Author Topic: 2017 Spring Practice depth chart  (Read 2624 times)

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
on: March 18, 2017, 10:52:28 am

This of course excludes the JUCOs and 2017 class we signed. I still think there are some interesting notes.

I see Hardy and Paraison flip flopped from the DL positions I'd expect them to play based on their size. Also, I'm surprised Timmy Horne isn't on the DL two deep. Maybe my expectations are too high for him.

Both lines are gonna be pushed by the later arrivals, but especially the OL. You have to expect the JUCOs to likely win starting jobs.

Also, with how much we run, I'm not sure it matters, but was a little surprised to see LeMay ahead of Washington, considering RW got a lot more work last year.

Also, call me crazy, but I'm happy to see Barden's name on there. Don't think he has gotten a full fair shot yet. Still interested to see what he can do. Hes not an 18 year old frosh anymore. Wonder how he has recovered and if he has improved since last we saw him.

More:

Cheatem (Deluca's HS teammate) and Gibbs over Irvin and Covington at CB. AJ McDonald ahead of Ed Rolled at SS. If these younger guys are good enough to beat out the older ones, we may just have some depth at DB.

LB looks a bit thin to me again.

I can't really see Darren Drake @ 324 at C. That'd be maybe the biggest College center I've ever seen. That has to be an opportunity for the JUCOs.

Really, aside from LBs, and trying to replace Austin Duke as a deep threat, this season is gonna be all about the OL and DL quality, as many have said. Our DL is gonna be young and inexperienced. No way around it. I'm kinda surprised we didn't bring in at least one JUCO there.

Ready for the spring game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:56:32 am by NinerAdvocate »
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

chidave

• Junior
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:17 pm
One thing I think that bodes well for us long term is all those redshirts on the OL (only (1) OL on our two deep is not a RS). It's frustrating sometimes when highly recruited people don't see the field immediately, but physical age is so important on the line and I'm glad we're committed to being old there.

I hope it works out for Barden too, it says a lot about his character that's he's stayed in the program. Either he or Thompson have to fill that #2 role at QB because with Klugh play style there's a good chance one of them will get some snaps this year.

Fain is currently listed as the starting NT, he's got some big shoes to fill. I was excited when we signed him because of his athleticism but nagging injuries have slowed down his development. I hope he's ready to take a giant leap forward.

Nick Carroll is listed as #1 at DE, he has a great game versus Marshall and hopefully he can get more consistent.

It's an exciting time of year, "if" (and it's a big if) the lines can come together we may be able to surprise some people next year.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:13:04 pm
We had 4 jucos sign in December of thos Gibbs is a listed as a starter, Bernard listed as a backup. 

We had 3 that I guess arent with the team yet that signed later:  Allen and Eason on the OL and Phillips TE.  I do find it interesting along with N/A that the staff thought we needed more help from juco on the OL than the DL.  That DL underwhelms me, but we'll see when the season starts I suppose. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:24:13 pm
If I had to guess, I would assume Eason wins the C job, and Allen one of the guards, though he could probably play C too in a pinch.

We have Adams (true Frosh) coming in, and the vibe seems to be that the staff expects he may push for PT at DT right away. We had signed those two monster DL - Horne and Paraison, in the class that RS last year. My expectation was that Fain didn't get enough snaps to easily hold them off. Then the 2 deep comes out and Paraison is a DE @ 6'6 305 (I mean, that's just ridiculous size at that position), and Hardy, who I was also high on, is listed at NT at only 6'4 276. Since this doesn't make sense to me, it means they know things I don't. I do wanna see these guys play though. And I'm hoping they all impress, because my impulse would have been to sign a reliable JUCO to stabilize the line. Larry left some huge shoes to fill on the interior.

And where is our edge rush? is that just not a priority for this staff? Suydam and Carroll seem like solid players, but we rarely ever got edge pressure last year. I was really hoping we'd change that now that we cannot rely on Larry collapsing the pocket up the middle. 

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:56:44 pm
Look for Tim Horne to pass Fain at nose

cltniners

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:26:32 pm
 clt says we are big now.

CivilNiner

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:10:00 pm
I'm surprised at the DBs depth chart over anything else. Young guys coming in as starters before spring camp even starts. Can't see the vets winning those positions back, unless Lambert has done this as motivation for them? I don't think that's what's happening, but would be an interesting tactic.

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:13:09 am
I really like Gemmell and King as starting LB's.  Both will put up some big hits.  I think some of our incoming LB's have some potential and hope at least one or two gets onto the roster as a freshmen.  To play the 3-4, you must have some LB's that can be featured against the run and that scare QBs. 

FootballDad

• Walk On
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:21:27 am
I wouldn't worry about the DB Depth Chart.  I anticipate weekly changes.  Covington and Irvin are the clear CB starters, but could use some motivation.  Spent money on Cheatem and Gibbs, so we need to see what they're made of.   Deluca is a lock, but the other SS spot is up for grabs (don't be surprised to see Gibbs moved to SS and Duncan moved back to CB).  I will always have love for the inaugural class, but group of LB's coming up are BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER!  DL will miss Larry.  You want find 1 single lineman that can replace his production.  But, 2 300lbs  freshmen playing together can clog the middle for DE's to bring the heat.  I want talk about RB's.  We all know that Washington is the man, but I like Lemay as well.  Freshmen RB will have some plays drawn up to catch out of the backfield legit 4.3 speed.  OL will be field with JUCO guys.  Look at the tape, they are big and NASTY!  I am concerned about all of the TE's/H-back's, but they are good on special teams, mainly kick returns.  We will be a better team this year.  Get excited and get your passports ready!  This is my first post.  So, here is the customary "Mullen Sucks".

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:29:10 am
I wouldn't worry about the DB Depth Chart.  I anticipate weekly changes.  Covington and Irvin are the clear CB starters, but could use some motivation.  Spent money on Cheatem and Gibbs, so we need to see what they're made of.   Deluca is a lock, but the other SS spot is up for grabs (don't be surprised to see Gibbs moved to SS and Duncan moved back to CB).  I will always have love for the inaugural class, but group of LB's coming up are BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER!  DL will miss Larry.  You want find 1 single lineman that can replace his production.  But, 2 300lbs  freshmen playing together can clog the middle for DE's to bring the heat.  I want talk about RB's.  We all know that Washington is the man, but I like Lemay as well.  Freshmen RB will have some plays drawn up to catch out of the backfield legit 4.3 speed.  OL will be field with JUCO guys.  Look at the tape, they are big and NASTY!  I am concerned about all of the TE's/H-back's, but they are good on special teams, mainly kick returns.  We will be a better team this year.  Get excited and get your passports ready!  This is my first post.  So, here is the customary "Mullen Sucks".

Helluva first post and welcome to the board.  Agree on all points.

I am most anticipating Klugh's growth in the offseason with a full spring camp of first team snaps.  We will go as he goes keeping the secondary honest with his arm and speed so we can give the ball to our horses in Washington and Lemay.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:23 pm

Welcome.. Good stuff..

Agreed on the spring depth chart being a great motivational tool.

cltniners

Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:07:30 pm
clt asks where is aube?

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:39:57 pm
One heck of a way to end your first post.  http://www.smokingmusket.com/2008/11/08/fire-jeff-mullen
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

ProudNiner13

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:50 pm

Helluva first post and welcome to the board.  Agree on all points.

I am most anticipating Klugh's growth in the offseason with a full spring camp of first team snaps.  We will go as he goes keeping the secondary honest with his arm and speed so we can give the ball to our horses in Washington and Lemay.

I too am interested in seeing how much growth Klugh has done. If he works as hard as they he does, he could maybe shock the football world. Not really worried about this first depth chart, doesn't really mean anything this early on. Just motivation and giving a shot at 1st team reps for some of these guys. This should be a fun team to watch I believe, a lot more talent when it comes to the depth of this team. I'm looking forward to this year a lot but will be sad not seeing the first class out there as well.
Hating the Tar Holes since '89

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:15 am
I agree with an earlier post about Gemmell and King, both can bring it and I was really impressed with Gemmell throughout the year last year.
I remember King from HS and his growth as a player on the field has been quite impressive. The first spring depth chart doesn't mean too much, but it is exciting to see spring ball up and running with recruits pouring in to watch as well, gives these new coaches time to build relationships and such.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:44:46 am
Just wondering, do we have a kicker on scholarship?
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

FootballDad

• Walk On
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:30 am
Virginia Tech transfer Vansickle is very good.  I think we also signed another kicker late.

cltniners

Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 01:33:43 pm
Virginia Tech transfer Vansickle is very good.  I think we also signed another kicker late.

clt says he is andy vansickle's son.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 05:52:45 pm
We got a transfer from VT? Is he eligible this year?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 07:04:50 pm
yes. He's a kicker and he sat out last season.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:49 pm
yes. He's a kicker and he sat out last season.
Well good! After last year any upgrade for our kicking game will be much appreciated!

chidave

• Junior
Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 11:59:31 am
It may be the optimism of the off-season but the more I think about it the better I am feeling about our OL. Although all the injuries on the O-Line cost us a shot at a bowl last year, it did get other players more snaps than they would have gotten. Despite all the people graduating, these aren't all rookies taking their place. Brown, German, and Clark have all shown flashes at T, and Davis is good at LG. If we can develop or get some more help up the middle with the JUCOs we may be in business.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:14 pm
It may be the optimism of the off-season but the more I think about it the better I am feeling about our OL. Although all the injuries on the O-Line cost us a shot at a bowl last year, it did get other players more snaps than they would have gotten. Despite all the people graduating, these aren't all rookies taking their place. Brown, German, and Clark have all shown flashes at T, and Davis is good at LG. If we can develop or get some more help up the middle with the JUCOs we may be in business.
I feel much better about the OL than the DL. Like you said, they gained a good bit of snaps last year with all the injuries and added some key JUCO guys. Eason is HUGE for us.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:30 pm

My biggest fear is actually WR. We need players that can consistently catch balls. Have yet to really see that in 4 years. If 2 guys can step up in that area, I like our ability to be balanced on O.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:37 pm
At the signing day event Lambert's comment was he was surprised no one was asking him who was going to kick for us this year. He then went on to say that they would be bringing some guys in...

I think most of us thought Vansickle was penciled in and that's why we weren't questioning. But Lambert's comments certainly didn't come off as a ringing endorsement.

As for WR, I am looking for big things from TL Ford his senior season. I believe he has legit FBS talent, and I'd like to see him assert himself in our offense (yep I'm throwing down a challenge for you TL, calling you out). I think he can do it. Uriah LeMay is on his last season too. He should step up as well. Bostick - I just hope he can get through the year healthy, because he has been a fan favorite since year 1.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos