Author Topic: Mark Price adds new assistant coach  (Read 9269 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
on: May 31, 2017, 03:14:36 pm
Jon Rothstein broke this today, Ivo Simovic will join Price's staff:

https://agent49.net/mark-price-adds-new-assistant-coach/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:47:03 pm by moss2k »

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:19:03 pm
So Ferguson's out ?

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:15 pm
So Ferguson's out ?

Riley's ship sailed long ago my friend.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 03:24:55 pm
I'm stoked about the new hire. Simovic is replacing Ferguson.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:33 pm
Surprised Ferguson didn't do better here. Was billed as a good recruiter.

Good to see us adjusting though, hopefully Simovic thrives here.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:08:48 pm
So Ferguson's out ?

Riley's ship sailed long ago my friend.

clt asks who is Riley?

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:21 pm
His official bio page at Hartford:

Hartfordhawks.com: IVO SIMOVIC - ASSISTANT MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:19:11 pm
Well, when recruiting America isn't going well for you, might as well try europe. St Mary's does well getting Australia's best. Hopefully this will help us get some of Europe's best.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:18:12 pm
Well, when recruiting America isn't going well for you, might as well try europe. St Mary's does well getting Australia's best. Hopefully this will help us get some of Europe's best.
I look at it as casting a wider net. Simovic has incredible international ties and a ton a respect in the basketball community abroad (and locally with many NBA coaches and international players).

It's going to be fun to watch unfold.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:56:50 pm

Our American born players are more likely to earn a pay check playing basketball internationally than they are in the NBA after they graduate. International connections could help recruiting American players also.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:30:18 pm

Expectations!  Watch your expectations.   
They can wreck you, you know.

We're probably talking tall, slow white guys that can hit from 28' but couldn't shuffle their feet to the Grateful Dead.

"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 10:38:19 pm

We're probably talking tall, slow white guys that can hit from 28' but couldn't shuffle their feet to the Grateful Dead.
if my expectations got any lower, I'd have to dig a hole to find them.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:58 pm

Early, I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ruckus42

• Junior
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 11:12:45 pm
They were pretty horrendous this past season at Hartford. That being said....at this point I'm totally open to trying anything. Welcome to Ninernation!!!! Hopefully he will bring us some major success.
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 06:21:01 am
Didn't know we had a coaching spot open

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 07:36:05 am
They were pretty horrendous this past season at Hartford. That being said....at this point I'm totally open to trying anything. Welcome to Ninernation!!!! Hopefully he will bring us some major success.

"Major" and success should NEVER be used together in Niner Nation !!!

I wonder if Dinkins was even considered this time ?????

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:37:58 am
I sent the AD & basketball staff several emails asking for a new assistant coach specifically for recruiting.

No idea if they actually listened or came up with this on their own, but needless to say, I am VERY pleased.

Savio

• Senior
Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 11:40:27 am
i like the hire, we need that balance with intl players.  State has been doing it with players in Turkey for over a decade with quality players like Atsur and Etimov.  Wonder what their connection to Turkey is there since they've been through a few coaching chances since Herb.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 12:40:38 pm
I know absolutely nothing about Simovic but I am happy about this move. It shows me that Price has the balls and​ the permission to make this kind of a move.  I think bad assistants have killed our program.  Price probably got what he could when he was hired, but now with some experience he is hopefully upgrading.  If we do that with players too we may just get better.
#unc-CHeatingPays

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 01:20:27 pm
We've had great success with euros in the past so I have great positivity over this move.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 01:33:00 pm
We've had great success with euros in the past so I have great positivity over this move.

there is a difference between poor recruiting assistants recruting euros that other schools don't want, like the swede, and a guy with real european connections who knows the best euros and can get them.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 04:10:59 pm

Nice!
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 04:53:25 pm

Nice!
Solid! Let's see how it plays out to have an assistant with legit ties before crapping on it.  Maybe we should have kept trying to do the same thing repeatedly and see if it changed!

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 05:34:47 pm
This is what we have to do to compete in this area with no recent success to lean on.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 05:54:53 pm

Nice!
Solid! Let's see how it plays out to have an assistant with legit ties before crapping on it.  Maybe we should have kept trying to do the same thing repeatedly and see if it changed!

I'm not crapping on it. I hope he succeeds. But I'm not gonna sit here and say great hire. I have no idea who this guy is and who he can recruit. He's coming from what school????? But I'm hoping he can recruit better here than in Europe. Sure I'll take an euro star but we'll see if that actually happens. The poster that said something about tall skinny unathletic white kid that can shoot pretty much sums up my initial reactions. Or a project. We don't need a project when majority of the team is a project. Let's at least get out of the embarrassing 200+ rpi for goodness sake.

Besides, hopefully he can bring some kids in very soon because Price needs something to happen if he wants to keep his job. Waiting until cusa gets weaker and weaker seems to be the current strategy.

Most of us thought Price was a slam dunk hire with a former HC that has had some success beside him on the bench. It hasn't turned out as planned so far. I'm not sold on the 2017-18 squad at this point to even say we are a .500 team.

But back to this hire, can some explain why this hire is great or the possible good to great recruits he may be able to sway here in the short term? Their message board listed a couple guys... are they even any good?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:57:55 pm by cibik02 »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos