Author Topic: I'm declaring the Mark Price experiment...  (Read 3503 times)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 10:18:44 pm
It's called blind hope cibik. Price has shown nothing as a coach. Great player, doesn't mean crap when it comes to coaching.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:26 pm
I have had season tickets to b-ball forever and football some inception.  I go to almost every game.  The age old question is who do you bring in to replace who you fire?  So you fire Lambert, then who?  Will they be better?  How many years do you give them? 
Listen I am not a fan of losing either.  Ticks me off.  I am a fan of Lambert.  If we stink this bad next year then we can talk.  At least he is not holding pat.  Demoted his OC mid year due to poor results and has now fired coaches who, in his mind, were not getting it done.  That shows me he is holding his staff accountable and with it himself. 
Say what you will about Judy, and everyone on here has, but I believe she has done everything possible to get us in the right conference.  Realignment is coming and we are and will be well positioned thanks to her.  Just one Niner fans opinion. I am sure I will get blasted for those thoughts.
how on earth are we well positioned for realignment in your eyes? Our two revenue programs are among the worst in collegiate athletics. Our football stadium is the smallest in fbs. Our attendance, due to poor performance (a symptom of piss poor hires by judy), is laughable.

At this poibt, it is clear tv markets don't matter for tv revenue.  We are an undesirable product at the moment and there is nothing going in the right direction to make me think a change is just over the hill.

Both or our revenue sports have struggled mightily with recruiting. Price may hit a home run with Ivo bringing in talented European guys, but Lambert has been an abject failure in every way a coach can fail. When (not if) we fire him in the next year or two for being the worst coach in collegiate athletics, the next coach will have a much harder time building the program than Lambert ever did. The next guy won't have the "we are new, come build a legacy" pitch Lambert had. He will have to convince them we are no longer the toilet bowl of FBS.

Did you ever get excited when your mom said she bought Oreos as a child, but then you bit into them and realized they weren't actually Oreos, instead a s*** tasting knockoff brand that let you down? That's how CUSA has to feel about adding us right now.

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 10:56:30 pm
Hell no, we shouldn't fire Price. Why let Judy make another horrendous coaching decision?

cakewalk5

• Senior Captain
Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 11:45:30 pm
Just wow, this program has fallen...

The program, with the basketball team, is supposed to be entertainment and marketing.  This brand of basketball is boring, to say the least.  And NOBODY outside the area knows the school. 

If the program is going to be just character building and student participation, the school might as well be DIV-II or III.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind another gimmick to increase awareness.  Such as, I don't know, a coach from Pfeiffer preaching the 3 instead of 2s.  Not calling for his return or lamenting his departure, and the team will just be a gimmick, but at least it's fun to watch.  As is now, I might as well check back in three years.

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:23 am

Hard nose defense is everything to successful basketball.  ... I donít care if they can shoot .

Let's not overcorrect things...

Major's teams could defend but couldn't score. Price's teams can score but not defend. A good coach will figure out how to get the best out of his team on both sides of the floor.

*edit*

We are currently 186 in adjusted offense/270 adjD. Last year we were 194/269, year before that we were 159/250. Maybe it would have been more accurate to say said Price's teams can't score AND are completely incompetent on defense.

*double edit*

I just want to use this opportunity as an I told you so to everyone who thought we'd jump 150 rpi spots in one year. Last year we were 237, year before 193, this year we are sitting at 230. Yes, I get it is early, but I don't see this team as any different from Mark Price's previous 2 teams. Yeah, there are some pieces that are different from year to year, but each team has played a remarkably similar style with remarkably similar results. It's incredibly consistent.

Ben , you weren't getting what I was trying to convey. Good Defense IMO is the stimulus for  winning basketball.  Answer me this.  After a terrible defensive effort, how many times do we go back down court deflated and execute poorly? Conversely, after a defensive stop the energy seems to return in transition.  That my friend is the reason you've got to be disruptive and in your face defensively and why I don't worry so much offensively.  Sometimes I look on the court and we have our 5 worst defenders playing at the same time. Hard to watch.

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:15 am
Metro/tim/realdad giving Mark this season. 

My standards solely based on 1988-2005.  Fell in love with Dink in HS.  That succes spans 3 head coaches

lutz best years we were 5-5 to start. 

If we crap bed in cusa and cusa tourny....then reboot. 

Tired of being embarrased after being proud 15 years.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:27:01 am by punchdrunk »
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 08:34:23 am

Hard nose defense is everything to successful basketball.  ... I donít care if they can shoot .

Let's not overcorrect things...

Major's teams could defend but couldn't score. Price's teams can score but not defend. A good coach will figure out how to get the best out of his team on both sides of the floor.

*edit*

We are currently 186 in adjusted offense/270 adjD. Last year we were 194/269, year before that we were 159/250. Maybe it would have been more accurate to say said Price's teams can't score AND are completely incompetent on defense.

*double edit*

I just want to use this opportunity as an I told you so to everyone who thought we'd jump 150 rpi spots in one year. Last year we were 237, year before 193, this year we are sitting at 230. Yes, I get it is early, but I don't see this team as any different from Mark Price's previous 2 teams. Yeah, there are some pieces that are different from year to year, but each team has played a remarkably similar style with remarkably similar results. It's incredibly consistent.

Ben , you weren't getting what I was trying to convey. Good Defense IMO is the stimulus for  winning basketball.  Answer me this.  After a terrible defensive effort, how many times do we go back down court deflated and execute poorly? Conversely, after a defensive stop the energy seems to return in transition.  That my friend is the reason you've got to be disruptive and in your face defensively and why I don't worry so much offensively.  Sometimes I look on the court and we have our 5 worst defenders playing at the same time. Hard to watch.

You're absolutely right. I just wanted to vent some of the pain , venom, and bitterness from my system. We went from a defensive minded coach with a team that couldn't score much to a team that is supposed to score but is really bad at everything. But I see what you are seeing and I totally agree.

I truly think Mark will be fine.  Good coach.  Love his new assistant and believe he will get the most out of this team.  Sad all the bashing going on with ninernation.net.  I have been supporting since 1985.  It is a roughpatch for sure.  Football is still a toddler and b-ball was decimated by Major and the transfers out when he left.   Firing coaches every 5-6 years is a no win proposition.

Just how long do you think it should take a coach to turn things around? I'm not even talking about getting to the tournament, I'm talking about simply having a program that was better off than the one under the previous guy? We are in year 3 and Price's teams are clearly worse than Major's. Let me give you some stats:

current: 228 Kenpom
2017: 237
2016: 193

Price's best year was his first year. The year you say that Major left the cupboard bare. The year that should be a rebuilding year more than any other because we had so many players and recruits leave.

No one is arguing that Price should be fired half way through his third year. No one is even saying he should be fired at the end of his third year. What we are saying is that thus far Price looks to be an even worse coach than Alan Major. We all approve of the new assistant hire, just as you do. We all hope he works out. But at 3 years in we should not be nearly 100 spots worse than the previous head coach's last team.

Our program used to practically be known for upsetting big name teams and then crashing the season when it mattered most, or conversely from under the radar to a potential dark horse. This was true even through Major's tenure. With Mark Price we have not beaten any ranked teams, we have not won a preseason tournament or made a postseason tournament, we do not have any 4 star recruits... and his best recruiting class was clearly his first year. We have been nothing if not consistently bad. I expect us to end the season somewhere between 200 and 225 in the rankings, which is about where Major's worst team was and actually over 100 spots worse than Lutz's last team.

We all want Price to succeed, but if this continues we will see him out of town when the new AD gets here. Fortunately for him, we are focused on that first.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:40:23 am by Ben H »

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 07:07:43 pm
At least Major could bring in talent

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #58 on: December 10, 2017, 07:14:44 pm
At least Major could bring in talent
at this point I'm willing to say he was also a far better game coach.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #59 on: December 10, 2017, 07:22:19 pm
Is Mark's primary reason for coaching to give his son lots of playing time?  That would explain some of this s***.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #60 on: December 10, 2017, 07:24:44 pm
Is Mark's primary reason for coaching to give his son lots of playing time?  That would explain some of this s***.
to be fair, Hudson is one of the only players that looks better this year.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #61 on: December 10, 2017, 07:31:47 pm

Hudson is the only bright spot...
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #62 on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:10 pm

Garvin looks a lot better too.

That's it though.  Nobody else looks improved.

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #63 on: December 10, 2017, 10:08:21 pm
I've been mum or positive on Mark...he deserved it as a true legend.  But this is insanity.
It's been 33 months. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:55:22 am by punchdrunk »
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #64 on: December 11, 2017, 08:15:46 am

It's been 33 months.

That's about one month for every 10 points in our current RPI.  My concern is will a new coach make it better or is there something going on that will make things difficult for the next coach too.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #65 on: December 11, 2017, 08:27:16 pm
I've been mum or positive on Mark...he deserved it as a true legend.  But this is insanity.
It's been 33 months.
He doesn't deserve anything. His playing career has nothing to do with his coaching.
His coaching has been awful. At least Clyde Drexler loved his university enough to resign.
Price has no connect to this school. So we are stuck with Price

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #66 on: December 11, 2017, 08:31:17 pm

He knows he's the only one that want be taken out if he makes a few bad plays.
He can be more relax. Maybe that is AJukwa's problem. Not playing like last season
cause he knew he would get plenty minutes reguardless

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #67 on: December 11, 2017, 08:32:42 pm
I believe it to be true

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos