Author Topic: EMU Postgame  (Read 5032 times)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:29 pm
Not a good start to the season. D played better than anyone predicted. O was f***ing atrocious. ST was improved.

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:18 pm
Can I get a #firemullen at least? I mean any other school I would expect more but at least #firemullen
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:38 pm
Time for Lambert to go. Let Coach Wally interim. Only competent coach on the field.

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:40:50 pm
All I gotta say. We're not the first.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:07 pm
Only 17 points allowed by the defense. Can't ask for more. Hate that our offense let them down.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:50:32 pm
The Good:

The defense played pretty well

Klugh looked pretty decent before he started forcing things/getting out of rhythm

The Bad 

Mullens

The Ugly

Lambert

The Yellow Flags

NinerAdvocate

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:51:19 pm
Klugh was atrocious tonight. So much for finally having a QB.

Mullen continues to baffle me with decisions. Completely abandoned the run game so Klugh could wind up and overthrow his receivers.

I have never seen a team so consistently negate offensive plays with stupid penalties.

Mullen jr muffed 2 punts in a row. How many chances do you get?

The defense was shaky early but settled down and played okay. 

I was trying hard to find a positive. It was nearly impossible.

Looking at an 0-3 start I think.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:53:18 pm by NinerAdvocate »

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:59:28 pm
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:01:45 pm
Klugh was atrocious tonight. So much for finally having a QB.

Mullen continues to baffle me with decisions. Completely abandoned the run game so Klugh could wind up and overthrow his receivers.

I have never seen a team so consistently negate offensive plays with stupid penalties.

Mullen jr muffed 2 punts in a row. How many chances do you get?

The defense was shaky early but settled down and played okay. 

I was trying hard to find a positive. It was nearly impossible.

Looking at an 0-3 start I think.

If we lose to NC A&T and start 0-3, Lambert and staff should be unemployed.  They won't be but should be.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 10:05:36 pm
Offensively, our playcalling is bad, and our execution is worse.  Our o line is really bad and I'm not sure how much better the other guys are. It's time for Mullen to go, and unfortunately for us, Lambert bet the farm on Mullen.  This gimmicky system does not work. You have to have a certain type of talent that we just aren't getting.

The D looked incredible relative to what I was expecting. I had low expectations and they exceeded them tremendously. In fact I hate to see this aspect of our program be torn apart, but I don't see how Lambert isn't judged on Mullens' job performance at this point.
#bus1

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 10:06:48 pm
clt says we miss Riley.

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:32 pm
Lambert post game radio:

-Talked about mistakes turnovers/penalties

- wasn't happy at all with the O line

- also disappointed in Klugh

- was happy D only gave up 17 points

Very vanilla post game interview, wish he had more fire

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 10:09:20 pm
https://www.smokingmusket.com/platform/amp/2008/11/08/fire-jeff-mullen

Evergreen post

It's no accident. He's just bad.

If Lambert wants a job he should get rid of him and his kid immediately, its what I was saying last year and one game in I'm saying it again.

There is no accountability and no drive to win.

Maybe someday someone will make a change and care.

Niner Cum Laude

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 10:18:50 pm
There is too much talent in the Charlotte area to be performing like this.  Charlotte is too attractive of a city to not be recruiting at level to get talent to be competitive in games against EMU and the likes.  All the penalties, struggles on offense/playcalling, not having people lined up at the line on offense; what is this team doing in practice, we look like a poorly coached high school team.  Hats off to the defense though, impressed me tonight with there play.  This is going to be a long season however and I think Lambert has stayed on 2 years too long here. 

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:54 pm
I try to be as optimistic as possible on here...but man

Every year I hope our offense improves but it never does. Mullens passing schemes and the routes we run are just bad. Very few routes actually go beyond ten yards.

I actually thought Wallerstedt coached a great game. As Jeff Gemmel said on the post game radio, they made adjustments and other than a couple pass plays, played well the whole game. Allowing 17 points against a good offense with a good QB is solid.

Obviously our corners still play off the receivers a lot but I think that helps give them a chance to jump routes and create turnovers. It also could be our corners lack speed, which wouldn't surprise me either.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:21:31 pm by _BL_Niner »

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:21:56 pm
Before the season started I was expecting this to be a competitive win for the niners. I was mistaken. The defense looked fine but the offense seems to have taken a step back from last year. Mullen seems limited in his schemes. I'm also starting to wonder if Lambert is the coach that can take the program over the hump to the next phase.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 10:28:07 pm
The defensive line was pretty good tonight.  I think emu had a decent oline so I think there is a little potential there.  Doctor and Horne both played pretty well.  I wasn't impressed with the lb's and DB's.

I think Washington has promise, but I think we are going to have a terrible time moving the ball this season.  Duke might be the biggest loss we have just because the defense had to cover him and it stretched them.

I also think the oline could be better.

It's going to be a long 14 days, but I do think this team will roll up A and T.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 10:36:21 pm
Overall, we sucked.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:32 pm
Down 7-17 with 60 sec left in the 2nd quarter, 4th and 2 at the 50 yd line... coach decides to run the clock down to 30 sec and punt. Why not snap at 30 sec and go for it? If you don't make it you leave them 25 sec.

Down 7-24 in the 4th quarter, it's 4th and inches on about our own 30 yd line and we punt.

Why? With our inability to move the ball on offense, I don't understand why Lambert isn't taking chances. Our defense is definitely the strength of the team.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:56:38 pm by cibik02 »

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:02 pm
Before the season started I was expecting this to be a competitive win for the niners. I was mistaken. The defense looked fine but the offense seems to have taken a step back from last year. Mullen seems limited in his schemes. I'm also starting to wonder if Lambert is the coach that can take the program over the hump to the next phase.
you're just now starting to wonder that?

We have had 4 years of questionable decisions, playcalling, and undisciplined play. Things that extend beyond the talent level of the players we have been able to recruit.  Lambert may pass the ear test when you stick him in front of a mic, but he has never passed the eye test on the field.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 10:44:12 pm
The defensive line was pretty good tonight.  I think emu had a decent oline so I think there is a little potential there.

Stats were posted in shoutbox this week about EMUs OLine. IIRC, one guy had 13 starts, no one else had more than 2, and a couple were first time starters.  EMU fans were worried about their OLine going into tonight.

Doctor and Horne both played pretty well.  I wasn't impressed with the lb's and DB's.

First, I am a Timmy Horne fan. He looked good tonight. I think our LBs are pretty good. Our DBs are limited by scheme. I can't decide if they can cover or not because they really aren't asked to. They are coached to keep everything in front of them.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:38 pm
The defense played well. They only gave up 17 points despite constantly getting put in bad position tonight by the offense. Also one of those long pass plays was a blown coverage and that unfortunately happens in the first game. I have been a big Wally fan and am again tonight.

The offense looked broken. The plan of attack (going at them up the middle the first half) was poor. The OL had too many penalties, the WRs too many drops, and Klugh was off.

The special teams played well with the notable exception of Mullen. If he's returning punts next week someone needs to be fired. Even the fair catches by him frighten me.

This game did not go at all as I expected.

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 11:16:46 pm
Disappointed
Coach Lambert should have had the BALLS to sit 88 after that stupid late hit in the first half that effectively killed the drive that very likely would have ended up with a score. Not only would it have shook that kid up, it would have sent a message to the entire team that we do NOT tolerate lack of discipline.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:53 pm
Down 7-17 with 60 sec left in the 2nd quarter, 4th and 2 at the 50 yd line... coach decides to run the clock down to 30 sec and punt. Why not snap at 30 sec and go for it? If you don't make it you leave them 25 sec.

We should have at least lined up for the snap and tried to draw them offsides, which would have given us a first down.  If they did not jump, we could have then run a play before time expired or call time. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:23:42 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:26 am
you're just now starting to wonder that?

We have had 4 years of questionable decisions, playcalling, and undisciplined play. Things that extend beyond the talent level of the players we have been able to recruit.  Lambert may pass the ear test when you stick him in front of a mic, but he has never passed the eye test on the field.

My ear test finds Lambert bland and boring, which to me is why he doesn't recruit at a high level.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos