Author Topic: 2017 Football Over/Under 4.5 Wins  (Read 2646 times)

cibik02

• Head Coach
on: August 22, 2017, 11:08:54 pm
Vote

If I had to put money on one, it would be the under.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:17:19 pm
We need to get off to a good start beating EMU, A&T, and GA St otherwise the season is going to be ugly. I doubt we sneak up on teams like Marshall and USM this season.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:33:57 pm
Over, 5.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:33 pm
Sadly, I have to go under.  I just think our d line is going to get run all over.

I think our offense will get hung out to dry while in past seasons it has been  our offense that left our defense in a bad spot.

If we beat EMU, I'll go over. They're a pretty good team and if we can beat them, a 3-1 ooc record is doable and I don't see us winning only 1 or 0 cusa games.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:29 am
clt asks for a "not sure" option

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:53:36 am
Under.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22:33 am
Just to be contrary and go with the off the record league coaches, I'll say over.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:07:13 am
There aren't gonna be many W opportunities in CUSA East. On paper, it should be one of the strongest divisions in G5 football. Team has to start strong in OOC, and I don't know how you do that with such an inexperienced D Line.

Under. 

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:33 am
OVER
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ProudNiner13

• Walk On
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 11:33:45 am
Under. As many have mentioned before, the D Line is a huge question mark. If the rest of the defense can step up then we could be looking Over instead. Very interesting to see how this team does with a lot new guys on the field.
Hating the Tar Holes since '89

chidave

• Junior
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:43 am
This is a hard one, I could see anywhere from 2--->7 wins depending on the answers we get for our unknowns. I'm an optimist though and going with the Over.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:58 pm

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 12:49:30 pm
I'm going under with 4 but we blow 2 games due to poor coaching like last year.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 12:54:18 pm
Hope we do not hang 0 wins at home again this year against D1 teams.  I know it is hard to build a team, but I am ready to win.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 01:25:08 pm
Over.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 01:32:26 pm
I think it's going to be a long frustrating season that will pay dividends in 2018.
The offense with struggle without Kalif, Duke and the o linemen we lost, but I think it all can be replaced but it will take time to gel.  I do think we've got a little more depth on the oline that in years past, but we can't take losing 4-5 guys like we did last season.  Washington and Lemay are just not going to be Phillips like off that start, but I do think we are going the right way.

Defense is where we struggle and while the Dline will be a problem, I don't have a lot of faith in the lb's and d backs either.  We didn't tackle well last season.

Like noted upthread, we aren't going to sneak up on anyone.  I feel like we won the Marshall, FAU and should have won the FIU game because the other team fell apart and took us lightly.  That won't happen again.

Another negative, also mentioned upthread is that the east is much better,  I also feel EMU and GSU are also much better and who knows what we'll get against UAB.

On the positive side, I think the recruits we brought in could be solid.  I'd love for several of them to skip the redshirt and go ahead and play this season.  We have the room and it's not like we have veterans holding them back, especially on defense.

While I'm always on the conservative side, I say we go 2-10 with wins against A and T and UAB, but I would be shocked if we beat GSU and one of the Florida schools as well.

It's going to be a long season, but I think it pays dividends going into 2018.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:38 pm
I really really don't want to, but I have to take the under. We missed our shot at a bowl last year, and now we have to work our way back up again. I'm going to say 3 wins.

Despite this, I do think we will keep things interesting. I'm not expecting a repeat of 2015 where everyone ran the score up on us. We are not in bad shape at all on the offensive side of the ball. For the first time ever, we have our QB situation solidified going into a season. I am confident that Washington and Lemay combined can at least match the production we got from Kalif. Our receivers are experienced, and will be a relatively strong unit with the return of Bostick. We have taken some tough loses on the O-line, but many of those guys were never healthy anyways, and have been replaced by capable JuCo players.

Defense is another story. Our D-line is in for a world of hurt if some young guys don't step up quickly. Despite decent LBs and DBs, the majority of our losses will be the direct result of our D-line not being able to pressure the QB or stop the run. Banks and Larry will be sorely missed.

We have an offense that can score a lot, but our defense is going to consistently give up a lot of points as well.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:39:28 pm by MikeNiner11 »

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:35 pm
Over. 5 wins

Despite what many here are saying, this is the most talented team we've ever had with the exception of 4 out of the 22 starting positions (those being NT, Slot, C, RE). I expect 18 of our 22 starters to be better than last year. That being said our 4 big losses (Larry, Duke, La Bianca, Banks) are at crucial positions.

I expect our Dline to be the worst in CUSA, however we do run a 3-4 base D so that could help mask it a little. D Lineman in in our system our suppose to be space eaters that set up Our LBs to make plays. Larry and Banks were such a huge luxury last year cause they were play makers. We need our LBs to really step up this year because they were underwhelming last year. Our secondary should be the best it's ever been.

This should be our best offense ever. I am skeptical of Mullen like everyone else but we should have a much better passing attack with a more experienced Klugh. One thing I think some of you are missing on is our run game. I loved Kalif but Washington and Lemay will prove to be more productive. From the pics I've seen of practice just about all of them are two TE sets with RJ Tyler set up in a FB position and Jacques at TE. I think you'll see us as more of a power running spread offense (ironically kind of like what Kstate runs so well). Also I wouldn't be surprised if we added some triple option plays with Klugh. Either way I expect a very run heavy offense with a calculated passing game.

Overall this team will be slightly better than last year with our improved talent at almost every position. A lack  of experience and a shaky Dline will keep us from going bowling though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:22:58 pm by _BL_Niner »

Niner17

• Walk On
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:38 pm
Over. 5 wins

Despite what many here are saying, this is the most talented team we've ever had with the exception of 4 out of the 22 starting positions (those being NT, Slot, C, RE). I expect 18 of our 22 starters to be better than last year. That being said our 4 big losses (Larry, Duke, La Bianca, Banks) are at crucial positions.

I expect our Dline to be the worst in CUSA, however we do run a 3-4 base D so that could help mask it a little. D Lineman in in our system our suppose to be space eaters that set up Our LBs to make plays. Larry and Banks were such a huge luxury last year cause they were play makers. We need our LBs to really step up this year because they were underwhelming last year. Our secondary should be the best it's ever been.

Good post. I agree with a majority of you are saying BL. While I think that La Bianca has been solid for us since we started, I'm not so sure we'll take much of step back at that position. Jean Eason seems like an equally solid JUCO guy in the center of the line, who made first team all division and attracted a good number of decent scholarship offers.

I completely agree with you about the defense. Solid LB and DB core but I expect the entire unit to hinge on the defensive line. Our secondary would take a beating if the DLine doesn't show up, however, I'm expecting a competent line and 5 wins at the end of the year. I'm taking the over.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 05:47:58 pm
Same here....I know we lost a lot....but that was our first ever class in history, most of which were recruited for what we thought was going to be an FCS future.  So, I would HOPE that the recruits coming in, especially the last year or two are of a higher stock and quality than those that just left.

Plus...this is the first time since Matt Johnson returned as starter several years ago that we have had a returning starting QB have the ENTIRE offseason to grow and progress with the offense.  We are still stacked at RB and solid at WR and the OL is in good shape.  I read it somewhere else too..but this has to be the best offense we have ever put on a field.

Defensively...we've never been very solid, even with Larry and Brandon we could NEVER get off the field.  Blame the Coordinator or the scheme or the talent.  But let's say the defense will be painfully similar...the offense SHOULD be markedly better.

I think we will have a lot of chances to win, like last year.....and if the offense is better, then we should close out better.

The only unknown is injuries and depth.  If we take some key losses to key positions due to injuries, we could be a dumpster fire in a hurry.

The overall talent should be better...but our depth is still razor thin.

Stay healthy in key areas...I could see a 5 win season.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 08:16:28 pm
Another negative, also mentioned upthread is that the east is much better

You are very right about this, but I couldn't ask for anything better.  In the good old days--when hoops went to the NCAAs every year--we played in the much better division of CUSA.  The competition was better and we rose to the occasion.  Wins mean something when you beat somebody.  This is why I am so disappointed we are playing Methodist in hoops.  However, last year, beating Marshall and USM in football counted.
#unc-CHeatingPays

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:09 pm
Love the genuine analysis in this thread.  I went with over because I am an optimist.  I have never missed a home game and have attended numerous away games.  Our defense was poor last year and our offense was not much better (with the exception of a few games all of which Klugh started).  My gut tells me our defense will be poor again this year but probably not much worse but our offense will be much better.  We peak at five wins (A&T, Georgia State, UAB, Marshall and FIU).  Three home wins and our first homecoming win keeps building momentum for 2018....the year we make a bowl.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:18 pm
Love the genuine analysis in this thread.  I went with over because I am an optimist.  I have never missed a home game and have attended numerous away games.  Our defense was poor last year and our offense was not much better (with the exception of a few games all of which Klugh started).  My gut tells me our defense will be poor again this year but probably not much worse but our offense will be much better.  We peak at five wins (A&T, Georgia State, UAB, Marshall and FIU).  Three home wins and our first homecoming win keeps building momentum for 2018....the year we make a bowl.
I agree about peaking at 5 wins, but I don't see Marshall being terrible again.  They had talent last year, so it must have been a locker room thing. If that has been fixed this year, they could contend for top 3 IMO.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:11 am
Walker Mehl on The Wake Up Call predicted 6 wins this morning in a segment. He said he understands the low expectations but thinks the O will be good.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 09:42:42 am
Walker Mehl on The Wake Up Call predicted 6 wins this morning in a segment. He said he understands the low expectations but thinks the O will be good.
Os are always good.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos