Author Topic: How has your support changed for the 49ers?  (Read 2522 times)

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:50 pm
...this year dropped it to $0 and did not renew my FSLs...
Did you hear from the Athletic Dept?  I cannot imagine they lose that many FSL holders per year.  I would want to call everyone that was about to drop/lose theirs.

Last off season, Judy said that it was a positive that we retained 95% of our FSL holders.  You lost 5%!!!!  If we had 5000 FSL's sold, that means you lost 250 seats.  That's at least $45,000 in season ticket revenue.

rt1923

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 01:58:20 pm
Did you hear from the Athletic Dept?  I cannot imagine they lose that many FSL holders per year.  I would want to call everyone that was about to drop/lose theirs.

Last off season, Judy said that it was a positive that we retained 95% of our FSL holders.  You lost 5%!!!!  If we had 5000 FSL's sold, that means you lost 250 seats.  That's at least $45,000 in season ticket revenue.

Surely this isn't real.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 02:10:41 pm

Surely this isn't real.
it is.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 02:33:00 pm

Surely this isn't real.
it is.

Oh come on guys! Thatís only like $1.50 in student fee increases. Judy just got a $24 increase passed with no problem. Wonít be long before students are financing $1000 a year through student loans to keep Judy Roseís stellar AD afloat.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:44 pm
I was part of the group that started gang green, and was on the front row of the section for every home game, back when we started it around 1999/2000. Our picture still hangs in the pool hall in the student union. Iíve shown it off to my son countless times. I bled Niner green for so many years even though I spent time living on the west coast and eventually Charleston, SC.

I barely had the funds at the time, but bought FSLís the first year and a black lot pass. Iíve made it to fewer and fewer games each season, and none this season.

I havenít decided if Iíll keep my FSL next year. I still have a slight inkling of hope for better days to come. Not under the Phil/Judy regime, obviously, but maybe somehow some day.

How has my support changed? I went from bleeding green, spending money I didnít have at the time, to launching the fire Judy Rose website and petition. Iím sickened by the responses Iíve seen to emails pleading for accountability. Iím befuddled at their disillusionment. Iím heart broken by what should have been a ceiling shattering opportunity for our athletics program as college sports boomed in the last 2 decades.

Whether they get my $400-500 per year is absolutely of non importance to them. I used to give money I couldnít afford. Now I wouldnít think of giving a dime more than is required, even when like most, I have it to give now.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 04:35:25 pm
None. However when I miss games I donít mind it so much and I donít feel like the world is coming to an end.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.Ē
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 05:22:17 pm
I was part of the group that started gang green, and was on the front row of the section for every home game, back when we started it around 1999/2000. Our picture still hangs in the pool hall in the student union. Iíve shown it off to my son countless times. I bled Niner green for so many years even though I spent time living on the west coast and eventually Charleston, SC.

I barely had the funds at the time, but bought FSLís the first year and a black lot pass. Iíve made it to fewer and fewer games each season, and none this season.

I havenít decided if Iíll keep my FSL next year. I still have a slight inkling of hope for better days to come. Not under the Phil/Judy regime, obviously, but maybe somehow some day.

How has my support changed? I went from bleeding green, spending money I didnít have at the time, to launching the fire Judy Rose website and petition. Iím sickened by the responses Iíve seen to emails pleading for accountability. Iím befuddled at their disillusionment. Iím heart broken by what should have been a ceiling shattering opportunity for our athletics program as college sports boomed in the last 2 decades.

Whether they get my $400-500 per year is absolutely of non importance to them. I used to give money I couldnít afford. Now I wouldnít think of giving a dime more than is required, even when like most, I have it to give now.

clt says false. Gang green was started earlier.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 05:24:51 pm
clt is thankful that many folks are still paying attention to our sports. Lots of new faces on the chat board.

A new approach is all that is needed to awaken this sleeping giant.

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 07:54:53 pm
I wasnít going to post but decided to since people were talking about losing fsl holders.

Iíve never donated much. When football was started I had a sh** job and my wife was a teacher. However, the ad pushed the lie of fsl or no tickets so my wife spent all of our savings to buy us two fsls for my birthday. She struggled with that decision because she knew how much it meant to me but also knew it was all the money we had.

Iíve since gone back to school and we are making 3-4 times as much as we were then. Since then weíve only bought fb season tickets. We tailgate but barely go into the games.

5-6 years ago we spent our life savings. Now we just buy season tickets so that fsl purchase (which is now chump change) doesnít go to waste.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 08:09:54 pm

False. The Gang Green group Iím referring to, where students signed up and got season tickets and a t-shirt for $10 and the AD gave us the section over the tunnel where we hung our giant Gang Green banner was in 1999.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:58 pm
He was making a gangrene joke.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:07 am

False. The Gang Green group Iím referring to, where students signed up and got season tickets and a t-shirt for $10 and the AD gave us the section over the tunnel where we hung our giant Gang Green banner was in 1999.

clt says ok. Thought you were speaking of the original organic gang green.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 10:26:41 am
I didn't go to a basketball game last year for the first time since 1985.  Had season tix for years for hoops and now don't even go to a single game.  I live in Asheville and would regularly go to Wed night games and get home around midnight, I see no sense in that now.

I have season tix for football but normally go to tailgate and sometimes don't even go into the games. 

Something has to change and if the people in charge can't see that then we are done.  Not sure why anyone continues to support the trash we put on the fields of play. 

People pay for quality products and will not pay for substandard experiences which is what we have now.  If we aren't going to attempt to be successful and by successful, I mean winning programs, then just get rid of our intercollegiate programs and forget about it.

[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 10:47:13 am
I didn't go to a basketball game last year for the first time since 1985.  Had season tix for years for hoops and now don't even go to a single game.  I live in Asheville and would regularly go to Wed night games and get home around midnight, I see no sense in that now.

I have season tix for football but normally go to tailgate and sometimes don't even go into the games. 

Something has to change and if the people in charge can't see that then we are done.  Not sure why anyone continues to support the trash we put on the fields of play. 

People pay for quality products and will not pay for substandard experiences which is what we have now.  If we aren't going to attempt to be successful and by successful, I mean winning programs, then just get rid of our intercollegiate programs and forget about it.
Someone on wfnz a while back maybe Sorensen said the Panthers don't have to win every year, but sell hope theirs always a chance.  It is a great quote.  You sorta said that too.  The 49ers have zero hope at winning or relevancy and I'm not sure Phil and Judy care.  Just participate!
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 11:37:37 am
Well this is always an interesting road to walk down. 

I was blessed with being in school in the early 90s and getting to see Jarvis and Henry play.  It sucked driving to Tyvola and the Big I to watch games, but the season after graduation was the opening of Halton and man what a ride that was for the next ten years or so.  The chip on our shoulder and going into every single game thinking we either would win or could win.  Every. Game. 

I told myself that as I moved up in my career I would donate more and then we moved to the A10.  I was furious.  We had missed the boat because of lack of football.  I dropped my season tickets and dropped club membership, going to games only on single game tickets here and there.  I wasn't happy with the A10 as a conference, but more than that I wasn't happy that our leadership had failed us and going to the A10 was the result.   I told Judy that if football ever arrived I would return. 

When CFI started I was at the first meeting.  The reality is if CFI and not begun I would just be another estranged alum, reading the score, but not really caring.  CFI and football is what brought me back into the fold.  I picked my basketball tickets back up with 4 seats and once football was made official I bought the ambulance and went GJ level.

Cut to today.  I am down to two basketball tickets because my wife now hates going to game - and she loves college basketball.  My 3-4 years at GJ level were it, I stepped down to 500 to keep black lot and when we moved to blue lot I went down to 250.  I have sat through a complete football game exactly once this season.  I missed my first game this year, all though that was due to a cold.  The odd thing was I didn't feel really upset at missing it.

Here is my future reality.  I REFUSE to let Judy and Phil run me off from MY school at this point.  I try to keep dialogue open.  I had a meeting with Hummer and told him I come to games and when I see you guys do good things I will say so, but when you do dumb and stupid things I will say that too.  Then I told him it isn't my fault that most of what happens these days are stupid things.

I will continue at 250 for the Blue Lot and will keep my 3 FSLs and season tickets in football.  My daughter loves going to basketball games so I will more than likely keep my 2 basketball tickets as long as it's something that she and I enjoy doing together, more so than the desire to see us play.

I am committed through to Judy's departure, whenever that is.  If the replacement comes from inhouse that will be my break point.  I will not be able to continue support with that.  For now though I prefer to try and change things from the inside.  Your complaints and issues carry more weight when you are at least a upset supporter vs. a non-supporter.  I will choose to vent my frustrations by not attending games, leaving games early, public lashing and private communications.

I still believe we have an amazing opportunity in front of us.  Conference alignment will NEVER be over.  There will always be shifts back and forth.  The entire funding model I think is on the verge of collapse.  I know some think there is just a massive separation between G5 and P5 but that is only because of TV money and that is going to start drying up.  There are maybe 10-15 schools in the nation that can carry their own budget, Texas, ND, Bama, etc.  The rest of the schools aren't that far from us if they had to carry their own weight.  If and its a really big IF we make the rights moves post Judy and Phil we could see a huge change for us.  I want to stick around and see what that looks like.  If it doesn't come to fruition then that is when I call it quits.

I told Hummer when I stop talking that is when he needs to worry.  I also told him we have thousands of alumni who don't talk - those people are the issue, not the few who do talk. 

The next 2-5 years I think will determine the next 15-20 for us.  I am on board for the 2-5, can't commit to more than that.
Mahna Mahna

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 12:18:37 pm

I was blessed with being in school in the early 90s and getting to see Jarvis and Henry play.  It sucked driving to Tyvola and the Big I to watch games, but the season after graduation was the opening of Halton and man what a ride that was for the next ten years or so.  The chip on our shoulder and going into every single game thinking we either would win or could win.  Every. Game. 

I told myself that as I moved up in my career I would donate more and then we moved to the A10.  I was furious.  We had missed the boat because of lack of football.  I dropped my season tickets and dropped club membership, going to games only on single game tickets here and there.  I wasn't happy with the A10 as a conference, but more than that I wasn't happy that our leadership had failed us and going to the A10 was the result.   I told Judy that if football ever arrived I would return. 

When CFI started I was at the first meeting.  The reality is if CFI and not begun I would just be another estranged alum, reading the score, but not really caring.  CFI and football is what brought me back into the fold.  I picked my basketball tickets back up with 4 seats and once football was made official I bought the ambulance and went GJ level.

Cut to today.  I am down to two basketball tickets because my wife now hates going to game - and she loves college basketball.  My 3-4 years at GJ level were it, I stepped down to 500 to keep black lot and when we moved to blue lot I went down to 250.  I have sat through a complete football game exactly once this season.  I missed my first game this year, all though that was due to a cold.  The odd thing was I didn't feel really upset at missing it.

Here is my future reality.  I REFUSE to let Judy and Phil run me off from MY school at this point.  I try to keep dialogue open.  I had a meeting with Hummer and told him I come to games and when I see you guys do good things I will say so, but when you do dumb and stupid things I will say that too.  Then I told him it isn't my fault that most of what happens these days are stupid things.

I will continue at 250 for the Blue Lot and will keep my 3 FSLs and season tickets in football.  My daughter loves going to basketball games so I will more than likely keep my 2 basketball tickets as long as it's something that she and I enjoy doing together, more so than the desire to see us play.

I am committed through to Judy's departure, whenever that is.  If the replacement comes from inhouse that will be my break point.  I will not be able to continue support with that.  For now though I prefer to try and change things from the inside.  Your complaints and issues carry more weight when you are at least a upset supporter vs. a non-supporter.  I will choose to vent my frustrations by not attending games, leaving games early, public lashing and private communications.

I still believe we have an amazing opportunity in front of us.  Conference alignment will NEVER be over.  There will always be shifts back and forth.  The entire funding model I think is on the verge of collapse.  I know some think there is just a massive separation between G5 and P5 but that is only because of TV money and that is going to start drying up.  There are maybe 10-15 schools in the nation that can carry their own budget, Texas, ND, Bama, etc.  The rest of the schools aren't that far from us if they had to carry their own weight.  If and its a really big IF we make the rights moves post Judy and Phil we could see a huge change for us.  I want to stick around and see what that looks like.  If it doesn't come to fruition then that is when I call it quits.

I told Hummer when I stop talking that is when he needs to worry.  I also told him we have thousands of alumni who don't talk - those people are the issue, not the few who do talk. 

The next 2-5 years I think will determine the next 15-20 for us.  I am on board for the 2-5, can't commit to more than that.

Very well put.  This describes me perfectly.  I do fear that the next hire will be internal but I will wait and see what happens. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 01:34:56 pm

Very well put.  This describes me perfectly.  I do fear that the next hire will be internal but I will wait and see what happens.

FWIW I was told a few years ago no one in house wanted the job. 
Mahna Mahna

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 04:58:24 pm
As a student since the inception of the football team I've been extremely loyal missing very few games. This season I've been to three. Basketball is increasingly hard to watch as well. Being a competitive person and a Niners fan don't go together. Maybe someday something will change but until that happens I don't know that I can pledge that much time or money to supporting Charlotte athletics.
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 08:00:43 pm
If either Judy or Lambert are here next year I am done.  I am a gold tier FSL holder and have been since the beginning. 

#FireJudyRose

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 08:37:54 pm
Been a fan since the days of Foster, Rose, and Maxwell.  When we had Wisselball, the administration quickly realized we had the wrong coach and went out and hired Jeff Mullins.

In our current environment, the administration just makes excuses when our teams continuously lose.

We filled up the old coliseum in 1976 in a game against Centenary, which meant we had almost twice as many fans at the game than we did number of students.

In 1977, our game against Wake Forest in the Greensboro Coliseum was a sellout and half the fans there were wearing green.

Now, with 30,000 students and 120,000 alums, we can barely get 2,000 fans for a home basketball game and we have the smallest football stadium in FBS. 

Sadly, our AD and chancellor do not give a damn about having fans show up, winning, increasing the fan base, etc.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 08:38:46 pm
I used to get so worked up over a basketball game that it drove me nuts when we lost.  I had every game marked on a calendar and watched every match that was watchable.   Heck, I even drove down to Charlotte multiple times to watch a game.  My last home basketball game was some homecoming game where we lost to Xavier.  I thought football would get me back up to it so I bought season tickets that first season and came down for the first game.  I haven't been back to a football game since.  These days if not for this board I would have no idea when our basketball games occur.  Part of that is laziness on my part, but it's mostly due to the basketball team being irrelevant and pretty much knowing each game will be a loss.  The same is now true with football.  Sucks, but nothing will change until the AD is gone.  I wanted to get my son into Niner sports but EVERY GAME he has seen we have lost.  Something has to change sometime, doesn't it?  I'll forever bleed Niner green, but I'm not sure I have that much blood left these days to bleed. 

DrJ708

• Walk On
Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 08:59:17 pm
I used to get so worked up over a basketball game that it drove me nuts when we lost.  I had every game marked on a calendar and watched every match that was watchable.   Heck, I even drove down to Charlotte multiple times to watch a game.  My last home basketball game was some homecoming game where we lost to Xavier.  I thought football would get me back up to it so I bought season tickets that first season and came down for the first game.  I haven't been back to a football game since.  These days if not for this board I would have no idea when our basketball games occur.  Part of that is laziness on my part, but it's mostly due to the basketball team being irrelevant and pretty much knowing each game will be a loss.  The same is now true with football.  Sucks, but nothing will change until the AD is gone.  I wanted to get my son into Niner sports but EVERY GAME he has seen we have lost.  Something has to change sometime, doesn't it?  I'll forever bleed Niner green, but I'm not sure I have that much blood left these days to bleed.

What he said ^^^^^^

49erAlumnus

• Senior
Reply #47 on: November 25, 2017, 08:55:25 pm
My turn for therapy:

I'm with VA. A basketball loss used to have me mad for a week. Frankly, I cared too much. I bought season basketball tickets as a freshman because I couldn't camp out for seats due to my work schedule. I held on to season tickets until two years ago. During the Lutz era, you could count the games I missed on one hand and one of those was due to being in the hospital. As it stands now, last night was my first trip to Halton in two years. I thought being back in the building would make me miss being there on a regular basis. It did not. My C-USA subscription gets me what I need during basketball season.

I still support the AD financially, although I'm sure that Phil would consider it a modest amount. (4 FSLs, 5 baseball season tickets, GSC membership) What has completely fallen off is my emotional investment. Like NWA, I'm too stubborn to let the current administration separate me from my school. What gets to me is seeing the amount of people that have fallen by the wayside. I'm talking about passionate 49ers through and through. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them. Far from it. But the fact still remains that one of our all-time most dedicated fans was in Halton last night as the guest of the visiting team. Why? Because they treat him like he matters, pure and simple.

I saw NinerAl's post in another thread about his loss of fire for the Niners. Man, if there are people that have more passion for the 49ers than that guy, there aren't many. There aren't many that can say they've invested as much in the Niners as he has. We are doing our best to lose him and I have serious doubts as to whether those in charge care.

Since I know that the AD reads all of this stuff religiously, let me tell you my issue. All of these people, the ones that have gone away and those who are fading, they've been sort of like family. Now, no one wants to show up to the family functions. The signs that things aren't going well are all around you. Stop blaming them and take a look at what is really happening here.

Lastly, I want to address a select group of people. I want to offer a few words to those alumni that have the ear of the administration. Do something. It is time to decide what is more important: the program, or your standing as an insider. Not one of you would tolerate this in your professional lives. You're successful people and you know what it takes to succeed in the real world. Bring that sensibility into the 49er Club functions, the hospitality suite, and the board meetings. Stop concerning yourself with status and stake your claim as 49ers. You've been left an important legacy. Own it.

What am I going to do? I'm not going anywhere. Like I said, I'm too stubborn. I think there are likely those that would be content to see me go, but they aren't getting off that easy. This is my home. All of the untapped potential that we have discussed is still waiting to be mined. There has to be a way forward.

LzeroKI

• Walk On
Reply #48 on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:29 pm
I still support the AD financially, although I'm sure that Phil would consider it a modest amount. (4 FSLs, 5 baseball season tickets, GSC membership) What has completely fallen off is my emotional investment. Like NWA, I'm too stubborn to let the current administration separate me from my school. What gets to me is seeing the amount of people that have fallen by the wayside. I'm talking about passionate 49ers through and through. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them. Far from it. But the fact still remains that one of our all-time most dedicated fans was in Halton last night as the guest of the visiting team. Why? Because they treat him like he matters, pure and simple.

I saw NinerAl's post in another thread about his loss of fire for the Niners. Man, if there are people that have more passion for the 49ers than that guy, there aren't many. There aren't many that can say they've invested as much in the Niners as he has. We are doing our best to lose him and I have serious doubts as to whether those in charge care.

Please forgive my ignorance, but who are we talking about here?

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #49 on: November 25, 2017, 09:26:30 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but who are we talking about here?

clt says we need to go after the HPU chancellor.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos