Author Topic: Marshall Postgame  (Read 6566 times)

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 06:12:51 pm
I know it is popular on this board to crap all over CUSA basketball but I've watched many of the games this season and there are some talented players in the conference and teams that are playing more competitive basketball. The middle of the conference has gotten better (see Marshall and Rice). The non-conference record wasn't pretty but the truth is most P5 teams won't come play in CUSA arenas. It is hard to win on the road in college basketball period. The Big East and the A10 benefit some from geography because they are in higher density areas and are closer to better basketball programs thus can schedule a few more higher profile non-conference games at home. I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig but CUSA basketball isn't as horrible as some make it out to be. The 2016-2017 hasn't been great for any mid-major conference.

The 24th RPI ranking wasn't just assigned, it was earned.. CUSA is a really terrible hoops league by virtually measurable you can find.

Whether we are in the 24th, 23rd, or even the 19th or 18th ranked conference doesn't mean s*** when we finish in the lower half of the conference.  The bottom line is we suck.  I doubt there is much difference in us and the 10th place team in the 22nd ranked conference or the 10th place team in the 26th ranked conference, whoever they might be.  They suck too, just like us. 

We are one of the reasons our conference rpi is as bad as it is.
right but his point is that we are a terrible team even in a terrible league, not that the league is holding us back. It just further highlights how awful we truly are.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 06:19:20 pm
This was a bad lost. You had a 14 point lead against a Marshall team that was 3&11 on the road.

Who is worse on defense Charlotte or Marshall?

Surprised the Niners didn't use the zone some. It worked well against WKU.

I can't understand how Garvin, your best athlete over 6-3, plays only 8 minutes. That makes no sense???
I'm assuming that is why Benas didn't get on the court. Cause his lack of athletic ability.And you know who plays 19 minutes.

Good to see QJ have a good game. He has struggled.

Bad decision to shoot a three, down four with 22 seconds left.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 07:56:14 pm
Our team is running like a well oiled machine.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 08:14:16 pm
I know it is popular on this board to crap all over CUSA basketball but I've watched many of the games this season and there are some talented players in the conference and teams that are playing more competitive basketball. The middle of the conference has gotten better (see Marshall and Rice). The non-conference record wasn't pretty but the truth is most P5 teams won't come play in CUSA arenas. It is hard to win on the road in college basketball period. The Big East and the A10 benefit some from geography because they are in higher density areas and are closer to better basketball programs thus can schedule a few more higher profile non-conference games at home. I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig but CUSA basketball isn't as horrible as some make it out to be. The 2016-2017 hasn't been great for any mid-major conference.

The 24th RPI ranking wasn't just assigned, it was earned.. CUSA is a really terrible hoops league by virtually measurable you can find.

Whether we are in the 24th, 23rd, or even the 19th or 18th ranked conference doesn't mean s*** when we finish in the lower half of the conference.  The bottom line is we suck.  I doubt there is much difference in us and the 10th place team in the 22nd ranked conference or the 10th place team in the 26th ranked conference, whoever they might be.  They suck too, just like us. 

We are one of the reasons our conference rpi is as bad as it is.
right but his point is that we are a terrible team even in a terrible league, not that the league is holding us back. It just further highlights how awful we truly are.

Correct.  I knew what his point was and I was agreeing with him.  We suck.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Wingate49erFan

• Sophomore
Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 09:04:40 pm
Until Price gets his teams playing decent defense we won't be a good program. We have enough scoring. We don't have a guy to block shots, but we are playing matador defense anyway. The biggest thing this team needs is to develop and little pride and heart and play with some grit and toughness.
Got Lutz?

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 09:08:36 pm
We are not good... nor are we terribly close to being even CUSA good.

Our talent is lacking, even for a terrible CUSA..We are MANY pieces away from being good in the 24th best league in the country.. I'm not sure which part of that is more embarrassing.

Our execution is poor. We still struggle with some of the most basic fundamentals... watch this team attempt to play D.. not good

Our recruiting is.... well, non existent. Following guys on Twitter is great.. but close the deal on a kid for crying out loud.

I didn't think it possible, but we are in much worse shape as a program than we were after Alan Majors 2nd season. We need Price and staff to flip the switch soon.

The part that really kills me is there is not one thing going on with this program that excites me, or even gives me a glimmer of hope.

we have a good core but we lack an inside game. it doesnt take a lot to go from 10th. to first in the conference. davis is the best player in the league, imo and white and ajukwa are solid. we are one good big from being contenders.
One good big could make any team in this conference a contender. Davis & Ajukwa are the only good players on this team

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 09:38:13 pm
Our team is running like a well oiled machine in the wrong direction.

Fixed that for ya.

cltniners

Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 06:14:07 am
clt says the failing 49er bball team needs to play more beans.

Sad.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 06:42:23 am
Before the season we knew one tournament mattered. We have at least clinched a spot for that tournament. Our hopes and dreams are still alive.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 07:49:06 am
Enough of the negativity.  I think we run the table in the CUSA Tourney and then win 6 in a row in the NCAA. 

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:29 am
Mediocrity? I'd love to be mediocre right now.

I view mediocre as a team with a winning record that has no signature wins.

We are a bad team. The worst I've seen in 12 years of watching niner basketball.

Jon Davis is the best player to wear a Niner uniform in the last 12 years. Add some serviceable big men and we would be top four in the conference.

UTEP is 4th in conf and has a Kenpom of 210.

This seems to be the attitude of some people on this board here, "Well Jon Davis is great... all we need is  some big men... some depth... someone who can coach defense..."

Well that's a lot of things to add just to crack the top 200 teams in college basketball.

I can't make this clear enough. This is not mediocrity, this is an all time low. Major would not have gotten this kind of optimism and he had far more players and actual signature wins - and he still rightfully got canned because he sucked.

If this is the kind of college basketball that you feel "ok," or "mediocre" with then go be a fan of ECU.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 08:50:17 am

We are a bad team. The worst I've seen in 12 years of watching niner basketball.

Jon Davis is the best player to wear a Niner uniform in the last 12 years. Add some serviceable big men and we would be top four in the conference.

Major would not have gotten this kind of optimism and he had far more players and actual signature wins - and he still rightfully got canned because he sucked.

Correct.  Major was rightfully canned after 5 years.  And yes, 2 years later, we still suck.  If Price does not work out, I shudder at the thought of Judy and Phil picking a replacement.  But for now, the best we can do is hope Price starts turning things around next year.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 08:58:46 am

Major would not have gotten this kind of optimism and he had far more players and actual signature wins - and he still rightfully got canned because he sucked.

Correct.  Major was rightfully canned after 5 years.  And yes, 2 years later, we still suck.  If Price does not work out, I shudder at the thought of Judy and Phil picking a replacement.  But for now, the best we can do is hope Price starts turning things around next year.

My hope is that Price can turn this thing around obviously, but if he doesn't I hope that the next hire happens after the capital campaign is over and Phil and Judy are hopefully out.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 09:00:53 am
Our team is running like a well oiled machine in the wrong direction.

Fixed that for ya.
Ha!  My comment was a little sarcasm mocking something else recently described as a "well oiled machine" It was in the news.

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 09:03:51 am
I hate to pile on but this is therapy.  We are terrible and our conference is terrible.  This has got to get better, right?  I don't mean this year but in the next 2-4 years. 

What does a college basketball fan do during the years your favorite team sucks?  Do you ignore basketball?  Pick a 2nd favorite?  Watch with no opinion.  This is awful.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 09:28:44 am
I hate to pile on but this is therapy.  We are terrible and our conference is terrible.  This has got to get better, right?  I don't mean this year but in the next 2-4 years. 

What does a college basketball fan do during the years your favorite team sucks?  Do you ignore basketball?  Pick a 2nd favorite?  Watch with no opinion.  This is awful.
I've debated this too. I still went to nearly every home game this year to support them but did sport my Make the Niners Great Again hat as a form of protest for how poorly they've played.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 10:17:14 am
We are not good... nor are we terribly close to being even CUSA good.

Our talent is lacking, even for a terrible CUSA..We are MANY pieces away from being good in the 24th best league in the country.. I'm not sure which part of that is more embarrassing.

Our execution is poor. We still struggle with some of the most basic fundamentals... watch this team attempt to play D.. not good

Our recruiting is.... well, non existent. Following guys on Twitter is great.. but close the deal on a kid for crying out loud.

I didn't think it possible, but we are in much worse shape as a program than we were after Alan Majors 2nd season. We need Price and staff to flip the switch soon.

The part that really kills me is there is not one thing going on with this program that excites me, or even gives me a glimmer of hope.

i agree - I also think Major had the benefit of Bobby's players sticking around.  I understand why they let Major's players go, but think it would have been good for the program to keep them around 1 season.
Had we forced them to stay and price had 1.5 classes to recruit, our bigs this season would still be Aube and Benas.

Question is with more talent on the roster could he have landed some bigs.
we had no issues with guard talent LATE last year.  He still failed.

Fixed that for you. Most of that talent was BRAND new to the team last year and young. We were much better in January-February last year once he had time to work with them. This season, with Joe in the lineup we would have been much improved IMO. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:08 pm
Early to mid-January was last year's best period. Results got worse in February and March, if you take opponent quality into account.  In Jan., we had two so-so home wins against Marshall and WKU, and 3 close losses to decent teams: Latech (by 3 in OT), MTSU (by 1) and UAB (by 2). We then closed the month with an awful loss at FAU and didn't beat another decent team (UTEP was our best win at rpi 215, the rest of our wins were to teams rpi 279 and worse, and we also had another awful loss to N. Texas). It's weird to think about it, but our win against Furman in November was the third best win all year. I'd agree that the team was mostly worse in Nov. - Dec., but I think the team declined again after January, only it didn't look like we were playing worse because we started playing a bunch of really bad teams.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 01:13:12 pm

My hope is that Price can turn this thing around obviously, but if he doesn't I hope that the next hire happens after the capital campaign is over and Phil and Judy are hopefully out.

I agree with you 100%.  I dread the thought of Phil and Judy hiring another coach before they leave.

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 03:43:18 pm

I've debated this too. I still went to nearly every home game this year to support them but did sport my Make the Niners Great Again hat as a form of protest for how poorly they've played.

Love the hat.  Another thing, it sucks to see Davidson and ECU on TV quite a bit and we are never on.  Of course, that may be blessing.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 07:57:05 pm
I don't recall anyone hating the Price hire, so even if things don't get turned around, I recall the Price hire was something most everyone was on board with.  His lack of experience was the obvious question mark, but otherwise, he seemed like a worthy risk with his name.

If the next coach is hired by a new regime, we'll be lucky if it's someone worth a damn.  We're in the mid-200's and in one of the worst conferences.  If Price gets canned, it''l be because we got even worse.  You know all those schools that could have been considered a stepping stone to us a few years ago?  Yeah, those programs are on par or better than us nowadays. We have to hope our size, facilities, and Halton arena will still make us seems like a step up.  I'm not so sure all that outweighs our national irrelevance as much as we need, though. 

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 11:47:19 pm
I don't recall anyone hating the Price hire, so even if things don't get turned around, I recall the Price hire was something most everyone was on board with.  His lack of experience was the obvious question mark, but otherwise, he seemed like a worthy risk with his name.

If the next coach is hired by a new regime, we'll be lucky if it's someone worth a damn.  We're in the mid-200's and in one of the worst conferences.  If Price gets canned, it''l be because we got even worse.  You know all those schools that could have been considered a stepping stone to us a few years ago?  Yeah, those programs are on par or better than us nowadays. We have to hope our size, facilities, and Halton arena will still make us seems like a step up.  I'm not so sure all that outweighs our national irrelevance as much as we need, though.
We still pay $500k a year to our head basketball coach, that helps our case.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Ruckus42

• Junior
Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 06:11:52 am
Price just doesn't have a lot of charisma. I can see that being a problem with recruiting.
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

cltniners

Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:57 am
clt says we need to hire an assistant coach from a big 10 school. Preferably someone with good history coaching big men.

cltniners

Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:46 am

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos