Author Topic: Conference USA Basketball Tournament moving to Frisco, TX  (Read 3766 times)

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Break out your cowboy boots the basketball tournament is moving to Texas.

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2017/5/16/18BasketballChampionshipsAnnouncement.aspx?path=[/font]

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:40 pm
Putting it within 4 hours drive of 4 of the schools with the lowest attendance  (unt,  utsa, rice, and la tech) seems like a recipe for success.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:57:08 pm
Well, 600+ miles closer to Charlotte than El Paso, site of the 2014 tournament. With the power in men's hoops recently focused on Middle Tennessee and looking like WKU in the near future, moving back to Texas something of a head scratcher.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:58:53 pm by Run49er »

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:51:39 pm
We really need to get out of this conference.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:11 pm
We really need to get out of this conference.
We need to win in this conference before we can think about moving on..

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:45:47 pm
Dallas might be the single easiest city to travel to in the conference's footprint. Niner National degraded the move as being a 4 hour drive from 4 poorly attended programs, but where is could we possibly 4 hours away from any 4 programs?

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:10:29 am
I would drive to see them. Not going to fly to Dallas then drive and I doubt many will.

That said I never got a chance to go to Birmingham, did many people make it there?

I don't care if we move up conferences but these non regional bastard conferences blow.
I don't follow football are there regional options that suit the current state of our program?

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 07:39:53 am
This is just another brick in the wall for making these leagues more regional.   

I'm sure all 12 people that attend the tournament will be excited.  Looking forward for to the check we get from the Conference TV deal too.   :rolleyes:
#bus1

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:57 am
Frisco, Texas?  Never heard of the place.  Frisco, Colorado would be a much better place to have this.  I'm rapidly approaching the status of "No Longer Giving a Damn" when it comes to 49er Athletics.  Hopefully the next AD can turns things around. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 09:50:58 am
Dallas might be the single easiest city to travel to in the conference's footprint. Niner National degraded the move as being a 4 hour drive from 4 poorly attended programs, but where is could we possibly 4 hours away from any 4 programs?

It isn't the city, it's the facility that has me disgusted.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:57:12 am
Where in the hell is Frisco?  SA might be cool to visit.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:10:52 am
Where in the hell is Frisco?  SA might be cool to visit.

30 minutes north of Dallas

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:18 am
I've heard that this will be the layout for the Tournament.  Men's games on the right, Women's games on the left, and the clowns performing in the center ring.

Image result for 3 ring circus

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 10:52:11 am
How many people complaining actually went when the tourney was in Birmingham?

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 11:04:45 am

I would have if we had a competitive team (no worse than 4th). I won't ever go back until we get to 4th or better no matter where it is, but especially Texass. BLAH!!
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 12:19:05 pm
Well, looks like I'm going to be able to go to the conference tourney in 2018.  How many nights I stay depends on how much we win.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:21 pm

I would have if we had a competitive team (no worse than 4th). I won't ever go back until we get to 4th or better no matter where it is, but especially Texass. BLAH!!

Exactly my point, our fans aren't traveling unless we have a good year.

Despite all the griping, I will give a slight bit of credit for going outside the box to fix the problem. The Cowboys sound like they are 110% behind making it a successful event:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/05/16/c-usa-cowboys-officials-vow-make-conference-hoops-tourney-star-destination-event

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 01:31:51 pm
Frisco has hosted the NCAA FCS title game several times. Most people still call it I-AA.

It may have hosted the Men's D-1 soccer championship, too. The same town, not the same facility CUSA hoops will use.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 04:11:40 pm
observer story:

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 04:17:17 pm

Despite all the griping, I will give a slight bit of credit for going outside the box to fix the problem. The Cowboys sound like they are 110% behind making it a successful event:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/05/16/c-usa-cowboys-officials-vow-make-conference-hoops-tourney-star-destination-event

I don't really care where they have the tournament and I hope Dallas has success hosting.  My beef is that they are planning on having the men's and women's games going on at the same time separated by a curtain.  I think we had a similar set-up when I played intramural basketball.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 04:39:35 pm
Curtain lol. What a joke.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 04:48:29 pm
Curtain lol. What a joke.

This whole set up is a joke, the cowboys' involvement, notwithstanding. Attendance will be abysmal.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:07 pm

I don't really care where they have the tournament and I hope Dallas has success hosting.  My beef is that they are planning on having the men's and women's games going on at the same time separated by a curtain.  I think we had a similar set-up when I played intramural basketball.
Seriously? A curtain? Bizarre and stupid.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos