Author Topic: From the desk of Judy Rose  (Read 10313 times)

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #125 on: March 24, 2017, 03:16:22 pm
So, talking about actually doing things. Would anybody be supportive of lobbying for a merger/realignment of CUSA and the Sun Belt, with more regional foes. E.g. we play ODU, App, Coastal, etc. and not UTEP.

Even if we wanted this, it would be out of our control.  Personally, I want no such merger.

I just have a serious issue with sending track and field and golf teams to San Antonio and El Paso and think it would make a lot more sense to save on those expenses and play games against teams that would more likely bring more people to games. I also feel like it may create the opportunity for more local TV conctracts (like Jefferson Pilot has had with the ACC) since national contracts are going away for CUSA. But, I will say there are bigger issues at hand than this, and it probably won't happen anytime soon. Maybe after the next round of TV negotiations.

cltniners

Reply #126 on: March 24, 2017, 03:42:33 pm
clt suggests we join the SEC or Ivy league. enough of this middle of the pack crap.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #127 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:42 am
So, talking about actually doing things. Would anybody be supportive of lobbying for a merger/realignment of CUSA and the Sun Belt, with more regional foes. E.g. we play ODU, App, Coastal, etc. and not UTEP.
We may have been 10 years too late to football....and that could very well mean the difference between us being in those 2 vastly different conference situations.
10 years? We were in CUSA 1.0 in 1995.  Western Carolina has been playing in the Southern Conference since 1989.  Georgia Southern's been playing since 1981.  UCF, Sunbelt in 1991.  Memphis, CUSA since 1995.

I'd say 20+ years is more accurate.  Thus the disdain by many with Judy (sorry Earlyniner).

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #128 on: March 25, 2017, 06:19:12 am
We know the issue we have with conference affiliation.  We need more people buying tickets, watching games and donating if possible.  % of participating alumni.  Make a shift there and changing conferences becomes more likely.  This is why complaining about Judy is valid.  How she conducts her business is why we are stuck where we are.  It is why simply donating isn't a help.  We don't need to lobby about merging conferences, we need to worry about changing the #s. 
Mahna Mahna

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #129 on: March 25, 2017, 10:40:14 am
We know the issue we have with conference affiliation.  We need more people buying tickets, watching games and donating if possible.  % of participating alumni.  Make a shift there and changing conferences becomes more likely.  This is why complaining about Judy is valid.  How she conducts her business is why we are stuck where we are.  It is why simply donating isn't a help.  We don't need to lobby about merging conferences, we need to worry about changing the #s.

Yep.  Driving up local support and increasing alumni support will increase TV viewership, making us more attractive to a better conference.  Not to mention an increase in funds and demands for a larger stadium, etc.  Of course, winning solves some of the problem and gets us moving in the right direction.

Our administration needs to hire a Rocket Scientist to explain this stuff to them.  I get the feeling they still think it is all primarily the students supporting the programs. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:43:27 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #130 on: March 25, 2017, 10:59:27 am
We are not on TV.

cltniners

Reply #131 on: March 25, 2017, 06:46:25 pm
clt is getting ready to watch our elite eight game on cbs.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos