Author Topic: clt says we raised mo money  (Read 4297 times)

ghostofclt

• Sophomore

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:04:43 pm
Pleasantly surprised by this. I feel confident that this is going to continue to go up!

VCU makes more money than APP and they don't even have football lol

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:23:57 pm
If we can just win and get Judy away from the program, the sky is the limit.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:23:00 pm
Pleasantly surprised by this. I feel confident that this is going to continue to go up!

VCU makes more money than APP and they don't even have football lol

That's what going to the Final Four AND SUSTAINING will do for you. Sadly we went into the s*** ditch after our FF run.  >:( :-[
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:42:54 pm
Shouldn't we have a better AD/teams since we have those types of numbers?

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:46 am
So we "saved" $5mill?

Looks like most schools spent their whole allotment/ revenue

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00:28 am

Appears that the Athletic Foundation is doing a pretty good job while the rest of the Athletic Department does little with the $$$.   I really have no other explanation for why we are so bad in most sports.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:18:46 am
I'm guessing this has to factor in student fees right?*

*Edit: saw the methodology, good to be top 20 in something even if it is student fees!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:21:05 am by JB »
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 10:52:54 am
So we "saved" $5mill?

Looks like most schools spent their whole allotment/ revenue
Hard to justify increases in student  fees when they aren't spent. That is, if student fee revenue accounts for some or all of the $5 million.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:55:13 am by 4ever niner »

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 05:06:36 pm

Appears that the Athletic Foundation is doing a pretty good job while the rest of the Athletic Department does little with the $$$.   I really have no other explanation for why we are so bad in most sports.

I don't think we are bad at "most" sports. Football too young to count, pretty much M bball, softball, and volleyball are the stragglers. 

All the others are pretty high within conference and several have had national representation in past few years.

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 09:56:37 am
Has anyone posted this to the CUSA board?

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09:18 am

I don't think we are bad at "most" sports. Football too young to count, pretty much M bball, softball, and volleyball are the stragglers. 

All the others are pretty high within conference and several have had national representation in past few years.
men's soccer is the only team that has won a cusa championship since we rejoined.

To me, that is pretty bad.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 10:14:43 am

men's soccer is the only team that has won a cusa championship since we rejoined.

Girls soccer won one.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 12:36:44 pm

With the obvious exception of MBB, most sports are stronger in CUSA than A10. We needed time to catch up. That could have something to do with our lack of league titles since rejoining. Of course, we have 4 or 5 recruiting classes since then, so that excuse is gone.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 03:42:03 pm

With the obvious exception of MBB, most sports are stronger in CUSA than A10. We needed time to catch up. That could have something to do with our lack of league titles since rejoining. Of course, we have 4 or 5 recruiting classes since then, so that excuse is gone.

Well damn.  If we are in that great of shape, let's give our AD a big raise and bonus to ensure she hangs around for the next 10 years.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 10:30:07 pm
There are several schools in the ACC, SEC, PAC12, BIG 10 that don't win conference titles...  if conference titles are the only thing you see as important you are mistaken.

We've had All Americans, and several players drafted for their respective sport this year.  While I too want us to be much better in our mainstream sports please note that We do have a lot of positives and not just a lot of negatives. Just be sure to give credit to the kids and sports busting their tails.  If you didn't participate in college athletics as a coach or athlete I don't think you understand how hard a conference title let alone a C-USA title is to get...

Charlotte is making gains and doing a lot of things right. I give credit to the teams getting it done.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:52:33 am
There are several schools in the ACC, SEC, PAC12, BIG 10 that don't win conference titles...  if conference titles are the only thing you see as important you are mistaken.

We've had All Americans, and several players drafted for their respective sport this year.  While I too want us to be much better in our mainstream sports please note that We do have a lot of positives and not just a lot of negatives. Just be sure to give credit to the kids and sports busting their tails.  If you didn't participate in college athletics as a coach or athlete I don't think you understand how hard a conference title let alone a C-USA title is to get...

Charlotte is making gains and doing a lot of things right. I give credit to the teams getting it done.

Those mentioned teams that don't win ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and PAC-10 titles usually change up the coaching and athletic director staff within 6 years or in some cases less if they aren't getting the results you want. Thats typically how you get better in any organization is bringing in the talented people to win/sell/build/whatever.

With the exception of Mens Soccer, our athletic teams performance has been generally poor and in some sports noncompetitive. Yes we get good players, and the kids play hard, but at the end of the day we lose and often aren't even competitive.

But outside of those results, the more concerning is how the lack of interest in any of our programs, our over reliance on student fees and our inability to fund raise. The vast majority of our new revenue is from student fees, which is not going to keep being a viable option.

Lastly, the nice thing about sports is its very black and white. You have benchmarks for success, you either win or lose. I still need to see more to say we're "getting it done" and "making gains".

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 11:45:54 am

Those mentioned teams that don't win ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and PAC-10 titles usually change up the coaching and athletic director staff within 6 years or in some cases less if they aren't getting the results you want. Thats typically how you get better in any organization is bringing in the talented people to win/sell/build/whatever.

With the exception of Mens Soccer, our athletic teams performance has been generally poor and in some sports noncompetitive. Yes we get good players, and the kids play hard, but at the end of the day we lose and often aren't even competitive.

But outside of those results, the more concerning is how the lack of interest in any of our programs, our over reliance on student fees and our inability to fund raise. The vast majority of our new revenue is from student fees, which is not going to keep being a viable option.

Lastly, the nice thing about sports is its very black and white. You have benchmarks for success, you either win or lose. I still need to see more to say we're "getting it done" and "making gains".

Good post.  It's all about results.  If the goal of the athletic department is not based on achieving winning teams and post season appearances, they need to let us know.  If the goal is to win and have some appearances in post season, maybe it is time for a change. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 04:37:59 pm
clt says our men's golf is good, but the women's golf hasn't won anything.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 05:56:20 pm
We'll be even better once we get that indoor facility.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:33 pm
We'll be even better once we get that indoor facility.
I've heard we're adding Golden Tee in the golf locker rooms, as it won't count against practice time allotment.

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:31 am

Men's Soccer and Track & Field(has sent an athlete to NCAA's 10 years in a row and 3 All Americans this year), however T&F isn't a black and white sport.  I also think there some bottom schools in the big conferences that are under performing and we can beat most of their sports teams, minus Football and probably Men's Bball.

That's not saying it's a benchmark for success, I'm just pointing out that we have some competitive programs(Women's Soccer, Women's Bball, Tennis has gotten better over the years).  For the amount of $ that is spent I too agree we should be better all around, have better fan engagement, better everything, however, I think it is more complicated than just one person's role and that a lot of things are going to need to change and a good chunk of time will need to pass to get to a point where we feel justification on where we want our school to be.   

I'm not content on our success as a university and I'll be excited if and when we get there, but until then still want to give props to the coaches getting it done and making gains.  A lot of people put a lot of work in, and some maybe skate by but, I think we've got a lot of good people working hard at the U.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:30 am

Men's Soccer and Track & Field(has sent an athlete to NCAA's 10 years in a row and 3 All Americans this year), however T&F isn't a black and white sport.  I also think there some bottom schools in the big conferences that are under performing and we can beat most of their sports teams, minus Football and probably Men's Bball.

That's not saying it's a benchmark for success, I'm just pointing out that we have some competitive programs(Women's Soccer, Women's Bball, Tennis has gotten better over the years).  For the amount of $ that is spent I too agree we should be better all around, have better fan engagement, better everything, however, I think it is more complicated than just one person's role and that a lot of things are going to need to change and a good chunk of time will need to pass to get to a point where we feel justification on where we want our school to be.   

I'm not content on our success as a university and I'll be excited if and when we get there, but until then still want to give props to the coaches getting it done and making gains.  A lot of people put a lot of work in, and some maybe skate by but, I think we've got a lot of good people working hard at the U.

I think we're saying the same thing for the most part. I don't disagree that we do have good people at the university working to make us better. However, the athletic department is and has been horribly run in some regards. Mainly with game day atmosphere, fan relations, and marketing (examples galore, not even going down that road). Add in the last three basketball coaching contract decisions (Lutz extension, hiring Major, Major extension and Price is still TBD), its really inexcusable.

The reason Rose catches so much flake though (the one person) is because this is fully her athletic department. She's been here for over 20 years and the people in place and the results we put up, eventually role back up to her. Changing her and putting in someone would lead to that trickle down change throughout the AD, and is extremely overdue. The only AD that has been tenured longer then her is Utahs, and he has led that department from the WAC to the Pac-10.

I think the biggest disconnect between the AD and the fans (or at least fans like me) is what our expectations are compared to theirs. WBB making the NIT doesn't make me happy, or in my mind equals success. Baseball falling short of making the NCAA doesn't make me proud (although its improvement). Tennis (M/W) being a middle of the road program despite having some of the nicest facilities in G5 is unacceptable. Softball being stagnant with the coach that has been there for god knows how long is shameful. MBB and FBs struggles are well documented.

Soccer, T/F, Golf are all the fans have had to be proud of over the past 10 years. And for an athletic department that has the second biggest budget in our conference, I don't think its unreasonable to expect all teams to finish top 4 in conference year in and year out, and for all athletic teams that wear the green and white to make the fans/alumni/parents of players/university proud.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos