Author Topic: 2018 Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 5559 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 10:50:46 pm
Catching up on visitors from the NC A&T and Georgia State games:  https://agent49.net/football-visitors-ncat-and-gast-games/

Hopefully I can pull a list of guys for the UAB game as well.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 11:19:31 am
Since this is UAB week. How many transfer players do we have coming in next season? If we ever want to be half decent in football we need transfers along with Jucos and traditional four year recruits.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:52 am
Since this is UAB week. How many transfer players do we have coming in next season? If we ever want to be half decent in football we need transfers along with Jucos and traditional four year recruits.

I imagine our new staff will bring in many transfers and jucos to replace the many that we will inevitably lose to Jucos and transfer.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 05:18:46 pm
Lots of recruits at Day 1 of Spring Ball
They did offer an OL from Ravenscroft it looks like Calvin Atkeson
Jeremiah Gray from Charlotte Christian was there as well, coached against him last year kid can play
Myles Berry from Dudley was also there, certainly a player we'd want. Good kid too
Nigel Fitzgerald who is a stud from Dudley was also offered by Charlotte as well
Fitzgerald picks ODU over Charlotte and NC A&T.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/n-c-receiver-picks-old-dominion-his-coach-says-monarchs/article_62591f53-7e55-535c-8b28-11785c37b2d0.html

ghostofclt

• Sophomore

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 11:07:37 pm
This class is bad. We not lose a thing if we lose Lambert. 

I do think the QB from south Iredell is pretty good
#bus1

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 09:05:12 am
clt says this is a problem: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

Why is our recruiting ranked so poorly?  Is it that our coaches cannot recruit?  Are we allocating less money for recruiting?  Does the small stadium size hurt us?  Something needs to change.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 11:38:08 am
clt says this is a problem: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=C-USA

Why is our recruiting ranked so poorly?  Is it that our coaches cannot recruit?  Are we allocating less money for recruiting?  Does the small stadium size hurt us?  Something needs to change.

clt says losing curry hurt in a bigly way. We should be getting 3 and 4 star recruits.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 11:44:32 am

clt says losing curry hurt in a bigly way. We should be getting 3 and 4 star recruits.

Losing guys like Curry, Sykes, and Ratliff has really hurt our recruiting.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 11:47:14 am

Losing Robert Washington our only 4 star recruit ever a few games into the season is very telling about this staff.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 01:31:50 pm
This s*** ain't good for my mental health.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 02:55:23 pm
We are selling a 1 win product backed by an AD that is ok with a 1 win product. Competitive kids want no part of this dumpster fire.
#bus1

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 04:05:48 pm

all of those things hurt us except maybe the recruiting budget. I don't know how we stack up against others, but if budget is a concern, we probably wouldn't be ignoring the local schools.

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 04:24:03 pm

all of those things hurt us except maybe the recruiting budget. I don't know how we stack up against others, but if budget is a concern, we probably wouldn't be ignoring the local schools.

Lambert comes across pretty bland and boring so I don't see him being exciting to high school players.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 11:13:31 pm
From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

clt says this is from the appy chat board.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 07:17:24 am
From what I have heard from recent Football recruits, UNC Charlotte puts on a great first impression (Campus and Atmosphere) even better than APPS, but for right now, what changes some of their minds is that the UNC Charlotte football program is in the garbage right now. If App has some rough years down the road (hopefully not) that could change. I have a recruit right now for 2018 and for him it has come down to UNC Charlotte and APP. Everytime I bring up the tradition and exposure ASU Football could give him, he understands but also brings up something he likes about Charlotte.

This is why we need a new head coach. Ideally, a head coach that has won something somewhere. We don’t have tradition because we are only five years old. Lambert hasn’t established a winning precedent so what can he pitch at this point? “Come to Charlotte where we might win three or four game if we get lucky”. He can’t really sell being a founding father anymore.

The next coach will have the opportunity to rebrand Charlotte football. When we recruit head to head against App or ECU for that matter we always can ask the recruit “what do you like to do for fun?” or “where would you like to work after college?” then walk them over to the light rail and talk about the nightlife and job opportunities in our growing vibrant city.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:05 pm

This is why we need a new head coach. Ideally, a head coach that has won something somewhere. We don’t have tradition because we are only five years old. Lambert hasn’t established a winning precedent so what can he pitch at this point? “Come to Charlotte where we might win three or four game if we get lucky”. He can’t really sell being a founding father anymore.

The next coach will have the opportunity to rebrand Charlotte football. When we recruit head to head against App or ECU for that matter we always can ask the recruit “what do you like to do for fun?” or “where would you like to work after college?” then walk them over to the light rail and talk about the nightlife and job opportunities in our growing vibrant city.

Yes, we have lost any momentum we used to have by being brand new.  We can't sell winning tradition, there's only so much we can sell on facilities (many schools have nice facilities now).  Selling the city of Charlotte will work only to a degree.  We need something to bring excitement back to the program.  A new staff would do it (if the person is a hot new hire), but I would be willing to settle for just a new offensive coordinator who is from the coaching tree of a great offensive mind and shows signs of being a great offensive mind, and outstanding recruiter.
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 12:29:37 am

Yes, we have lost any momentum we used to have by being brand new.  We can't sell winning tradition, there's only so much we can sell on facilities (many schools have nice facilities now).  Selling the city of Charlotte will work only to a degree.  We need something to bring excitement back to the program.  A new staff would do it (if the person is a hot new hire), but I would be willing to settle for just a new offensive coordinator who is from the coaching tree of a great offensive mind and shows signs of being a great offensive mind, and outstanding recruiter.

WINNING solves everything.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:02 am

Unless Judy is your AD in which case winning helps but even that can be screwed up.
Mahna Mahna

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:43 am

**Almost everything. When MBB was rolling, there were plenty of issues about the Observers lack of coverage, Halton not consistently selling out, etc.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 10:02:11 am
this thread is drifting away from the topic but Charlotte is a me-too town.   for a short time in the late 1970s if you were a 49er fan, you were cool.  then it stopped.  it was winning and leadership and presentation and aura.     there was a buzz about the university that enhanced the basketball team's success and the team's success created a buzz that juiced the entire university.   I'm not close to the situation now, but my impression is that the people who look at the university at all now do so without the enthusiasm that used to exist.   "Sad."
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 11:08:42 am
FAU did well.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos