Author Topic: I'm declaring the Mark Price experiment...  (Read 3569 times)

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 08:14:49 am
I agree with the overall conclusion that it looks like Price is not cut out for this.

But with the situation within our AD I do not want him to be fired this year. Judy absolutely cannot be allowed to manager another HC search. I also like the move that Price made in the offseason in getting a new assistant who can recruit overseas. It probably won't make enough of a difference, but it was the right move, and it was a move that several us on the board campaigned for last year.

Our situation and recent history is so terrible I am beginning to seriously worry that unless we get a future HoF coach there is no way we can pull ourselves out of this in the next few years. Our school looks like a joke. I am beginning to long for the Alan Major years and the success of the Great Alaska shoot out. Someone please take me away. I need to be locked up in the asylum or worse.

keeper768

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 08:36:17 am

I agree with the overall conclusion that it looks like Price is not cut out for this.

But with the situation within our AD I do not want him to be fired this year. Judy absolutely cannot be allowed to manager another HC search. I also like the move that Price made in the offseason in getting a new assistant who can recruit overseas. It probably won't make enough of a difference, but it was the right move, and it was a move that several us on the board campaigned for last year.

Our situation and recent history is so terrible I am beginning to seriously worry that unless we get a future HoF coach there is no way we can pull ourselves out of this in the next few years. Our school looks like a joke. I am beginning to long for the Alan Major years and the success of the Great Alaska shoot out. Someone please take me away. I need to be locked up in the asylum or worse.

To the pit of misery

rt1923

• Walk On
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 08:50:00 am
Why did Mark Price take this job?  Didn't need the money.  Already had comfy NBA gig.  No ties to the school.  No recruiting experience (or desire to recruit full-time).  Kids almost fully grown and in college, except the youngest. 

Now he comes to work for Judy every day and coaches a bunch of kids who are just going through the motions in a half empty arena. 

It appears, unsurprisingly, that his heart is not in it, and it shows in the play of our team.

brinsone

• Walk On
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 09:00:04 am
Why did Mark Price take this job?  Didn't need the money.  Already had comfy NBA gig.  No ties to the school.  No recruiting experience (or desire to recruit full-time).  Kids almost fully grown and in college, except the youngest. 

Now he comes to work for Judy every day and coaches a bunch of kids who are just going through the motions in a half empty arena. 

It appears, unsurprisingly, that his heart is not in it, and it shows in the play of our team.

His body language in walking off the court last night was interesting.  Most coaches will shake hands, and walk swiftly back to the locker room.  His pace was slow and unhurried last night.  Maybe reading too much into this....

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 09:28:54 am
I think we fired a guy who was a decent coach for a coach that was a bad coach then fired him for a former basketball player who doesn't know how to coach. 

This team was supposed to be turning the corner.  A full roster and size.  We just aren't any good.

Hindsight being 20/20...wish we would have never fired the decent coach.

Would take him back in a millisecond right now and sign him to a lifetime contract.

People are still crying about Bobby ? He choked away a Big Dance opportunity. 19 wins or not, he wasn't the right fit anymore. We hadn't made the NCAA tournament in years. Change was needed then, as it is most definitely needed now
And we executed BADLY on that change by hiring the fourth assistant from Ohio State.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 09:34:03 am
I think we fired a guy who was a decent coach for a coach that was a bad coach then fired him for a former basketball player who doesn't know how to coach. 

This team was supposed to be turning the corner.  A full roster and size.  We just aren't any good.

Hindsight being 20/20...wish we would have never fired the decent coach.

Would take him back in a millisecond right now and sign him to a lifetime contract.

People are still crying about Bobby ? He choked away a Big Dance opportunity. 19 wins or not, he wasn't the right fit anymore. We hadn't made the NCAA tournament in years. Change was needed then, as it is most definitely needed now
And we executed BADLY on that change by hiring the fourth assistant from Ohio State.

And then made things worse when we gave him an extension.  We did not give Wissel an extension and we should not have given Major an extension. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:01 am

I dont think thats the case.  He was angry last night.  He broke his clip board in frustration.  He followed that up by putting Austin A back into the game after multiple blown assignments and nothing on O. 

I think he just does not know what to do. 

Mahna Mahna

keeper768

• Walk On
Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:37 am
Wonder what McKillop would do with our talent

jdub49er

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:29 am
I'm becoming pessimistic about Price too, but it's clear things get worse with each fire/hire.  Let's let this play out through the end of next season and not even think about firing him.  Yes, it could actually get worse.

Game- WTH has happened to Austin A.?  Was JD still feeling the effects of the ankle sprain?  I hope that was it.  I would've given all of Austin's minutes to Milos.
I miss the energy of Price's 1st team.  I wish we wouldn't have lost Curran Scott.  His toughness was contagious.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 10:16:47 am
I'm becoming pessimistic about Price too, but it's clear things get worse with each fire/hire.  Let's let this play out through the end of next season and not even think about firing him.  Yes, it could actually get worse.

Former Niner coaches have been directly negatively affected by Judy and Phil interfering with their coaching. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Jackrabbit49er

• Freshman
Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:42 am
My standard for basketball coaches is win improvement each year with a minimum of .500 season in year 3. If Price doesn't have a winning season this year, he really should be replaced. However, having Rose replace him will probably be worse than keeping him.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

My college teams:

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:27 am
What happened to the ball movement we saw at times last season? Very few drives to the basket against a Davidson team we can probably drive against.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 10:33:37 am
Wonder what McKillop would do with our talent
From what is reported from last night, probably hit a few of them in the head.

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 02:07:33 pm
 Not much to add that hasnít already been touched on.  Hard nose defense is everything to successful basketball.  This team doesnít get it and Iím mainly talking about our veteran players.  Do they think they have seniority rights to be on the court ? I say give all their  minutes to those who want to play defense. As my old high school coach Preached ďyou donít have to be athletically skilledto play defenseĒ . As Price said itís a toughness we donít have. Well  if I were him Iíd be finding out  whoís potentially tough and whoís not. I donít care if they can shoot . What I wouldnít give for some Basden like players to show up( that player could play defense).

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:35 pm
Question? Did any of our coaches come from defense minded programs?

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 02:41:34 pm
Hard nose defense is everything to successful basketball.  ... I donít care if they can shoot .

Let's not overcorrect things...

Major's teams could defend but couldn't score. Price's teams can score but not defend. A good coach will figure out how to get the best out of his team on both sides of the floor.

*edit*

We are currently 186 in adjusted offense/270 adjD. Last year we were 194/269, year before that we were 159/250. Maybe it would have been more accurate to say said Price's teams can't score AND are completely incompetent on defense.

*double edit*

I just want to use this opportunity as an I told you so to everyone who thought we'd jump 150 rpi spots in one year. Last year we were 237, year before 193, this year we are sitting at 230. Yes, I get it is early, but I don't see this team as any different from Mark Price's previous 2 teams. Yeah, there are some pieces that are different from year to year, but each team has played a remarkably similar style with remarkably similar results. It's incredibly consistent.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:52:32 pm by Ben H »

dlb49er

• Walk On
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:23 pm
I truly think Mark will be fine.  Good coach.  Love his new assistant and believe he will get the most out of this team.  Sad all the bashing going on with ninernation.net.  I have been supporting since 1985.  It is a roughpatch for sure.  Football is still a toddler and b-ball was decimated by Major and the transfers out when he left.   Firing coaches every 5-6 years is a no win proposition.   

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:14 pm
I truly think Mark will be fine.  Good coach.  Love his new assistant and believe he will get the most out of this team.  Sad all the bashing going on with ninernation.net.  I have been supporting since 1985.  It is a roughpatch for sure.  Football is still a toddler and b-ball was decimated by Major and the transfers out when he left.  Firing coaches every 5-6 years is a no win proposition.

Firing the AD that is responsible for all of the bad hires, mismanaged extensions, decimating a once proud top 30 bball program, missing out on the first conference shift due to not wanting to add football, etc....is a yes-win proposition and should have been done years ago. That's what we want.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:32 pm
I truly think Mark will be fine.  Good coach.  Love his new assistant and believe he will get the most out of this team.  Sad all the bashing going on with ninernation.net.  I have been supporting since 1985.  It is a roughpatch for sure.  Football is still a toddler and b-ball was decimated by Major and the transfers out when he left.   Firing coaches every 5-6 years is a no win proposition.
you don't actually watch the games do You?

Hiring bad coaches every 5-6 years is a no win proposition. Keeping bad coaches is a no win proposition.

I'm not calling for marks head yet, but we have the same deficiencies we had in year 1. We will neve4 be hood with price if he can't coach defense into our players. 3 years in, major was the better coach, and he was a bad coach. Maybe price makes a leap, but things aren't looking good.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:46 pm

So by extension, having more empty seats in Halton and JRS is fine? Just a "rough patch"?

I get what you are saying about not changing coaches every year, but 17 and 41 is unacceptable on any level. Fans are voting with their asses, by not showing up; and with the abhorant tone-deafness from our AD and Administration, they'll not be renewing their season tickets next year either.

I previously wasn't considering giving up my FSLs, but that arrogant and condescending interview Judy just gave has pushed me fully into the undecided category. If this article was to rally the fans back to her side, it failed horribly. If it was to tell us to go break rocks, well I just might do that instead of paying for season tickets next year.

dlb49er

• Walk On
Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:27 pm
I have had season tickets to b-ball forever and football some inception.  I go to almost every game.  The age old question is who do you bring in to replace who you fire?  So you fire Lambert, then who?  Will they be better?  How many years do you give them? 
Listen I am not a fan of losing either.  Ticks me off.  I am a fan of Lambert.  If we stink this bad next year then we can talk.  At least he is not holding pat.  Demoted his OC mid year due to poor results and has now fired coaches who, in his mind, were not getting it done.  That shows me he is holding his staff accountable and with it himself. 
Say what you will about Judy, and everyone on here has, but I believe she has done everything possible to get us in the right conference.  Realignment is coming and we are and will be well positioned thanks to her.  Just one Niner fans opinion. I am sure I will get blasted for those thoughts. 

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 09:37:05 pm
.     Good post as it relates to Price, but not Lambert.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:39:11 pm by 919R »

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:05 pm
I have had season tickets to b-ball forever and football some inception.  I go to almost every game.  The age old question is who do you bring in to replace who you fire?  So you fire Lambert, then who?  Will they be better?  How many years do you give them? 
Listen I am not a fan of losing either.  Ticks me off.  I am a fan of Lambert.  If we stink this bad next year then we can talk.  At least he is not holding pat.  Demoted his OC mid year due to poor results and has now fired coaches who, in his mind, were not getting it done.  That shows me he is holding his staff accountable and with it himself. 
Say what you will about Judy, and everyone on here has, but I believe she has done everything possible to get us in the right conference.  Realignment is coming and we are and will be well positioned thanks to her.  Just one Niner fans opinion. I am sure I will get blasted for those thoughts.

Everyone has been calling for a new OC for the past 3+ seasons. Lambert only fired his coordinators as a last ditch effort to save his own job. Thats not being proactive, thats being reactive.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 09:47:33 pm
Lambert only fired his coordinators as a last ditch effort to save his own job. Thats not being proactive, thats being reactive.

D.O.B.A.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 09:52:24 pm
.     Good post as it relates to Price, but not Lambert.

Does Price have a head coaching history of success I do not know about that would warrant "positivity" about what he "possibly could do" besides the product he has been showing us for 2+ years? The team looks BAD. Whose fault is that? He should be on the hot seat. Not wanting to change coaches a lot is a terrible reason to keep a coach that doesn't prove by results that he can have success.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:54:39 pm by cibik02 »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos