Author Topic: A&T postgame  (Read 4726 times)

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #75 on: September 17, 2017, 06:30:39 pm
All we had to do was run the ball down their throats, looked pretty simple for me and the guys I was watching with.

Tailgating was fun. 

The end (maybe of a lot of things)

I annoyed everyone in my section with my incredulity that we wouldn't just run the damn ball down their throats.
They couldn't handle the truth?

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #76 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:30 am

I like his comments about all our Richardson money and how they have to get free pork chops from Dirty Red.

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #77 on: September 18, 2017, 10:55:03 am
On a positive note it looked like the Beer Garden was a success.

They need 4 point of purchase though, FWIW had a blast tailgating, I'll continue to go to the games, but, I won't be captivated to stay past 3rd Quarter until we have a better product to watch...  We rally and win next week

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #78 on: September 18, 2017, 11:04:16 am

They need 4 point of purchase though, FWIW had a blast tailgating, I'll continue to go to the games, but, I won't be captivated to stay past 3rd Quarter until we have a better product to watch...  We rally and win next week

Not sure if this happened in other sections...but in my FSL section (103), when we scored the TD at the end of the 3rd Quarter to cut the lead to 11 with one quarter to go (and finally make it a game)....there was a FLOOD of people that left. 

At least 1/3 of the section left.
After WE scored...to finally make it a game!
With a full quarter left to go!

WTF is that all about!?!?!?

I understand leaving if we had NOT scored. But seriously...wtf!?!?!?

Our fans might be more dysfunctional than our AD.

Seriously.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #79 on: September 18, 2017, 11:35:17 am
I didn't get to watch the first two games of the season but was at the game this weekend so wanted to share what I saw.

Offensive Line - We have size on our offensive linemen but they have no speed or quickness to them.  The A&T defense were running by our linemen like they were standing still.  They were hitting Klugh before he could even look downfield on some of the drop backs.  They were also lunging in the run blocking which caused several holding penalties on the running plays.  They settled down in the second half but they were not prepared for that quickness.

Tight End/H back - they have become non existent in our offense.  With all the wide receiver routes being out routes, there's ok entry of room down the middle of the field.

Wide receivers - a kid could scheme against our wide receivers.  Ten yards down field and out.  The slot guy ten yard and across the middle.  A&T was so shocked that Ford ran a post at the end of the third quarter that he was wide open for the TD. Quattlebaum can't catch or is afraid to get hit so he doesn't catch anything over the middle. The wide receivers have no one to replace Duke. There is no real speed or quickness that scares defenses.

Quarterback - 13 of 29, 2 interceptions leading to all second half points for A&T, a release time measured in seconds instead of tenths of a second.  He is not a pure drop back passer. He is an athlete so he needs to be put into a position to succeed.

Running backs - LeMay was a beast.  He put the entire team on his back. Almost every carry, he was breaking tackles. And of course LeMay would get us down to score and they send him to the bench and bring in Washington.  Washington was ok but he doesn't seem to have the same vision as LeMay.  He chooses and hits the hole but saw several times he ran right into the defense when a slight cut and there was a hole.  We don't do anything to get the ball to both these guys in space.

Defensive Line - they played ok against the run.  Take out the Qb scramble/runs and they allowed about 3 yards a carry and Duncan provided the only pressure we got all game on the QB.

Line backers - they were solid. They still struggle with QB confinement on scrambles. The outside linebackers end up in coverage too much so we get no QB pressure from them.

D-backs -   This was supposed to be our strength but in the first quarter their receivers were running right past us for long gains and their QB had 62% completion percentage. 

Special teams - pretty good which is a huge improvement for us.  Punt returns you still hold your breath every time he goes to catch the ball.

Coaching - we are probably the most vanilla, conservative team there is.   Offense, we run the same pass routes on almost every play and have for the past several seasons.  We rarely run deep routes and we don't believe in using the middle 80ft of the field. Watching Saturday and A&T had all 11 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Their safeties were guarding the sideline and dropping linebackers into middle of the field but of course we don't have anyone with creativity calling plays.  Defense, they adapted well after the first quarter (240 yards in 1st quarter, 180 yards other three quarters but why did it take that long to adapt. We still play that conservative 7-10 yards off the receiver and the scheme and formations are the same we have ran for last several years.  Only reason to run a 3-4 defense is the pressure from the linebackers but we expect the defensive line to get pressure so their QB has all day to find an open receiver.  The game plan on offense and defense was non existent.  We adapt to other teams game plan instead of making them adapt to our.  We let a lower level team push us around.  The entire game felt like we were trying to upset a higher level team.  We played scared, undisciplined , reactive. If this was year 2 or 3 then would of been happy how they finished strong but in year 5 this was unacceptable

NinerAdvocate

Reply #80 on: September 18, 2017, 01:08:00 pm
That entire post had me nodding in agreement. Well said on all counts, maybe with exception of our DBs - I think our DB strength was supposed to be at Safety, not CB.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #81 on: September 18, 2017, 05:12:07 pm

Not sure if this happened in other sections...but in my FSL section (103), when we scored the TD at the end of the 3rd Quarter to cut the lead to 11 with one quarter to go (and finally make it a game)....there was a FLOOD of people that left. 

At least 1/3 of the section left.
After WE scored...to finally make it a game!
With a full quarter left to go!

WTF is that all about!?!?!?

I understand leaving if we had NOT scored. But seriously...wtf!?!?!?

Our fans might be more dysfunctional than our AD.

Seriously.

We were gonna leave if we didn't score, but we did so we stayed... but given the outcome, not sure I would have cared if I missed that ending.

emf

• Senior
Reply #82 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:19 pm
Excuses Show

Alumni93

• Walk On
Reply #83 on: September 18, 2017, 06:02:18 pm
Our section 113 pretty much stayed until the interception. 

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #84 on: September 18, 2017, 06:10:44 pm
Excuses Show

How shameful is it that we STILL have our coaches show at noon on mondays.
#bus1

niner319

• Walk On
Reply #85 on: September 18, 2017, 06:17:06 pm
Excuses Show

How shameful is it that we STILL have our coaches show at noon on mondays.

I cannot believe I listened to this.  "You know as fate would have it probably one of the worst things that could happen to us was we started off so fast, we get the turnover off the kickoff score in three plays, and everybody is like oh this this is going to be easy right here."  In no way is getting off to a 7-0 start one of the worst things that could have happened. 

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos