Author Topic: Post your emails to the AD here:  (Read 11050 times)

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #100 on: March 26, 2017, 02:20:31 pm
I haven't sent it yet, but I do have a few thoughts.

• Section 104 had people in it again this season.  It is not full, and it is not enthusiastic, but it is not empty.  Thank you for that.
  • We may have the worst sweat wipers in college basketball.  When we have people under the basket to clean up wet spots they are typically too young to understand their role, but sometimes just too disengaged to know that they are needed.  This is first a safety issue and our team certainly cannot afford any sweat-related injuries, but when the ref has to get a towel and clean the floor we are not doing our job.  Perhaps we should hire less ShowPro staff to guard empty seats and spend a few dollars on sweat remediation.
  • At half-time we show our 40 year old run to the Final Four.  It is our highlight and we may never get there again, but when you have seen it a hundred times you no longer pay attention.  Since basketball has no recent highlights perhaps we could show some from other sports.  Call it cross-marketing.
  • Games against Division II teams are exhibitions.  Stop pretending that they are not, and stop making me pay for them as if they count.
  • Your best donors are in the pre-game hospitality suites and when we give our attention to an assistant coach that either has no insight into the game we are about to play, or no ability to muster more than three sentences about the game plan it makes us wonder--are you the right guy for the job, or do you just have somewhere better to be than talking to us?
  • The DJ has been a fun addition.  More 80s Funk!  Mother's Finest, The Gap Band, Rick James.  Students are not paying attention anyway, so we might as well make me happy.
  • Next year skip the half-time mascot game.  Instead let's have special cheer guests--the Topcats, Honey Bees, Checkmates, KnightinGals, Foxes, and of course the FIU Golden Dazzlers.
  • WIN!
In reference to the "sweat remediaters" , I could not agree more. Embarrassing, and more to the point, dangerous.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #101 on: March 27, 2017, 07:55:47 am

• Section 104 had people in it again this season.  It is not full, and it is not enthusiastic, but it is not empty.  Thank you for that.
  • We may have the worst sweat wipers in college basketball.  When we have people under the basket to clean up wet spots they are typically too young to understand their role, but sometimes just too disengaged to know that they are needed.  This is first a safety issue and our team certainly cannot afford any sweat-related injuries, but when the ref has to get a towel and clean the floor we are not doing our job.  Perhaps we should hire less ShowPro staff to guard empty seats and spend a few dollars on sweat remediation.
  • At half-time we show our 40 year old run to the Final Four.  It is our highlight and we may never get there again, but when you have seen it a hundred times you no longer pay attention.  Since basketball has no recent highlights perhaps we could show some from other sports.  Call it cross-marketing.
  • Games against Division II teams are exhibitions.  Stop pretending that they are not, and stop making me pay for them as if they count.
  • Your best donors are in the pre-game hospitality suites and when we give our attention to an assistant coach that either has no insight into the game we are about to play, or no ability to muster more than three sentences about the game plan it makes us wonder--are you the right guy for the job, or do you just have somewhere better to be than talking to us?
  • The DJ has been a fun addition.  More 80s Funk!  Mother's Finest, The Gap Band, Rick James.  Students are not paying attention anyway, so we might as well make me happy.
  • Next year skip the half-time mascot game.  Instead let's have special cheer guests--the Topcats, Honey Bees, Checkmates, KnightinGals, Foxes, and of course the FIU Golden Dazzlers.
  • WIN!
Sect 104 is for students who would rather sit down and be quiet rather than cheer. Although one can argue that is all the students except the group I sit with, we always stand are try to be as loud as possible.
Funny, but several times we've been told by other students and athletes who play other sports to sit down in the student section. Needless to say we told them to move or deal with it.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #102 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:58 am
Sect 104 is for students who would rather sit down and be quiet rather than cheer. Although one can argue that is all the students except the group I sit with, we always stand are try to be as loud as possible.
Funny, but several times we've been told by other students and athletes who play other sports to sit down in the student section. Needless to say we told them to move or deal with it.

That's insane. When I graduated (wow, 7 years ago) everyone in 104 stood at least part of the game, sometimes most or all of the game. And at that point we had still been 5 years removed from the tournament.

Things are supposed to get better with time, not worse =(

Back then I thought this was a beginning of a era of school pride and once we got back to success it would skyrocket. So much for that. We used to haggle anyone who wore any other school gear. Now I could see why they would. So depressing.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #103 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:48 am

That's insane. When I graduated (wow, 7 years ago) everyone in 104 stood at least part of the game, sometimes most or all of the game. And at that point we had still been 5 years removed from the tournament.

Back then I thought this was a beginning of a era of school pride and once we got back to success it would skyrocket. So much for that. We used to haggle anyone who wore any other school gear. Now I could see why they would. So depressing.
Well when you went here that entire side was the student section. Now it's behind the baskets, but they've opened up Sect 104 to students to fill it.
The incident with other athletes telling us to sit down was actually behind one of the baskets last year.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #104 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:04 am
Anyone get this response from the chancellor?

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #105 on: March 28, 2017, 11:15:23 am

Well when you went here that entire side was the student section. Now it's behind the baskets, but they've opened up Sect 104 to students to fill it.
The incident with other athletes telling us to sit down was actually behind one of the baskets last year.

I think that was an awful idea. I also went to Mississippi State, and they switched to that right before I started. I hadn't been to a bulldogs game before that, but it really split things up there as well. Completely against the idea.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #106 on: November 29, 2017, 11:50:41 am
anyone have handy key email addr's..

The Board of Trustees?

Anyone else you can think of that might merit inclusion.

Here you go... We should prob sticky post these contacts

pdubois@uncc.edu
jwrose@uncc.edu
dspease@uncc.edu
kgwhites@uncc.edu
mjhummer@uncc.edu
tewhites@uncc.edu
nkonawal@uncc.edu

mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com
sfowler@charlotteobserver.com
schisenhall@charlotteobserver.com

Board of Trustees per
https://old.northcarolina.edu/campus_profiles/trustees.php?institution_tag=INST_UNCC

BoardOfTrustees@uncc.edu
StudentBodyPresident@uncc.edu
kpopp@sidley.com
jlprice01@aol.com
laura.a.schulte@wellsfargo.com
cathy_bessant@bankofamerica.com
mbrackett@rbh.com
dlhauser@bellsouth.net
bob.f.hull@lowes.com
dmjamil@dukeenergy.com
maryann.rouse@carolinashealthcare.org
marion.s.sullivan@gmail.com
jmarquez@jahlaw.com

Can a mod please sticky this post with all BOT emails in it to the main page for quick reference?

I'm gonna try to Shawshank some change...it took Andy Dufresne years of writing a letter a day...I wonder how long it will take with emails?

But if this post can be stickied to the main page...it will help keep this info front and center for anyone that gets the urge to send something.

Thanks!
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

fouled_out

• Walk On
Reply #107 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:33 pm
The last email is not correct jmarquez@jahlaw.com.  Mike Wilson has not worked at johnston, allison and hord for two years.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #108 on: November 29, 2017, 09:27:18 pm
FYI....we may need to update this list.  I just sent the Chancellor an email and copied the BOT and got at least 3 returned emails (laura schulte, cathy bessant and bob hull).

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #109 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:18 am
BTW...the jist of my email was:

I basically requested permission to discuss and ask questions to him in regards of the direction of our athletic dept and our school.

I told him that based on other email responses I've seen him give to other people, that I knew he considered the financial contribution level of a person to be the most important factor in determining if a person is worthy enough for him to consider their opinion or engage in discussion.  I asked him to pull my 23 year contribution history and to let me know if I am worthy of more than a condescending "get back in your lane" retort.  I said if so...I would like to engage him with some discussion surrounding our AD and the school.  However, if my contribution levels are deemed unworthy of his time...that I can understand that and respect that and I will not bother him any further.  I just ask that he return my money to me because it is NOT insignificant to me and I will gladly re-direct it to another entity that appreciates it.

I'll let you know the response I get...if any.

gradydavis91

• Walk On
Reply #110 on: November 30, 2017, 11:15:35 am
I have to print the emails out. Please quit sending so many!

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #111 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:28 pm
Body of work didn't sit well with me at all, so:

Help me out on Brad Lambert’s “body of work” argument. Give me some data, please. Here’s what I’m seeing:

17-41 overall
7-29 in the last 3 seasons
4-20 in Conference USA.
1-11 this year
12-13 against non-FBS schools (fcs/d2/d3)
7 of 17 wins against non scholarship fcs, d2 or d3.
Record against teams we beat in 2015 and 2016, then played in 2017:  0-4

Lost to fcs NC AT at home.

Sagarin rating of 195 in 2017. There are 129 FBS programs.

Had worst season yet with roster completely full of FBS recruits.

Worst ranked recruiting class for 2018 per 247 and shunned by local powerhouse High School.

11900 attendance is likely bottom 5 in all of FBS and insufficient for old attendance rules for FBS.

105 our of 129 in penalty yards per game

23% reduction in attendance from season 1

2300 per game lower attendance from last season.

Has had 2 different OCs and DCs yet declines in the program.

Your turn.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

jfickett

• Walk On
Reply #112 on: November 30, 2017, 02:36:24 pm

Help me out on Brad Lambert’s “body of work” argument. Give me some data, please. Here’s what I’m seeing:

17-41 overall
4-20 in Conference USA.
1-11 this year

Worst ranked recruiting class for 2018 per 247 and shunned by local powerhouse High School.

11900 attendance is likely bottom 5 in all of FBS and insufficient for old attendance rules for FBS.

Your turn.

*INFINITY FIRE EMOJIS*

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #113 on: November 30, 2017, 03:22:07 pm

17-41 overall
4-20 in Conference USA.
1-11 this year

Your turn.

EM, this is from 11/6, so we have had a few games since then.  Much like what you have, but these were my findings.

The Lambert Era:
-- Overall 17-38,  31% win ratio
-- FBS 7-26, 21% win ratio
-- Of our 17 wins, only 5 have come against teams with a winning record that year
-- Of our 7 FBS wins, only 2 have come against teams with a winning record that year
-- The teams that we have beaten were a combined 73-192 in that year, having a 38% win ratio
-- Homecoming games - We are 1-4
-- CUSA games 4-17, 19% win ratio

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=35052.msg690983#msg690983
#unc-CHeatingPays

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #114 on: November 30, 2017, 03:26:35 pm
Just got a very long email response from Phil that was actually well thought out with absolutely ZERO attacks or pot shots or sarcasm.

He literally tried to explain his position on everything I pointed out...marketing, branding, name change, the football program, the basketball program, leadership, academic standing, growth...even though it was still mostly excuses and spin.

But...I am truly amazed at the amount of thought and effort he put into his response.

Was not expecting that.

He still just legitimately can't see it all from an "outsiders"...alumni/fan/general public....point of view. 
He just doesn't see it, get it or understand it in any way.
You can tell he thinks like David Dunn tweeted...if the effort is there...what else matters??

Results are literally secondary if the effort is there....and That is the culture that has been built and emanates throughout the entire leadership of the school...effort is good enough.

Unreal.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:05:58 pm by TRLeader »

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #115 on: November 30, 2017, 04:14:06 pm
What does he say about marketing and performance? That's my two main gripes.

mightymitchfan

• Junior
Reply #116 on: November 30, 2017, 04:27:30 pm

• WIN!
In reference to the "sweat remediaters" , I could not agree more. Embarrassing, and more to the point, dangerous.

I was at the Wake/Illinois game Tuesday night and they had support staff stationed behind the kids that got the sweat up when players fell or was something on the court.  Kids just pushed their mops during timeouts.  I think that would be a good way to go.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #117 on: November 30, 2017, 04:50:40 pm
What does he say about marketing and performance? That's my two main gripes.

His response to marketing was, in my opinion, the part that really made me understand that HE is the problem with many of the things we battle today...he said:

They have spent a lot of money on marketing and branding and feels there is always room to improve that.  He thinks the athletic dept name change HURT and made the identity issues worse.  He feels the UNC brand is powerful and important but said he would leave the name change issue for the next chancellor. He suggested we would be better off if the athletic dept went back to using the school name of UNC Charlotte.

As to performance...he basically feels like they did their due diligence in indentifying and hiring the right people...so what else can they do.  He gave excuses about Major (health) and Price (Woods & Dorn transferring)...and that Lambert has shown his willingness to "shake things up" by firing members of his staff in order to make changes.  Basically...they are trying their hardest...that should be enough.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:53:59 pm by TRLeader »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #118 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:14 pm

17-41 overall
4-20 in Conference USA.
1-11 this year

Your turn.

EM, this is from 11/6, so we have had a few games since then.  Much like what you have, but these were my findings.

The Lambert Era:
-- Overall 17-38,  31% win ratio
-- FBS 7-26, 21% win ratio
-- Of our 17 wins, only 5 have come against teams with a winning record that year
-- Of our 7 FBS wins, only 2 have come against teams with a winning record that year
-- The teams that we have beaten were a combined 73-192 in that year, having a 38% win ratio
-- Homecoming games - We are 1-4
-- CUSA games 4-17, 19% win ratio

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=35052.msg690983#msg690983

Things will likely not get any better until he addresses these facts.  If the student athlete experience is the main reason we have athletics, we might as well drop to D3.  My guess is most of those contributing $$$ are doing so because they want us to win.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #119 on: November 30, 2017, 04:54:31 pm

• WIN!

I was at the Wake/Illinois game Tuesday night and they had support staff stationed behind the kids that got the sweat up when players fell or was something on the court.  Kids just pushed their mops during timeouts.  I think that would be a good way to go.

We have done better with this so far this season. Glad they made a change.

BusterC417

• Walk On
Reply #120 on: November 30, 2017, 04:58:02 pm
I am with and against him on the name change. BOTH athletics and academic should have changed. Doing just athletics was kind of dumb. Clouds everything up even worse. But I just don't like the UNC aspect of it. And now I am not sure his point about administrators has merit with the recent allegations against Chapel Hill.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #121 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:04 pm
While the student-athlete experience is important, we need to focus much more on the student experience. The 29,000 people paying for this deserve to have some fun.
#unc-CHeatingPays

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #122 on: November 30, 2017, 06:51:28 pm
I gave my final response to Phil and basically vehemently opposed his contention that we need to embrace the UNC moniker and identity.

I told him I would agree to disagree with his position but I asked that he answer a question that to my knowledge has never been addressed:

How can other UNC system schools like ECU, App St and NC State do so well with an independent identity (without relying on the UNC moniker) and yet we cannot or would not.  Is it because they have better leadership?? 

Curious if I will get an answer on that.....we'll see.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #123 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:24 pm
Board of Trustees,

I just wanted to tell you all I saw the Fire Judy Rose campaign on the news.

I have some concerns.  Phil stated that alums have "an incomplete understanding of building or running an athletics program."  My concern is that I really don't think Phil finds this to be an issue at all.

Phil states in emails that Judy is not responsible for the wins and losses of our revenue sports, the marketing of our teams, ticket sales, or the 49er club.  May I ask then, what exactly is her job?  What is she actually held accountable for?  I must have an incomplete understanding.  In my view, all of those things are her direct responsibilities.

The 49er club makes less money today than in 2006, despite football, regular economic inflation, mandatory donations associated with FSLs, as well as the growth of our University, and the growth of the city of Charlotte in general.

Athletics is a wonderful avenue to market, and share our University with the world.  We need to start treating it as such.  Phil taking jabs at people that care is unproductive.

Finally, when you speak to Phil, he keeps referring to this movement as "a small group of fans."  At some point, somebody must wake Phil up to reality.  This has gotten significantly larger than a small group of fans.  I think Phil is among a small group that still thinks this isn't a problem.

Students deserve return on their investment with student fees, and currently they have no face or voice.  I am glad the student paper spoke up.

Thanks, and Go Niners,

NJNiner12

• Walk On
Reply #124 on: December 01, 2017, 02:24:42 pm

I will respond to the men's basketball program question since I don't think I could convince you about football (but there are parallels even though men's basketball is hardly a start up).  Some of my response below I've pasted from some things I've said to others, so I apologize if this is not completely original 

Judy Rose was the person who hired Melvin Watkins and then Bobby Lutz; she could be given credit for the many good years the program experienced under those two coaches but  was not responsible for the downturn in that program.  Could we have pulled the plug sooner on Lutz when that success was not continuing?  Perhaps, but we did want to give Bobby credit for his past success and the time necessary to see if he could get it started back in the right direction. 

When we decided we  had to make a coaching change, she picked someone in Allen Major who came from an excellent  Power Five program at Ohio State and had studied the game under an excellent mentor, Thad Matta.  Coaching changes, of course, create uncertainty and instability, and each such change makes it more challenging to build upon any momentum that may have been gained.   Allen turned out to be an excellent recruiter, though,  and we thought we were poised for significant improvement when his health problems intervened. 

And so now we have turned to Mark Price, who Judy both identified and pursued.  Mark was not looking for a job and certainly not one in collegiate athletics.  And, in many ways, I thought it was an inspired choice, both because of the players we had on the team who could grow under his leadership and because Mark wanted to live in Charlotte.  Both Judy and I are very mindful of the fact that coaches who have success at Charlotte are often cherry-picked by other institutions; this was certainly the case with Watkins and we have experienced it repeatedly in women's basketball.  We thought that the chances of a person like Mark seeking greener pastures elsewhere were lower.  He was and is committed to building a great program in Charlotte. We saw immediate proof of that when he did not allow himself to be a candidate for the job at his alma mater, Georgia Tech. 

So, what happened, Mark's  first weeks on the job were accompanied by the departure of two stellar players, Torin Dorn and Keyshawn Woods.  Why two guards would not want to learn from Mark Price is beyond me, but their departure certainly made the rebuilding process more difficult.  Again, none of the slow progress we have made in rebuilding men's basketball could be tied, in my judgment,  to poor decision-making by the AD.  That opinion is not one shared by you or perhaps others, but that's how I see it.

Phil D.

Again, please do not use the individual addresses on your list as many of these individuals are no longer Trustees.  Emails sent to the Trustee group address are shared with the Chair of the Board who decides whether they should be shared with our very busy Board members.  Thanks.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos