Author Topic: CHANCELLOR DUBOIS interview on WFNZ tomorrow morning at 7:25  (Read 5737 times)

jfickett

• Walk On
Reply #100 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:13 pm

Not sure if they even care but only thing that might force his hand on Judy is attendance gets so low that word gets around...I used to be a bball season tix holder for many years,up until last year...I miss going and rooting but it's only thing I can do to make my small voice heard...I'm just sad...for us and all the 9er grads who went through the college experience with this shitshow in charge.

When pushed on the subject of attendance falling off, CHP response was something to the effect of "attendance doesn't really bring that much money in".  If I'm not mistaken this was just after he touted our soccer program leading conference as a positive Judy accomplishment.

Listening to that interview a couple of times now, really has me questioning Phil's leadership capabilities beyond this situation.

Maybe...follow me on this one, Phil...maybe our student athletes would like to play in front of large crowds?  Maybe?

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 12:35:20 pm

Not sure if they even care but only thing that might force his hand on Judy is attendance gets so low that word gets around...I used to be a bball season tix holder for many years,up until last year...I miss going and rooting but it's only thing I can do to make my small voice heard...I'm just sad...for us and all the 9er grads who went through the college experience with this shitshow in charge.

When pushed on the subject of attendance falling off, CHP response was something to the effect of "attendance doesn't really bring that much money in".  If I'm not mistaken this was just after he touted our soccer program leading conference as a positive Judy accomplishment.

Listening to that interview a couple of times now, really has me questioning Phil's leadership capabilities beyond this situation.

Exactly.  He made various contradicting statements.  Attendance doesn't matter but it does? 

And never forget firing Bobby Lutz, he was on record upset average attendance at 6000 dropping from 7000.  He uses data and ignores data based on his agenda. 

The whole interview is lipstick on a pig.  He focuses on the micro, and the macro is a disaster. 

WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:48 pm
Asshole tore down the Belk Tower after willfully letting it decay, this is how he does it folks.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:50 pm
Asshole tore down the Belk Tower after willfully letting it decay, this is how he does it folks.
He should have looked at the Belk Tower situation and just said  "what we have here is not good, but it's something."
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 01:26:47 pm
And THAT is EXACTLY why this 'revolt' is important - to put it all out in the public in the light of day.

78NINER

• Walk On
Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:10 pm
One of our survey lab tasks was to use surveying techniques to determine the height of the Bell Tower.  I guess that would be pretty easy now.

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #106 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:20 pm
Makes sense..... Do the math. 
Say 7000 people buy tix for each game (generous, I know) X $30 X 6 games is a $1.26M.  About 3.8% of a $33.0M budget. 

What he really counts on is the student fees: $824 X 29,000 = $23.9M. About 72.4% of the budget.

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #107 on: December 07, 2017, 01:48:18 pm

Old stats from 2008, but it is evidence none the less.  This is percentage of total athletics revenue.  I guess ticket sales meant a lot more back then.

http://www.espn.com/ncaa/revenue

School - % Ticket Sales - %Student Fees - %Donations
Crimson Tide - 22.95% - 0% - 24.13%
Gamecocks - 31.29% - 2.99% - 27.11%
Tar Holes - 27% - 9.38% - 24.03%
Wolfpack - 39.62% - 7.41% - 13.82%
Pirates - 20.09% - 33.53% - 14.8%
Thundering Herd - 19.05% - 17.54% - 15.00%
Mean Green - 8.36% - 45.32% - 9.23%

Apparently other schools have a different opinion on ticket sales.
https://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-Football-Ticket-Sales-Revenue-Up-for-2017-106618021

"It’s a huge impact,” Lajoie said. “Football and men’s basketball are our primary drivers. We are well ahead of last year’s pace in terms of football revenue, which is obviously very helpful.”

http://smartycents.com/articles/college-football-revenue/

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #108 on: December 07, 2017, 02:06:50 pm
Makes sense..... Do the math. 
Say 7000 people buy tix for each game (generous, I know) X $30 X 6 games is a $1.26M.  About 3.8% of a $33.0M budget. 

What he really counts on is the student fees: $824 X 29,000 = $23.9M. About 72.4% of the budget.
They have become complacent with the student fee - Increasing athletic budget is on autopilot with the enrollment increases.  Phil fits the stereotype of a lazy academic.

charlotteguy88

• Junior
Reply #109 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:35 pm
My email to Dubois:
Dear Mr. Dubois,
I have debated for a while whether or not to email you regarding the current state of our university, specifically athletics. I feel now is the time to express my feelings, as many have already done. I have many great memories from my time at UNC Charlotte. From our beautiful campus to athletics to my professors. Unfortunately, I now feel our university is headed in the wrong direction. Students will not experience things like the Belk Tower, wins in basketball over Tennessee or Temple or even a sold out Halton Arena. Our football program is a disaster and plays in the smallest stadium in FBS, which is embarrassing for a school our size in a large city. When I bought FSLs I still believed in a great future for my alma mater. I no longer see that future. As a result I no longer donate, buy tickets or attend games and no longer have my FSLs. Athletics are not everything, but they are the catalyst that brings students, alums and fans together and gives you something to be proud of. Athletics puts a university on the map via TV, Radio and other media coverage. Now is the time to launch UNC Charlotte into the future. With Judy Rose leading our athletics programs, which serve as the face of our university, that will not happen. It is time for change. I appreciate everything you've accomplished since becoming Chancellor, our university has grown and continues to be stunningly beautiful in the process. In fact, I have very few complaints against you as our Chancellor. 1) Getting rid of the Belk Tower, but I can let that slide. 2) Not pushing Mrs. Rose to fire coach Lambert after the season. 3)Not firing Judy Rose. Numbers 2 and 3, I can not let slide. Coach Lambert is clearly in over his head and needs replacing. As for Mrs. Rose, she has a had a long career in athletics with a lot of good things to hang her hat on. However, 27 years is far too long for an athletic director to be in charge. The world and college athletics change frequently these days and fresh ideas and new leadership is needed well before someone reaches 3 decades in-charge. Firing somebody with the years of service such as Mrs. Rose is not easy. I would personally like to see her retire and be celebrated. At this point however, that will not happen. As such, it falls on you to make that difficult decision and relieve Mrs. Rose of her duties. For the good of our university's future, for our athlete's futures, for current students to have a better experience, for alumni to feel proud again and for us to be relevant in the Charlotte region. I ask you do what needs to be done, no matter how difficult, before it's too late.
Thank you,
Gregory C. Jones
Class of 2011

FridayNiner

• Walk On
Reply #110 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:38 pm
well done charlotteguy88

punchdrunk

• Walk On
  • WIN
    • I told you so.
Reply #111 on: December 07, 2017, 09:15:30 pm
My email to Dubois:
Dear Mr. Dubois,
I have debated for a while whether or not to email you regarding the current state of our university, specifically athletics. I feel now is the time to express my feelings, as many have already done. I have many great memories from my time at UNC Charlotte. From our beautiful campus to athletics to my professors. Unfortunately, I now feel our university is headed in the wrong direction. Students will not experience things like the Belk Tower, wins in basketball over Tennessee or Temple or even a sold out Halton Arena. Our football program is a disaster and plays in the smallest stadium in FBS, which is embarrassing for a school our size in a large city. When I bought FSLs I still believed in a great future for my alma mater. I no longer see that future. As a result I no longer donate, buy tickets or attend games and no longer have my FSLs. Athletics are not everything, but they are the catalyst that brings students, alums and fans together and gives you something to be proud of. Athletics puts a university on the map via TV, Radio and other media coverage. Now is the time to launch UNC Charlotte into the future. With Judy Rose leading our athletics programs, which serve as the face of our university, that will not happen. It is time for change. I appreciate everything you've accomplished since becoming Chancellor, our university has grown and continues to be stunningly beautiful in the process. In fact, I have very few complaints against you as our Chancellor. 1) Getting rid of the Belk Tower, but I can let that slide. 2) Not pushing Mrs. Rose to fire coach Lambert after the season. 3)Not firing Judy Rose. Numbers 2 and 3, I can not let slide. Coach Lambert is clearly in over his head and needs replacing. As for Mrs. Rose, she has a had a long career in athletics with a lot of good things to hang her hat on. However, 27 years is far too long for an athletic director to be in charge. The world and college athletics change frequently these days and fresh ideas and new leadership is needed well before someone reaches 3 decades in-charge. Firing somebody with the years of service such as Mrs. Rose is not easy. I would personally like to see her retire and be celebrated. At this point however, that will not happen. As such, it falls on you to make that difficult decision and relieve Mrs. Rose of her duties. For the good of our university's future, for our athlete's futures, for current students to have a better experience, for alumni to feel proud again and for us to be relevant in the Charlotte region. I ask you do what needs to be done, no matter how difficult, before it's too late.
Thank you,
Gregory C. Jones
Class of 2011

"Gregory,
I have looked up your history, and for someone out of school 6 years its quite modest.  There's ample opportunity to put your money where your mouth is
best,
Phil"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:17:08 pm by punchdrunk »
WIN...........................WIN.......................WIN

COMPETE LIKE 130,000 ALUMNI MUST EVERY DAY

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #112 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:21 pm
I have no faith UNC Charlotte will ever pursue a medical school with this stooge as our leader. He needs to be gone ASAP. He is an anchor around our neck.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #113 on: December 07, 2017, 10:41:29 pm
My email to Dubois:
Dear Mr. Dubois,
Thank you,
Gregory C. Jones
Class of 2011

"Gregory,
I have looked up your history, and for someone out of school 6 years its quite modest.  There's ample opportunity to put your money where your mouth is
best,
Phil"

clt says our alumni earn lots of money!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:43:55 pm by ghostofclt »

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #114 on: December 07, 2017, 11:22:04 pm
Great words 88...From the heart...Don't give up...Don't ever give up!

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #115 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:45 am
Did not hear the interview but I finally read the Scott piece today in the Observer.

My take:

1.  He doesn't care about the athletic programs and only values that they are not a pain in his neck due to violations, etc.  He really does value the fact the program is clean.  I will say this.  That is certainly his right to value it that way.  It is also our right to complain constantly about it until something is done to correct the situation.

2.  Those of you saying Phil is the problem.  That may be partially true but you will NEVER get rid of him due to ANYTHING relating to athletics.  Unless there is some scandal a chancellor is untouchable for anything related to athletics.  If it gets bad enough, he can just fire the AD and say he addressed the issue, and that buys him another 5 to 7 years of not having to worry about it (unless there are scandals).

3.  He seems like a real ass when he responds to someone that they are not giving enough money to the school.  Sorry, but he has no idea what people are facing in their personal lives relating to income and money management.  That is a real cheap shot to someone who takes the time to reach out to him.  Just really cheap and beneath his station if you ask me.  He embarrasses himself and his position with that kind of feedback.

4.  I am more motivated than ever to drop all giving and attendance.  The only thing that is going to change his mind is a complete tanking of attendance, giving and an insane amount of public complaining.

5. I agree the banner was effective.  I suggest we start a Patreon to fund future flights, billboards, etc.  I would be willing to pledge a few bucks a month to that.  It would also be pretty embarrassing if a significant number of people funded that Patreon while at the same time no longer giving to the foundation, buying tickets, etc. 

6.  The students need to complain about their athletic fee and the horrible product they are getting for it.

7.  I hate hate hate the attitude that the other sports counter balance the poor performance in men's basketball and football.  The simple truth is that if it wasn't for those two sports, there would probably be no NCAA and no scholarships for non revenue sports.  Those two are the straw that stirs the drink.  EVERYTHING about modern college sports are built on the backs of those two sports.  Accept the reality!!!!!

8.  Apparently Phil Dubois lives in a world where results don't matter.  Where performance of your job doesn't matter.  If I performed as poorly at my job as Judy Rose has done in the last 10 years, I would be out on my ass so fast it would make your head spin.  I could probably last about a week performing so poorly before I got cut loose.  That kind of acceptance of mediocrity really bothers me.  I have to scrape and claw every damn day to stay where I am at, but not these people. 

This is a simple case of his viewpoint clashing with a large number of alumni, students and fans.  At some point if the complaints are loud enough, the attendance sparse enough, and the donations low enough he will have to make the change. 

So let's make that happen. (I feel like a traitor even saying that, but it's the only way).

BTW, when I say tank giving I am talking about the Athletic Foundation.  I am just going to start giving to the Academic side more.  I haven't given enough to that side anyway.  I need to correct that.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #116 on: December 08, 2017, 07:18:08 am
Regarding the "it's the fans angry about only these two sports" argument, it would make sense if we were succeeding in most of our other sports and making the NCAAs on the regular. However, we are woefully bad across the board in women's sports when it comes to making the postseason, and it's not like the men's squads, other than golf and soccer, are making history.

We like to think she treats all the teams as "equals", but she's really just doing a bad job all around at creating winners.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos