Author Topic: clt asks about golf  (Read 38687 times)

NinerJags

• Freshman
Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 10:24:08 am
Team has been to finals in 2006 (finished 22nd), 2007 (finished 3rd) and 2008 (finished 8th). This will be 4th appearance. Yesterday's win was first ever win at a regional. Golfweek did rank the Chapel Hill regional as the toughest with #1 Florida State, Stanford (pac12 champs and #1 player), top 20 UNC (on their home course), was well as golf blue-bloods Florida, Wake, and Clemson. As well as regional powers Kennesaw St and 2010 & 2011 National champs GRU-Augusta, who was known as Augusta State at the time.

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 10:43:20 am
Way to go Niners!  I could not be prouder of this accomplishment and the NCAA Championships will be played on the Golf Channel.  We will be able to watch and cheer them on.

Can't wait to read the hometown coverage in the big O.  So far the coverage has been non-existent at least on-line.

Look on-line under sports, other sports... it's there, just not front page.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 11:33:40 am
I looked and looked but couldn't find it but I certainly trust you that something was written.  I will not let this dampen my spirits, I am just glad that we are finally making some progress in any sport.  I have a hard time complaining about CUSA when we have represented so poorly.  I am very proud of the golf team.  UAB also won their regional.  There are some schools in CUSA with some great potential including us.  I am glad we are finally showing it.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:18 pm
I have a hard time complaining about CUSA when we have represented so poorly. 

Glad see someone else gets it.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 02:42:53 pm
Team has been to finals in 2006 (finished 22nd), 2007 (finished 3rd) and 2008 (finished 8th). This will be 4th appearance. Yesterday's win was first ever win at a regional. Golfweek did rank the Chapel Hill regional as the toughest with #1 Florida State, Stanford (pac12 champs and #1 player), top 20 UNC (on their home course), was well as golf blue-bloods Florida, Wake, and Clemson. As well as regional powers Kennesaw St and 2010 & 2011 National champs GRU-Augusta, who was known as Augusta State at the time.
And you may remember that after the first or second day of the finals in 07 we were leading. This was also the year we were ranked #1 in the nation for several weeks.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 03:58:04 pm
It was not easy to find, but there is an article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/other-sports/article21180528.html
#unc-CHeatingPays

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 05:09:50 pm
We.....are....a....golf.....school.  :-\ :)) ;D ;)
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 05:53:08 pm

Check the incorrect note about our "best ever finish as a team was 6th in 2010". WTH?

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 06:15:40 pm

Check the incorrect note about our "best ever finish as a team was 6th in 2010". WTH?
F'ck the Observer.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 06:28:23 pm

F'ck the Observer.

I had to read about our success in the Regional in the Winston-Salem Journal the first 2 days because I could not find coverage in the O.

This would have been a bigger story in the O if the tarholes had won.  Did anyone really expect anything any different?  First, the O ignores our success the first 2 days, then they hide the article about us winning, and then they make ANOTHER ACCIDENTAL MISTAKE of not giving us credit for previous accomplishments. 

WHO from the school is responsible for media relations? 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 06:29:24 pm

F'ck the Observer.

I had to read about our success in the Regional in the Winston-Salem Journal the first 2 days because I could not find coverage in the O.

This would have been a bigger story in the O if the tarholes had won.  Did anyone really expect anything any different?  First, the O ignores our success the first 2 days, then they hide the article about us winning, and then they make ANOTHER ACCIDENTAL MISTAKE of not giving us credit for previous accomplishments. 

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #61 on: May 17, 2015, 06:30:39 pm

F'ck the Observer.

Is is possible that their School of Journalism has no-show and paper courses too?  Maybe the writers at the O just do not know how to cover the news.
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #62 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:47 pm
NinerMike checking in in 5... 4... 3...
Mahna Mahna

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #63 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:57 pm

Were they referring to our previous best regional finish? That's how I read it.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 09:14:04 pm
Nah, if we finish 6th in the regionals, then we could have never made the finals.  Had to finish higher than sixth to make the Championship round.  The O just sucks or doesn't care.  My opinion both apply.     
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:16:39 pm by FSL Owner »

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 09:26:56 pm
Nah, if we finish 6th in the regionals, then we could have never made the finals.  Had to finish higher than sixth to make the Championship round.  The O just sucks or doesn't care.  My opinion both apply.   

The top 5 was a recent change was my understanding.

I'm not defending the O, just would rather people not stick their foot in their mouth 

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 09:31:02 pm

I'm not defending the O, just would rather people not stick their foot in their mouth

ahhh. go ahead.    what the hell?  it's just NN.N
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #67 on: May 18, 2015, 06:40:53 am
According to the Charlotte Golf Media Guide we finished 5th in the East Regional in 2007 and 3rd in the Championship Round.  You may be right about the top five being a change. 

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #68 on: May 18, 2015, 06:42:55 am

F'ck the Observer.

Is is possible that their School of Journalism has no-show and paper courses too?  Maybe the writers at the O just do not know how to cover the news.

Nugget may be on to something with that theory. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:39:44 am by 49r9r »

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #69 on: May 18, 2015, 09:27:21 am
Okay, GRU-Augusta is Augusta St.  I wondered who the hell that was. 
I know the G would be Georgia, and the U is University.  What is the R?  GRU-Augusta just sounds weird.
Georgia Regents U-Augusta?
Georgia Royal U-Augusta?
Georgia Regional U-Augusta?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #70 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:20 am

That part is technically correct--------but any half ass journalist would mention that we had advanced before and actually finished 3rd in the finals which is certainly a bigger accomplishment than even winning the regional. Wouldn't you think that would be a given to mention? Any "logical" reader would assume based on what they wrote that we have NEVER been to the "Finals" before.  Would they not?

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #71 on: May 18, 2015, 10:01:14 am
Okay, GRU-Augusta is Augusta St.  I wondered who the hell that was. 
I know the G would be Georgia, and the U is University.  What is the R?  GRU-Augusta just sounds weird.
Georgia Regents U-Augusta?
Georgia Royal U-Augusta?
Georgia Regional U-Augusta?

Augusta State University was a public university located in Augusta, Georgia, United States. On August 10, 2012, Augusta State merged with Georgia Health Sciences University to form Georgia Regents University.

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #72 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:06 am

That part is technically correct--------but any half ass journalist would mention that we had advanced before and actually finished 3rd in the finals which is certainly a bigger accomplishment than even winning the regional. Wouldn't you think that would be a given to mention? Any "logical" reader would assume based on what they wrote that we have NEVER been to the "Finals" before.  Would they not?

Agreed, that is how I would have taken it if I didn't know. I thought the exact same thing when reading it. Poor journalism strikes again.

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #73 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:08 am
You gents should not attack the "Orange County Gazette"as such. Besides, they are there to support the "mothership" of UNC-CHeat and no one else. 8)
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #74 on: May 18, 2015, 12:05:51 pm
Just call it GA Regents U.  GRU-Augusta just sounds awkward.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos