Author Topic: Issues that Should not Exist but do Because Charlotte AD \_(ツ)_/  (Read 63643 times)

SteauA

• Senior
I thought it would be fun to amass a list of things we notice in our interaction with Charlotte 49ers athletics.  By "things" I mean the sort of things that should not be issues but because our AD is what it is, happen to be issues for us because WE R CHARLOTTE!

I realize some may take offense to this thread but I am simply trying to have fun with this stuff because let's be honest here, things are probably not going to change for a while and making fun of stuff is more fun than complaining about it constantly.

For a little background on me, I just moved back to Charlotte in March of this year after living in Dallas for 2.5 years.  Glad to be back! I am a proud owner of two football and men's basketball season tickets for myself and the lady friend.  Made it to all the football games and 3/3 on basketball so far.

I'll start it off:

- The box office printed our names wrong on our season ticket cards (put the last name of the couple that we have season tickets with) even though we specifically instructed them not to because we had a feeling they would screw it up.

- The ketchup dispenser in the concourse at Halton is filled with BBQ sauce, not ketchup.  Both dispensers.  For all three games so far.

- Section 216 at Hatlon (where our season tix are) is marked wrong on the aisle stairs.  A little bit hard to explain but basically, each railing in between the sections has a sign with the number of the corresponding section showing in the direction of that section.  Well, Section 216 is apparently both section 215 and 216 according to those signs.  And section 215 is apparently both section 215 and 214.  How do you screw that up? There are big plates on the wall behind each section clearly specifying the section?

- We do a memorial video tribute to coach Phil Ratliff at the halftime of the Marshall game and 75% of the video is inaudible because our audio is a complete joke and has been for as long as I can remember at every single sporting venue we have. 

- Our men's basketball "hype" intro video.  No context needed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:50:44 am by SteauA »

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Great points.  I will point out apparently IMG took care of the tickets so I think that part lays at their feet.  Also as far as sound goes I have no idea why but we can't get decent sound guys at anything.  I eman we play a clip at basketball with Price talking and I can't understand a word of what he is saying. 
Mahna Mahna

woodniner

• Sophomore
I thought it was unusual that Judy watched the whole basketball game last night instead of going to the NCAA soccer game last night.  Soccer has been our most successful team over the past several years and you would think the AD would be there to support the team when they are hosting a NCAA game.

I was at the basketball game and she did not leave till the end.  She probably went to the soccer game afterward, but there was only 6 mins left when the bball game was over.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
I thought it was unusual that Judy watched the whole basketball game last night instead of going to the NCAA soccer game last night.  Soccer has been our most successful team over the past several years and you would think the AD would be there to support the team when they are hosting a NCAA game.

I was at the basketball game and she did not leave till the end.  She probably went to the soccer game afterward, but there was only 6 mins left when the bball game was over.

In all honesty, I think many folks would say the same thing if she'd gone to the soccer game instead of MBB.

At least she actually attended a game, you know?
DUCK FAVIDSON

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Steua, does your lady friend have a lady friend? :))

Maybe they get confused with red sauces in the food area.   :p
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Many of the problems you listed seem to be the responsibilities of other parties, not the AD specifically. (ketchup dispensers, ticket printing, etc.) So it's not entirely their fault.

That said, they aren't free of blame because these are the sorts of things that they COULD care more about and make sure things get done right. It's not a priority for them, for whatever reason.

They don't have any direct control over the ketchup dispensers being filled with actual ketchup, but someone could make a point to contact the right people continually until the problem gets resolved. Instead we get \_(ツ)_/
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN

In all honesty, I think many folks would say the same thing if she'd gone to the soccer game instead of MBB.

At least she actually attended a game, you know?

This. I mean, I would have gone to the soccer game because it's the tournament, but people would complain either way.

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Most of the press releases on Charlotte49ers.com read like they were composed by a standard-level 9th grade English student.  Awkward phrasing, run-on sentences, and all around poor mechanics - it's a total joke.  Also, whoever runs the Twitter account during games does a terrible job.

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; its been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

SteauA

• Senior
Many of the problems you listed seem to be the responsibilities of other parties, not the AD specifically. (ketchup dispensers, ticket printing, etc.) So it's not entirely their fault.

That said, they aren't free of blame because these are the sorts of things that they COULD care more about and make sure things get done right. It's not a priority for them, for whatever reason.

They don't have any direct control over the ketchup dispensers being filled with actual ketchup, but someone could make a point to contact the right people continually until the problem gets resolved. Instead we get \_(ツ)_/

I'm glad you said that.  I realize that it is not all stuff that they directly control however if it happening under their roof, they have SOME sort of control over what is happening.

As for the last comment: I could say something but they would find a way to screw up even more just like I was proactive in making sure my tickets actually had my name on it and then they still got it wrong.  Some of this stuff is just pointless.  If I walk over to the folks working the Bojangles stand and tell them they have bbq sauce in their ketchup dispenser do you really thing something would get done? I doubt it, so what's the point?  But it's fun to make fun of it regardless, in other words, the exact point of this thread!

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:33 pm

I actually laughed out loud at this and I'm not sure why.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 02:00:58 pm

I did too.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 02:02:09 pm

I'm glad you said that.  I realize that it is not all stuff that they directly control however if it happening under their roof, they have SOME sort of control over what is happening.

As for the last comment: I could say something but they would find a way to screw up even more just like I was proactive in making sure my tickets actually had my name on it and then they still got it wrong.  Some of this stuff is just pointless.  If I walk over to the folks working the Bojangles stand and tell them they have bbq sauce in their ketchup dispenser do you really thing something would get done? I doubt it, so what's the point?  But it's fun to make fun of it regardless, in other words, the exact point of this thread!
If you don't walk over and tell, its for sure nothing will be done. Since we are griping about things other people do wrong.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 02:10:31 pm
So I contribute enough to get a "free" pregame meal for basketball. Up until last year, they very kindly sent out a menu with what would be served at each game. Very helpful, in case you don't want to eat what they have, you can grab your pregame meal elsewhere. That's all good. Last year and this, they gave out the menus at the first home game. Well, I was out of town for the Elon game. I asked last night about getting one and was told "I have one on my desk. I can run you a copy". That was the last I heard of it, so I sent an email reminder this morning, which has not been replied to. Would it be so hard to walk over to your office, which is on the same floor, and get me a copy. Would it be so hard to, just maybe, provide the menus for the first two or three games in case people have conflicts? Would it be so hard to reply to my email, even if it is Friday?

Like I say, I contribute enough to get the meal. God knows how they treat those who don't.

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 02:25:35 pm

I did too.
That sweatshirt is the perfect symbolism of 2.6 decades. 
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; its been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

jdub49er

• Walk On
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 02:32:58 pm
I would like to add football jerseys with #'s that can't be ready due to a black outline.  Especially embarrassing when TV commentators have no idea what the #'s are. Seems important enough to correct after the very first game on TV where it was pointed out over and over.
And I would like to double down on the sound problems.  Extremely embarrassing.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 02:34:49 pm
Most of the press releases on Charlotte49ers.com read like they were composed by a standard-level 9th grade English student.  Awkward phrasing, run-on sentences, and all around poor mechanics - it's a total joke.  Also, whoever runs the Twitter account during games does a terrible job.
Sadly, you are correct. I've encountered lousy writing on other schools' websites as well, almost as if they aspire to someday write for Observer sports.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:39:22 pm by 4ever niner »

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 02:44:03 pm
Sadly, you are correct. I've encountered lousy writing on other schools' websites as well, almost as if they aspire to someday write for Observer sports.

Try out the writing over at StateOfCharlotte.com!!!!

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 02:50:37 pm
I generally don't complain much other than about the teams sucking but I thought botching the Ratliffe tribute was shameful.  Absolutely shameful.
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 03:01:49 pm
- Despite the university making a large effort in updating all the signs on campus with the slightly modernized "UNC Charlotte" font and crown logo, the bench chairs in Halton still have the old logo:

- We advertise everything around athletics as Charlotte only with no mention of UNC anywhere yet our chairs that can be clearly seen on TV and by all visiting teams and our own players and coaches every game, say "UNC Charlotte".

- We are the only school in C-USA that still has the old C-USA logo painted on the football field.

- We have one person in charge of what seems like 4 or 5 different Twitter accounts.  I realize this is common place at a lot of companies/universities etc. but it is not common place to have different accounts post the exact same tweets at the exact same time.  Pointless.

- Our old athletic logos (see my sig and avatar) are better than our current ones.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:06:03 pm by SteauA »

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 03:03:53 pm
awful (not a strong enough word) commercials
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 03:10:27 pm
awful (not a strong enough word) commercials
I think that is actually the fault of the school, not the AD. The school provides the marketing videos. For whatever reason, they thought Norm looking like an idiot would be the best option. I think it was one situation where we were trying to be too cool or edgy for our own good.

truninersfan

• Sophomore
Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 03:21:43 pm
So I contribute enough to get a "free" pregame meal for basketball. Up until last year, they very kindly sent out a menu with what would be served at each game. Very helpful, in case you don't want to eat what they have, you can grab your pregame meal elsewhere. That's all good. Last year and this, they gave out the menus at the first home game. Well, I was out of town for the Elon game. I asked last night about getting one and was told "I have one on my desk. I can run you a copy". That was the last I heard of it, so I sent an email reminder this morning, which has not been replied to. Would it be so hard to walk over to your office, which is on the same floor, and get me a copy. Would it be so hard to, just maybe, provide the menus for the first two or three games in case people have conflicts? Would it be so hard to reply to my email, even if it is Friday?

Like I say, I contribute enough to get the meal. God knows how they treat those who don't.

I have a menu if you need one ill send it over to you

niner94life

• Walk On
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 03:23:49 pm
The marketing videos are so bad they make Bobby at Morris Jenkins look like a genius. 

Buckle up Mister Jinkins!!!!

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:33 pm
- Despite the university making a large effort in updating all the signs on campus with the slightly modernized "UNC Charlotte" font and crown logo, the bench chairs in Halton still have the old logo.

I actually just pointed this out to my wife. That logo was updated in 2007 or 2008, so 7 or 8 years ago. And they still have not bought chairs with the new logo. (Or worse, they did buy new chairs but with the old logo.)

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos