Author Topic: Charlotte 49er Football Staff changes  (Read 6949 times)

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 07:03:09 am
I think the same as the last poster that this gives Judy time to announce her retirement and leave on "her terms."  The new AD will need be in charge of the new coaching hire next year.  I know it is another year with Lambert, but it does push up the schedule potentially for Judy to leave.  We know she has at most 3 years till mandatory retirement age and most AD's want their football coach.  They can live with the basketball coach, but football is usually a pet peeve that want to hire.

It sucks that we are going to suffer through another year next year, but maybe we will make the changes needed for the future.  If not, then she has to retire at some point.

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:41 am
This is them telling Lambert to make changes on the staff.  It probably means this year is it if there's not major improvements.

Now I am surprised seeing people defend that any of the coaches.  I've read how defensive coordinator is getting the shaft.  Our defense gave up over 400 yards in 8 out of 12 games, with 3 over 500 yards giving up an average of over 450 yards per game with over 200 yards a game rushing.    Teams completed almost 70% of their passes, 8 sacks on the season. 2 interceptions, probably the most basic conservative defensive scheme I've ever seen where we play defensive backs 8-10 yards off and the offenses have ran tge same little WR screens since he's been there. 

There's not a coach on the staff except maybe RB coach that deserves to have kept their job.  The punter and the RB were the only positions where we didn't downgrade greatly this season.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:59 am
This is them telling Lambert to make changes on the staff.  It probably means this year is it if there's not major improvements.

Now I am surprised seeing people defend that any of the coaches.  I've read how defensive coordinator is getting the shaft.  Our defense gave up over 400 yards in 8 out of 12 games, with 3 over 500 yards giving up an average of over 450 yards per game with over 200 yards a game rushing.    Teams completed almost 70% of their passes, 8 sacks on the season. 2 interceptions, probably the most basic conservative defensive scheme I've ever seen where we play defensive backs 8-10 yards off and the offenses have ran tge same little WR screens since he's been there. 

There's not a coach on the staff except maybe RB coach that deserves to have kept their job.  The punter and the RB were the only positions where we didn't downgrade greatly this season.

When looking at the defense keep in mind that offense rarely sustained drives. The defense was far from great but given the circumstances, I find it hard to blame their play.

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:49 am
So the offense is to blame when the defense allowed 70% pass completion %.  The defense was on the field more and only had 8 sacks in 12 games.  The defense only had 2 interceptions out of 370 pass attempts. The defense gave up almost 5 yards per carry against the rush.

Does the offense cause some of this yes but let's not kid ourselves that the defense wasn't bad. 

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 09:32:33 am
So the offense is to blame when the defense allowed 70% pass completion %.  The defense was on the field more and only had 8 sacks in 12 games.  The defense only had 2 interceptions out of 370 pass attempts. The defense gave up almost 5 yards per carry against the rush.

Does the offense cause some of this yes but let's not kid ourselves that the defense wasn't bad.

Nobody is saying the defense was good.  Just much more difficult to evaluate, and certainly better than the offense.  Comparing our stats to other defenses is not apples to apples because of the offense we run, and we invite that on ourselves.  In fact that's how we marketed the program to a great many kids. 

Your point validates this.  We run a gimmick offense that taxes the defense.  I'm not trying to be condescending but that's football 101.  If you go three and out every drive your defense is going to be exhausted, and thus, less productive.  Even if you score too quickly (ex: Oregon) this taxes your defense.
#bus1

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 09:47:52 am

Nobody is saying the defense was good.  Just much more difficult to evaluate, and certainly better than the offense.  Comparing our stats to other defenses is not apples to apples because of the offense we run, and we invite that on ourselves.  In fact that's how we marketed the program to a great many kids. 

Your point validates this.  We run a gimmick offense that taxes the defense.  I'm not trying to be condescending but that's football 101.  If you go three and out every drive your defense is going to be exhausted, and thus, less productive.  Even if you score too quickly (ex: Oregon) this taxes your defense.

If this was the first year the defense was bad under him then yes I'd agree. 2017 454.4 yards per game 2016 453.3 yards per game.  2015 422 yards per game.   This year offenses pulled back because we weren't competetive  or probably would of pushed 500 yards per game.  He's had 3 seasons and not once have we had a defense that offenses didn't move up and down the field. 

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #56 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:19 am
You don't jump to FBS and say "slow your roll" this will take time.  You make the jump and then commit to being successful.  Not running it like a HS FB program.  Rose and DuBois opened up a can of worms and it's biting them in the a$$!  The days of excuses are over!

Rose must go!

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #57 on: November 28, 2017, 11:37:18 am
http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/11/27/football-lambert-retained-announces-changes-to-staff.aspx

DuBois "it is important to remember, we took the quickest possible path to FBS."  How many years do we have to continue to hear that??

Rose, "we have to win games."  Hmmm, how many wins do we need?  2? 3?  Is that a success?  Lambert won one game this year, but he should be retained.

What a joke.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #58 on: November 28, 2017, 11:57:50 am
http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/11/27/football-lambert-retained-announces-changes-to-staff.aspx

DuBois "it is important to remember, we took the quickest possible path to FBS."  How many years do we have to continue to hear that??

Rose, "we have to win games."  Hmmm, how many wins do we need?  2? 3?  Is that a success?  Lambert won one game this year, but he should be retained.

What a joke.

USF, FAU, FIU, South AL, UTSA, ODU, and GA ST all moved up in around the same timeframe as Charlotte Iím tried of hearing that lame excuse. Going 1-11 is never okay!

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #59 on: November 28, 2017, 02:16:48 pm
If we are going to start over, should start over top to bottom.  We need new energy and thinking.  Charlotte is leaving $M's on the table with it's poor product.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #60 on: November 28, 2017, 02:20:43 pm
If we are going to start over, should start over top to bottom.  We need new energy and thinking.  Charlotte is leaving $M's on the table with it's poor product.

I agree. The whole program needs a reset. Completely new identity, coaches, uniforms, slogans, players, everything. Need to make things feel brand new again. 

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #61 on: November 28, 2017, 02:41:53 pm

I agree. The whole program needs a reset. Completely new identity, coaches, uniforms, slogans, players, everything. Need to make things feel brand new again.

If there was ever a school that needs and entire athletics branding overhaul, we'd be it. Going back to actual Niner green and gold as the primary colors would help.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #62 on: November 28, 2017, 03:28:55 pm

Reset button I think

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #63 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:01 pm

What a joke.

USF, FAU, FIU, South AL, UTSA, ODU, and GA ST all moved up in around the same timeframe as Charlotte Iím tried of hearing that lame excuse. Going 1-11 is never okay!

I want Lambert and Rose gone as much as anyone, but the bolded part just isn't true (except for UTSA).  All the others had many more years of FCS than we did.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #64 on: November 28, 2017, 03:45:03 pm

If there was ever a school that needs and entire athletics branding overhaul, we'd be it. Going back to actual Niner green and gold as the primary colors would help.

Official school primary colors are (and always have been) green and white.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #65 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:17 pm
They should have replaced the whole staff as others have said, because what quality of OC and DC will we get when the candidates know that they are probably lame ducks also.  Otherwise, Rose has probably promised Lambert that he and his staff will keep their jobs if they just show moderate improvement next year, because then how will they be able to sell those positions to potential hires.

Making wholesale staff changes NEVER works.  I can't think of any examples where it does.  This is like putting one of those cheap generic band aids on a gaping wound.  In the meantime we lose ground for another year, which we can't afford to do.

clt12thman

• Walk On
Reply #66 on: November 28, 2017, 03:52:04 pm

Official school primary colors are (and always have been) green and white.

I'm just saying a return or a switch to the green and athletic gold look would benefit the overall look, you could bring back a modernization of the 1977 Final Four Uniforms for basketball, adopt something similar to Baylor or Green Bay for football, and a return to something similar to the 1998 Baseball uniforms, just to throw out a few potential changes.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #67 on: November 28, 2017, 04:21:56 pm
I'm just saying a return or a switch to the green and athletic gold look would benefit the overall look, you could bring back a modernization of the 1977 Final Four Uniforms for basketball, adopt something similar to Baylor or Green Bay for football, and a return to something similar to the 1998 Baseball uniforms, just to throw out a few potential changes.

In basketball....I loved the layout/design of Rodney White's year...as far as design, it's my all-time fav.

BUT...my favorite looking uniform is still the vegas gold (not yellow) uni's of the early 90's....Henry's team.
Maybe it's just nostalgia. Those uniforms are my favorite two...and happen to be the 2 best teams in my time as a Niner or Niner fan.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #68 on: November 28, 2017, 05:13:41 pm

In basketball....I loved the layout/design of Rodney White's year...as far as design, it's my all-time fav.

BUT...my favorite looking uniform is still the vegas gold (not yellow) uni's of the early 90's....Henry's team.
Maybe it's just nostalgia. Those uniforms are my favorite two...and happen to be the 2 best teams in my time as a Niner or Niner fan.

The Rodney White uniform was made by Harv-Al, primarily a hockey uniform company.  I really liked them too, and I wore the warm-up jacket from those years to our last game.  Old school.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Timo99

• Freshman
Reply #69 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:40 pm

What a joke.

I want Lambert and Rose gone as much as anyone, but the bolded part just isn't true (except for UTSA).  All the others had many more years of FCS than we did.

I think we'd probably be a dumpster fire in FCS too with the same staff.
#FIREJUDYROSE

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #70 on: November 28, 2017, 05:51:22 pm

What a joke.

At most they had three more years as FCS than us. Lambert would still suck if he had 20 years at FCS.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #71 on: November 28, 2017, 06:25:53 pm

The Rodney White uniform was made by Harv-Al, primarily a hockey uniform company.  I really liked them too, and I wore the warm-up jacket from those years to our last game.  Old school.

clt says people forget that Malik el tamirís uncle Owns Harv al

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #72 on: November 28, 2017, 06:29:27 pm

clt says people forget that Malik el tamirís uncle Owns Harv al

Oh snap! Is this our version of Adidas/Petino?

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #73 on: November 29, 2017, 02:38:10 pm

I had to re-read this, due to it's absurdity.  When you need to replace the OC and DC in the same year, shouldn't that be a red flag for the HC?  Like maybe he's the problem.  On top of that, will Lambert bring in people with similar ideas/schemes to his own?  I would think so.  So what does that mean?  More of the same.  So how does that fix the problem?  Brings to mind the idea of insanity.  Doing the same thing but expecting different results.

Maybe Lambert will bring in some people with different ideas/schemes, etc.  Who could he possibly get?  If we bomb again next season, Rose, assuming she is still here, will clean house.  I hope.  Then where does that leave the staff?  No person would want to be apart of that.  Knowing it's essentially a one year gig.  WTF are we doing?

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 03:10:45 pm

I had to re-read this, due to it's absurdity.  When you need to replace the OC and DC in the same year, shouldn't that be a red flag for the HC?  Like maybe he's the problem.  On top of that, will Lambert bring in people with similar ideas/schemes to his own?  I would think so.  So what does that mean?  More of the same.  So how does that fix the problem?  Brings to mind the idea of insanity.  Doing the same thing but expecting different results.

Maybe Lambert will bring in some people with different ideas/schemes, etc.  Who could he possibly get?  If we bomb again next season, Rose, assuming she is still here, will clean house.  I hope.  Then where does that leave the staff?  No person would want to be apart of that.  Knowing it's essentially a one year gig.  WTF are we doing?

One answer...saving money.

Specifically..the money Judy tied up in his extension.  She did it with Lutz...and firing him cost us to waste money paying 2 coaches for several years....the same with Major.  Basically, Judy's incompetence has bitten us twice...and the third time...they simply refuse to piss away the money.  So, now...we are firing everyone....except the guy with the extension.  We ride out the extension and then fire him.  To save money.  From yet ANOTHER incompetent extension by our idiot AD.

So, we have to ride out another year of a lame duck football coach because we don't want to lose money a THIRD time on a horrible Judy Rose coach extension.

At this point...I'm not sure what her WORST trait has been:
The destruction of a once proud Top 30 bball program
The bungling of Football/conference realignment
The mismanagement of money resulting from dumb extensions to bad coaches...on 3 separate occasions no less

One of those is enough to get an AD fired...she has 3....and she's still rolling on!!!!

Unreal.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:12:42 pm by TRLeader »
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos