Author Topic: Austin Duke signed by Panthers  (Read 22725 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:24 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAus10Duke/status/888175827715850241/video/1

Austin in Baltimore training with Cam and the receivers.

The first time I see a NINER playing for an NFL team in person, I know I will cry like a baby. I hope I see Duke this year.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #51 on: July 21, 2017, 08:50:27 am
Jeremy Igo seems very convinced that he has a chance. Jeremy is just a guy with a website but he's usually right about this stuff.
#bus1

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #52 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:37 am
From following him on IG and seeing twitter videos like the one above...truly make me believe he has a shot, as well.  I know talent/skill is prob the number 1 thing they're evaluating right now, but Duke just has a lot of special intangible attributes.  He's the hometown kid, his work ethic appears to be top-notch, he is very likable and seems to get along with all the vets and he presents himself in a confident/swaggy manner, yet remains humble through this process.  Just like Larry, he is a spectacular representative of our University and City...would absolutely love seeing him play on Sundays.  From the things mentioned above, I think he has a lot going for him, in regards to making the roster.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #53 on: July 21, 2017, 02:50:50 pm
Jeremy Igo seems very convinced that he has a chance. Jeremy is just a guy with a website but he's usually right about this stuff.

Problem is he will probably have to beat out Russell Shepard or the other Charles Johnson to make the 53 man roster. Both are speedsters and both have NFL experience on special teams.

My bet is he makes the PS and is the WR call up if someone gets hurts. Pretty awesome one of our own has a chance to make the hometown NFL roster.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #54 on: July 21, 2017, 03:46:01 pm

Problem is he will probably have to beat out Russell Shepard or the other Charles Johnson to make the 53 man roster. Both are speedsters and both have NFL experience on special teams.

My bet is he makes the PS and is the WR call up if someone gets hurts. Pretty awesome one of our own has a chance to make the hometown NFL roster.

Duke has done everything he's needed to up to this point to put himself on the radar and to position himself for a spot.  But the battle has really yet to begin.  Training camp and preseason will be the true proving ground.

How well he runs routes, takes hits (from grown men), secures the ball, how many drops....all with pads on and live action.....he could continue to impress and make a name for himself....or drop completely off the radar depending on how the next month goes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:48:20 pm by TRLeader »
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:33 pm

If he is close to those other two wide receivers, it will be a tough call.  Do you put a rookie on the PS to get plucked by another team  or do you cut a 4 year guy with a total of 30 or 60 catches.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #56 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:00 pm
^ sterling point!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #57 on: July 21, 2017, 07:58:38 pm

If he is close to those other two wide receivers, it will be a tough call.  Do you put a rookie on the PS to get plucked by another team  or do you cut a 4 year guy with a total of 30 or 60 catches.

They have little invested in Duke at this point, so he will have to be glaringly better at WR and ST. Either way I hope he makes a team somewhere.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #58 on: July 21, 2017, 10:21:28 pm

They have little invested in Duke at this point, so he will have to be glaringly better at WR and ST. Either way I hope he makes a team somewhere.

There's two sides to that coin though. A lot of contracts need to get done and Austin will be a lot cheaper than the vets.

Edit: also, He's not just up against those two, he's against Keyarris Garret, Damiere Byrd and Brenton Bersin as well
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:23:34 pm by ImfromClayton »
#bus1

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:56 pm
hurney might be leaning toward spending less!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #60 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:20 am

There's two sides to that coin though. A lot of contracts need to get done and Austin will be a lot cheaper than the vets.

Edit: also, He's not just up against those two, he's against Keyarris Garret, Damiere Byrd and Brenton Bersin as well

Also the rest of the league as well.  No doubt that the other teams read the same articles as we do, and some are always looking for more speed.  However, if he makes the NFL or not at this point will be how he does on special teams.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
#bus1

jsqu03

• Freshman
Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:00 pm
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/07/24/carolina-panthers-camp-sleepers/

Duke has a challenge ahead as he tries to make a wide receivers corps that perhaps is the most talented in years. As if that is not difficult enough, Duke recently told me the Panthers have him working exclusively on the outside, as opposed to the slot which was the mainstay of his college career. Still, Duke impressed during offseason practices and caught the eye of all in attendance, myself included.

At this point Duke is not a lock to make the team, but has displayed the drive and self determination it takes to overcome any challenges. I am firmly in his corner.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 05:01:14 pm
Good news for Austin...they waived Charles Johnson.

NormsNinerNation

• Freshman
Reply #64 on: July 25, 2017, 05:49:12 pm
They also signed Trevor Graham though
#StateOfCharlotte

elvis

• Walk On
Reply #65 on: July 25, 2017, 07:20:22 pm

will Duke get a shot at returning kicks or punts or is he too small?  He could be a gunner on Kickoff's
with the loaded receivers he has to prove value somewhere else as well

is he the fastest receiver now with Ginn gone, not sure

elvis

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #66 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:47 pm

will Duke get a shot at returning kicks or punts or is he too small?  He could be a gunner on Kickoff's

elvis
Stephen Hill ran a 4.36, but I'm sure he's slower now with the knee injuries.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #67 on: July 25, 2017, 11:02:55 pm
clt says he is faster than Benjamin, that is for real.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 08:53:51 am

elvis

He probably will get a shot at returning kicks and punts but I think those duties are going to fall on Curtis Samuel and CMC.

Either one of Curtis Samuel or Russell Shepard is probably the fastest WR on the team now.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 09:17:28 am

elvis

He probably will get a shot at returning kicks and punts but I think those duties are going to fall on Curtis Samuel and CMC.

Either one of Curtis Samuel or Russell Shepard is probably the fastest WR on the team now.

clt says CMC better not be returning punts.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:40 pm

Duke has done everything he's needed to up to this point to put himself on the radar and to position himself for a spot.  But the battle has really yet to begin.  Training camp and preseason will be the true proving ground.

How well he runs routes, takes hits (from grown men), secures the ball, how many drops....all with pads on and live action.....he could continue to impress and make a name for himself....or drop completely off the radar depending on how the next month goes.

So far....sounds like he came out of the gate at camp sa-mokin hot!!!
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

NinerAdvocate

Reply #71 on: July 26, 2017, 08:52:10 pm
Cam Newton may be the biggest Austin Duke fan out here. Lots of praise

https://twitter.com/CarolinaHuddle/status/890358343184896000

Sneak peak of the likely Play O The Day... Austin Duke making noise. https://t.co/VhS1kCMWis

https://twitter.com/CarolinaHuddle/status/890354931529637888
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:59:34 pm by NinerAdvocate »

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #72 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:30 pm
Cam Newton may be the biggest Austin Duke fan out here. Lots of praise

https://twitter.com/CarolinaHuddle/status/890358343184896000

Sneak peak of the likely Play O The Day... Austin Duke making noise. https://t.co/VhS1kCMWis

https://twitter.com/CarolinaHuddle/status/890354931529637888

clt daps this

NinerAdvocate

Reply #73 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:47 pm
Quote from: PanthersMax
So Austin Duke is just as fast in Spartanburg as he was in Charlotte. Causing problems for the secondary

https://twitter.com/PanthersMax/status/890353295600091138

NinerAdvocate

Reply #74 on: July 26, 2017, 09:12:57 pm
Quote from: Jordan Rodrique
Austin Duke. With such a great catch on a long one from Webb that Cam ran out onto the field to celebrate with the little 49ers receiver.

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/890353182211276800

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos