Author Topic: Former Butler (NC) & Tennessee QB Riley Ferguson transferring to Charlotte?  (Read 75267 times)

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Stockpiling big time talent from big time local high schools is a really good formula for recruiting success down the road.

I'm excited.

fonzie953

• Walk On

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/may/27/quarterback-riley-ferguson-expected-leave-vols-foo/

"Tony...was told two days ago of the possible Riley Ferguson transfer via his grandfather who lives here in the Tri-Cities area - Blountville, TN. Riley has been influenced by a former Matthews High School teammate - Uriah Lemay - a former four-star WR recruit who just two weeks ago announced his transfer from Georgia. Lemay's announcement came on the heels of a March arrests along with three Bulldog teammates for theft by deception. I'm being told that Lemay and Ferguson have contrived a plan to reunite at the University of Charlotte. It's also interesting to note that Lemay's older brother Christian, also announced his transfer from Georgia after last season and in January indicated he would enroll at Jacksonville State. Christian Lemay was the starting QB at Matthews ahead of Ferguson until Lemay got into trouble and Ferguson took over in his sophomore season. The Ferguson family wanted to meet with Coach Butch Jones before a final decision was made, but it sounds as if Riley is determined in his decision and if a meeting occurs, it will only be for the Ferguson family to ask for a release, which Jones has already told them he will not grant. Ferguson's grandfather and the rest of the family are not in agreement with the decision and the grandfather said he was 'going to Knoxville to kick Riley's ass.'

...and forgot to add...Riley's brother Zach is WR at Charlotte. You probably knew all this but I'd sat on it for two days and was about to bust. Keep up the good work...lots of listeners and growing in the Tri-Cities."

#unc-CHeatingPays

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
This could be huge.  Having an SEC caliber QB make a move to Charlotte is going to give other top recruits the confidence that we are building something big here.  Hoping the next signing day is a windfall and that we continue to get top transfers in the interim.

chidave

• Junior
More evidence he may come to Charlotte:
http://tonybasilio.com/index.php?page=tony&b=1896

It is so surreal (in a good way :) ) for me as a native Tennessean and life-long Vol fan to go to Basilio for news about Charlotte football.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
This seems tailor-made for an NCAA waiver.  Ferguson got recruited by one coach who got fired, then came in to play for another.  He redshirted last year and now wants to find a better fit.  It would make no sense for the NCAA to punish the player by taking away a year of eligibilty.  Of course we are UNC Charlotte, and the NCAA never finds in our favor.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Niner National

• Athletic Director
According to a very reliable source close to the Butler program (his high school), *Ferguson has until Monday to make a final decision. The source said he thought Riley was in Knoxville yesterday, but could not confirm he had met with Butch Jones. That same source said he thought Riley would wait until Monday to decide. I asked the the source if they thought he stays or goes and his response was "stays". With all this said, I think this is a fluid situation and it appears no final decision has been made yet.*[/q][/t]

919R

• Head Coach
According to a very reliable source close to the Butler program (his high school), *Ferguson has until Monday to make a final decision. The source said he thought Riley was in Knoxville yesterday, but could not confirm he had met with Butch Jones. That same source said he thought Riley would wait until Monday to decide. I asked the the source if they thought he stays or goes and his response was "stays". With all this said, I think this is a fluid situation and it appears no final decision has been made yet.*[/q][/t]
Where is this quote from NN?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Where is this quote from NN?
someone posted it on the forum at volnation.com. It came from their scout reporter.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
someone posted it on the forum at volnation.com. It came from their scout reporter.

Reading the comments on that site makes this place look timid. Calling a kid a quitter and prima donna because he doesn't want to play for your school and a coach he didn't sign up for, a little overboard there.

mightymitchfan

• Junior

Reading the comments on that site makes this place look timid. Calling a kid a quitter and prima donna because he doesn't want to play for your school and a coach he didn't sign up for, a little overboard there.

I'm sure worse things were said about Shamari Spears granted most were probably deserved.

chidave

• Junior
It just shows how much talent he has, even after all this Coach Jones seems to be putting on a full court press trying to get him to stay. Also...fans don't get this upset when an average player leaves. I guess we'll see by Monday (hopefully), but this could really put us on the fast track if he comes.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
http://www.sportsanimal99.com/common/page.php?pt=Riley+Ferguson+update+from+Volquest%27s+Paul+Fortenberry&id=4223&is_corp=0

"Paul Fortenberry from Volquest.com told us on SportsTalk on WNML that it looks like Riley Ferguson will transfer to Charlotte (aka UNC-Charlotte.) Charlotte is in year two of football. It is currently a FCS school that will move up to the FBS level in 2015 as a member of the Sun Belt Conference. Paul said from what they're hearing at Volquest is that the meeting with Butch Jones is just for Riley to get his release face-to-face, and Butch Jones does not expect to have Riley Ferguson back."

Other than us being in the Sun Belt, sounds pretty good.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach

i agree but in all fairness, there were people saying that he was not working hard and was a headache with the coaches. i do not know how much of that is accurate but it is something to consider. i am really excited if this comes into fruition. we are stockpiling talent that the other programs in cusa will not be able to compete with. this is a kid who was not just an sec player, but someone who had the potential to be possibly one of the best, if not the best quarterback in the sec. add in a great receiving corps and this kid could have great success. i wonder what this does to the quarterback competition. i doubt johnson is our long-term starter in cusa. i think barden and ferguson will fight it out with mcneill running scout team.

KSNiner

• Walk On
I for one am more than stoked that we may be the local landing spot for SEC/Clemson tier 2 guys.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
I for one am more than stoked that we may be the local landing spot for SEC/Clemson tier 2 guys.

not sure if this is a compliment or a backhanded compliment but this kid was definitely considered a tier one player at tennessee. from everything i have read, he definitely had by far the most talent of any quarterback on the roster.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor

i agree but in all fairness, there were people saying that he was not working hard and was a headache with the coaches. i do not know how much of that is accurate but it is something to consider.

Sooo the same thing everyone said when Major took over.
Mahna Mahna

KSNiner

• Walk On

not sure if this is a compliment or a backhanded compliment but this kid was definitely considered a tier one player at tennessee. from everything i have read, he definitely had by far the most talent of any quarterback on the roster.

I meant it as a compliment. Our program can become competitive quickly in cusa by getting high talent guys that for whatever reason werent working out in the sec and fill in with 4 year guys.

OrionPioneer

• Walk On

i agree but in all fairness, there were people saying that he was not working hard and was a headache with the coaches. i do not know how much of that is accurate but it is something to consider. i am really excited if this comes into fruition. we are stockpiling talent that the other programs in cusa will not be able to compete with. this is a kid who was not just an sec player, but someone who had the potential to be possibly one of the best, if not the best quarterback in the sec. add in a great receiving corps and this kid could have great success. i wonder what this does to the quarterback competition. i doubt johnson is our long-term starter in cusa. i think barden and ferguson will fight it out with mcneill running scout team.

I'm a lifelong TN fan but I have a brother-in-law that teaches at UNCC and a nephew that graduated from there. The nephew has always been a diehard 49ers fan. He clearly had bragging rights in our B-Ball matchup in Dec 2010.

As was noted by an earlier poster the situation with RF at UT should be resolved on Monday. I like RF. I don't know him personally but I don't have any reason not to believe he's a good kid. TN fans are like fans everywhere only maybe more passionate, sometimes in an ugly way, and people have a tendency to reach for whatever makes them feel the way they want to. Having said that, it's a significant loss for UT if RF bolts the program. During the spring most onlookers (insiders - not staff) thought RF would win the job eventually coming into this season. Jones singled out RF for praise regarding his leadership compared to the other QBs. He's the most competitive and the most talented and there is a trail of staff comments and insider reports to substantiate that. If he indeed leaves UT it is a hit to the program and many in our fanbase are already dining on sour grapes. In my view, and I follow TN football more closely that I should probably admit, RF may feel like he doesn't have a level playing field in the QB competition at UT. I believe he has more than adequate reasons to believe that if he does. And if he does it would change I think the explanation as to why he may be unhappy at UT. Generally our fans don't care about the players beyond what they can do for us and maybe we're not that much different from any other fanbase, but wherever RF goes or even if he stays I'll be a fan. If he does not trust our staff then I would personally advise him to look after his own interests. A college player has a limited opportunity as far as NCAA eligibility goes and he has to manage that in the best way he sees fit. I am a RF fan as noted but I didn't know him before he came to UT. At the moment and in my view there are perhaps at least 7 SEC teams he could compete for the starting job this year. The question he may be facing this weekend is does he gamble another one of those few years of eligibility with a program where the staff may have in the past been less than candid with him. As I've said repeatedly, I am a fan so I may just be seeing what I want to see but from what I do see RF is not the problem here as it relates to UT. jmo.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach

I'm a lifelong TN fan but I have a brother-in-law that teaches at UNCC and a nephew that graduated from there. The nephew has always been a diehard 49ers fan. He clearly had bragging rights in our B-Ball matchup in Dec 2010.

As was noted by an earlier poster the situation with RF at UT should be resolved on Monday. I like RF. I don't know him personally but I don't have any reason not to believe he's a good kid. TN fans are like fans everywhere only maybe more passionate, sometimes in an ugly way, and people have a tendency to reach for whatever makes them feel the way they want to. Having said that, it's a significant loss for UT if RF bolts the program. During the spring most onlookers (insiders - not staff) thought RF would win the job eventually coming into this season. Jones singled out RF for praise regarding his leadership compared to the other QBs. He's the most competitive and the most talented and there is a trail of staff comments and insider reports to substantiate that. If he indeed leaves UT it is a hit to the program and many in our fanbase are already dining on sour grapes. In my view, and I follow TN football more closely that I should probably admit, RF may feel like he doesn't have a level playing field in the QB competition at UT. I believe he has more than adequate reasons to believe that if he does. And if he does it would change I think the explanation as to why he may be unhappy at UT. Generally our fans don't care about the players beyond what they can do for us and maybe we're not that much different from any other fanbase, but wherever RF goes or even if he stays I'll be a fan. If he does not trust our staff then I would personally advise him to look after his own interests. A college player has a limited opportunity as far as NCAA eligibility goes and he has to manage that in the best way he sees fit. I am a RF fan as noted but I didn't know him before he came to UT. At the moment and in my view there are perhaps at least 7 SEC teams he could compete for the starting job this year. The question he may be facing this weekend is does he gamble another one of those few years of eligibility with a program where the staff may have in the past been less than candid with him. As I've said repeatedly, I am a fan so I may just be seeing what I want to see but from what I do see RF is not the problem here as it relates to UT. jmo.

welcome to the board. i for one, would love to have riley ferguson here at charlotte and feel that he should easily give us the best quarterback roster in cusa. it is nice the praise that you lay on him and it sounds like he just needs a change of scenary and i think coming home and playing with lemay and his brother would be just what the doctor ordered.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
A poster on CarolinaHuddle.com's forum said he has spoken with Riley, his father, and Uriah. He said Riley wouldn't tell him anything, but Riley's father and Uriah both said Riley is leaning towards coming here.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2014/05/31/butch-jones-wishes-riley-ferguson-well-focusing-current-players/

From an interview Coach Jones gave tonight, it seems that there is no chance that Riley returns to UT.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2014/05/31/butch-jones-wishes-riley-ferguson-well-focusing-current-players/

From an interview Coach Jones gave tonight, it seems that there is no chance that Riley returns to UT.

Commentators are suggesting Ferguson wouldn't have started if he stayed

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
If you read some reports during the spring practice he had as good a shot to be the starter as any. The negativity and reports that he wasn't going to be in that position didn't reveal themselves until after word leaked he was leaving. He's a big loss and potential huge gain for us. If you need proof there's 40+ pages of butthurt over on volnation.

NinerAdvocate

Worley is more experienced, less gifted.

Trying not toget my hopes up here...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:17:15 pm by NinerAdvocate »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos