Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Thread  (Read 47537 times)

sportsman1417, JaMiNNiNeR and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #575 on: May 19, 2017, 04:00:41 pm
Baseball is a funny game though. Just because a team is playing well right now (or poorly) does not mean they will be doing the same in their next few games. Just look at how Rice started the season vs. how they have been playing the last 2-3 weeks. It can go back the other way quickly. Our team has gone back and forth from Hot to Cold 3-4 times this season.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #576 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:47 pm
Baseball is a funny game though. Just because a team is playing well right now (or poorly) does not mean they will be doing the same in their next few games. Just look at how Rice started the season vs. how they have been playing the last 2-3 weeks. It can go back the other way quickly. Our team has gone back and forth from Hot to Cold 3-4 times this season.
hopefully we swing back to hot next week since we probably lost out opportunity for an at large.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #577 on: May 19, 2017, 04:26:18 pm
RPI is at 69 now.  Marshall finished 2nd last year and had a 59 RPI and did not get an at-large.  They went 2-2 in the tourney.

We'd probably have to get 3 wins in Biloxi to get considered for an at-large if we are a 3 or 4 seed.  That might get our RPI down into the 40s.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #578 on: May 19, 2017, 04:53:28 pm
hopefully we swing back to hot next week since we probably lost out opportunity for an at large.

Looks like we are getting back there now. 3 wins in a row (hopefully 4 heading to Biloxi).

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #579 on: May 19, 2017, 04:55:56 pm
RPI is at 69 now.  Marshall finished 2nd last year and had a 59 RPI and did not get an at-large.  They went 2-2 in the tourney.

We'd probably have to get 3 wins in Biloxi to get considered for an at-large if we are a 3 or 4 seed.  That might get our RPI down into the 40s.

You're probably right about all of that, but I suspect Marshall did not have as many quality wins last year as we have this year. That should help us. However, I do still agree that an RPI of 59 almost certainly won't get us an at-large.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #580 on: May 19, 2017, 10:27:31 pm
ODU rallies with a four spot in the ninth to wrap up the two seed. Not sure how hard they will try to win tomorrow to give us a shot at the three.
Should we fail to win against Marshall, things could become complicated.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #581 on: May 20, 2017, 05:05:46 pm
Niners get the sweep by winning the 3rd game 9-5.  I guess the good news is that we are now on a 4 game winning streak. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #582 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:19 pm
Niners get the sweep by winning the 3rd game 9-5.  I guess the good news is that we are now on a 4 game winning streak.
We will be the 4 seed. La Tech will be the 5.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #583 on: May 20, 2017, 10:31:08 pm
Finished the season tied for 3rd in the 5th best conference in the country.  We were picked to finish 6th.

There were plenty of ups and downs but I'd say we've had a successful regular season. Now let's make some noise in the Tourney!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #584 on: May 21, 2017, 09:51:12 am
Finished the season tied for 3rd in the 5th best conference in the country.  We were picked to finish 6th.

There were plenty of ups and downs but I'd say we've had a successful regular season. Now let's make some noise in the Tourney!
As a non-baseball fan I have enjoyed following the team's success this year.  It seems that we had two stretches where the wheels came off, but if we had played remotely like we did the rest of the season we probably would have finished second in the conference which makes me think the coaches are getting it done, but kids will be kids.  I hope we squeak into the NCAAs as a reward for the good work they did.  It isn't over yet, but I am already looking forward to next season.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #585 on: May 21, 2017, 10:40:33 am
We were 7-11 against teams that made the conference tournament and we did not play the team that ran away with the league. Good luck to us.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #586 on: May 21, 2017, 02:49:52 pm
All we have to do is win the next 9 games and we are going to Omaha.  Even more encouraging, we only have to win the next 14 games to win the National Championship.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #587 on: May 21, 2017, 03:21:45 pm
All we have to do is win the next 9 games and we are going to Omaha.  Even more encouraging, we only have to win the next 14 games to win the National Championship.
Terrible expectation management.  :D

emf

• Senior
Reply #588 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:26 pm
Terrible expectation management.  :D

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #589 on: May 22, 2017, 10:33:52 am
Our series with LaTech was fairly evenly matched when we played in March.  We won 13-7, lost 12-7, and won 4-2.  Lots has changed since then. 

Pitching strategy is huge in a tournament like this and we used guys accordingly preparing for short rest coming up in the tournament.  With our lack of pitching depth, it is even more critical for us.  It should be interesting to see what we do. 

Laws, who likely will get the start in this game, had a solid outing against them last time, pitching 7 innings, striking out 6 and only allowing 2 earned runs.  We also knocked their starter out in the 3rd inning, but he appears to no longer be a starter for them.  Our pen gave up 5 runs in the 9th to make the game appear closer than it was.

The other option for us to start is Matt Brooks.  He threw on Friday to close out game 2 but only threw 25 pitches.  He pitched 3 innings of relief against LaTech in game 3 back in March and ended up getting the Win, allowing only 1 ER.

Based on LaTech's recent pitching rotation, it looks like we will likely face Freshman LHP Kyle Griffin (5-3 4.55 ERA).  His only three starts have been over the last 3 weeks of the season.  They are 2-1 in those games.  He did not pitch in the series against us at the Hayes. 

The other option for them, and probably their best pitcher of late is Senior RHP Nate Harris (9-0, 1.75 ERA).  He pitched on Friday, so they would have to use him on short rest against us.  I would think they are trying to save him for a possible match-up with USM.  He closed out their only win against us at the Hayes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:36:22 am by Mr. Bojangles »

Tyro Niner

• Walk On
Reply #590 on: May 22, 2017, 12:20:18 pm

Reached out to Harry Pickett at the Observer trying to get a little coverage with the tournament coming up. While I appreciate the response, it seems like they will continue to ignore us. This is sad state of affairs. If it doesn't do well digitally, from a revenue perspective, they won't cover it. His response:

"Good to hear from you.

Tom, we'll have coverage on the 49ers this week to preview the tournament.

I do wish college baseball did better, but our metrics show the sport doesn't do well with our readers, who crave more Panthers, Hornets, NASCAR, UNC Tar Heels basketball and recruiting coverage.

We did a preseason package on the 49ers' baseball team, then another at mid-season when it was on a roll. Neither did well for us digitally. From a business standpoint, it just doesn't make much sense to pour a lot of resources into a sport that doesn't help us generate revenue.

Tom, the strategy for each newspaper is so different. Unlike most of the cities in North Carolina, Charlotte is more of a professional sports town, with NFL, NBA and NASCAR. Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Raleigh focus more on college coverage. It's really a matter of understanding your audience and studying the daily metrics.

Tom, I hope this sheds some light on our daily strategies - and challenges.

Again, thanks for reaching out to me.

Very, very sincerely,

Harry"

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #591 on: May 22, 2017, 01:06:34 pm
I completely understand their logic and support them chasing the dollars.  If I was a shareholder I would be disappointed in anything else.  However, they should not assume that their approach is smart.  Not based on their results.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

ghostofclt

• Walk On
Reply #592 on: May 22, 2017, 01:15:15 pm
our readers, who crave more Panthers, Hornets, NASCAR, UNC Tar Heels basketball and recruiting coverage.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #593 on: May 22, 2017, 01:50:04 pm
Charlotte may be a "professional sports town", but Charlotte does not have a very professional newspaper.

Their response was total bullshit.  They have covered tarhole, nc state, and usc games, with the emphasis on tarhole games.  They even pimped the tarhole's game at Knight Stadium to get more people to show up. 

Other papers cover their local team.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #594 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:07 pm
I completely understand their logic and support them chasing the dollars.  If I was a shareholder I would be disappointed in anything else.  However, they should not assume that their approach is smart.  Not based on their results.

If you're a shareholder in a newspaper company, you should be disappointed in yourself.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #595 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:58 pm
Our series with LaTech was fairly evenly matched when we played in March.  We won 13-7, lost 12-7, and won 4-2.  Lots has changed since then. 

Pitching strategy is huge in a tournament like this and we used guys accordingly preparing for short rest coming up in the tournament.  With our lack of pitching depth, it is even more critical for us.  It should be interesting to see what we do. 

Laws, who likely will get the start in this game, had a solid outing against them last time, pitching 7 innings, striking out 6 and only allowing 2 earned runs.  We also knocked their starter out in the 3rd inning, but he appears to no longer be a starter for them.  Our pen gave up 5 runs in the 9th to make the game appear closer than it was.

The other option for us to start is Matt Brooks.  He threw on Friday to close out game 2 but only threw 25 pitches.  He pitched 3 innings of relief against LaTech in game 3 back in March and ended up getting the Win, allowing only 1 ER.

Based on LaTech's recent pitching rotation, it looks like we will likely face Freshman LHP Kyle Griffin (5-3 4.55 ERA).  His only three starts have been over the last 3 weeks of the season.  They are 2-1 in those games.  He did not pitch in the series against us at the Hayes. 

The other option for them, and probably their best pitcher of late is Senior RHP Nate Harris (9-0, 1.75 ERA).  He pitched on Friday, so they would have to use him on short rest against us.  I would think they are trying to save him for a possible match-up with USM.  He closed out their only win against us at the Hayes.

LaTech's coach announced today that Nate Harris will pitch against us on Wednesday.  He pitched 2.2 innings against us at the Hayes in March and ended up picking up a Save in their only win over us.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #596 on: May 22, 2017, 02:27:37 pm
Well from a business perspective with taking off the green tinted glasses... makes sense I suppose.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #597 on: May 22, 2017, 03:10:10 pm

Reached out to Harry Pickett at the Observer trying to get a little coverage with the tournament coming up. While I appreciate the response, it seems like they will continue to ignore us. This is sad state of affairs. If it doesn't do well digitally, from a revenue perspective, they won't cover it. His response:

"Good to hear from you.

Tom, we'll have coverage on the 49ers this week to preview the tournament.

I do wish college baseball did better, but our metrics show the sport doesn't do well with our readers, who crave more Panthers, Hornets, NASCAR, UNC Tar Heels basketball and recruiting coverage.

We did a preseason package on the 49ers' baseball team, then another at mid-season when it was on a roll. Neither did well for us digitally. From a business standpoint, it just doesn't make much sense to pour a lot of resources into a sport that doesn't help us generate revenue.

Tom, the strategy for each newspaper is so different. Unlike most of the cities in North Carolina, Charlotte is more of a professional sports town, with NFL, NBA and NASCAR. Winston-Salem, Greensboro and Raleigh focus more on college coverage. It's really a matter of understanding your audience and studying the daily metrics.

Tom, I hope this sheds some light on our daily strategies - and challenges.

Again, thanks for reaching out to me.

Very, very sincerely,

Harry"
So, what was the name of the person inquiring about coverage.  Tom? I'm unclear from the response.

http://www.crazywebsite.com/Pg-Online-Funny-Videos/United_States_Constitution_Preamble_Barney_Fife_Andy_Griffith_Show_YouTube_Video.html

Continuity mistake: Andy reads the inside cover of Barney's old schoolbook which has Barney's name "Bernard P. Fife" written out many times in it, but in two previous episodes Barney's middle name is either Oliver or Milton.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:17:57 pm by 4ever niner »

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #598 on: May 22, 2017, 03:22:14 pm
Well from a business perspective with taking off the green tinted glasses... makes sense I suppose.
Always thinkin' inside the box and aimin' for mediocrity!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #599 on: May 22, 2017, 03:48:49 pm
Always thinkin' inside the box and aimin' for mediocrity!

Sounds like AD problem, not a Charlotte Observer issue.

If Basketball and football were actually good, you would get some band wagoners and new fans from the general public... and that in parallel would create more pub and for papers and news outlets to want to cover us.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos