAA is driving me closer to buying that as the path to success.

Price started with almost zero in year one and did the best he could.  He brought in Davis.  Year two showed no real progress, but clearly we needed an inside presence and we had none.  When you roll the dice on players sometimes you lose, and we did, so it was a wasted season.  However, I think Price sees the gaps.  He went and got Coach Simovic, and that already looks like a great move.  I still have hope that Price will bring us back.  I just need it to be faster than is probably realistic.  I will be there to support the team this year.

Overall, I will still keep writing a check to the 49er Club because I know that the only way to fire a coach is to pay off his contract.  I get the idea that withholding it would send a message, but it also ties the Athletic Departments hands (okay, my check by itself doesn't, but you get the point).  I will send my message in other ways.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 09:55:20 am
We dug our grave when we didn't start football in the mid 90s like USF.  We had CUSA basketball success after that, but we were on borrowed time.

I used to be able to watch Charlotte basketball games on TV regularly, usually through some sort of college basketball ticket.  While we never reached our potential during that time, we were relevant and played most of our games against relevant competition.  Even in the A10, while not on TV as much as during our CUSA days, we were still playing relevant opponents in a multi-bid league.  The current CUSA is a joke, our games, I don't even know when they are or who we are playing.  Our games are never televised like they once were.

Talk about going backwards. 

It is pretty difficult to support the program that has leadership to brought us to this point, leadership that seems to be indifferent to the significant drop off over the past 15 years.

They dug our grave so deep that I don't see any plausible way that our program ever sees the level of relevancy that it had in the late 90s early 2000s.

Football, we could make the right hire, win 7 games and play in some meaningless bowl, which would be a big deal for a young program, but that is nothing compared to what we had in basketball for a period of time.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 10:06:25 am
i havent been to a football or basketball game in years.  I have no interest in watching bad basketball or football.  I certainly have no interest in paying for bad basketball or football. 

For the life of me, I can not understand how anyone can go to these games anymore.  Its tacit support for a terrible product imo. 

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 10:08:11 am
i havent been to a football or basketball game in years.  I have no interest in watching bad basketball or football.  I certainly have no interest in paying for bad basketball or football. 

For the life of me, I can not understand how anyone can go to these games anymore.  Its tacit support for a terrible product imo.

clt says tailgating , my friend.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 10:18:14 am

clt says tailgating , my friend.

so ive heard.  I still dont understand it.  Everyone should be staying a hundred miles away from this dumpster fire.   

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 11:13:16 am
I'm down to the minimum level of financial support needed to keep my seats. This is well over 50% less than what I was before. I'm waning on keeping those seats next year, doesn't seem worth the effort.

In addition, events like the Gold Rush Auction, signing day chalk talk, golf outings, etc. are no longer "must attend" events for us.

I also dropped MBB tickets years ago, wasn't worth the drive to watch bad basketball, even less worth it now that I've got a kid.

I'll gladly support the program even though I can't make games, as long as it seems my money is being used wisely. Right now it's hard to feel any confidence in that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:17:44 am by J Feet »
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 11:25:11 am
i graduated in 2005.  I was a season ticket holder for basketball until about 2008 and went to multiple away games in my lifetime.  I am an original CFI member, the video they show of the march with the goalposts is mine (to which they've never asked if they could use) and I bought 3 FSLs the day they were available.

I was a black lot donor for multiple seasons and by age 30 was somewhere around 49er Club donor 600 or so.

I then moved to Atlanta area but traveled for home games.  Went to Charleston Southern the first year.  Went to Georgia State and MTSU in year 3.

This past year i dropped my donation to $50 (the minimum) and then this year dropped it to $0 and did not renew my FSLs.   I'm not going to get in a salary contest, but I make near double what I did just a few years ago and have decided that the return on even $50 would be better spent if i simply let $1 bills fly out the window driving on 85.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Wingate49erFan

• Sophomore
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:54:54 am
I started going to Niners bball games in middle school (late 90's), Jobey became my favorite player. Diego as well. Went to some of the big upsets over Cincy. I was hooked. Loved everything Niners basketball, didn't care for ACC schools like many of my friends did. Especially none of that baloney where they would try and be Tar Heel fans simultaneously. My fandom continued thru college even though I went somewhere else(Wingate). If they weren't on tv I was listening on the radio.

Didn't miss following a game during the Lutz years. Had season tickets a couple of times when they were 49 bucks during the Major years. I really loved watching Pierria Henry play. 2nd favorite Niner all time. Still followed pretty closely til Major's last season. I was excited about Mark Price coming on board as I was a big fan of him growing up, and figured his time under Coach Clifford had prepared him to be at least a good on court coach, especially defensively, if not a good recruiter. I thought it could be the move that turned everything around. But at this point, we are so uncompetitive against all sorts of opponents, I am rarely checking in more that a score update on my phone. I tried to watch the OK State game, but I gave up by halftime.

I am completely apathetic about Niner sports at this point. I check NinerNation less and less as time goes. There needs to be a new AD with a vision at Charlotte. Judy has run the place into the ground. Metro was right all along.
Got Lutz?

NJNiner12

• Walk On
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 12:03:43 pm
Went to every single basketball game possible while I was in college. Purchased a FSL even leaving 12 hours away from the stadium. Donated double the minimum that was requested from me right out of college.

I plan on cancelling my seat and never donating another dime while Phil and Judy are around.

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 12:26:38 pm
This reads like an AA meeting

We need tokens
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:50 pm
I graduated in 2007 after seeing the last great years of Niner basketball. I was the biggest niner fan of anyone I knew, and probably still am even though my interest has evaporated. Was MBB season ticket holder until Major was fired (coincidentally), had to give it up because I moved. Bought FSLs and black lot passes since football started and was donating at that level the entire time.

I would probably continue to donate and buy season tickets for football but for the life of me I can't get my friends to join me. I haven't been to a single game all season and that has let me see what my friends have seen for years... that life is so much better when you don't worry about the niners.

So from this point forward I plan to not renew my FSLs and drop my contribution to $50. I will instead start donating to academics which I feel I should have been doing anyway. I will only attend games on special occasions. I do not think I will change my mind if Lamebert or Rose resign. I'm that far over it.
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

hateappstate

• Walk On
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:39 pm
Owner of 5 FSL's.  Dropping at the end of the season.  went to 2 games this year.  Family or friends don't want to go.  Can find better things to do with 1500.00

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 12:36:34 pm
...this year dropped it to $0 and did not renew my FSLs...
Did you hear from the Athletic Dept?  I cannot imagine they lose that many FSL holders per year.  I would want to call everyone that was about to drop/lose theirs.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Timo99

• Freshman
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:27 pm
I've had season tickets for two years. I've been to every home game within that time frame. I've seen us beat Elon and UAB, and get humiliated by every other team we've played at home. I'll probably drop my season tickets next year as well, unless Judy retires.

#FIREJUDYROSE

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos