Author Topic: Former Butler (NC) & Tennessee QB Riley Ferguson transferring to Charlotte?  (Read 75266 times)

zerogeneticsdc

• Assistant Coach
VolNation is not the best forum for TN news -- I joined when I went to UT because it was free and quickly lost interest. Way to much fluff and attitude with no real news (way to set the standard, NNN!) The best ones are the pay-for sites (VolQuest was one of the founding "pay for sports news" websites with a very successful forum). Point being I wouldn't put a ton of stock in the opinions there...

Second thing - Ferguson would be a HUGE land for us. I could see why he might be unhappy. Joshua Dobbs played last year and is in Riley's class (burned redshirt). Joshua was recruited last minute by Butch Jones and dropped his commitment to Arizona State. He's a more mobile QB, which seems to fit Jones style better than a pro-style QB (like Woley or Ferguson). He's also a superstar of sorts in the classroom (engineering student, memorized high school playbook in 1-day, etc.) and has captured the fan base and media. Coach speak pointed to Riley playing last year when Worley and his backup (Peterman) went down with injuries, but Riley was injured and unable to play. Regarding the transfer, Jones also back peddled in what he had to say a few days later -- saying that he didn't expect Riley to be on team rather than that he was in fact leaving.

Just wanted to provide some backstory that you guys may not have. I understand he's a good kid. This would be an unbelievable land for us -- many in Vol nation felt he would eventually win out the job, potentially this season. As a Vol fan and alum I was sad to hear he was probably going to leave. However, hearing that he may land in Charlotte if he does transfer elated me. This kids upside is HUGE.
The University of Charlotte? I think so.

Representing Niner Nation on Rocky Top since 2010.

Submarley734

• Senior
So have we heard anything. Previous quotes said there would be a decision made Monday. That's today. Anything?

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
So have we heard anything. Previous quotes said there would be a decision made Monday. That's today. Anything?

Nothing new, but I am sure that our staff is being careful to not make a move until UT has given Riley his release.

Several UT fans seem fairly confident in the source that mentioned Uriah Lemay as a major reason for Riley's possible transfer to Charlotte, and to add a little fuel to that rumor, Uriah has recently posted a couple of pics and videos of he and Riley together from their time at Butler. He posted this one on the day that the news of Riley's transfer became public.

cltniners

clt has a hot take.

This is a big get for the program, and we are going to lock up local players. Not good for other d1 schools in the state. And appy.

HighFlying49er

• Sophomore
  • BSCE 2004, FSL Owner
Hope you're right, CLT. 

I'd love to see him here, and to lock up local talent.  Let the Heels and HappyAppy hold practices here, so they can watch our future players!  8)

#StateOfCharlotte

• Walk On
Still nothing for sure on the Riley front. Nobody will confirm or deny the possibility of him coming to Charlotte. Not sure if it involves any issues (Paperwork)with him still leaving Tennessee or him applying and enrolling into Charlotte summer classes. When Uriah transferred I knew the night he left GA but couldn't go public until he got accepted at Charlotte.   

Riley Ferguson's brother and Uriah are both major factors in bringing Riley back to Charlotte. Sounds likely from talking to people around but nothing is confirmed or imminent. Haven't even been able to get timeline on his future. Riley didn't care for Tennessee, he was committed to Derek Dooley staff and remained loyal even as the new staff of Butch Jones took over last season.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Hope you're right, CLT. 

I'd love to see him here, and to lock up local talent.  Let the Heels and HappyAppy hold practices here, so they can watch our future players!  8)

:)) :)) :))
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

HighFlying49er

• Sophomore
  • BSCE 2004, FSL Owner
Riley Ferguson's brother and Uriah are both major factors in bringing Riley back to Charlotte. Sounds likely from talking to people around but nothing is confirmed or imminent. Haven't even been able to get timeline on his future. Riley didn't care for Tennessee, he was committed to Derek Dooley staff and remained loyal even as the new staff of Butch Jones took over last season.

At least one poster on VN cited that as the reason Riley left.  Everyone else seems to be sucking sour grapes, which indicates they'd rather had him than see him go.

I really want to see this kid here, but only if he is happy and truly enjoys it.  It bodes well for us that he has a set of eyes and ears in the program with his brother, who appears happy enough to invite Riley to enjoy our future successes as well.

chidave

• Junior
The offensive philosophy changed dramatically under Butch Jones. UT went from a prolific passing attack, to a spread option scheme, that was not very good (to put it mildly). If he went there expecting to play in Chaney's (the previous OC) offense, I can see where he wouldn't be happy with what is there now.

It would be so huge for this program if he came back, we'll have two elite talents that left the area but decided to return home. If their experience is good here, it could be a launching pad for future recruiting.

I'm trying not to get too excited until it's official, but not succeeding  :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:16:10 pm by chidave »

chidave

• Junior
No new news really in this article (except how high they are on Ferguson's talent), but here's some more background on the Ferguson situation from Tennessee's Scout site.

http://tennessee.scout.com/2/1406492.html

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
we would have him for four seasons. i like the sound of that.

919R

• Head Coach
Thats not what the article says.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
No new news really in this article (except how high they are on Ferguson's talent), but here's some more background on the Ferguson situation from Tennessee's Scout site.

http://tennessee.scout.com/2/1406492.html

Nice to hear that Alabama (and L'ville) were making "last ditch" efforts to recruit him.  So it appears we can't redshirt him and he would be playing next season?

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior

Misses a season if he transfers to an FBS school.  The beauty of coming to Charlotte vs. other options.

NormsNinerNation

• Freshman
If he comes here he will more than likely have to sit out a year
#StateOfCharlotte

Jimmyhat49er

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach

Misses a season if he transfers to an FBS school.  The beauty of coming to Charlotte vs. other options.

Unfortunetely not the case.  Players transferring here now have to sit out a year, see Manley.
If your not a 49er club member, NOW is the time to join.

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior

Unfortunetely not the case.  Players transferring here now have to sit out a year, see Manley.

My bad.  So the only way to get 4 years is if he gets a waiver which seems unlikely at this point.

Jimmyhat49er

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach

My bad.  So the only way to get 4 years is if he gets a waiver which seems unlikely at this point.

Correct.  Hopefully he has a sick relative in town.

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly

Technically he would be here for four years... only eligible to play for the final three
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

Submarley734

• Senior
So since there's no news on this kid coming here for a few days, I'm assuming no news is bad news in this situation.

#StateOfCharlotte

• Walk On
So since there's no news on this kid coming here for a few days, I'm assuming no news is bad news in this situation.

Still in good shape from what I know. Nothing solid yet but waiting on clearance from all the paperwork. Nothing from any coaches at Charlotte but talking with family and friends Charlotte is definitely in strong consideration and we have two strong recruiters in Uriah and his brother Zach. 

KSNiner

• Walk On
Any more info or too soon? :)

Jimmyhat49er

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
He is not coming here.  Time to move on.

919R

• Head Coach

WTH?

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach

what is your source?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos