Author Topic: FIU post mortem  (Read 2368 times)

austinniner

• Senior
on: September 30, 2017, 10:24:18 pm
What.  the actual. F@#K. :o
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

NinerAdvocate

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:54 pm
HEY GUYS IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE VOLLEYBALL f***ing WON!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT?!!???

Fire Judy! Fire Lambert!

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:29:18 pm
OK, I went into this game expecting to lose, but all I wanted was to see improvement.  I got it - we were way better and competed.  What does that tell us?

*  Addition by subtraction:  we were instantly better just because Mullen wasn't calling the plays

Coaching and play calling still horrible, but at least it's better.

I was calling it a loss after midway through the 3rd quarter.  The team actually surprised me by actually having a chance to win it, but again the coaching and play calling at the end left me shaking my head and declaring a loss.

They got my hopes up just to F@#K up in the most colossal fashion ever.  Should I be surprised?  NO> sad thing is I expected this kind of F@#K up from our coaching staff.  Had we not had a chance to win it, I'd be in a better mood, but it's getting hard to follow these clowns.  Is it basketball season yet?

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:40 pm
and I'll add this:  The team looked TOTALLY uninspired the entire second half.  No fire.  Nothing. I put this on the coaches also.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:31:12 pm
What.  the actual. F@#K. :o

Hey now.  You need to curb your negativity.  Volleyball won.  "We are right where we want to be."

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:35:23 pm
Guys. We are on the precipice of doom. Our program could go winless and be the laughing stock of college football. Our stadium is going to look like FIUs at this rate.

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:36:24 pm
When we were up 29-14 in the third quarter, I expected to lose. That's bad. They've done it to us time and time again blowing leads. 0-5. If we didn't start the game off kicking their ass, I wouldn't be so pissed off. It's consistently getting out coached and out played in the second half that kills me. Whatever. I'll see you guys next week for another let down.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:05 pm
Things looked on the upswing in the first half but then Butch made adjustments. And like everyone said it looked like we were going to lose once the second half started getting underway.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:22 pm
Guys. We are on the precipice of doom. Our program could go winless and be the laughing stock of college football. Our stadium is going to look like FIUs at this rate.

This sounds awful, but honestly I hope we go winless. I fear that if we win even one game lambert will be saved. The only thing that saves us right now is a new AD and/or head coach.

49ersRock

• Walk On
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:44:33 pm
Never ever go for two after driving down the field and scoring on an opening drive.It will usually come back to bite you and it bit the 49ers tonight.Just another reason to clean house and start over.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 10:51:40 pm
On the positive that's the first time we played watchable football all year. Adkins put our offensive players in the best position to succeed and that hasn't happened since the inception of the program.

Having said that this is a gut shot. How many high schools in the Charlotte area have not missed an XP in the five years we have missed them time and time again? Who thought that 48 yarder had any chance of going in? If it was 4th and 20 kick it, 4th and 2...You go.

If the O plays like that I think we win a game or two, but still is that enough?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:59:59 pm by chidave »

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:00:54 pm
On the positive that's the first time we played watchable football all year. Adkins put our offensive players in the best position to succeed and that hasn't happened since the inception of the program.

Having said that this is a gut shot. How many high schools in the Charlotte area have not missed an XP in the five years we have missed them time and time again? Who thought that 48 yarder had any chance of going in? If it was 4th and 20 kick it, 4th and 2...You go.

If the O plays like that I think we win a game or two, but still is that enough?
Plays like the first half*

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 11:01:22 pm

This sounds awful, but honestly I hope we go winless. I fear that if we win even one game lambert will be saved. The only thing that saves us right now is a new AD and/or head coach.

The issues start at the top. It's that simple. It's like that in any disfunctional organization. Until Rose is gone she will continue to make poor hires. You guys screaming for Lambert to go should think about who's going to hire the next coach. The same one who hired and extended and fired Major and the same one who hired Price with no head coaching experience and the same one that hired Lambert. I'm not saying that any of us had a crystal ball and knew they were bad (Jury still out a bit on Price) hires but the simple fact is that she hired them. She is the leader of this athletic department and has to bear the responsibilities for the poor performance over the past.

Wishing for this same person to hire our next coach is asking for trouble.

Better to hope she gets asked to retire or gets moved up to associate dean of athletic fundraising (forget who had that idea but I love it).

As far as her getting fired. That's not going to happen. She has too much equity at the school to be fired. It will come in the form of retirement or a promotion out of the way.

I'm pretty much shutting down all hopes of success until that happens.

I don't understand what the people above Judy are thinking.

How does someone keep their job with results this bad???  It just boggles the mind how people are allowed to just go on year after mediocre year with no accountability. If feel like I live in a different world. Seriously I have never had a job my entire life that performance like hers would not have gotten me fired.

I don't understand it. I never will.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 12:08:46 am
clt says congrats to the volleyball team

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 01:41:23 am

Women's basketball starts soon.  These are exciting times for Judy.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 02:59:49 am

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 06:10:27 am
How do we go about recruiting kickers? Why do we or consistently miss extra points? That alone has cost us two or three wins. Most high school teams have better extra point kicking percentages than we do.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 09:15:37 am
How do we go about recruiting kickers? Why do we or consistently miss extra points? That alone has cost us two or three wins. Most high school teams have better extra point kicking percentages than we do.

This is only our 5th year.  Most of these high schools have had teams for a much longer time.  You need to manage those expectations. 

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 09:21:23 am
Could be we haven't uncovered anyone on the squad who is talented at holding. For a kicker, I mean. We have enough talent at holding opposing players in front of the refs.

Star Wars Maniac

• Walk On
Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:42:12 am
at least the offenses finally moved the ball and scored points but im waiting for mens basketball season to begin

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 10:31:01 am
I could not bring myself to tune into the game, but was tempted by the halftime score and stats.  However, while Charlie Brown never learned to resist kicking Lucy’s balls, I learned from his experiences.  So I avoided another Niner kick in the balls.  At this point, Lambert is just showing up.  The new OC did so well, perhaps another promotion demotion is in order.

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 11:42:50 am
However, while Charlie Brown never learned to resist kicking Lucy’s balls, I learned from his experiences.  So I avoided another Niner kick in the balls. 

At halftime...I literally almost posted on here that we were in perfect position to "Pull a Niner" but literally didn't want to piss on the positivity of being in position to actually win a game.

Oh well.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

HoustonNiner

• Walk On
Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:03 pm
This was probably the toughest loss for me this season. If you look at the stat line it's clear we have talented players. Klugh generated over 300 yards of offense, resulting in 4 TDs. His accuracy is still an issue, but the added mobility makes up for some of that. He also didn't throw a single Int.

LeMay had a monster night, at least in the first half. Foggie had a nice interception. Only 5 penalties for 40 yards, compared to 11 for over 100 yards in the season opener. The refs screwed us by not calling a roughing the passer on that nasty hit on Hart that would have given us a first down deep in FIU territory. The failure to get the extra points early in the game cost us, as it always does. Not sure what we were thinking going for the two point conversion. Some kind of shock and awe tactic? Just get the extra point!

FIU made some adjustments at the half and shut down our running game. We couldn't get any pressure on McGough, and our DBs are weak. Our coaching staff couldn't come up with an answer. Ultimately this was a very winnable game that came down to a few bad decisions/bad breaks.

I don't see a mid-season firing of Lambert. And if they do, who would take the job? This is easily the least coveted head coaching job in the FBS. I foresee a long road ahead with more losing seasons to come. The only hope we have is if the fans and alumni are patient and continue to support the team. I seriously doubt C-USA would drop the University as a whole, but could they selectively drop our football program? If so, there would likely not be any other takers at the FBS level and we'd drop back down to an FCS conference, which one could argue is where we belong anyway.  I'm assuming the decision to accelerate the move to FBS was based on revenue. Football programs are very costly. 

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 12:39:28 pm
Could be we haven't uncovered anyone on the squad who is talented at holding. For a kicker, I mean. We have enough talent at holding opposing players in front of the refs.

We had two different kickers yesterday one made kicks the other didn’t. I’m assuming they both had the same holder. If the holder is the problem that makes the coaches look even more pathetic. This is college scholarship level football. We shouldn’t be missing an extra points in almost every game.

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 12:48:23 pm
and I'll add this:  The team looked TOTALLY uninspired the entire second half.  No fire.  Nothing. I put this on the coaches also.

Lambert has never inspired me when I have heard him speak. And not impressed with his X's and O's either.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos