Author Topic: 2017 C-USA Football preaseason media coverage  (Read 4129 times)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 01:50:11 pm
Not playing for anything is such a shitty excuse. Get players who are more driven. Get a coach who motivates their players.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 02:10:00 pm
Golly. I'm gonna sound like the AD.

show me the recruits anxious to go play for nothing and I'll digress.  If recruiting takes a hit at Penn State, Miami and USC when they aren't playing for anything, you can bet it's going to affect Charlotte as well. Arguing the contrary is asinine. It's not an excuse, it's common sense. It's like talking someone into a sales job with either no commission or commission in 2-3 years. Most people would rather go with an option that has immediate return.

As far as the Dline goes, at this level, it's going to be challenging to convince a kid to come play behind a Larry Ogunjobi. And I thought our DL class this year was better than it had been.  I think Larry and Brandon moving on was no small part of that. It's not impossible, but that's one of the struggles of G5 football.  When you hit a recruiting homerun, it's hard to convince a kid to sit the bench at a non P5 school. Watch Last chance U.  See what the kids say about UAB.

Even saying all that though, didn't we sign several solid DL prospects and move them to OL? Eugene German in particular comes to mind. That's also part of the issue coming to sit the bench at a G5 school. You've gotta get your talent on the field. That's why some kids don't want to come to non "playing from day 1" situations.

I hate excuses, but we still need to live in the realm of reality.

#bus1

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 03:12:16 pm
Signing on to play for Charlotte meant playing for something in 2 athletic years assuming a red shirt. It also meant training to make the next level. This whole playing for nothing is a statement that is just patently false. Playing intermural football is playing for nothing. The realm of reality is we don't recruit that well and we sure as hell don't coach well.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 09:41:00 am
Signing on to play for Charlotte meant playing for something in 2 athletic years assuming a red shirt. It also meant training to make the next level. This whole playing for nothing is a statement that is just patently false. Playing intermural football is playing for nothing. The realm of reality is we don't recruit that well and we sure as hell don't coach well.

And literally everywhere else they were playing for something in year one while also training to make the next level.
#bus1

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:52 am

And literally everywhere else they were playing for something in year one while also training to make the next level.
A recruit who signs on the play for Brad Lambert should know he doesn't play freshman or sophomore's anyway.

Run49er

• Chancellor

Run49er

• Chancellor

Run49er

• Chancellor

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 03:04:07 am

A recruit who signs on the play for Brad Lambert should know he doesn't play freshman or sophomore's anyway.
DeLuka and Washington may differ on your assessment.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 12:20:58 pm
Here's the rub. I'm not sure I accept the premise that the announcement about joining CUSA would have all that much effect on our 2013/14
recruiting. We'd have to have told FBS level athletes that they were going to have to wait 2 seasons to play at that level. Maybe some would and maybe some wouldn't go along with that. At any rate, I'm going to wait until we actually play five seasons of FBS to start passing judgments.

I agree with this.  We had the first class on campus when we got into CUSA.  Most of them graduated in 17 (Larry, Johnson, Perry, Covington, Duke etc).  The 2013 class were. mostly recruited when we got into CUSA.   It's not like recruits thought "Charlotte's going FBS, let's go there".
 We still hadn't played a game, and the schools we were recruiting against used that, and the fact they we wouldn't be bowl eligible until 2017 against us.

We have improved everywhere on the field except DLine (we don't a have a replacement for Duke either).  I don't know why it's been so though to get them, but it does seem to be a position that other schools have a problem with as well (MTSU folks are doing the same whining we are).
I feel like the recruiting has gotten better, and Lambert gets a pass from mevthis season, but 2018 has alaways been the date that I've considered the training wheels are off.  If we don't preform then, I've got no problem with the staff being dismissed.

FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 01:04:42 pm
...and Lambert gets a pass from mevthis season, but 2018 has alaways been the date that I've considered the training wheels are off.  If we don't preform then, I've got no problem with the staff being dismissed.
A blanket pass no matter the outcome?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos