Author Topic: Larry Ogunjobi invited to NFL combine; Austin Duke gets two game invites  (Read 10849 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
I'm going to watch the NFL Draft for the first time in years this year.
I suggest we all drink heavily while watching the draft, and if Larry is picked in the first two rounds we road trip and set fire to Boone. If he isn't we road trip and set fire to Davidson.  Who's with me?
Davidson is on the way to Boone so why not set fire to it in either scenario?

Use caution.  Davidson, the college,  leads the state in sexual assaults and ranks in top 10 nationally. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:24:25 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

cltniners

clt says watching the draft this year will great.

Maybe Larry can fund the stadium expansion.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
I'm going to watch the NFL Draft for the first time in years this year.
I suggest we all drink heavily while watching the draft, and if Larry is picked in the first two rounds we road trip and set fire to Boone. If he isn't we road trip and set fire to Davidson.  Who's with me?
Davidson is on the way to Boone so why not set fire to it in either scenario?

Use caution.  Davidson, the college,  leads the state in sexual assaults and ranks in top 10 nationally.

But rumor has it they are covering up the cases of sexual assault of geese.  ::)
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

marylandniner

• Walk On
Fox Sports mock draft has Larry going 92 overall in the 3rd round to the Cowboys.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Fox Sports mock draft has Larry going 92 overall in the 3rd round to the Cowboys.

Hopefully anyone but Seattle or cowboys. I wouldn't mind him playing in the NFC south so we can watch him more.

NewNiner

• Senior

Hopefully anyone but Seattle or cowboys. I wouldn't mind him playing in the NFC south so we can watch him more.

I would love to see him in the NFC South.  Ideally he'd work his way into a starting job and area recruits would hear "Larry Ogunjobi, Charlotte" a lot on TV.  It may be a stretch, but a man has to have dreams.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerAdvocate

I had an exchange with Judy Rose about what I viewed as the disappointing institution name on Larry's combine credentials. As others have pointed out on Twitter, the concern is that on Larry's big day, the program is going to get introduced as "N.C. HYPHEN CHARLOTTE" or some similar derivative.

Here is the credential in question (and not the first time we have seen the NFL use this nomenclature):

So I implored Judy to contact the NFL to correct this, pointing out that Larry has worked hard and is proud of the program he helped start, and getting [the hyphen treatment] would suck the air out of his big day.

Judy agreed and emailed Coach Lambert asking  if anything could be done. Coach's answer was 1) Larry introduced himself as from Charlotte at his bench event, and 2) that, unfortunately, since that's still our official name, he didn't think anything could be done, and that his credential was the same.

I think Judy anticipated that I would quote her response, so best to show it in her own words:

FYI.
I have been a strong voice in trying to get 3 chancellor to change the name of the university to the University of Charlotte. For 3 decades I have been told no. Unfortunately, Coach Lambert is correct

I am not trying to make this an enormous issue. Sadly, in the tradition of #manageexpectations, I think we need to prepare ourselves for the hyphen disappointment. And, to flog the dead horse, these are the type of little PR battles we have to start winning to build the brand. None of them individually are that important, but collectively, they contribute to devalue our brand. We must make some changes at very high levels, or else be content to be permanently relegated to "directional school" level.

I do want to thank Judy for replying to me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:33:17 am by NinerAdvocate »

9ballNiner

• Walk On
I had an exchange with Judy Rose about what I viewed as the disappointing institution name on Larry's combine credentials. As others have pointed out on Twitter, the concern is that on Larry's big day, the program is going to get introduced as "N.C. HYPHEN CHARLOTTE" or some similar derivative.

Here is the credential in question (and not the first time we have seen the NFL use this nomenclature):

So I implored Judy to contact the NFL to correct this, pointing out that Larry has worked hard and is proud of the program he helped start, and getting [the hyphen treatment] would suck the air out of his big day.

Judy agreed and emailed Coach Lambert asking  if anything could be done. Coach's answer was 1) Larry introduced himself as from Charlotte at his bench event, and 2) that, unfortunately, since that's still our official name, he didn't think anything could be done, and that his credential was the same.

I think Judy anticipated that I would quote her response, so best to show it in her own words:

FYI.
I have been a strong voice in trying to get 3 chancellor to change the name of the university to the University of Charlotte. For 3 decades I have been told no. Unfortunately, Coach Lambert is correct

I am not trying to make this an enormous issue. Sadly, in the tradition of #manageexpectations, I think we need to prepare ourselves for the hyphen disappointment. And, to flog the dead horse, these are the type of little PR battles we have to start winning to build the brand. None of them individually are that important, but collectively, they contribute to devalue our brand. We must make some changes at very high levels, or else be content to be permanently relegated to "directional school" level.

I do want to thank Judy for replying to me.

I'm surprised that she replied about this so openly.  Not surprised that she has these views.  Our athletic program moved in this direction for a reason. 

But, any changing of our name can only happen politically.  As I understand...The Board of Governors appoints the president.  And the president recommends the chancellors, while the BOGs votes on the hiring.  The President also has authority to release the Chancellor under certain conditions, but has to consult with the chair of BOGs first.  And the BOGs are elected from house and senate equally.  My guess is that (in the past) no one open to changing the name to dropping North Carolina, and leaving the name of Charlotte alone would survive.

Not sure if House Bill 39 has been passed or not.  But that would reduce the number of BOG's.  Being that Republicans have (relatively speaking) recently taken over both chambers, I would guess that (politically speaking) we may have a stronger voice because the western end of the state (traditionally leaning republican) is less intimidated by the "Great State of Mecklenburg."  In the case of UNC Charlotte, the name of Charlotte (tied to Mecklenburg) being separated from North Carolina is a deep wound with the eastern part of the state.  Why?  I don't know.  But, any Mecklenburg politician seeking state office has had to overcome this division. 

Anyway, politically speaking, maybe the waters are getting shallow enough for a movement to take place. 

mojoniner

• Walk On
Larry ran 5.09 on first run. They were speaking really highly of him and calling us Charlotte.

NinerAdvocate

Yes Mayock really likes Larry.  And it said Charlotte / CHAR when abbreviated. Good stuff all around

Very happy for Larry. His dream is coming true, deservedly so.

mojoniner

• Walk On
4.98 on 2nd run

-Charlotte49ers-

• Freshman
4.98 on 2nd run
That worries me a bit. A 4.8 would have been much better for his size.

mojoniner

• Walk On
I didn't see any 300+ guys running under 4.9

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
4.98 on 2nd run
That worries me a bit. A 4.8 would have been much better for his size.

4.98 was Kawaan Shorts fastest time at the combine. Nothing wrong with that time.

cltniners

clt endorses Larry. He made North Carolina Charlotte proud.

* Recent Posts

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos