Author Topic: Former Butler (NC) & Tennessee QB Riley Ferguson transferring to Charlotte?  (Read 79144 times)

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Does anyone REALLY believe that RF would have the same kind of success here? This kid is so fortunate he went to Memphis...

D.O.B.A.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

chidave

• Junior
Does anyone REALLY believe that RF would have the same kind of success here? This kid is so fortunate he went to Memphis...

I don't know you are correct, or if Mullen'a offense requires a Riley Ferguson type QB who is an elite thrower and good runner (college football's unicorn) to make it function. I also am unsure about what has been more catastrophic for us, the hiring and retention of Mullen or the refusal to allow Ferguson to play here.

What I am sure of is that the combination of these two poor decisions has been a left hook-right cross combo from which we have not been able to recover.

jfickett

Nick Tronti made a good choice too. He could bounce around to 3 schools in his college career and still be happier than he would have been here.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
clt says we are 2-1 with Riley.

NinerAdvocate

This was a convo in the shoutbox. Realized it should probably be on here. Sorry for the awful formatting. I tried to clean it up some.

(07:37:42) NinerAdvocate: Saw on Twitter that Riley is gonna be on 610 am at 7:45.

(07:55:11) itsbraille49: hope you aren't listening, NA

(08:19:26) NinerAdvocate: I did listen, because I wanted to understand what happened

(08:19:35) NinerAdvocate: They did ask Riley what happened here.
(08:19:54) justintrent: What did he have to say?

(08:20:05) NinerAdvocate: His response was that we indicated to him that we were happy with our QB situation and didn't need anymore

(08:20:43) NinerAdvocate: meanwhile, he goes and takes shitty jobs at a body shop and detailing cars up in concord. Said he didn't have enough money to eat at times

(08:20:57) NinerAdvocate: also said that it humbled him and he grew up a lot

(08:21:42) NinerAdvocate: butler/Clemson bro at work said he knows the family and they are blue collar and Riley's parents got divorced several years back, so things haven't always been easy

(08:23:52) NinerAdvocate: I still feel like we blew it there. I do believe he had an attitude issue, but you have to coach through it for that kind of talent. He wasn't out committing felonies, he was just too cocky

(08:27:51) NinerAdvocate: wonder if we have turned around some other talented kids who were a little tougher to coach. That's fine to do if you are winning, but we arent

(08:28:01) justintrent: If they're not wanting to deal with cocky kids out of high school, we'll never recruit any good talent

(08:28:29) justintrent: most of those kids are cocky as hell because their heads have been swollen up by everyone telling them how great they are

(08:29:21) justintrent: You could tell with Olsen that Lambert can't handle/change that kind of attitude though

(08:30:00) NinerAdvocate: Yeah, but I got the vibe that Olsen was worse than Riley which is crazy

(08:30:10) NinerAdvocate: We took the bigger, less talented headcase of the two

(08:30:26) justintrent: oh yeah, I'm not sure how bad Riley was, but Olsen was def at the top of that situation

(08:30:47) justintrent: I guess Lambert thought big brother would keep him straight

(08:31:25) NinerAdvocate: we had Zach Ferguson on the roster here too though - had his actual brother on the team

(08:31:37) NinerAdvocate: so if the brother theory applies

(08:33:04) justintrent: Maybe a bit different, Greg being a good bit older and in the situation he's in

(08:33:06) NinerAdvocate: Why I am fixated on this is the feeling I had when this all went down that we were making a really bad decision that would set us back years. It was a sense of dread at the time and it only finally lessened last season. Now this season, Klugh has sucked and Riley is killing it, and that feeling is back a hundredfold. It stings so bad.

NinerAdvocate

(08:33:24) justintrent: It sucks

(08:33:38) NinerAdvocate: said simply: We would have made a bowl with Riley last year and possibly this year too

(08:33:40) justintrent: Riley probably would've sucked here with the coaching situation

(08:33:44) justintrent: especially OC

(08:33:57) NormBot: chidave logs into the Chat.

(08:34:08) NinerAdvocate: No, I don't believe that. There may have been issues, but Riley is a freaking SEC 1st team type talent

(08:34:25) NinerAdvocate: you might hinder him some with bad playcalling, but he is gonna overcome it with sheer talent

(08:34:29) chidave: The decision not to take Riley was catastrophic

(08:34:40) chidave: And I don't use that word lightly

(08:34:50) chidave: Everything could have changed

(08:34:59) NinerAdvocate: dave, I thought that then and its impossible not to think it now

(08:35:14) justintrent: No doubt we'd be in a better situation

(08:35:30) NinerAdvocate: its the biggest blunder we have made in this young program, probably second to not putting up lights immediately

(08:35:46) NinerAdvocate: oops maybe lights were second

(08:36:35) chidave: It's not only the Ws, he could have been the poster child for local recruits thiking about staying

(08:36:50) NinerAdvocate: I hope we don't ever turn away SEC 1st team talent again because of an attitude

(08:37:06) NinerAdvocate: yes dave - he was a freaking Butler star, one of the two best programs in the city

(08:37:24) NinerAdvocate: IIRC he and Benny an Uriah were on the same team

(08:37:27) chidave: Or believe Butch Jones character references

(08:37:40) chidave: They were, can you imagaine him throwing to Uriah

(08:37:51) NinerAdvocate: I think Butch sabotaged that situation - once again UT screws us

(08:38:13) chidave: I will almost guaruntee he did, he was very upset when riley left

(08:38:18) justintrent: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom091917/bottom-10-tennessee-volunteers

(08:38:28) NinerAdvocate: how do you take butch at face value in that situation?

(08:39:10) chidave: Not being a good judge of character. Butch is vindictive when players transfer out

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
I agree this was a mistake but also think there was more going on behind the scenes than just an attitude issue that has been presented. I agree he is an SEC talent and one of the top 5 QBs after Elite Camp his Senior summer and SEC talent does not end up working shitty jobs and hungry based solely on an attitude problem. There has to be more.  No one wanted to touch this kid right after he left and to end up at Mempiss as his final destination is a " tell" about what was going on. They are known for what they take in.

Hopefully he is straight now and wish him nothing but success. 
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

jdub49er

• Walk On
At the time, I thought signing Riley would've turned this thing around and I thought it was catastrophic when we did not.  I was obsessed with scouring the internet looking for info back when he made it clear he wanted to come here.  He may have been a risk to chemistry but who cares. If it didn't work, you move on just like we have with numerous other players.  Colossal mistake on the part of this staff.  Every fan of this program knew at the time that we had great receivers, great RB but a major weak link at QB.  -- I think our staff had it in their head that Barden was going to be our savior so they could afford to turn down Riley.--This will go down as the biggest athletic mistake in our schools history.-- Imagine if we had Riley at QB our 1st 2 years in FBS.  There would be a waiting list to buy season tickets for the expanded stadium.-- We probably would even like our offensive coordinator.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
At the time, I thought signing Riley would've turned this thing around and I thought it was catastrophic when we did not.  I was obsessed with scouring the internet looking for info back when he made it clear he wanted to come here.  He may have been a risk to chemistry but who cares. If it didn't work, you move on just like we have with numerous other players.  Colossal mistake on the part of this staff. 

Funny thing is how we knee jerked in the other direction.

As soon as we passed on this talented yet troubled chemistry rattling alpha dog QB....we take in Olsen who was worse in all aspects and less on talent.

Almost comical how we were holier than thou with Riley and yet so welcoming to Olsen...especially considering how both turned out.  Safe to say we "pulled a Niner" making that decision.  Par for the course I guess.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
At the time, I thought signing Riley would've turned this thing around and I thought it was catastrophic when we did not.  I was obsessed with scouring the internet looking for info back when he made it clear he wanted to come here.  He may have been a risk to chemistry but who cares. If it didn't work, you move on just like we have with numerous other players.  Colossal mistake on the part of this staff. 

Funny thing is how we knee jerked in the other direction.

As soon as we passed on this talented yet troubled chemistry rattling alpha dog QB....we take in Olsen who was worse in all aspects and less on talent.

Almost comical how we were holier than thou with Riley and yet so welcoming to Olsen...especially considering how both turned out.  Safe to say we "pulled a Niner" making that decision.  Par for the course I guess.

This is exactly why I think there were major financial implications behind the Olsen thing
#bus1

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Riley was limited to what non-JUCO's he could transfer too. I believe I saw Charlotte and 2 FCS schools were not restricted. My guess is the real-world put things in perspective, he grew up, hit JUCO and then Memphis with something to prove. Good for the kid.

Simply put, we backed the wrong horse. Happens, and we're paying for it.

BusterC417

• Walk On
Riley was limited to what non-JUCO's he could transfer too. I believe I saw Charlotte and 2 FCS schools were not restricted. My guess is the real-world put things in perspective, he grew up, hit JUCO and then Memphis with something to prove. Good for the kid.

Exactly. Olsen had Greg here, and our stadium was built because of his boss. Kevin was as talented as they come out of high school, and with the Panther ties, it was almost a no brainer. Riley could have turned into the same type problematic person, but great for him for getting his life turned around.  I hate Kevin didn't work out, but hindsight is 20/20.

jdub49er

• Walk On
It wasn't apples to apples.  Kevin had been kicked out of 2 schools.  Riley was likely slated to be the starter at Tenn.
His brother and good friend were receivers on the team that could vouch for his character.  His high school football coach knows our coaches.  Also, Kevin had JUCO #'s that didn't look impressive so there were already signs that he wasn't living up to the high school hype.---

chidave

• Junior
Stylistically Riley fit Mullen's system better as well. He has more mobility and throws a good deep ball. I would like to run over Mullen's system with our Charlotte Football concrete truck, but someone like Riley could more than likely make it work.

jdub49er

• Walk On
Unfortunately our 49ers concrete truck sent 4 people to the hospital today on HWY 49.- Not a joke.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Unfortunately our 49ers concrete truck sent 4 people to the hospital today on HWY 49.- Not a joke.

Was Mullen driving it?
Mahna Mahna

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior

Was Mullen driving it?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor

Was Mullen driving it?

So he can't coordinate one of these drives either. 
Mahna Mahna

Niner National

• Athletic Director

Was Mullen driving it?

So he can't coordinate one of these drives either.
This chain of messages is gold 😂

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
 clt misses Riley and beans.

919R

• Head Coach

Exactly. Olsen had Greg here, and our stadium was built because of his boss. Kevin was as talented as they come out of high school, and with the Panther ties, it was almost a no brainer. Riley could have turned into the same type problematic person, but great for him for getting his life turned around.  I hate Kevin didn't work out, but hindsight is 20/20.

This! People are acting like Kevin had no (or less) talent. Olsen was very highly rated as well----in fact, I think he may have been even rated higher than RF in some rankings (different seasons though).

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Yet another Niner commandment : When choosing between talented but troubled players, Niners select the loser.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Yet another Niner commandment : When choosing between talented but troubled players, Niners select the loser.

Perhaps we should have taken them both.  Until we start going to bowl games we are those beggars that cannot be choosers.
#unc-CHeatingPays

ghostofclt

• Sophomore

Perhaps we should have taken them both.  Until we start going to bowl games we are those beggars that cannot be choosers.

clt says why not both?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos