Author Topic: clt asks about golf  (Read 34020 times)

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #175 on: July 22, 2015, 04:14:56 pm
6 players per team, only best four scores count. Thus, typically better to have 4 guys consistently 2-3 under par than one guy who torches the field with 65s and 3-5 hacks on his team in the high 70s or low 80s. Hack is relative to competitive golf. Obviously those guys shooting those scores are good golfers.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #176 on: July 22, 2015, 04:15:30 pm
I know golf is individual, but if we have a great team, we should have great individuals.
You need to familiarize yourself with the way college golf is scored.
care to elaborate for those of us that haven't familiarized themselves with the way it is scored?
Assuming your question is serious......................5 guys play for each team, best four scores are added together (each round) for the total team score. Lowest team score wins.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #177 on: July 22, 2015, 09:11:13 pm
^^^     i agree.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #178 on: July 25, 2015, 12:13:21 am
I actually think Ken makes a good point.  I too am surprised we haven't had a guy in recent years earn a tour card.  Yes, it is a team sport.  But most of the teams at the top generally do have a player or two on tour.  Georgia has like 10.  UAB just had the 54 hole leader of the British Open.  ETSU has a guy in the top 10 this week.

Ken is wrong about us always being ahead of Clemson though.  Clemson was a powerhouse about a decade ago.  They had 4 guys, from one collegiate team, to not only make the tour, but to also win a tournament on tour.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #179 on: July 25, 2015, 07:50:14 am
I actually think Ken makes a good point.  I too am surprised we haven't had a guy in recent years earn a tour card.  Yes, it is a team sport.  But most of the teams at the top generally do have a player or two on tour.  Georgia has like 10.  UAB just had the 54 hole leader of the British Open.  ETSU has a guy in the top 10 this week.

Ken is wrong about us always being ahead of Clemson though.  Clemson was a powerhouse about a decade ago.  They had 4 guys, from one collegiate team, to not only make the tour, but to also win a tournament on tour.

Clemson was very good at the same time we were having those National Top 10 finishes.  I think they won it all one of those years, perhaps the year we finished 3rd. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #180 on: July 25, 2015, 10:38:34 am
Golf is so hard to break through, mostly because the middling on the mini tours tends to be such a grind.  A lot like playing minor league baseball in that regard. Unless you're a freak, its typically a long road for even a good college player to make cuts on the web.com consistently, let alone the big tour.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos