Author Topic: Stay tuned for a major athletics announcement coming up at 11:18am this morning!  (Read 8291 times)

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Welcome Coach Clark! This is indeed a major announcement and I am very excited that we are adding women's golf. I am all for expanding the athletic and academic opportunities available at this school. Adding women's golf is a great move.

I am very much against the money and major sports publicity over everything attitude.

The fact that some of you are complaining about this is embarrassing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:58:00 am by Ben H »

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Welcome, Coach Clark! Best of luck in hopefully continuing and building upon the great golf tradition we have started at this University!

Agreed, welcome Coach Clark! My anger at our weird athletic department's social media fails has nothing to do with our new women's golf team.
agreed
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Adding a sport is a major announcement.

Let's not be misogynists, ok?
I'm very pro NCAA women's sports.  Daughter being recruited as we speak.  But this is not a major annc.  It's good news but that's about it. I don't see NCAA women's golf championships on ESPN or espn7

Tweet set it up as much more
Actually womens golf finals covered extensively by ESPN
Extensively??
Depends on what you would call extensive I guess but they had the same amount of coverage as the guys this past year,  However it was on The Golf Channel not ESPn.  My mistake
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Welcome Coach Clark! This is indeed a major announcement and I am very excited that we are adding women's golf. I am all for expanding the athletic and academic opportunities available at this school. Adding women's golf is a great move.

I am very much against the money and major sports publicity over everything attitude.

I don't think anybody is complaining about the addition of Women's Golf, or about the hiring of a coach.

The complaints stem from the way it was handled, declaring it a "major athletics announcement."

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider stadium expansion to fit that description. The only things in my mind that do are those that have a fundamental impact on the entire athletic department as a whole.

I can only think of three things that would qualify as "major athletics announcements": a change in conferences, a change in leadership, and a change in branding.

Everything else is sport-specific.
DUCK FAVIDSON

chidave

• Junior
I think it's a good add, the men's golf team is pretty successful.

I guess our invite to the SEC will be made public at the next big announcement  ;).

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
So is Ben H, Judy in disguise?  Or maybe CHP?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
This board never ceases to amaze me.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Ben H, no offense to Coach Clark, but if hiring her is so big news, ask your coworkers what they think about our big news, & then tell them it's a women's golf coach.  I guarantee not one person will think it's a big deal, but almost all will look at you like you're an idiot.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Ben H, no offense to Coach Clark, but if hiring her is so big news, ask your coworkers what they think about our big news, & then tell them it's a women's golf coach.  I guarantee not one person will think it's a big deal, but almost all will look at you like you're an idiot.

Most of my coworkers are women, so they'd probably be pretty happy about it.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior

"Major" or "Big" news is relative. If the opposite happened, and they tweeted out "New golf coach. Welcome Coach Clark"...you guys would be all over the AD too. No excitement, no branding, blah blah. The fact this thread immediately turned into a bash fest says it all. 

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach

"Major" or "Big" news is relative. If the opposite happened, and they tweeted out "New golf coach. Welcome Coach Clark"...you guys would be all over the AD too. No excitement, no branding, blah blah. The fact this thread immediately turned into a bash fest says it all.
Grandpa Simpson weighs in.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
if this was m****, then there is only one way to announce our eventual joining of the SEC

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman

I don't think anybody is complaining about the addition of Women's Golf, or about the hiring of a coach.

The complaints stem from the way it was handled, declaring it a "major athletics announcement."

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider stadium expansion to fit that description. The only things in my mind that do are those that have a fundamental impact on the entire athletic department as a whole.

I can only think of three things that would qualify as "major athletics announcements": a change in conferences, a change in leadership, and a change in branding.

Everything else is sport-specific.
No big boy operation tweets "Major announcement" to name ladies golf coach

It's just more manifestation of our Harrisburg/Denver mindset. 

I would consider a new apparel website on par with our peers "major"

"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

49r9r

• Head Coach
When do we announce the new women's beach volleyball team?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
When do we announce the new women's beach volleyball team?
Don't know, but when we do it'll be major. (not Allen)

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
This is a big deal.  Its not comparable to football or basketball big deals, so why bother trying?  Those looking to get offended never need to look long or far. 

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
This thread is amazing in a major way.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Congrats to our new coach and good luck.  I'm not going to say anything else on this topic.
Mahna Mahna

s9er

• Head Coach
This is really a thread? This is the Starbucks red holiday cup of NN.N threads.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 10:47:24 am by s9er »

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
This is really a thread? This is the Starbucks red holiday cup or NN.N threads.

The 49ers' AD hates Jesus obviously.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

gamer

• Senior
Come on guys. Lets not let this become a wedge issue.
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain

Let's be honest this thread isn't even in the top 20.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach

Agreed.  Think some folks need a "safe space" to feel better about being "misled" by twitter.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Soccer just tanked, and we have basketball and football games coming up this weekend.  You would think those people that needed to jump off a bridge would have plenty of reasons without bitching about the meaning of "major".   :rolleyes:
#unc-CHeatingPays

49r9r

• Head Coach
I'm neutral and want to get back on topic.  I want the next major announcement to be about beach volleyball.  Other schools in the state have established girl's lacrosse and field hockey teams with multiple national championships.  Let's do something different.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:20:45 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos